Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A wonderful documentary about the creation of The National Film Registry. Detailing it's original purpose for artists rights after ******* Ted Turner decided to buy up MGM's film library and decided to add color to old black and white movies. Clips shown include King Kong and It's A Wonderful Life *shudder* with color.

From that came the National Film Preservation Act which:

1. Directs the Librarian of Congress to establish a National Film Registry to register films that are culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.

2. Prohibits any person from knowingly distributing or exhibiting to the public a film that has been materially altered, or a black and white film that has been colorized and is included in the Registry, unless such films are labeled disclosing specified information.

3. Directs the Librarian to establish in the Library of Congress a National Film Preservation Board.

From there came the National Film Registry which then evolved into the preservation and restoration of films, which include adding 25 films per year to the registry.

The movie then proceeds to show what films have been preserved, ranging from serials, animated films, animated shorts, features, documentaries, and even little bits of cinema like the "Let's all go out to the lobby" clip with the dancing theater concessions. One of the best documentaries about film and the love of film I have seen. My only beef is I wish it was longer.

Freaks 1932

Thoroughly enjoyed this film was fascinated by it to be honest. I have now started looking for spurs which this movie was origionally based on
9/10

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Master-Wow. This really is a very....perplexing piece of cinema. I am unsure as to what the theme or the "point" of the film is at the moment, but the film is still great though. The cinematography is magnificent. One of the most beautiful films in recent memory. The acting is outstanding,brilliant, and awe-inspiring. Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman give outstanding performances,like all-time great performances. This movie is complex to say the least, makes There will Be Blood seem tame in comparison.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
The Master-Wow. This really is a very....perplexing piece of cinema. I am unsure as to what the theme or the "point" of the film is at the moment, but the film is still great though. The cinematography is magnificent. One of the most beautiful films in recent memory. The acting is outstanding,brilliant, and awe-inspiring. Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman give outstanding performances,like all-time great performances. This movie is complex to say the least, makes There will Be Blood seem tame in comparison.

It is also shot in orgasmic 70mm, too, so imagine what it would have looked like on the big screen. I am gutted I missed out on a Q&A with Paul Thomas Anderson a few years ago in Melbourne where they were projecting The Master in crisp 70mm, and not downgraded to a 35mm projection like so many theatres do.

You're right, it is an exceedingly perplexing film, perhaps too much to grasp in one viewing, as it has so much substance. I felt it to be a bit too aimless and desultory at times, but it was certainly a step in the right direction for PTA, as this is inarguably his most personalised piece yet.

Well, at least you want to watch a 540 minute piece about genocide and mass murder... I've seen a bit of it, and it is certainly one of the quintessential documentaries. If anyone has the balls, go for it.
It's pretty good. I think it's my second favorite documentary.

It's pretty good. I think it's my second favorite documentary.
Did you watch it all in the one sitting?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
It is also shot in orgasmic 70mm, too, so imagine what it would have looked like on the big screen. I am gutted I missed out on a Q&A with Paul Thomas Anderson a few years ago in Melbourne where they were projecting The Master in crisp 70mm, and not downgraded to a 35mm projection like so many theatres do.
Or in digital, like the majority of theaters do.

Or in digital, like the majority of theaters do.
Well, yes, many theatres are doing that now, although there are a few locally nearby me that still do a traditional projection. Paramount just recently discontinued distributing 35mm prints to theatres. Sad news.

I'm sure you've seen it, but I'd highly recommend Happiness, and the rest of Todd Solondz's films for that matter.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Happiness is fantastic. Darkly comic,hilarious, yet painfully sincere character-study.

You're right, it is an exceedingly perplexing film, perhaps too much to grasp in one viewing, as it has so much substance. I felt it to be a bit too aimless and desultory at times, but it was certainly a step in the right direction for PTA, as this is inarguably his most personalised piece yet.
I didn't find the film particularly aimless. Phoenix' character was definitely lost, but the film captures everything perfectly throughout the whole running time, in my opinion. It never felt desultory or aimless to me or at least not more aimless or desultory than life is.

I think it's one of the most interesting and rich films of recent years and it has a great rewatchability value. It also looks amazing!

I'm very glad you liked it, Lucas!

Happiness is fantastic. Darkly comic,hilarious, yet painfully sincere character-study.
Todd Solondz is one of the few true filmmakers left on the independent circuit in America. He tackles the taboo with such a great degree of temerity in his work, without coming across as vulgar or exploitive. Takes talent to do that.

I didn't find the film particularly aimless. Phoenix' character was definitely lost, but the film captures everything perfectly throughout the whole running time, in my opinion. It never felt desultory or aimless to me or at least not more aimless or desultory than life is.

I think it's one of the most interesting and rich films of recent years and it has a great rewatchability value. It also looks amazing!
I found the film quite muddled in its middle acts. I'm not denying this was intentional from PTA, because it most certainly was (he is an incredibly accomplished screenwriter), but it has never sat straight with me, even if I can acknowledge its thematic intent. Again, I have only seen it twice, and the second viewing proved much more effective than the first, so perhaps these faults will diminish upon another inevitable viewing sometime down the road.

It certainly does look amazing, though. Probably the best photographed American film since No Country for Old Men or The Assassination of Jesse James.

Identity 6.8/10

I enjoyed it from start to finish, yet I can't help thinking it could've been a lot better.
You're right because I couldn't get into it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I took a short-break from the cinematic arts, ah, yes, lasted all of two days, but I am hoping to come back strong, with this movie, and the two other flicks that I plan on watching. So far, I am one for one.

The Box: The Box is a film directed by Richard Kelly, however, contradicting common sense, that didn't actually make me excited to see this film. Let me explain, on one-hand, Richard Kelly directed Donnie Darko. Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies ever-made, until recently, it actually sat atop my top one-hundred and fifty favorite movies of all-time. (It now rests comfortably between The Prestige and The Dark Knight.)

However, Richard Kelly also directed Southland Tales in 2007, the movie had Justin Timberlake, Dwayne Johnson, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Seann William Scott. In other-words, it had known names, however, none of which known for being extremely talented actors. The movie didn't feel like Donnie Darko, rather, it felt like what others might think Donnie Darko was. I didn't find Donnie Darko messy, incoherent, or too confusing, whereas this was an absolute feast when it came to being allover the place.

So, anyway, two years later, Richard Kelly decided to give it another shot with The Box, based on a short-story that also made it into a Twilight Zone episode, and I have to say that this was a massive improvement off of Southland Tales, albeit not as good as Donnie Darko. The movie isn't brought into prominence through its strong performances, they're commendable though. Cameron Diaz can act well on a good day, James Marsden is also capable. (X-Men and the Straw Dogs' remake, albeit yes, the remake wasn't great, I thought he did well in it.)

Though, the best performance easily comes from Frank Langella, who I thought did really well in this movie. However, no, it wasn't the acting, rather, the visuals, concept, and stylization of the film that I think made me enjoy it most. It kept me entertained especially toward the end, when I felt that the characters were at their peek in maturity. The concept was a little messy, but it was also ambitious, and didn't feel like it was being bizarre for the sake of being bizarre like Southland Tales, but felt like it was something to behold.