Film Review by Sedai

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks Frank

Now if Yoda would only pop it up on the main site...

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
hey Sedai, i just read most of your reviews, and i just wanted to say Good job! i especially liked your reviews of Amelie and Kill Bill Volume 2....don't stop now! Keep 'em coming...

Thanks Ash

I have just not had the inspiration to write lately, but I will do another review or two soon. the site is a tad short on The Aviator reviews, so I may do one on that. Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Sedai
Thanks Ash

I have just not had the inspiration to write lately, but I will do another review or two soon. the site is a tad short on The Aviator reviews, so I may do one on that. Thanks for reading
I can relate, brother.

Amen and goodnight!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

House of Flying Daggers

Zhang Yimou

Swirling Silk, lush forests, vivid colors, porcelain faces. These are the bricks with which the House of Flying Daggers is constructed. Released overseas in 2003, we here in the states are just now getting treated to Zhang Yimou’s new film, which is absolutely breathtaking, while at the same time a bit irritating. I must first express how much I enjoyed this film, before touching on it's minor flaws.

As with most of Zhang’s work, the use of color is fantastic. In Hero, Zhang’s last piece, he used single colors to signify truth, fiction, passion, and reality, creating stark contrast for each version of the same story. In House of Flying Daggers, we are treated to a brilliant swirl of color, meshing and un-meshing on the screen, transporting us to a vivid land from the past. In one scene in particular, star Zhang Ziyi (Hero, Crouching Tiger, Hidden dragon) is almost swallowed up by color, her porcelain face floating in the middle of a kaleidoscope of hues. This scene, called The Echo Game, is astounding. Beautiful choreography coupled with skilled camera work and editing bring this kinetic scene to life.

There are many scenes like this. Creative, well choreographed scenes in a variety of interesting and spectacular locales are interspersed with romance and intrigue, weaving a tapestry of the colorful life of the Tang Dynasty era. A lush green bamboo forest, wonderful autumn landscapes full of greens, golds, yellows and reds, and a driving snowstorm that immerses both the players and the viewer are some other examples of the incredible compositions in this film. The sound engineering was also top notch, if not a bit too hot at times. I believe this was intentional, as one of the characters in the film is blind, and I feel the director wanted to convey the heightened senses of this character to the audience as well.

A heavy romantic theme runs through the film, and one could say this is a love story with some martial arts and intrigue thrown in, as the romance really is the main theme of the film. For the most part, this was fine, but the creators seemed to have a little trouble balancing the story threads against the romance. I speak of the giant, glaring plot whole at the end of the film, which I won’t give away here, just stating that both my girlfriend and I were scratching our heads, as they leave a major issue unresolved. Perhaps it was the director’s way of telling us the love story was the story, and the other plot threads were just there to help present the romance. Another possibility is that the American version of the film could have been edited down for length (the DVD clocks in and exactly one minute under two hours, including credits). If it’s the former, I applaud the director for his bold, ambiguous move. If it’s the later, shame on whatever lawyer decided two hours was long enough.

And really, the possibly weak ending was one of the only problems I had with the film, aside from some over the top melodrama from time to time, but Yimou can’t seem to get away from that, so I consider it part of his style. Other than those small (and they are small, really) quibbles, I thought the performances were great for the most part, and technically, this is a film full of artistic presence. If you enjoy Yimou’s other work, or Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, this is a film not to be missed. Exciting adventure, amazing scenery, and yes, kung-fu all make for a highly enjoyable, if not slightly confusing experience.

You ready? You look ready.
Yahoo!!! Nice job.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I been waiting for another review. Thanks, Sedai. I think you've convinced me to at least give this one another try.

Another try. So you saw it and didn't like it? I am interested in your thoughts about the film, as right after the film, I had some reservations about it, but once I thought about the story, I sort of relaxed my knee-jerk reaction to the end (which was "wtf??").

WARNING: "House of Flying Daggers" spoilers below
At first I was just really disappointed because I thought the ending was good as far as the romance was concerned, and how it turned out, but was pissed that there was no resolution to the Flying Daggers vs Tang Soldier dilemma. After thinking about things, and about the line in the film that I am just paraprasing here "We are just but pawns in this game, we don't matter". This was an anti-statement about this film. In the film, the pawns are all that matter, and the game is secondary, jsut as the echo game was a set-up as well, with Leo and Mei in cahoots already. Quite a brilliant parallel, if you ask me. Approaching the film with these things in mind, I found it to be an elegant choice by the director to not show the Dagger/Tang resolution, quite the opposite of my initial reaction.

When I saw it at the theater I enjoyed it but was a little bemused at my liking it. My sister and I kept giggling over the cheesy romance, particular Takeshi Kaneshiro's hilariously (and deliberately) overdone attempts at smoothtalking Ziyi. I think it's really stuck though, and would rank it easilly near the top of last year's set of films. And as much as I liked both Crouching Tiger and Hero, this is better. Funnier, better characters, less stilted (of course keeping in mind I can't understand Mandarin) and yeah, it just looks fantastic. And not just the colors, it has a great sense of motion too. That bamboo fight is just way better and more graceful than the Crouching Tiger one.

Kinda makes me think Happy Times as a bloody period melodrama. Weird.

EDIT ~ in response to your "hidden" comment:
oh yeah, hadn't really thought of it that way but it makes sense to me. I also liked the 'dogs of war as prostitutes' parallel. I don't think it was an incredibly cerebral or humanistically deep film, but the layers are there and I still found the narrative teased me in all the right ways throughout.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Sedai
WARNING: "House of Flying Daggers" spoilers below
At first I was just really disappointed because I thought the ending was good as far as the romance was concerned, and how it turned out, but was pissed that there was no resolution to the Flying Daggers vs Tang Soldier dilemma. After thinking about things, and about the line in the film that I am just paraprasing here "We are just but pawns in this game, we don't matter". This was an anti-statement about this film. In the film, the pawns are all that matter, and the game is secondary, jsut as the echo game was a set-up as well, with Leo and Mei in cahoots already. Quite a brilliant parallel, if you ask me. Approaching the film with these things in mind, I found it to be an elegant choice by the director to not show the Dagger/Tang resolution, quite the opposite of my initial reaction.
Man, you've just reveresed why I wasn't completely taken with the film the first time around either. I hated that they took that route. Though that explanation softens the blow a bit I still find it to be a rather large cop-out.

House Of The Flying Daggers struck me as the chick flick to Hero's more boyish film. This is a personal opinion not a detraction. I enjoyed the beauty of it and was most impressed with the first big fight scene.

I really enjoy reading your reviews when I can sneak a few minutes Sedai… so thanks for sharing...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Hey Sedai, love the reviews, keep up the good work.
So, like myself you're a fan of JP Jeunet, he is a great storyteller and his films all have visual flair and are visualy stunning. What is your opinion on Alien Resurrection?
IMO if it wasn't for the dodgy cross-breed story line at the end, I would have enjoyed this film more.
I know David Fincher had loads of problems with the studio on Alien 3, my guess is that JP Jeunet met the same kind of problems.
What do you think?

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?