Game of Thrones: Season 4

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
re. "Mockingbird" episode: Loved it! A lot of good movement, good action, good development. It feels as if pieces are falling into place, and we got to see a lot of good scenes with a lot of good characters. One of those episodes that felt like all forward motion and no filler.

I'm already upset that there are only three episodes left this season.

And Pyro... I don't remember if you're a book-reader for this series or not.... Just curious where you're coming up with those predictions, and how you came up with the line for this episode based on its title.

Tongo, I agree about Sansa. I found her earlier character to be the vapid "silly girl" that Petyr called her, but she was only about 14 then and that's how 14-yr-old girls often are.

Now that she's just a few years older, having been through so many heartaches and thinking she is the last of her family, she is coming into her own. And the actress is growing into the role beautifully. Truly, they all are.

(sigh) I just saw that there is no episode next week. The next episode is in two weeks. I should have seen that coming, since so many series take a week off for things like Memorial Day weekend if they air over the weekend.

Phooey.

I can't stand Sansa.I desperately hoped it would have been her that dumped the crazy broad over the edge. At least then she'd start to be interesting.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
(sigh) I just saw that there is no episode next week. The next episode is in two weeks. I should have seen that coming, since so many series take a week off for things like Memorial Day weekend if they air over the weekend.

Phooey.
The new Ryan Murphy film with Julia Roberts, Mark Ruffalo and co. will be airing next week instead.

Suspect's Reviews

re. "Mockingbird" episode: Loved it! A lot of good movement, good action, good development. It feels as if pieces are falling into place, and we got to see a lot of good scenes with a lot of good characters. One of those episodes that felt like all forward motion and no filler.

I'm already upset that there are only three episodes left this season.

And Pyro... I don't remember if you're a book-reader for this series or not.... Just curious where you're coming up with those predictions, and how you came up with the line for this episode based on its title.
Not direct spoilers but probably best read by book readers only as allude to a character not yet introduced -

Well, it was called 'Mockingbird' which was Littlefingers insignia so assumed "only Cat" and Moon Door would be this episode - LS was a just a hope since would have segued nicely after his line - if they are going to do introduce at all, thought it might be then and season could finish with Brienne and Pod meeting LS.

Really missed a trick with that one last season, was such an anti-climax, especially with
episode title!

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Poor Sansa,usually I don't like characters like that but she gets in worse and worse situations every season.Arya is getting more interesting every season,I don't want to know,but I hope she kills someone important,Stark's really deserve some kind of revenge.Good action,good dialog just good episode.That last scene was really interesting because in GOT you never know who can "slip" ...

I can't stand Sansa.I desperately hoped it would have been her that dumped the crazy broad over the edge. At least then she'd start to be interesting.
Well, the previews for the next episode look as if Sansa might get a little more interesting... We'll see.

I'd completely forgotten about the insignia.

Have I mentioned that I reeeeeeally should reread those books? Probably during the off-season...

Pedro Pascal (Oberyn) just killed-it in last nights episode speaking with Dinklage in Tyrions cell. It was a long stretch of dialogue as he told his story, and Peter Dinklage was selling it like a champ. This is why Game Of Throne is the best dialogue on television.

Btw, trying to find this photo I stumbled upon a meme that spoiled the fight for me

As for the last scene in the episode, because of that weird son of Lysa, I couldn't help but think of the John Denver song, "Fly Away." I was the only one in the room snickering. Anyway, I was glad to see what happened. That character was one I truly couldn't stand (and I mean that as a compliment to the actress).

More great stuff between the Hound and Arya. The semi-fondness/hate between these two is continually compelling.

Nice to see the character again that Brienne and Pod encountered.

Once again, Peter Dinklage amazes, even stuck in a jail cell. When Oberyn tells him the tale of Cersei's cruelty even way back when, the hurt on Tyrion's face and the total abandonment he must be feeling was palpable. I almost teared up. And his exhale of breath when Oberyn offered his services was heartbreaking.

Jon at Castle Black and Dany at Meeren were mainly just set-ups for things to come.

I must give a special mention to The Mountain and his "practice dummies" and Cersei walking mildy amongst the gore.

EDIT: TONGO, I read somewhere last night (I believe it was Entertainment Weekly's site) that the scene between Tyrion and Oberyn was the first scene that Pedro Pascal had filmed for the season. Amazing that, being his first scene, he totally nailed the character.

What I appreciated about Oberyn's scene with Tyrion was that neither of them overdid it or overacted. In fact, Oberyn's almost quiet announcement of "I will be your champion" was closer to understatement. Tyrion had no hope before that moment, having been abandoned by both Jaime and Bronn (even if both were perfectly well within their rights and sanity to say no to Tyrion's request).

Tyrion's tearing up just before the announcement, and then that slight lip-quiver as Oberyn tells him he'll champion him, were the perfect response. He knows that, really, only Oberyn wants these same people dead as much as he does -- and he's gotta feel a little like he just won the lottery.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole episode, and their bouncing back and forth among various sets of characters only made it better.

In the Beginning...
Okay, predictions.

WARNING: "Game of Thrones Predictions" spoilers below

The next three episodes are titled "The Mountain and the Viper," "The Watchers on the Wall," and "The Children," respectively.

It's clear what the major set piece in the next episode will be. No mystery there.

Episode 9 looks to be centered on the fight at the Wall. I'm guessing that means the attack on the interior side of Castle Black, with Ygritte and the Thenns and Tormund Giantsbane (who isn't even supposed to be there). I don't suspect we'll see the major battle with Mance Rayder and the surprise arrival of Stannis, although that would make for a nice condensation of events at the Wall. I do suspect that Jon will fight admirably in this battle, in the eyes of his comrades, sowing the seeds for his election as the new Lord Commander.

I also think this is the episode where Bran meets Coldhands.

It's interesting that Episode 10 is named "The Children." There are a lot of different connections that can be made there.

Firstly, Tyrion is the child of Tywin Lannister, and those of us who have read the books understand what is coming on that front. Whether it happens in Episode 9 of 10, it's hard to say, but I'm putting it here because of the "child" connection. And what's a final episode without seeing Tyrion off anyway?

Secondly, I think "children" also refers to the various Stark children. Sansa is holed up in the Eyrie, we know. But I foresee Arya and the Hound parting ways (he now has a "wound" that will likely fester, similar to the book), with her leaving him for dead (a nice nod to her list) and departing for Bravos using the coin that Jaqen H'gar gave her.

Jon will be elected Lord Commander. And Bran, maybe more interestingly than anything, will perhaps meet the Children of the Forest. That would be very early, but they've been pushing his story along and the guy who plays Littlefinger hinted at the beginning of the season that we would see the Three-Eyed Raven. If they incorporate this into the finale, non-readers are going to be floored.

Speaking of being floored, there's still that little Lady Stoneheart hanging out there somewhere. Brienne and Podrick are on the move, so it's pretty clear that they (and we) are going to meet her. After all, who are these "children" without their lady mother?

Regarding that last thing you mentioned:

WARNING: "Game of Thrones books" spoilers below
...I was *sure* the Lady Stoneheart thing was going to be an entire season ago. Everyone's freaking out about the Red Wedding, and the last episode title even meant "Mother," which seemed sure to be a double-meaning referring to both Dany and Stoneheart. I was totally floored that they didn't do it. But man, they have to now...don't they?

Only possibility I can see to counter that is that they're moving UP a lot of things, and moving BACK a lot of the more supernatural things (to be revealed in one big bunch next year)...but there have been exceptions to that already, so who knows. I can see an argument for backloading as much of the supernatural stuff as possible. Most of it, when I read it, really made me acutely aware of the fact that I was reading a book, and it's much harder for a fantasy series to be taken seriously with that kind of stuff going on.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

In the Beginning...
Regarding the thing you mentioned about the things I mentioned:

WARNING: "Game of Thrones books" spoilers below
Lena Headey recently posted to her Instagram a photo of an arrangement of stones in the shape of a heart. At the start of the season, the guy who plays Baelish teased that we would see a lady with a heart of stone. It's going to happen, and it's going to happen real soon. I really think Lady Stoneheart and, if they choose to do it, Bran meeting the Children of the Forest and the Three-Eyed Raven, will be the final reveals of Season 4.

Speaking of the supernatural aspects of the story, I actually think there's maybe some hunger among viewers to see that stuff. The creators have done a nice job of relegating that stuff to the back and making it super-rare, so that any time it happens (like when you see the White Walkers), you tend to pay attention and you know it's really important. I actually like that, because the realism of the show (the texture, the humanity, the political jockeying) is so pervasive, when the supernatural stuff pops up it's a nice kick in the head to remind you that this is a fantasy show and there are darker things at work.

I'm really curious how they're going to do the Children of the Forest. They could be child actors, or CGI, or a combination of the two.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Wasn't expecting Prince Oberyn to volunteer, the whole episode I was 100% sure they were going to capture Sandor/The Hound and he would be brought to King's Landing and end up being Tyrion's champion but yet again Thrones throws up a complete surprise.

Is it seriously 2 weeks until the next episode?? even in the UK? Ghey!

I am the Watcher in the Night
I won't spoil anything for non-readers but for those who have read the books, how do you think they, and they being Petr and Sanda cover up the murder of Lysa? There is a character missing from the TV series...so?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"