Asian Movie Challenge

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
In order to create some more discussion/awareness of Asian cinema I decided to challenge our forum members. The challenge is simple: watch movies from Asian countries. Then you can discuss them obviously. We can talk about the challenge or whatever until the challenge actually starts.

The challenge starts on May 1st and will run through August 31st.

- Only feature films count
- Rewatches count, but a film will only count once for you.
- If a film is from one of these countries it counts

I will keep tally in this post and have a leaderboard. If you want to participate just let me know and I will add your name.

Leaderboard

100 - Guaporense
60 - Sane
33 - Zotis
28 - Godoggo
27 - wintertriangles
23 - jal90
8 - jiraffejustin
7 - Frightened Inmate No. 2
6 - moviefan1996
5 - Swan
4 - christine
4 - Cobpyth
3 - bluedeed
2 - Mingusings
2 - Kaplan
2 - ScarletLion
2 - donniedarko
1 - rauldc14

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Brb, gotta find some films from Bhutan.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Oh, some challenge. Try getting people here to NOT watch Asian movies.

I probably watch more movies from Asia than any other region anyway so I'll participate.

Watched A Time For Drunken Horses by Bahman Ghobadi yesterday - I know it doesn't count yet but thought I'd mention it. My first film of his although I had seen him as an actor in Kiarostami's The Wind Will Carry Us and Samira Makhmalbaf's Blackboards. Very good movie - something people should watch to see melodrama done right.

I hope that people who participate will look at West Asian movies as well as East Asian - a lot of quality there.

Im in!

I dont think i will be changing what movies i view radically, but maybe it could be a nice change of pace to focus a bit more on Asian movies.

Im currently seeing a lot of movies from Taiwan and i would like to see as much as possible from Edward Yang, Tsai Ming-Liang and Hou Hsiao-Hsien.

From mainland China im mostly interested in seeing some Wang Bing and more of Jia Zhang-Ke. At least im pondering to watch Platform and The World.

Is West of the Tracks considered as 1 movie or 3 movies?

I dont know much about movies from Hong Kong but in that regard i can highly recommend Wong Kar-Wai. All of the films i have seen by him have been good to great. At some point i would like to see Center Stage by Stanley Kwan, which should be a masterpiece and its from Hong Kong.

I have a lot to discover from Japan. My main interest here is seeing more movies by Yasujiro Ozu, Kenji Mizoguchi, Mikio Naruse, Masaki Kobayashi and Hiroshi Teshigahara. Though ill probably sneak in a Pink Wave movie once in a while.

Ive just gone through the filmography of Apichatpong Weerasethakul in regards to Thailand and i probably wont be revisiting him. His movies are great nonetheless.

Considering South Korea i still havent seen a film from that country that clicked with me. Im interested in seeing some more Hong Sang-Soo. I have some Kim Ki-Duk movies, but i really lost interest in him after seeing Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring.

From India i saw a lot of Satyajit Ray movies in the cinema last year, so i wont be revisiting him. Im not really interested in Bollywood movies, but if someone could recommend some Indian movies outside of Bollywood it could be interesting.

Let the night air cool you off
In the case of something West of the Tracks, I would probably be willing to count them with multiple entries. So that would count for 3.

If anybody would like to share recommendations of 70s Asian movies I would appreciate it.
Demons (1971) by Toshio Matsumoto is a good one, otherwise i havent seen so many.

Is Turkey considered an Asian country? It could be swell to see some more Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Reha Erdem and Yilmaz Güney.

If anybody would like to share recommendations of 70s Asian movies I would appreciate it.
Dersu Uzala is the first thing that comes to mind.

Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees and Hausu, Oshima's films...yeah I don't know much personally. I'll probably spend a good amount of the challenge here first.