Slay's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

great reviews you really made me want to go out and see million doller baby

Back in business! Great reviews, Slay!

Originally Posted by Sedai
Damn, it's been too long since i read a Slay review...glad you are back in action
Thanks, Sedai. When are you writing your next one? Or does your boring job prevent you?

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Two awsome reviews there Slay, I must see these two films before the Oscars. You make me tingle with anticipation, you really do.
You said you’d keep that to yourelf. You’re so damn naughty.

Originally Posted by Tazz
I think Million Dollar Baby is the best film of the year.
WOW! You’ve seen all the films that came out this year?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Nice writing Slay. These both sound great.
Thank you, Delilah. I like yours as well. *keep it outta the gutter fellas*

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
great reviews you really made me want to go out and see million doller baby
You should! Go right now! Don’t hold back!

Originally Posted by Garrett
Back in business! Great reviews, Slay!
I wrote it just for you, Garrett. Now give Papa some sugar.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

sorry i missed your reviews until now, brian...wonderful as usual...although your review of million dollar baby sounds a lot better than the slow film that i saw two weeks ago...although i have to admit that the acting was excellent all around, especially by morgan freeman....i was slightly disappointed in it...

keep up the great work and i hope to see more of these soon...

I try to refrain from reading reviews of movies I have yet to see, so why don't you start writing about some of the crap I might have seen so I can share in the Slaygoodness?

My Top 100 favorite movies.

This is an older review of mine that has been buried deep within the forum. I just wanted to dust it off and place it with the rest of them.

A Clockwork Orange

Welly, welly, welly, well hello O Brothers and Sisters, it’s your faithful narrator here to inform you of my opinions of a movie known as A Clockwork Orange. It is hereby proclaimed by me, that this film is of utmost importance if you ever are to deem yourself a serious filmgoer, and to ignore this summons by me, will only bring on some of the old ultraviolence onto your eggiwegy head.

It has been mentioned by other brothers and sisters of this forum that there are deeper truths within this film if you only take a deeper look. A little bit of the old in-out, in-out, of the brain, one might say. I might be inclined to agree, but first I need to drink my drencrom to get me in the mood. There! Much better!

This narrator’s input on deeper meanings will tend to go towards the political aspects of the film. I see a society that is plagued by terrorists. Oh, I know, they aren’t the terrorists that we’re used to today in our own place in time, but that’s still what they are. Within that society are frightened people that want to be able to walk to the corner market, or to sit at home, without fear of ultraviolence in any of its forms. What will a society do if they are terrorized enough? Will they give up their freedoms? Will they give up the terrorists freedoms? Will they clamor to the government to fix this problem by any means necessary? In A Clockwork Orange, they decide to allow brain-washing of prisoners, also known as the Ludovico Technique. Are we, as a modern society, that far away from possibly accepting this as an alternative? What if it doesn’t work? Will we then blame the government that we loved when it did work, and demand a new government with new ideas to take its place? Of course not! Right? We’re not fickle, are we? Of course not! Appy-polly-loggies, I’ve gone on a bit of a tangent. Please forgive O Brothers and Sisters.

I, again your most trusted and faithful narrator, believe that this film shows the most basic instincts of man. This is a tale of men and what they can, and will do, when left to their own devices. A bit of the old ultraviolence is in all of us men. Sometimes it is whipped into submission by societal standards and fear of prosecutorial punishment, but deep down, we are all a little bit of Alex. Just think if someday down the road, there is a catastrophic change in the world. A new day where there is only a minute fraction of the population at large. What will be the most valuable commodity to us at that point? Why the fuzzy of the she-devil, all right! We would fight and kill and rape and kill and nothing need to ever change. Of course it’s easy to say to ones self, “Not me, I’m too civilized” but you know, deep down, in your own muddled mind that it just might be the truth. Say, I know, anyone reading this would tend to be the protector of a worthwhile human being that just happens to be a woman, but you’d certainly kill to keep her. What if she just happens to want to be your friend and that’s all? Well? Naughty, naughty, naughty! You filthy old soomka! I knew it! We’re all a little bit of Alex. Deny it all you want, because there’s absolutely no way to prove it otherwise since we still have this society and that irritable law to get in our way. Kubrick shows us that the deeper character of man cannot be changed. It’s the absolute truth. Man has been this way since the beginning, and the more you try to change it by slow training and, dare I say it, brain-washing, the more he will rebel. We’re all murderers and rapists. We are men. You don’t have to do the deed to have it in you. It’s there anyway.

There is something else that came to mind while viewing A Clockwork Orange, and that is that the society that Alex lives in is only slightly better than he is. The politicians, the police, and the Droogs are not much better than the other, and they all prove that they can, and often will, get their own way by any means necessary. Is that all that different from the world we live in now? Why are there conspiracy theorists if there was nothing to be afraid of? Nobody trusts anybody anymore, and with good reason. Peoples in positions of power have always been corrupt. From the church, to the state, it’s all been shown in front of our impressionable eyes. Yet, they still want to control us by placing standards that nearly none of them can meet themselves. That’s part of what makes Alex who he is, an anti-social, anti-government, anti-dentite…why he’s just an anti-man. I feel that within me as well. That frustration that I need to live up to expectations that most of my brother’s fail to adhere to unless asked. I see all the time people who have demanded respect through painstaking propaganda and absolute lies only to be unmasked later on national news broadcasts with corporate sponsorship who pays for their lawyers who proclaim they’re innocence in submissive tones. O Brothers and Sisters, are we blinded so much as to not see the greasy spokes of the larger wheel?

There is a beauty in violence that we all can appreciate as men. Denial of this is normal, and often is the case. Yet, we call martial arts on the silver screen choreographed, and call our boxers graceful at times. It seemed that Kubrick appreciated this aspect of violence, hence his choices in music during the more ultraviloent scenes. This is another thing that is inherent to the male side of the species as well. I can’t begin to tell you how many men have told me that there favorite scene is of Alex crooning Singin’ in the Rain while kicking and slapping away at the unfortunates at his mercy. It is a terrible scene given a light heartedness that should only repulse a viewer, yet it only conjures positive emotions in most men. Yet again I grow weary with another tangent. I’m so sorry O Brothers and Sisters. After reading what I’ve written so far, I feel I should warn the ladies to put all of us on an island somewhere with no hope of escape just so we can all choke on our own carbon. It would be a fitting end. Of course, I wouldn’t need to be there, because…I’m cured!

Originally Posted by susan
sorry i missed your reviews until now, brian...wonderful as usual...although your review of million dollar baby sounds a lot better than the slow film that i saw two weeks ago...although i have to admit that the acting was excellent all around, especially by morgan freeman....i was slightly disappointed in it...

keep up the great work and i hope to see more of these soon...
Thank you, Suzi-Q! I’m glad you stopped by.

Originally Posted by Mose
I try to refrain from reading reviews of movies I have yet to see, so why don't you start writing about some of the crap I might have seen so I can share in the Slaygoodness?
No can do, brother. I have standards.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Blarg. Lookin forward to your review of Limbo.
I want to watch it again before I do...but I will, as long as you promise to dicuss it with me.

Yarr, any time (except when I'm not online, obviously). By the way, I seem to recall you liked Henry Fool. I'd love to see a review for that one, if you can? I may have mentioned that I totally fell in love with that movie recently, but I'm still not quite sure what to make of the whole thing. It's sure narly though.

Oh yeah, and you're review of A Very Long Engagement has me convinced that I need to see it. Cheers.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Yarr, any time (except when I'm not online, obviously). By the way, I seem to recall you liked Henry Fool. I'd love to see a review for that one, if you can? I may have mentioned that I totally fell in love with that movie recently, but I'm still not quite sure what to make of the whole thing. It's sure narly though.
Oh yeah, and you're review of A Very Long Engagement has me convinced that I need to see it. Cheers.
Man, I have no energy for these reviews. I think that if I made them shorter, then I would. I don't know whether I should make them shorter or not tho'. My 'trademark' is reviews that are traditionally longer than the forum average...though I have seen plenty of equal length...with maybe my 2001: A Space Odyssey and Passion of the Christ reviews being the exceptions…and longest winded.

As far as Henry Fool, I need to see it again before I even consider it, but I value your interest and will probably do it. Requests are da’ bomb, boo.

I hope you do see A Very Long Engagement, it's a big screen movie, man.

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
Your A Clockwork Orange review has left me in awe. Just, wow.
Why, thank you! That is a very sweet thing for you to say. I have to admit; that was one of the most enjoyable reviews I have ever written.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Why, thank you! That is a very sweet thing for you to say. I have to admit; that was one of the most enjoyable reviews I have ever written.
It was a good'un alright. You eggnogged my eggiwegy head with it .

The dilemma of power eh? Personal power to enact, inner power to control, social power to try and override the whole show.

I reckon what Kubrick brings out well is that even as technology advances, we stay the same - but both our individual and 'social' abilities to enact desires grows. (and so, as i see it, the need for a 'spiritual' counterbalance grows too, coz... when you've got people's pernicious little egos being over-empowered... and social-institutions more able to dictate what goes, with bold strikes of their rod on any head that doesn't nod... what you've got is a powder keg ready to blow. Neither can be 'trusted' to **** in the right place to make the roses grow )

Shame Kubrick couldn't fashion a nice little solution to that potential woe

Nevermind, it's only mind-altering-medication, leg-tags (and manipulative multinational bad-guys ) at the mo - as far as the social-control thing goes. And on the other side, there's just designer drugs, electronic ways to mug, and the 'happy-slappy' code of being a thug ( ) [do you guys have this 'happy-slappy' thing your side btw? Moody teens slapping random people so they can film it on their mobile and show others. Daft twats]

It is hereby proclaimed by me, that this film is of utmost importance if you ever are to deem yourself a serious filmgoer, and to ignore this summons by me, will only bring on some of the old ultraviolence onto your eggiwegy head.
Wow! I can't say how relieved I am to have already watched A Clockwork Orange given your previous threats... Now you want to bring some of the old ultraviolence down on the poor little guy! Sheesh!

Originally Posted by Golgot
It was a good'un alright. You eggnogged my eggiwegy head with it .
Thanks…consider it returning the favor in advance for this particular post of yours.

The dilemma of power eh? Personal power to enact, inner power to control, social power to try and override the whole show.

I reckon what Kubrick brings out well is that even as technology advances, we stay the same - but both our individual and 'social' abilities to enact desires grows. (and so, as i see it, the need for a 'spiritual' counterbalance grows too, coz... when you've got people's pernicious little egos being over-empowered... and social-institutions more able to dictate what goes, with bold strikes of their rod on any head that doesn't nod... what you've got is a powder keg ready to blow. Neither can be 'trusted' to **** in the right place to make the roses grow )
It’s a living hell when so many factions are so smug in their individual superiority that they can’t even begin to contemplate that another faction might be singing with a ring of truth in their music. Such is the way of a world that is over-populated, over-institutionalized, and over-desensitized. That probably has absolutely nothing to do with what you just said, but I have an extremely difficult time trying to wrap my mind around what you say. Not that you don’t make sense…but that I can’t make sense of it. Know what I mean, brother?

Shame Kubrick couldn't fashion a nice little solution to that potential woe

Nevermind, it's only mind-altering-medication, leg-tags (and manipulative multinational bad-guys ) at the mo - as far as the social-control thing goes. And on the other side, there's just designer drugs, electronic ways to mug, and the 'happy-slappy' code of being a thug ( ) [do you guys have this 'happy-slappy' thing your side btw? Moody teens slapping random people so they can film it on their mobile and show others. Daft twats]
Yeah, the solution the ‘state’ wants to empower over us does sometimes mirror the same solutions that people find for themselves in their disenfranchisement. They just have different melodies, but the lyrics are oft times the same.

We also have teens sometimes doing malicious things to passerby just to wile away the day. The most infamous being a carload that shot paintballs at people during the dark of night. They would have gotten away with it too if it weren’t the fact that they taped it all…and those meddling kids too.

Originally Posted by susan
a clockwork orange was a favorite of mine and one of kubrick's best films

thanks for your review...i loved reading it
Thank you, Suzi-Q! I like the fact that you read them.

Originally Posted by Mose
Wow! I can't say how relieved I am to have already watched A Clockwork Orange given your previous threats... Now you want to bring some of the old ultraviolence down on the poor little guy! Sheesh!
Wha? Me no speakie Mosie.

Limbo
Limbo

Director: John Sayles

Cast: Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, David Strathairn, Vanessa Martinez, Casey Siemaszko, Leo Burmester, Rita Taggart, Kathryn Grody, and Kris Kristofferson

Length: 126 min

MPAA Rating: R for language

Released: 1999

lim-bo n. pl limbos 1 often cap:

1. the dwelling place of forgotten souls.
2. a state of oblivion or neglect.
2. a place or state of arrested possibilities.
4. a condition of uneasiness or apprehension.
5. a condition of unknowable outcome.

He wakes up: alone and disoriented. He manages to find escape for himself, but not for his friends. He has lost them. It’s his fault, regardless of what others tell him. From that day forward, he quits living. Any possible future for him ends because his life is suspended in that moment of time where he goes on losing his friends over and over and over again. Forever on he will wake up alone and disoriented. Joe Gastineau (Strathairn) is in Limbo.

She sings angelically about her love’s labor and her quiet sorrow. She loves the way it brings her to a state of near grace, but no one understands it. She has been singing all her life, but there is no fame or fortune in it for her: just the passion. She wanders the world in order to struggle a living with her voice for her and her daughter. There is no future for her. Donna De Angelo (Mastrantonio) is in Limbo.

Vanessa Martinez
She has no life that she can see. She lives nowhere long enough to make friends or to find love. She hates herself. She is in despair. She lives outside the circle of regulars who don’t even notice that she exists; though she believes they all see her and loathe her. She writes the stories that tell the tale of her isolation, but people only believe that she is quaint and peculiar, not lost utterly in her loneliness. She hates her mother but cannot help but to love her. Noelle De Angelo (Martinez) is in Limbo.

Juneau, Alaska is a perfect place for people like these to lose themselves: figuratively and metaphorically. Yet sometimes, in an effort to stay lost people can find themselves found, even more so when that effort relies on an incredible risk of unknowable outcome. This is the entire premise of John Sayles beautiful story of three lonely people who are lost and too frightened to be found. In order for salvation to make its mark with these three, they have to fight their way out of their limbos, but it isn’t easy.

Limbo speaks to me in a way that I have never been spoken to before. It doesn’t reach into my heart and play with the strings that can either cause happiness or sadness, but rather it reaches deep into my psyche and lets me know that being in limbo is nowhere to be, and that even for me, I can return to the world of the living and take part in my own destiny again. I too have been in limbo for quite some time now and know in my heart that it is a lonely place; where I often forget myself and keep on wandering nowhere. I don’t really care for this type of ‘living’, but it is all I’ve known for too long. Yet, with this film, I am taught something. Risk is living. Risk is an escape from limbo.

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio & David Strathairn
That’s what makes Limbo so amazing. Not only is it a movie that tells an amazing tale of three very special people, but it’s also a film that touches us in a subtle, yet powerful manner. Looking at the way Joe lives his life, we learn that living in the past can be fatal for a person who has nothing but promise. Seeing Donna live her reckless life, warns us to show caution in our risk taking; that there has to be a happy medium when it comes to living life to the fullest and hiding behind the blinds. And when watching Noelle duck inside her shell, we can easily see that isolation can be catastrophic for a person’s mental well being. Can these people be cured of their private limbos? Or will they stay lost? Maybe finding within themselves the desire to climb out of their own limbos is success enough, and anything else is only dressing. You’ll need to find those answers out for yourself, because this is a very personal story. Each one of us may take something different from this film that another finds impossible to see.

Obviously, I recommend Limbo wholeheartedly. John Sayles is one of our most under-appreciated and unknown masters of filmmaking. He often takes particular aspects of our humanity, shines a spotlight on it, dissects it, and then shoves it down our gullets; yet it goes down smooth. Here he shows us what despair and hopelessness leads to and that we should all fight that type of mental degeneration. Yet he shows us all this in an entertaining way that really defies description. In a lot of other films nowadays, directors go out of their way to have twists and turns in their story in an effort to keep us involved. Half the time it works, and half the time it only creates a convoluted storyline that causes only distraction. In Limbo, Sayles manages to find a way to get us caught up into a story that seems straight forward enough, but all of a sudden, he turns it on its ear and somehow begins again with its continuation. Once viewed, that will make better sense.

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio & Vanessa Martinez
Not only do I love Limbo because it is such a superb story and it’s told by one of the greatest living directors, but it’s also because of the acting involved. Strathairn is at the top of his game here playing the lost man who is also so strong. I’ve always liked him and wished often that he could get more lead roles. He does not disappoint. I must confess that I never really cared for Mastrantonio before, but because of her work here, my entire opinion of her has changed. She nails the role of the mother who has lost her way and her daughter. She also sings all the songs that her character performs herself and has a beautiful voice that enchants. I’d like to own the soundtrack; she’s that good. But for me, it’s Martinez who steals the show. For a relatively inexperienced young actress, she has a power and magnificence to her that many of her contemporaries can only dream of. It’s her tale that moves me the most. She’s so lost and alone, it’s…well…heartbreaking. Her acting is the biggest strength this film has other than the story itself.

So, check out this little known masterpiece and treat yourself to an extraordinary tale that twists and turns and manages to teach something in the process. Learn for yourself why Sayles is a master…and prepare yourself for an ending of unknowable outcome that will make you think deep into the night.

Nice review Slaytan, I'll check this out.

Pumpkin ***

Pumpkin is a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously, though it certainly pretends to.
That's perfect.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.