The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia

A Serious Man

Did you know that...
  • that the opening scene was added because the Coens wanted to start the film with a Yiddish folk tale? Since they didn't know anything, they wrote their own. They've also said that it's there just to get the audience in the proper mood, and that there is no meaning behind it.
  • the film's look is partly based on the Brad Zellar book Suburban World: The Norling Photographs, a collection of photographs of Bloomington in the 1950s and 60s?
  • Larry's lusting for Mrs. Samsky, from the roof of his house while she sunbathes, mirrors King David and Bathsheba's story?

I mean, if there's ever a day you've earned a break on the extracurricular stuff, it's Christmas Eve. Or Christmas Day I guess.

I will probably bail out after today's reveals; at least until late at night? who knows? But my OCD won't let me go on without the Trivia facts 😂

I will probably bail out after today's reveals; at least until late at night? who knows? But my OCD won't let me go on without the Trivia facts 😂
OCD people make the best List curators/hosts, it's true.

Trivia

Mystic River

Did you know that...
  • Michael Keaton was originally cast as Sean Devine? He had been researching and living in Boston for a couple of weeks, but got into an argument with Clint Eastwood and left the project.
  • Tim Robbins and Sean Penn had worked together in the film Dead Man Walking with both being nominated to an Oscar? This time, they both won.
  • the three adult lead actors are never in the same scene together?

97 points, 6 lists
Paprika
Director

Satoshi Kon, 2006

Starring

Megumi Hayashibara, Toru Emori, Katsunosuke Hori, Toru Furuya

97 points, 9 lists
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Director

Gore Verbinski, 2003

Starring

Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Geoffrey Rush

Paprika is pretty good. The music vastly outshines the films itself tho (Susumu Hirasawa tha god). Never gonna see Pirates lol, guess that was the "middling foreign film".

Hints were fairly straightforward, but had something hidden in there, but no one seemed to get it...

Ok, I'm gonna do hints differently tonight, maybe it might spice things up... (paprika, get it?)
  • Both films are tied with 97 points.
  • Both films titles start with the same letter.
  • The title of #64 is one of the shortest of the countdown, while the title of #63 is one of the longest.
  • Both of their directors we hadn't seen in the countdown, and they won't show up again in it.
  • One of them is, how was it that @rauldc14 said? "a middling foreign film"?

There are more hints in there that you might think

As bad as all the other Pirates films are...the first is tons of fun. Well-written, quotable, funny, genuinely adventurous, and the music is fantastic. When I heard they were making a movie about an ancient Disney World ride I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard, but everyone involved seemingly threw themselves into it and they made a very fun and clever blockbuster. That it was as good as it ended up being remains one of the more delightful cinematic surprises I can remember.

The sequels have their moments, but I think the second film (if someone loved the first film) is probably the only one I'd recommend.

Never seen Paprika, Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl is a good deal of fun but wasn't one I considered for my ballot.

Seen: 24/38 (Own: 18/38)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
62. The Road (2009)
61. Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

13. Cast Away (2000) - 69th
22. Watchmen (2009) - 87th
23. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - 63rd

Marks my 3rd.
Never thought Pirates would have made it tbh, but then again, it is a hoot.

Had never seen any Satoshi Kon before we started the watch period for this countdown. I've seen Perfect Blue and Paprika and I don't know if I would classify them as masterpieces but both are close IMO. Can't wait to watch Tokyo Godfathers tomorrow.

As for Pirates, I'm sure somewhere Michael Bolton is smiling.

Paprika is imaginative, disturbing, and wonderful. I had it on my shortlist and it survived the first few rounds of cuts, but didn't make the final cut. I voted for another Satoshi Kon movie, but it won't make it onto the countdown.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a really fun movie and has long been a favorite of mine. I will say that I didn't love it as much as I used to when I rewatched it for this countdown, but I still loved it enough to put it at #21.

Seen: 23/38

My Ballot:
1. Quills (#67)
6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (#91)
21. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (#63)
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)

Haven't seen Paprika yet, but I should definitely get around to it someday.

Not the biggest fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, but the first one is actually quite good. Didn't make my ballot though.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl was #74 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. Paprika did not make the Millennium list but was #86 on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films as well as #100 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Paprika is worth watching for the visuals alone, but somehow it just doesn't add up to as wonderful an overall experience as I think the material deserves. Here is my brother's review at Cinefantastique.

Pirates is, like Yoda says, the best of that series. Depp is hilarious and the action is pretty good before the sequels drained them of what originality they had, but why does it have to be so long?

No points.

As bad as all the other Pirates films are...the first is tons of fun. Well-written, quotable, funny, genuinely adventurous, and the music is fantastic. When I heard they were making a movie about an ancient Disney World ride I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard, but everyone involved seemingly threw themselves into it and they made a very fun and clever blockbuster. That it was as good as it ended up being remains one of the more delightful cinematic surprises I can remember.

The sequels have their moments, but I think the second film (if someone loved the first film) is probably the only one I'd recommend.
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree about the first one. As for the other two sequels, if forced to choose, I think I might give a slight edge to the third one. At that point, I kinda dug its absurdity and overwrought plot. I never went beyond that one.

I've never seen Paprika.

Where I'm at...

Seen: 25/38

My ballot:  

Reply to Topic