Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (2 viewings)

Plot : Indiana Jones now back to his old job as a teacher seems to have left his two companions from The Temple of Doom - but it dosen't take long for him to find a new important item to claim : The Holy Grail.

Story : The intro to this one is everything but The Temple of Doom intro , not saying it's a bad thing though. The opening credits are very calm instead untill we are introduced to a young Jones. As he tries to reclaim a prized cross he collects his iconic equipment all throughout the course of a chase : which is where you get the first glimpse of the amazingly shot action scenes. Instantly , the movie goes into the future where Indiana Jones is currently trying to get the cross he couldn't get as a boy.

The bigger portion of the story revolves around Indiana Jones and having to rescue his father , get the holy grail , and beat the nazi's at both. As far as the story goes in how it's told - it's much more different than Temple of Doom , where in it travels come character to character much more and happens in many other places instead of one location.

Visuals : The action scenes all throughout this movie are beautifully shot and exciting. An incredible amount of continuity of action also makes up for what a lot of action movies are missing. Of all three films of the trilogy , this one undoublty has the funnest to watch action. Even aside from the action the entire film is always set in a colorfull and detailed enviroment.

Sypnosis : A big change of pace for the Indiana Jones trilogy and it pays off - by being very different from it's predecesors , while capturing the great character of Dr. Jones.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I enjoy your Indiana Jones reviews, but I just want to make sure that you realize that Temple of Doom is a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Slacker (1 viewing)

Plot : Travels from character to character throughout the entire film.

Story : This film is easily one of the least conventional of all time. It will have a couple characters talking about a political or funny event and then when their discussion is done - the movie focuses on a whole new set of characters. Not to say this is a bad idea , but it's not executed well at all. Some of the conversations can be really funny and thought provoking but near the end it's just a bore : with really nothing to entertain you apart from it's dialouge.

Visuals : The whole film seems to be predicated on the idea of tracking shots and it's real setting helps the film in many ways. Though eventually there are cuts that throw the entire film's look away.

Sypnosis : An offbeat and weird idea for a movie - ends up with nothing but a bunch of dialouge put into empty characters.

Welcome to the human race...
Speaking as someone who really liked Slacker, I can't fault these arguments against it. Interesting how the exact same qualities of the film make people either love it or hate it.

Yeah, actually sprite's disdain for BS in movies works for him and against the movie. To tell you the truth, I also give it
. (Man, I feel like you guys might start to hate me... like you already didn't... )

Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark (2 viewings)

Plot : Indiana Jones "first" adventure , positions him to retrieve the Covenant of The Ark (where there 10 commandments are held). But his competitor in a race for the rare case are nazis.

Story : Even though Temple of Doom is according to the little year subtitle a prequel , for continuity it defintly fits more into place as coming after this one. The film opens with Jones going into a heavily protected cave with many life ending traps set up to protect it's golden treasure , but these traps are no match for the skilled and observant archieologist. Upon breaking out with the golden artifact another final trap awaits him as his recently retrieved item is taken away from him. He makes his action packed escape and goes back to his job as a teacher.

Like always the intro is amazing , but now for the main part of the film. Jones makes partners with a woman like always and fights his way through tons of enemies - except this time he isn't the action hero he becomes later : so he has to take some blows and is unable to right every wrong.

Visuals : Exceptionally well put together action scenes where close to every frame is perfect and the enviroment always looks great. The Indiana Jones trilogy easily have some of the best action scenes of all time and this one is not lacking anywhere. It's change from the jungle to the desert is flawless.

Sypnosis : Even though this is my least favorite of the three , it's an incredible film that introduces a legendary character with a great action packed story.

A system of cells interlinked
Even though Temple of Doom is according to the little year subtitle a prequel , for continuity it defintly fits more into place as coming after this one.
How so? Please explain why Spielberg got it all wrong....

"I sure wish I knew what I was doing with that damn Raiders trilogy. I completely bombed the chronology! I mean, after going after the friggin Ark of the Covenant, instead of stepping up to the Holy Grail, Indy should have gone looking for a bunch of rocks!"

That's a good point, but I have this debate with my wife about Temple of Doom. Does Mola Ram rip the sacrificial victim's heart out before he burns up or is it a mass hallucination? Are all the victims of Kali just physical or are they psychologically-influenced? Does Indy believe in "magic" in any of the films, or is he just using his knowledge of all the artifacts in question to try to play it safe while dealing with his rivals and trying to get out alive?

Welcome to the human race...
That's a good point, but I have this debate with my wife about Temple of Doom. Does Mola Ram rip the sacrificial victim's heart out before he burns up or is it a mass hallucination? Are all the victims of Kali just physical or are they psychologically-influenced? Does Indy believe in "magic" in any of the films, or is he just using his knowledge of all the artifacts in question to try to play it safe while dealing with his rivals and trying to get out alive?
1Hmm, never thought of the heart thing as a hallucination. Seeing as Mola Ram doesn't do it to Willie when she's been captured, maybe it was just a hallucination (then again, I think Willie managed to push him away with an unrestrained hand - what a goof). In that case, what makes the hallucination?

The blood that the victims of Kali drink is probably similar to the powder they use to make zombies in Haiti or something, thus rendering the victims under an altered state of consciousness that makes them vulnerable to brainwashing. If it's physical, that explains why fire can bring people out of it (i.e. intense pain concentrates the addled brain).

It's quite possible that Indy has always believed in magic. I think that the exchange he has with Marcus at his home in Raiders where he claims not to believe in it is probably just a front because when you see the kind of things Indy sees, how can you not believe in weird stuff?

Recent movies I couldn't even finish watching
-----------------------------------

The Fifth Element - Shot like an episode of Power Rangers , I just couldn't watch the horrible looking thing go on.

The Omega Man - If your considering this over I Am Legend , don't. The hillariously bad acting to the dumbest action scenes ever - words can't describe how akward and bad this film becomes 20 minutes in.

Indiana Jones Trilogy Documentary - Similar to the Star Wars one , but lack of a narrator and the not really a full out film like Empire of Dreams.