Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'm done, so that deadline works for me.
Ha

I hope it can work for everyone else, I can give a bit more time if people need it. I know Christmas has some people traveling and being real busy. Maybe I should do the mention thing. How are you all doing on the noms?

@rauldc14
@TheUsualSuspect
@Thursday Next

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sorry, I'd hoped to be done by Christmas but it didn't happen. I've got one more film to watch, just need to write up the other ones I have seen which should be done soon.

The Muppet Christmas Carol

This film has been part of my Christmas for so long, it's hard to separate the film from the nostalgia. I tried to watch it with a bit more of a critical eye this time, and perhaps enjoyed it a little less as a result.

I still think it's very good, it's a warm, friendly and accessible version of the story which treats the original book with respect despite filling it with muppets. Unlike a lot of you, I did not grow up watching the Muppet show, so I know them mostly from this which probably gives it a different feel.

I think the music is brilliant, the way it blends in Christmas carols. The songs are memorable and Christmassy and warm. The singing, on the other hand, is variable. There used to be a song on the vhs version called 'The Love Has Gone' which was always pretty awful, but the way it is cut out on the dvd is a bit jarring.

I like the way Michael Caine as Scrooge plays it completely straight, no archness despite being surrounded by puppets.

Altogether a lovely Christmassy film with some good funny moments, mostly courtesy of Rizzo.

The Family Man

One of those 'what if' movies, with a bit of an 'It's a Wonderful Life' flavour.

What was interesting about this was that he's not actually a bad person before the switch - a bit money obsessed and empty, but not a Scrooge, and he's not that much of a better person after - as gbg said, he's still fairly obsessed with money and getting his old life back until quite late in the film.

I wasn't sure about the ending, the whole last minute airport dash declaration thing is a bit cringy, although it did make sense that it would end at the airport having begun there. I never quite bought into the film emotionally, which might have made a difference.

Sorry, I'd hoped to be done by Christmas but it didn't happen. I've got one more film to watch, just need to write up the other ones I have seen which should be done soon.
No worries It looks like everyone is doing great and we should be done soon and then onto the 24th HoF, which looks to be epic!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
No worries It looks like everyone is doing great and we should be done soon and then onto the 24th HoF, which looks to be epic!
I think it's going to be one of the more legendary ones. But maybe I'm biased.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Nah, you're about right, @rauldc14.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Muppet Christmas Carol

This film has been part of my Christmas for so long, it's hard to separate the film from the nostalgia. I tried to watch it with a bit more of a critical eye this time, and perhaps enjoyed it a little less as a result.

I never understood why some people watch movies "with a critical eye". To me, movies are made to enjoy watching them, not to look for goofs, plot holes, etc. If you just watch a movie for the fun of watching it, then I would think that you would be more likely to enjoy it.

I never understood why some people watch movies "with a critical eye". To me, movies are made to enjoy watching them, not to look for goofs, plot holes, etc. If you just watch a movie for the fun of watching it, then I would think that you would be more likely to enjoy it.
I think that we all have watched movies with a critical eye from time to time. I know I have. I've come to realize that when a person loves a movie, they then can easily overlook 'flaws'. But when a person dislikes a movie the same type of 'flaws' can become very apparent. That's something I've noticed from doing so many HoFs

I don't mean I watched it looking to find things to criticise in a negative way - more that I watched with a view to having something coherent to say about it here and to be able to compare and rank it against the other films in this hall of fame, as opposed to watching for pure enjoyment.

Rise of the Guardians

I liked the character design in this, especially Jack Frost and North. The voice acting was good.

I think this was a good kids' film in that it isn't too goofy and silly and cutesy and clearly some effort has been put into it. One of Dreamworks better animations - not quite up to How to Train Your Dragon standards, but better than The Croods or Home.

It's not much more than a kids' film though; while I would be happy to watch this with kids, I don't feel that I got as much out of this as a grown up as some other family holiday movies.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I had seen this story countless times over the Holidays. So many different versions of it being told, we got two versions in this damn HoF, hahaha.

Probably the best shot film in this HoF and a film I'm actually glad that I finally got to see. I don't know why, but this entry felt somewhat fresh to me. Really great acting and okay effects.

A little on the darker side compared to other holiday films. Which is also a nice change of pace.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Rise of the Guardians

I liked the character design in this, especially Jack Frost and North. The voice acting was good.

I think this was a good kids' film in that it isn't too goofy and silly and cutesy and clearly some effort has been put into it. One of Dreamworks better animations - not quite up to How to Train Your Dragon standards, but better than The Croods or Home.

It's not much more than a kids' film though; while I would be happy to watch this with kids, I don't feel that I got as much out of this as a grown up as some other family holiday movies.

I don't think of Rise of the Guardians as a "kids' film". I'm 54 years old, and I loved it. (But I also loved Dreamworks' Home, so what do I know? )

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

These stop motion animated films are all holiday classics and ones I have watched countless times as a child. This one gets less views from me than some of the others, basically because I feel as if this is the lesser of the batch. I don't remember the last time I watched any of these movies so it was nice to revisit one in my 30's.

I unfortunately don't have too much to add other than it was decent. Songs were good enough, the animation was good enough and the story was...good enough. The Miser Brothers were the one thing I definitely remembered from this movie. Don't mess with Mother Nature.

I'll have Nightmare watched tomorrow sorry guys
No worries, I know you're solid in a HoF. I'll do the @mention thing before I do the reveal of the results. Hint, I can already tell what film ain't going to win

No worries, I know you're solid in a HoF.

I'll do the @mention thing before I do the reveal of the results. I can already tell what film ain't going to win
Mine