Best and worst of South Park

Tools    

In no way is this a pale imitation of Donuts thread located here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...light=simpsons

Some may say he inspired me and they'd be correct . Anyway from tomorrow i will be briefly commenting on the good and bad episodes of South Park IMO. With the knowledge that if everyone follows my good episode guide, Cartman,Randy or Butters will win the Comedy tournament .

EPISODE:1 CARTMAN GETS AN ANAL PROBE

I had to start with the pilot. In my opinion one of the worst episodes, if i had saw this first i doubt i would have continued. The best thing to look forward to if you have the DVD is the Fireside Chat Segment, no matter how pointless it is the ever changing dog routine always gets me. Also Treys Knucklebiting abduction revelation .

Regardless of what i felt of the ep as a whole, it was good to see some of the early staples of the show that later got discarded. Like the constant use of 'Kick Ass', Miss Crabtree and her "what did you say" . Also Mr.Garrisons first lesson, as we all know Christopher Columbus helped the Native Americans win their war against Frederick Douglass, and freed the Hebrews from Napoleon shortly before discovering France .

Quotes - Chef: "You children watch that fat boy now, he could be under alien control!"

Stan: "That fat bitch won't let us. Miss Crabtree: WHAT DID YOU SAY? Stan: Eh.. i said Rabbits eat lettuce. Miss Crabtree: Oh, they most certainly do.

Officer Barbtree: This is nothing out of the unusual, Cows turn themselves inside out all the time.

EPISODE 3: VOLCANO

This is the start of South Park for me. It's when the stupidity meets Trey and Matts thoughts, whether that makes the show more dumb? I don't really care it works for me .

The gang go on a hunting trip with Stans (redneck) Uncle Jimbo and his vocally impaired friend Ned. During this trip we learn that Kenny is a nasty little b@stard, Stan is a p***y and Scuzzlebutt is real . In my opinion the episode as a whole is both a criticism of US hunting laws in the 90s (no idea of any changes since?) and how every country handles disasters like Volcanos. Of course it's mostly just stupidity though .

Remember everyone Duck and Cover!

Quotes - Mrs.Cartman: ..And if you have to poo-poo just remember not to use poison ivy.

Cartman: This is like the gun i used in 'Nam . Stan:You Weren't in 'Nam . Ned: Were you stationed in Da Nang. Stan: Cartman always lies, you can't believe a word he says. Cartman: Hey, i'll blow your freakin head off. Jimbo: Careful son, you nearly spilled your beer.

Cartman: My Mom said there's alot of black people in Africa.

Cartman: Oh dude, i'm starting to have flashbacks. Kyle: What?? Cartman: Stand forth, look out for Charlies up in the trees.

EPISODE 6: DEATH

I enjoyed both episode 4 (Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride") and 5 ("An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig"), but imo this is the next great episode after Volcano. It was ballsy for Trey and Matt to make an episode about an issue as controversial as Euthansia this early. In my opinion that's just a sidestory though, it's mainly the response from Matt and Trey on the early criticisms the show had received, especially from parent watchdog groups like depicted in the episode. They took one particular criticism of "Toilet Humour" and ran with it, largely portrayed through Terence and Phillip. I like this episode alot more now than i did when i was a kid, because i think it was the closest thing to what we'd see in the best seasons (Season 5 -9 ) .

Quotes: Randy: How does it feel to be 102 Pops? Grandpa: Shoot me!

Stans Chores:

1.Take out trash
2.Feed Sparky
3.Clean Room
4.Kill Grandpa

Stan: I'm not going to kill you Grandpa! Grandpa: Ingrate! Stan: Good night Grandpa. Grandpa: You pompous son of a whore!!

Mr Garrisson: Ooh! I think i caught a touch of the Flu off Kenny this Morning. I've got a case of the Green Apple Splatters.

After asking every other adult Stan turns to the one that will surely know...

Stan: Jesus? Jesus: Yes my son? Stan: Jesus is it ok to like, help kill someone, like assisted suicide. Is that ok? Jesus: My Son. Stan: Yes?? Jesus I'm not touching that one with a 60 ft pole.

EPISODE:9 MR. HANKEY,THE CHRISTMAS POO

One of the best of the first season. It primarily deals with issues of Political Correctness,Religious Seperation and Jewish Identity. Most importantly though it's the first episode Kenny survives .

There's so many great things going on in this episode. All of the uproar about Christmas trees and anything related too religion, and not one of the parents complain about Chefs Raunchy Solonumber . Kennys many near death situations .

It's no doubt one of my favourite Kyle-centred episodes, which are usually the weakest imo. The 'I'm a Jew' song is still one of the best Trey and Matt songs to me, Cartmans proclamation of always believing in Mr.Hankey at the end . If you haven't seen this one yet get on it.

Quotes: Stan: You guys, I'm getting that John Elway football helmet for Christmas. Cartman: How do you know? Stan: 'Cause I looked in my parents' closet last night Cartman: Yeah, well I sneaked around my mum's closet too and saw what I'm getting. The Ultravibe Pleasure 2000. Stan: What's that? Cartman: I don't know but it sounds pretty sweet.

(Kyle starts singing Mr.Hankey song) :Cartman (interuppts): Don't mind him he's a very disturbed little boy.

I'm a Jew lyrics:

It's hard to be a Jew on Christmas
My Friends won't let me join in any games
And I can't sing Christmas songs
Or decorate a Christmas tree

Or leave water out for Rudolph
'Cos there's something wrong with me
My people don't believe in Jesus Christ's divinity
I'm a Jew, a lonely Jew on Christmas

Hanukkah is nice but why is it
That Santa passes over my house every year?
And instead of eating ham
I have to eat kosher latkes

Instead of 'Silent Night'
I'm singing 'Hu Hagtol Gavish'
And what the f*ck is up
With lighting all these f**king candles, tell me please?

I'm a Jew, a lonely Jew, I can't be merry
'Cos I'm Hebrew on Christmas

Really loving this so far. Have only seen the first episode from that set, and I agree that it was a pretty slow start to what's become a great series. Definitely have to check out the origins of Death and Mr. Hankey!
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

SOUTH PARK EPISODE 10: DAMIEN

HOWDY HO, SOUTHPARKATEERS!! I'm sure you'll enjoy this episode because apparently it's Matt and Treys favourite episode, and no they didn't say the same about the previous nine .

The complete absurdity of Matt and Trey is shown in this episode, when the main themes are on bullying and exclusion and they use the antichrist/ son of satan as the recipient. The thing i like most about this episode is how much it reminds me of school, especially the first 5 or 6 years. Fortunately i was never a new kid at any school, and i wouldn't want to know what the experience was like. So now that i'm older it makes me think of the way i treated new kids whether good or bad. I'm pretty sure i would've had a problem if they turned my friend into a Duck billed platypus though .

Cartmans birthday preparations, or corporate level business meetings , are among the highlights of the admittedly sub-par first season. Also the Jesus-Satan fight, that i imagine was inspired by Bernard Hopkins. Makes it my second favourite of the season after Mr.Hankey.

Quotes - Mr Garrison - Where you from Damien? Damien - The 7th layer of hell. Mr.Garrison - Oh, that's exciting my mother was from Alabama.

Damien: I'm sorry that I ruined your playground, and turned your friend in to a duck-billed platypuss. I didn't have a choice! I was doing my father's bidding.
Cartman: (Farts) Oh, Sorry, new kid. I didn't mean to fart on you, I didn't have a choice!

Mr. Mackey: Now why do you think the children don't like you?
Damien: Because... I'm the son of the Devil.
Mr. Mackey: Mmkay, now there's a start. Why else?
Damien: Because I... burn them and kill them?

Really loving this so far. Have only seen the first episode from that set, and I agree that it was a pretty slow start to what's become a great series. Definitely have to check out the origins of Death and Mr. Hankey!
Thanks Donuts . I hope you go through the seasons because it's a brilliant show. It constantly improves during the first three season , but i'd say the peak of South park was Series 4-11.

The difference between South Park and The Simpsons imo, is that SP makes episodes about what is currently happening, whether it's a good or bad episode. Yet The Simpsons still run on the same tired formula of something happening to the family, then they just litter the episode with current references. That exposes how obvious the once great characters are essentially being used as a gateway into other areas of Comedy for writers. Which is why i enjoyed your thread so much, it reminded me of the good times of The Simpsons 1-10 .

SOUTH PARK EPISODE 13: CARTMAN'S MOM IS A DIRTY SLUT

To finish the first season part of this, i'd say this is the last episode i highly recommend even though it's sequel is alot better. I still really liked Episode 11, but 12 is reserved as it's the only genuinely bad episode of the season for me at least. One thing i have to say is i don't have a clue how Matt and Trey were able to keep a show like SP on TV for one season nevermind 17 (so far) .

Cartman doesn't turn up for school so Mr.Mackey, sends Erics friends to investigate. The video they make stands to make the boys money off of his breakdown. Meanwhile Cartman tries to find out who his father is, and he quickly realizes that his MOM IS A D..... what the title says .

Cartmans identity crisis is hilarious, also the young versions of the SP adults . If i go onto the second season then i'll do this sequel so i won't say much about this now.

South Park Episode 2: Weight Gain 4000

Thought i'd finish off the first season since i'm re watching it. Good episode probably about the middle for the first season. This episode has some of Cartmans best season 1 deliveries, the whole Cartman getting taken in by the ad scene is gold to me because of his final "Beefcake!!" and his perfect squealing "but mom" routine. Garrisons story isn't all that interesting to me now but it does have some funny lines at least. My favourite scene in that part of the episode is from Officer Barbrady. Barbrady's ridiculous realization scene is so great. Obviously it is as dumb as you can get but that was Barbrady's schtick and i think it worked perfectly with him 99% of the time. Another highlight was young Mr.Garrison. It was obvious they were going to make him as bald as he is now but it is still such a great image.

One thing this episode made me realize is that I miss characters like the mayor being major parts of the show now. The show focuses on the kids and school a bit too much now imo. The Mayor was a great character when she was used, I love how openly uncaring and opportunistic she is.

Quotes:

Stan: That's impossible cartman doesn't know a rainforest from a pop tart.
Cartman: Yeah i do, pop tarts are frosted.

Geraldo: Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass.

Kyle: Hey Stan. Did you see that rainbow this morning?
Stan: Yeah. It was huge.
Cartman: Eh. I hate those things.
Kyle: Nobody hates rainbows.
Stan: Yeah. What's there to hate about rainbows?
Cartman: Well, you know. You'll just be sitting there, minding your own business, and they'll come marching in, and crawl up your leg, and start biting the inside of your ass, and you'll be all like, "Hey. Get out of my ass you stupid rainbows."
Stan: Cartman, what the hell are you talking about?
Cartman: I'm talking about rainbows. I hate those friggin' things.
Kyle: Rainbows are those little arches of color that show up during a rainstorm.
Cartman: Oh. RainBOWS. Oh yeah, I like those. Those are cool.
Stan: What were you talking about?
Cartman: Huh? Oh nothing. Forget it.
Kyle: No. What marches in, crawls up your leg-...
Cartman: Nothing.
Kyle: ...and starts biting the inside of your ass?
Cartman: Nothing.

South Park Episode 4: Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride

One of the best probably second of the season for me. I love Stan and the rests confusing with homosexuality, and especially Garrisons view on it at this point which is shown in the last quote i posted, as well as his telling Chef he does it to pick up chicks. Big Gay Al is obviously a pretty horrendous gay stereotype but he is also always in the right throughout the show, i think he is the one guy who has never done anything wrong in the show. Jimbo and Ned are the best side characters as well i really miss them. Dutin dutin doo doo

Another thing i forgot all about before watching this was chef and pips little helmet story and the inappropriate commentator ; "I haven't seen a jew run like that since.. ; DUDE!"

Quotes:

"Pip: Uh.. Mr. Chef Sir?
Chef: Yes, Pip what is it?
Pip: I still don't have a helmet.
Chef: I Know Pip the school can't afford helmets for everybody.
Pip: Yes, but couldn't we rotate who doesn't have a helmet every week, does it always have to be me?
Chef: Yes Pip i'm afraid it does.
Pip: Oh.
Chef: Sorry son, now get your ass in there."

"Cartman: No way dude. My mom says god hates gay people thats why he smoked their sodomies in .. uh France."

"Stan: What's a homosexual?
Mr.Garrison: Well, Stanley, I guess you came to the right person. Sit down. Stanley, gay people, well, gay people are evil. Evil right down to their cold black hearts, which pump not blood like yours and mine, but rather a thick, vomitous oil that oozes through their rotten veins and clots in their pea-sized brains which becomes the cause of their Nazi-esque patterns of violent behavior. Do you understand?"

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I'm so happy they dropped Pip in later seasons, his episode with the retelling of "Great Expectations" is the only episode of this show I've never actually sat through. But I miss Barbrady the most, he was actually really funny and you don't really see him nowadays.

I'm so happy they dropped Pip in later seasons, his episode with the retelling of "Great Expectations" is the only episode of this show I've never actually sat through. But I miss Barbrady the most, he was actually really funny and you don't really see him nowadays.
Yeah Pip wasn't the best, it is pretty funny that during the first two Seasons he was the main other kid instead of Butters. I actually don't mind the episode Pip (great expectations one), but i understand why so many think it is the weakest episode.

Yeah, Barbrady was in the trilogy that ended Season 19 but he wasn't that funny sadly.