Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

No Country For Old Men - DVD review (2 viewings)

Plot : Llewelyn Moss is out hunting one day and stumbles upon the aftermath of a drug transaction shootout , where he obtains an incredible amount of money.

Story : The first time seeing this movie I had no clue what to expect and I was unsure of if this would be any good the second time. Though the longer I had not seen it , the more I wanted to go and see it again. Now viewing it in the comfort of my own house - I have to say , this film is amazing.

As the title implies Tommy Lee Jone's character is a cop who can't stop this professional killer Anton Chigurh who is driven by fate and destiny and never forgives. Moss attempts to escape Chigurh's tight grip on his location , but eventually confronts him in combat on multiple occasion's. It's deeply original and jumps out of it's genre for not relying on it's suspense for the depth of the movie.

Visuals : The film starts in a enormous desert with mountains far into the horizon and from there it goes to many different locations of varying size. The cramped and small spaces where the action takes place also offers a lot in the originality of this beautiful film.

This is also something I appreciated much more on the second viewing , where in the first time I was only impressed by the huge desert scenes. The suspenseful action scenes are actually better the second time around , which really surprised me because they seemed so suspenseful before : once you know how it all goes down , it's really quite fast.

Synopsis : Incredibly more complex and original than Fargo. Like most of my favorite movies it got much better on the second viewing.

I'm glad you went back and saw No Country for Old Men again, cos it didn't deserve the pasting of 2/5 you gave it last time.

I know you don't read books much, but if you read No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy you'd be able to see how much the Coens owe to him for the film, and specially for the dialogue. It'd be nice to compare Fargo with NCfOM after reading that to see how the scripwriting compares with an original Coens script.

Good work anyway for eating your words

Blood Simple (1 viewing)

Plot : When shady bar owner Marty's wife leaves him for a bar employee , he seeks revenge on both of them.

Story : There seems to be a dark underlying theme here connecting the characters , but it never reveals itself - which really makes this a pretty boring suspense movie. The characters have nothing to define them other than the few things they do. Once you get about half way in , it's hard to care what happens to the story anymore. It really relies on it's twists to get any entertainment and even fails at that.

Visuals : The only redeeming part of the movie , which I'm sure owes a lot to it's digital restoration. Though the colors here are pretty dull , from time to time there will just be a brilliant looking idea used. Not to say every frame of the movie is magnificent : the quality only comes in short amounts at a time - rather than overall throughout.

Synopsis : Coen's first and worst film - especially put to shame by their latest : No Country for Old Men.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Wait a second, The No Country for Old Men DVD isn't out yet

Thanks for that No Country For Old Men review.

It's so interesting watching people grow and come into their own isn't it? I remember the first time I saw Blood Simple and I didn't think much of it either, I'm not sure I'm ready to call it a masterpiece yet but after getting almost another 20 years of movie watching under my belt since then my perceptions have changed and I appreciate a lot of different styles of film. I also view them in a completely different way. It will be interesting to me as well to see if you go through the same process if you continue to watch a lot of movies. Like it or not Mr. Sprite you too will get older and perhaps wiser.

Blood Simple (1 viewing)
The characters have nothing to define them other than the few things they do.

Max: What will I do. "What will he do, oh my god what will he do?" Do, do, do, do, do. Why isn't the issue here who I am?
Uncle Teddy: Because, Maxwell, what you do defines who you are.
Max: No, Uncle Teddy. Who you are defines what you do, right Jude?
Jude: [awkward] ... Well, surely it's not what you do, but the, uh... the way that you do it.
now let's break into song!

Michael Clayton (1 viewing)

Plot : Michael Clayton (George Clooney) fixes problems for his huge law firm , but this time it's much bigger than anything he's ever done.

Story : As most of you know , I really enjoy movies with straight-forward stories with original themes - this movie is anything but. It slowly reveals what's actually happening as the film goes and really suffers from that , because by the end of the movie there wasn't a character I liked at all. The story for this suspensefull film , really fails at having any power - and seems pretty hillarious that it was nominated for best picture.

Visuals : Though most of the movie looks fine , it never reaches any amazing moments with it's sight display. Lots of shots where the character will be in the shot with a blurry background (look at the poster - that's a pretty good representation). To say the least - it's just not anything special.

Synopsis : A mess of a suspense film that hides it's twists so well , the characters and themes are hard to see.

now for my more educated response:
Michael Clayton (1 viewing)
Story :The story for this suspensefull film , really fails at having any power - and seems pretty hillarious that it was nominated for best picture.
The story was very suspenseful,

WARNING: "Michael Clayton" spoilers below

-When they tried to set up the car bomb
-When the guy was setting up the car bomb and you thought Michael may catch him
-Michael going through Arthur's place, with us knowing the guys who killed Arthur were watching him
-Arthur's death scene

Visuals : Though most of the movie looks fine , it never reaches any amazing moments with it's sight display. it's just not anything special.
What about the beautiful landscapes? I thought the directing work was amazing just for the voice-overs, but you never mentioned that.

Synopsis : A mess of a suspense film that hides it's twists so well , the characters and themes are hard to see.
It really doesn't, how can you not see George Clooney!?

As for the themes, I never really picked up one either;

Also, you never mentioned the performances?

What did you think of Tilda, George, or Tom

So acting doesn't matter in a movie? You realize you are making no sense what so ever right?

It dosen't matter in a horrible movie.
Actually, for being the only movie with multiple acting nominations at this years Oscars, I think the acting played a major part in the movie.

It dosen't matter in a horrible movie.
Actually, that's pretty accurate. What's this cast from?

Sir, Ben Kingsley
Micheal Madsen
Michelle Rodriguez
Billy Zane
Meatloaf
Udo Kier
Micheal Pare
Kristanna Loken

Sounds decent right? a couple rather hot pieces of ass and some pretty decent actors to boot. The Film? Blood Rayne. Whatareyougonnado? Even Gandhi couldn't do a thing for that film.

Actually, that's pretty accurate. What's this cast from?

Sir, Ben Kingsley
Micheal Madsen
Michelle Rodriguez
Billy Zane
Meatloaf
Udo Kier
Micheal Pare
Kristanna Loken

Sounds decent right? a couple rather hot pieces of ass and some pretty decent actors to boot. The Film? Blood Rayne. Whatareyougonnado? Even Gandhi couldn't do a thing for that film.
No because those are good actors, doing a horrible acting job. With Michael Clayto, I thought it was good actors doing a good job, even if you thought the rest of the movie was "horrible"

No because those are good actors, doing a horrible acting job. With Michael Clayto, I thought it was good actors doing a good job, even if you thought the rest of the movie was "horrible"
Perhaps, you play the hand you're dealt. And I'm not saying it was a crap film I haven't seen it. And I may not for quite some time. Those types of films don't really interest me. I was just making a point. I probably will see it before to long simply because of Tildon... Love her.