Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Bonnie and Clyde (1 view)

It's strong acting outperforms it's unbalanced story , but it's a lot of fun to see these now veteran actors in their youth.

Shot with considerable talent , the story tells us everything about the relationship this gang had - but I'm still clueless as to what they actually did to warrant getting chased by the cops. We see them rob about two banks , but these scenes never stick - they aren't viewed very importantly. What really works are the actors themselves , they have a great chemistry together and form a lovable bunch.

The pacing is pretty awkward though , one second everyone is relaxing - then they are robing a bank out of nowhere. Building of suspense is pretty absent throughout as well , but still a pretty fun movie.

Thanks Meatface your face looks good pink

I'm giving you a thumbs up because of your choice of film to watch, but I disagree with your rating and your review. That's actually how I've been repping alot lately, so if you gave it a 1/5 I would still be inclined to give you a rep point, for the fact that you're giving these films a chance.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Kill Bill : Volume One (3 viewings)

Tarantino's weakest writing of his career , paraded by fantastic music and amazing action set pieces. It teases you with the allure of a great film and disappoints when you explore further.

Dialogue is the something Tarantino has always done best with (especially Reservoir Dogs ) , although it rarely shows through here. Kill Bill cashes in it's words for blood and guts - a rather terrible deal , and even for the bits of great talking there's a lot more terrible cheesy talks to be heard.

"Silly rabbit tricks are for kids"

What kept me watching was not the story , but the great musical choices and visual beauty. It's just fun seeing such cool songs played to the scenic imagery of the film. One thing to take from this are the looks , the gigantic fountains of blood , the transition from a blood drenched yellow interior to a snowy backyard , the glimmering of a masterfully crafted sword.

In paying tribute to older films , Tarantino made his first poor film. A classic example of a film less than the sum of it's parts - a handful of great scenes do not make a complete great film.

a handful of great scenes do not make a complete great film.
It's actually half of a great film. Personally I think Tarantino's only miss step so far has been Death Proof.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
It's actually half of a great film. Personally I think Tarantino's only miss step so far has been Death Proof.
I agree with the first half of your statement; but I really like Death Proof.

I agree with the first half of your statement; but I really like Death Proof.
Same for me, I haven't really been disappointed by a Tarantino movie yet.

M (1 viewing)

I'm split in two about this classic and it truly is a classic.

Directed by the widely acclaimed Fritz Lang when films had just started to implement sound , it's amazing to see such an old motion picture that is on par with the quality of modern films. Lang shot this movie in the midst of the Nazi party's rise in Germany - so it features rare commentary about the Nazi's usage of power from the perspective of a German person (and before World War II). Though I will throw my appreciation for the time it was made quickly out of the way and judge it based on my own merits.

The first half is incredible , an enormous story of a city going mad. A murderer of children causes distrust among everyone , the police can't catch him and citizens start taking the law into their own hands. The focus rotates from all different groups of people , normal citizens , police , criminals , children , beggars , it gains a scope few other thrillers do. It's a wonderfully fast and chaotic dance - your forced on your toes and then you hit a brick wall : this is the second act.

No more characters are introduced from here on and what follows is a very disappointing and drawn out conclusion to a superior start. We start with a contrived pursuit of the killer and then it starts to fold into itself : leading all these loose ends which made the first half so fun - into one tight lane.

It's still very enjoyable and anyone of significant historical knowledge should warm to it much more than me , who knows little.

I love the second half of this movie and didn't find it contrived, it seemed more inevitable to me. Having both sides of the law after you, with nowhere to go. And Lorre screaming out during the 'trial' is classic. But I am really glad you watched it, and liked it (kinda).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
meaty, I commend you because you are truly growing and maturing, and I hope that you believe that some of us are partially responsible for that. You see, Harry cannot even comprehend (unless he goes way back into your ancient history) that the first few months I was here that you were being criticized for not only attitude but knowledge. Now, I realize that you still have more to learn, but you seem to have grown a dozen years in the year and a half I've been here. I also think that your ratings are becoming more inclusive (more of that middle ground), and I bet some of your ratings will grow with more watchings.

Porco Rosso (1 viewing)

After deeply enjoying Spirited Away , I quickly wanted to see another from Miyazaki and the Studio Ghibli crew. This tale about a pig humanoid sea pilot is more grounded to a simple story than the engrossing Spirited Away , but the same dream world principles apply making for another immensely entertaining , visually pleasing , animated film.

Breathtaking dog fights over the ocean , quickly you understand the thrill of being a pilot. Marco (the pig guy) sets out to rescue fifteen kidnapped girls from the warm hearted sky pirates , he shoots their plane up but doesn't kill anyone : his policy is to live and fly. He's blessed with the talent of flight and the love of two women , one a widower of two pilots with a beautiful singing voice and the other a plane mechanic who Marco takes under his wing.

Richly colorful in the air and on the ground , it's drawn images take you away to a world where mostly anything is possible. Animation is the perfect way to create a fantasy setting and this is the motto of filmmakers. I highly recommend this to anyone seeking quality escapism , my interest in this director and animation studio has skyrocketed.

A system of cells interlinked
I think you are just a bit too young to get that Trix joke in Kill Bill, Meaty. It's from a cereal commercial from the 70s/80s.

Meanwhile, I agree that the line is pretty bad. I love that flick, though.

In the Beginning...
I think you are just a bit too young to get that Trix joke in Kill Bill, Meaty. It's from a cereal commercial from the 70s/80s.
Wow, it's staggering that now there are people too young to get that line. I feel old.

They had Trix commercials in the 90's and I'm sure they continue to , then again when was the last time you watched Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network ?

Role Models (1 viewing)

These overly offensive "Apatow Company" films are becoming run of the mill repetition , even though this one has some particularly interesting ideas it's not able to rise through the muck of being one in a hundred.

I like Paul Rudd and Sean William Scott , so you can't really pin this on the actors (especially the kids) - you can pin it on the writer who's brought a few funny jokes , some great ideas , and the rest is buy it off the shelf done a million times. You could also pin it on the director who fails to make the fantasy battle scenes as fun as they could be.

If you are a sucker for this recent trend of comedies , you probably won't be disappointed - but those looking for the next original one should wait it out for Apatow's actual third film.

(Joe Truglio was genuinely hilarious in all of his scenes though)

"Let's do this we shall !"

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've heard nothing but good things from this one. So I will be checking it out.

Suspect's Reviews