The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Well, change Iron Man 3 with whatever kind of film you (usually) don't like. I can't believe you don't make certain selections when choosing what to watch.

Only Mark F watches everything.

Bluedeed-

I appreciate guys like you and Guapo; I find a lot of good movies that I would've never heard of. I would not dismiss any film that I've never heard of. But after I watch the trailer, read the synopsis, and check out a couple reviews, I have a pretty good idea if I would enjoy them. Notice that I didn't trash the movies or anyone that voted for them. I just gave a quick personal feeling, and I kept it short and sweet.

it's fine to watch what you think you'll like, but basically dismissing a category of film with several undeniably quality films is very close-minded. not singling anyone out, but that happens a lot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
People have numerous reasons to hate Woody Allen, apparently now more than ever. I have no reason to change how I feel about him or his films based on "recent" old news, no matter how much I may feel for the "victim". I've always liked Woody. Don't hate me for it. I hope it's worth a smiie.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I appreciate guys like you and Guapo; I find a lot of good movies that I would've never heard of. I would not dismiss any film that I've never heard of. But after I watch the trailer, read the synopsis, and check out a couple reviews, I have a pretty good idea if I would enjoy them. Notice that I didn't trash the movies or anyone that voted for them. I just gave a quick personal feeling, and I kept it short and sweet.
My problem with your comment was that although it was short, it was still trashing the movies, and those who voted them by saying they're not worth your time.

Also, Guapo isn't really the most open-minded movie watcher. You can tell by his constant use of statistics that he's really a populist with a love for Japanese culture and Tarkovsky.

My problem with your comment was that although it was short, it was still trashing the movies, and those who voted them by saying they're not worth your time.
I love C&M and voted for it, but didn't feel trashed or anything by Cricket's comment. I don't think it's particularly insulting when someone isn't really interested in watching a movie that I personally love. Tastes differ. Interests differ. That's just part of reality.

Also, Guapo isn't really the most open-minded movie watcher. You can tell by his constant use of statistics that he's really a populist with a love for Japanese culture and Tarkovsky.
Well described.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Woody is hit and miss for me on his first 5 films I've seen from him. There's two that I really do think are excellent though.

No, you took that the wrong way a little bit, or I wasn't clear enough. I would not disparage those films one bit, especially considering I haven't seen them. It's just a matter of personal taste, as well as maturity. I am fully aware that a movie isn't crap just because I do not like it, or because I am not interested in it. I am not one of those people who think my preference=best.

Two great films that should be much higher on the list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I feel so far behind in the 80s. I've only seen 7 of the films total here sadly. But I think a lot of my 80s favorites are going to come up. Well except for The Brave Little Toaster, which is getting royally snubbed.

never seen castle in the sky.

au revoir les enfants was #23 on my list. great movie.

MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR doesn't look very good. i've heard decent things about it from people i trust, but i'm not in any hurry to see it.

blow out is good. it's actually perfectly placed on this list for me right now. i have it at #65 as well. it has some great scenes but too many parts were just kind of meh. still a good movie.

i think woody allen is overrated, but crimes and misdemeanors is one of his best. if it wasn't for the boring beginning, it might be my favorite film of his. it's one of his deepest and most focused and most interesting. i have it at #47.

i tried watching the sacrifice for the list, but i was really tired at the time, and my eyes started to close and i missed a few subtitles so i shut it off, and decided i would wait until i've seen more tarkovsky to watch it. will revisit it someday.

Woody Allen is a creep!
I didn't feel that it was necessary to post this here on this forum, as there was no discussion about the subject, but I can't help myself now.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-so-fast.html

People should really know both sides of a story before they start shouting out judgements...

63. The Sacrifice
Andrei Tarkovsky, 1986 | IMDb | 81 POINTS
Great movie and I think it's one of Tarkovsky's weakest films. I rank it at 6/7 of his seven feature length films. Though all his feature length films are north of 80/100, this one is 85/100, hence it was good enough for my top 25 list.

I didn't feel that it was necessary to post this here on this forum, as there was no discussion about the subject, but I can't help myself now.

People should really know both sides of a story before they start shouting out judgements...
I have always thought he was creepy even before all the recent news. Just a personal opinion. We are getting of topic though. We should start a new thread "Creep or Not A Creep"

66. Mad Max 2:
The Road Warrior

George Miller, 1981 | IMDb | 73 POINTS
66th place? What???????? This should have been top 20. I was top 10 in my list.

One of the greatest films of all time. A masterpiece of the artform of cinema in all respects, a work worth of admiration, perhaps the greatest film made in the southern hemisphere of Earth. And since it's an English speaking film most people here have seen it. 66th place is something you expect a non-English masterpiece to make.

The Road Warrior is my absolute favorite movie of the Post Apocalyptic Genre. Definitely the best in the Mad MAX Trilogy. George Miller was born to direct these movies. He creates this realistic wasteland and great characters which reek havoc in it.

These movies pretty much started Mel Gibson's career.

I love the characters and the outfits they wear. Its kind of a cross between Punk Rock and S&M.

The main villain Lord Humongous looks like Jason on steroids

I had Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior at #11 on my list.
Indeed. One of the greatest films of all time. I had it around the 10th place on my list. It's pure action, kinetic energy encapsulated. No other film possesses the same visceral power as this one.