One Movie A Day Remix

→ in
Tools    

Damn, Nebs! Surely even in New Zealand there must've been something better to do than that?
There probably is in New Zealand but I an in Australia

I don't feel insulted Honey i like people from the land of the long white cloud

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Day 65: July 4th, 2010

After Hours

What is the very worst night you ever had...?

If I had to pick one director that is my all time favourite, it would have to be Mr. Martin Scorsese.

An ordinary guy has the worst night of his life after he agrees to meet up with a girl he met at a coffee shop. Thing go from bad to worse as the night goes on.

Even though Scorsese is my favourite director, I have my doubts about some of his films. Not everyone is perfect. I had my doubts about this film, I wasn't sure I would like it. To be fair though, I had no idea what it was about. It was one of those, judge a book by its cover situations. So here is a life lesson for the young ones out there, I'm sure you've never heard this one before. "Never judge a book by it's cover".

When you have a film resume like Scorsese does, its easy for a film such as this to get lost in the mix. When you have films like Taxi Driver, Goodfellas and his Oscar winning film The Departed, it's hard to stand out. So I take an appreciation to the little films he does that are in my opinion just as strong as his other work, but never seem to get the recognition. I really dig Bringing Out The Dead and After Hours is another film that surprised me quite a bit.

There is an old saying for writing a script. You want to take your character, make him climb a tree and while he is up there, throw rocks at him. Eventually you let him down. This is suppose to be like a story, the character sees a challenge, tries to overcome it, sees conflict and eventually the falling action is resolved. With After Hours, Scorsese keeps our character up in that tree and continues to throw rocks at him no matter what.

I really like the New York feel this film has, even if it is outdated today. The streets act as characters themselves. Settings in Scorsese films tend to do that, look at his latest flick Shutter Island. After Hours has our main character, who is kind of a jerk at times, suck in tough situations, that only get worse as the night goes on. I kept thinking to myself, what would I do in that situation.

For a film with no action, it is pretty suspenseful. The whole film is the reaction of characters to certain things. Most of it is negativity towards our character. Not only does this film stand as one of Scorsese's most underrated films, I'd say it's underrated in general. I never hear anyone talk about it and when I mention it to someone, they just seem to have a blank look on their face. After Hours should and needs to be seen by more people. It's an entertaining movie from a master filmmaker.

Suspect's Reviews

Day 66: July 5th, 2010

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Who will survive and what will be left of them?

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre claims to be based on true events. The events, as far as I can tell, involve a man who would kill his victims, then wear their skin. Leatherface does this very well, his demented, mentally challenged terror strikes fear in the hearts of those who are in the film and sitting in the chairs at home. The first experience of him swinging the door open and slamming that mallet into the head of his victim is memorable for the sheer visceral nature of it all.

The film was directed by Tobe Hooper and made him a horror icon. More than 30 years later, people still talking about this film and it has spawned numerous sequels and a film franchise reboot for the newer generation. TCM is low budget horror as it should be, you either hate it or love it.

Now I'm going to contradict that last sentence and say I'm in the middle. While I love the style of the film, how it was shot, what it took to get it made and the cultural impact of it all, the film definitely rubs me the wrong way sometimes. For one it has one of the most annoying and hated characters in the history of film. I'm talking about Franklin, the big loud moth wheelchair sloth who bitches and complains about every little thing. I can honestly say that if he were not in the film, I would have enjoyed it immensely.

The gritty documentary feel, this film excels at it. The atmosphere is here, the house itself is terrifying, with the bones everywhere and the meathooks just waiting for a body to be thrown on. The leatherface character is one to be afraid of, he doesn't speed walk to kill his victims like Jason, Michael and the Fisherman from I Know What You Did Last Summer, he full on runs after you. Chainsaw blaring.

The film ends abruptly, which was perfect. You are thrown into this mayhem, then immediately taken out. It's a sudden jolt that you do not expect. While this film is not one of my favourite horror films of all time, I can say that I appreciate and respect it a hell of a lot.

Day 67: July 6th, 2010

Groundhog Day

He's having the worst day of his life... over, and over...

There are tons of people who have that one movie that they can watch over and over again and never really get sick of it. I'm sure there are dozens here that have a few movies like that and I'm one of them. Groundhog Day fits into this category for me.

Bill Murray shines in the role of Phil, a man who hates everything and everyone around him (big stretch) but he falls into some kind of time loop while in Punxsutawney, PA covering the groundhog story. He is literally living this one day, which he hates, over and over again until he looks at his life from a different perspective.

The lack of reveal as to why this is happening is perfect, we don't need to know the whys or the hows, everything is just happening. Phil goes through the motions of slowly getting things as the same day happens again and again. It's hard to have something be so repetitive and yet still be fresh. Groundhog Day handles this problem with ease, making certain events either hilarious (him trying to pick up his new producer) or heartbreaking (he tries to save a homeless man from dying). Eventually Phil does snap out of his loner attitude and cheers everyone up that is around him.

It is never stated how long this time loop is for in the film, but a counting man will see there are 34 some odd depictions of a different day. If you were to listen to a certain director's commentary track you will learn it went on a lo longer than that.

The film is funny, fresh and original. Interesting to see that one of their best collaborations (Ramis & Murray) was their last, not including video games or yet to be released third incarnations of a ghostbusting series. They had a falling out over the tone of the film. One wanted a more philosophical approach, while the other wanted a comedic one. While I'm glad they settled on the comedic one, you can't help but see that there is a mixture of both.

Groundhog Dog is a great film, one of the best comedies ever and is great to watch, over...and over.....and over....

It is never stated how long this time loop is for in the film, but a counting man will see there are 34 some odd depictions of a different day. If you were to listen to a certain director's commentary track you will learn it went on a bit longer than that.
Yeah, Ramis estimates he was trapped for about 10 years.

Day 68: July 7th, 2010

Panic Room

It was supposed to be the safest room in the house.

Fincher is a director who knows what he wants and he will stop at nothing to achieve that goal. He is so detail oriented that it in some way reminds me a bit of Kubrick. I've loved everyone of his films in one way or another, I always found that each one had something to offer. Panic Room is no different, sure it is one of his weaker films, but not every director can have masterpiece after masterpiece.

Panic Room stars Jodie Foster, who moves into this new house with her teenage daughter, new comer Kristen Stewart. She discovers that the house comes with a panic room. A safe room wired with camera monitors, separate telephone and a thick steel door. No one can get into it. Sure enough they need to go into it because some bad guys want inside the house. What can the film be without a little bit of a twist? What they want is actually inside the panic room.

Kristen Stewart does a pretty good job here, she was roughly 11 years old when she acted in this film. I don't really know what happened to her acting ability, but this film shows that at some point in her life she did have some talent. Maybe given the right material she can work something out. It's even more impressive that she is able to hold up well against Jodie Foster. To be honest, I've never really been a big fan of her. I find her too cold in all her roles for me to be able to connect to her, even in this one. She does a decent enough job for the film as a thriller, but as a mother with her daughter, I needed more.

Fincher's usual style is here, brooding and dark. He uses the camera to gives us a unique view of things and blends it with the use of CGI to go through inanimate objects, like a chair or coffee pot handle. These small details are why Fincher is one of my favourite directors working today. He loves the craft of filmmaking and it shows in all his films. He doesn't make a film for the sake of it, he wants to tell a story and contribute some form of art to the history of cinema.

The three bad guys all do well and each have their own little conflicts with themselves. The thrills are here, but the final act of the film tends to fall apart. The cliches show up and the finale doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the film. Sledgehammer to the face, yet still have the ability to wrestle another human being down to the ground is a bit far fetched, specifically for a film so dead set on being based in reality. There are many little things littered throughout the film that frustrate me that lower the film in my opinion. Panic Room is mild entertainment, don't expect another Fincher film here. While it does have his style here and there, Panic Room lacks the originality and dedication of his other films. He does show care for it though, it just feels like the lonely kid in the corner that the other kids make fun of.

Day 69: July 8th, 2010

From Beyond

Humans are such easy prey.

Scientist create a device that stimulates the pineal gland, making it possible to see these abnormal creatures living among us and interact with them. These creatures are vicious and will most likely bite your head off, like Combs says in the film "like a gingerbread man."

This cheesy and campy flick was gross and surprisingly fun. The plot is ridiculous and the events that happen are even more so, yet you are there cheering it all on. Jeffery Combs, the creepiest bastard alive, is the lead scientist. He's famous for the role of Dr. Herbert West in another Gordon flick, Re-Animator.

The first experiment goes wrong, obviously and the boss unfortunately gets his head bitten off, Combs he is thrown in an institution. They think he is schizophrenic, but one woman wants to hear his case. She believes him and along with Ken Foree (shout out to my boy) go back to the house to confront this machine and the monsters it brings out.

Of course she gets sucked in by the perverse power of it all and flips the switch back on numerous times. Resulting in a scene in which she is almost raped by this half man half creature while Combs is in the basement getting eating alive, only to be saved by Foree. His head is in this creatures mouth and when he is saved, his hair is all gone. Okay, I'll roll with it.

As I mentioned earlier this is a Stuart Gordon film, his horror style is present here at all times. The perverse sexuality, the violence, the comedy, everything fits this film nicely. The special effects in this film take you back to the days before computer generated images. It feels real, looks fake and is 100% disgusting. Perfect for this type of film.

This film is not for everyone, it's a genre piece. Most Gordon films have a dedicated audience, you know you'll like it or not. It doesn't go out of it's way to explore this realm of reality that these creatures live in. It's a drawback because they could have gotten really creative with some of the images and story structure.

This is a horror film that doesn't have many jump scares that try and scare people. The film is more grotesque and in your face. It wants you to feel uncomfortable, not scared. It wants you reaching for the barf bag. Sometimes it works, sometimes it unfortunately doesn't. It does blend the genres of sci/fi and horror rather well and will most likely get you talking. The only problem is getting into a conversation with someone else who has seen it.

Day 70: July 9th, 2010

Year One

Meet your ancestors

It seems odd to break up two Ramis films with the dry Panic Room and such a polarizing film like From Beyond, but that's what this is all about. Any movie, any day, any genre.

Here we have Year One, the pairing of Jack Black and Michael Cera. An odd choice for sure, but they do end up complimenting each other's comedy style. Once one of them gets banished from their tribe, the two of them go on a journey through our biblical history. Their journey involves rescuing the women they love and their tribe from the city of Sodom.

So the whole pitch behind this film was to have today's style of comedy, which is the dead-pan, let's point out the obvious, talk to ourselves, modern humour to an ancient historical film. It will be hilarious, someone thought. ?Having Jack Black run around, doing his physical funny stuff he does and someone else, someone who is currently hot and in with the popular crowd. That kid from Superbad, Michael Cera.

As a comedy film, the movie stinks. It's script tries for some pretty basic laughs and the only ones you'll get are from the two actors trying their best to save this deadweight material. The intrusion of these two into biblical history is funny once, but overdone later on. The relationship they seem to have with the women they love is typical they fall in love for no reason fare.

The laughs are few and far between and only from two people who try their hardest to get some humour from a humourless script. Ramis direction is sub-par and nothing stands out. It's hard to watch a film like groundhog day and love it so much, then see something like this from the same guy.

The cameos are expected and some are lame. We don't need to see McLovin'. His inclusion in this film is only because he was McLovin'. I thought Year One was funny the first time I saw the trailer. I should have stuck with that one trailer and skipped the film. Two comedians can only hold up a film for so long before it falls from underneath them. They need the material to further the comedy, this had nothing.

Day 71: July 10th, 2010

Natural Born Killers

The Media Made Them Superstars.

You can always make a bad movie from a great script and you can always make a good movie from a bad script. Both are hard to do, because...

A: If you have a really great and tightly written script, it should be hard for the director to screw it up.

B: If the script is wooden, full of plot holes and overall poorly written, you have no material to work with.

Natural Born Killers is somewhat of a conundrum to me, personally. I love the script and the idea that Stone wanted to accomplish. So the two should go hand in hand, but the final product is some kind of acid trip that a student filmmaker with a budget would produce. It's got no sense of direction, it weaves in and out of every possible direction and film stock.

Natural Born Killers is in your face and brutal with it's message. Mission accomplished Mr. Stone. Let me ask you this though, even though you've accomplished your goal, does it make it a good/successful film. Successful in your eyes, yes, because you've invoked some kind of emotion out of the viewer. Good? That's highly debatable. Natural Born Killers has the underlining of a good film, the overcoat is what is disturbing.

This film gives me headaches. This is surprisingly, the third time I've seen it. One was for school though, which ignited a hot debate. The class was virtually split down the middle of like/hate it. There was no one in the middle. I think NBK is a perfect example of one of those types of movies whether you love it or hate it. I wouldn't go as far as saying I hate it, but I'm definitely not fond of it.

Woods is great and Lewis has her trailer trash look down pat. Her performance is annoying, yet perfect for the character. The film itself starts off really well, sets a tone that I expected to be followed throughout. Stone enters into some dark comedy bits, cartoon animation, documentary/reality television/horror/everything. The film literally gave me a headache the first time I watched it because it is so disjointed. Yet here I am watching it again for a third time. Is Stone secretly a genius? Or am I a glutton for punishment?

The film is something to watch though, at least once. For anyone interested in film, listen to Stone's commentary on this film. Everything he did he had a reason behind it. There is a reason there is close to 18 different film formats present here. Take it as a quick film lesson, for what not to, or to do. Which ever way you look at it. His ideas are good, his presentation is there, but it's all a mess. He tries way too much for a film that doesn't really call for it.

Good to see these additions to your thread, TUS. I thought nothing of Panic Room when I saw it. I have a copy somewhere around here, so maybe I'll take a look at it again someday.

Day 72: July 11th, 2010

The Fifth Element

It Mu5t Be Found

The Fifth Element is my second favourite Luc Besson film and one of his more ambitious projects. It deals with a taxi driver in the future, one day a package literally falls into the backseat of his cab. This package is a woman, a beautiful woman that he must protect because she is the fifth element. Oh, and the world is going to end.

This film is fun, plain and simple. It's a sci/fi outing that doesn't take itself seriously and has quite the impressive cast. Bruce Willis does his tough guy routine here with bits of comedic relief. Think John McClane in space, that might be how he was sold on the film. Supporting roles go to Ian Holm as Father Vito Cornelius, a man who knows a lot about the fifth element, but doesn't have the brawn to keep it protected. Chris Tucker as Ruby, a celebrity that likes to talk and talk and talk. Something that all Chris Tucker roles have in common is that he has a big mouth. Here, it's not irritating like in Rush Hour 3. Milla Jovovich is the fifth element, an orange haired female ass kicker who looks great while doing it. This role is where she got noticed.

The villain is played by non other than Gary Oldman himself. The guy is a great villain and his take on the evil Zorg is both humourous and sad. He doesn't really strike fear into your heart, but you know the man in dangerous. His outfit is ridiculous, as is almost everyone else's attire in this film, yet it doesn't distract from his evil doings.

The film is almost the complete opposite of what many sci/fi films are like, in terms of presentation and look. This future is bright and colourful, not the neon glows of Blade Runner, but the bright yellows of taxi cabs or the watery blues of opera singing aliens. This is one of the reasons why this film stands out for me, it's so vibrant and cheerful, even in it's violence.

I dig The Fifth Element and it's a great film it sit back and enjoy watching. It juggles both sci/fi and action very well and is quite funny at times. The visual effects, while not stunning by todays standards, fit perfectly well for this type of film. It's effects reflect well on the reality that is created for the film. Oh and one more thing I need to say about this flick...it also stars Luke Perry.

Day 73: July 12th, 2010

Election

Reading, Writing, Revenge.

A high school teacher's life spirals out of control when he complicates things for one student by entering another into the presidential election. Ferris Bueller plays the teacher. The legally blonde Elle Woods is Tracy Flick, the overachieving girl running for president and Chris Klein is the one student tricked into running against her. Alexander Payne cleverly uses the high school setting and antics to poke fun at the political system that runs countries today.

Election has many things going for it. For one, it's incredibly funny. Everyone plays their roles seriously that it's hilarious. Witherspoon is Tracy Flick, without a doubt, my favourite role she has done and her best performance to date. Her goodie attitude is just a shell for her willingness to do anything to get ahead. Broderick is great as the teacher people seem to hate, yet I oddly found myself on his side a lot of times. Sure, he makes some horrible decisions, but you feel sorry for the character because things simply just don't go his way. Finally Klein, an actor I hate because he has no range, here is actually enjoyable. His out of the loop state of mind is fun and he becomes the enemy of Flick without even knowing it.

Election has smart writing and is well directed by Payne. I find no faults in the film from a technical stand point, it flows well, hits the right tones at the right times and I find myself wanting to watch it every time it's on. Election seems to be one of those films that not many people know about or simply think it's not good. But those who have seen it give it praise, well deserved praise. It might not seem like the type of flick you'll enjoy, but give it a chance and I'm sure it will impress.

Pick Flick.

Day 74: July 13th, 2010

Mystery Team

There's something fishy going on down at the sardine factory! I think it's fish!

Every so often you'd give a certain film an extra point here or there because you either love the people who do it, or respect the way they did it. Mystery Team gets some extra love from me on both of these accounts. Derrick Comedy is a crude sketch team that I find hilarious. One of them is better known for his role as Troy on Community. He also won an Emmy for writing on the hit show 30 Rock. Now he's taking that little bit of fame and helping to push this film get the recognition it deserves.

Mystery Team is a comedy that sends up those old detective film noir style films. It involves three guys who are still young at heart and in mind, solving mysteries. Like who took a bite out of old lady hummings pie, or who stole little lucy's bike. But when one girl comes by their booth and asks for their help, they find themselves way over their heads. She asks them to find out who killed her parents. A much shorter way of putting it would be a bunch of kids try to solve an adult mystery.

The material is well written, some jokes miss here and there, but a lot of it is funny. As I mentioned before, some of their stuff is crude, so expect it here. Having to fish out a ring out of a toilet full of chunky things I don't want to describe because a stripper peed it out in there....is just one scene that pops into mind. Most of the comedy comes from the dialogue interactions of the three main characters. Jason, Duncan and Charlie, all of them writer's of the film as well.

Shot on a low budget, the film looks pretty good for what it's worth. It's obviously no Hollywood fare, but it is professional enough for people to sit through it and not really notice. Again, all done on their own terms, so extra respect points there.

The script itself movies along nicely and if you're a fan of the genre, then you'll appreciate how this one unfolds. They poke fun at themselves numerous times so it is never to be taken seriously and yes, the film is a little predictable. Yet, for me it is forgivable, because they are poking fun at that genre and that genre always has those types of twists in the story.

Give this film a look, it might surprise you a little. If you don't like the trailer, or have no interest after watching it, then I would think the feature is not for you.