MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User
Was never a fan of Blair Witch. I've watched it several times and never found it that appealing at all.

Possession on the other hand, is a different story! An unforgettable psychological horror, I found it shocking, confusing, clever, bizarre, brutal and so many other things. I loved the Berlin setting and found it brilliantly depressing on so many levels. Both Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani's performance of a meltdown is nothing short of spectacular.

My number 9 pick and a monster of a movie.

Two films I was planning to rewatch but didn't. I saw The Blair Witch Project in theaters and remember liking it quite a bit. After seeing several really bad found footage horrors during the voting period I decided to leave my initial impression alone for the time being. I don't remember it being that scary though but maybe it works better on people who've never been in a forest.

Possession is an oddity that I've seen couple of times, I think. I remember it dragging somewhat at times but in general I have a positive impression of it. Just never was in a mood for rewatch during the vote but it was on my preliminary list at some point. So no votes for either from me but to both.

Seen: 57/68

Welcome to the human race...
Blair Witch Project is definitely a movie you had to see in the Theater.
Probably, but I was too young for its initial theatrical release and seem to recall missing some repertory screenings (possibly out of hype aversion). Oh, well.

Possession is good, though I do recall being a little underwhelmed when I first saw it. I might think better of it if I revisited it.

Blair Witch Project is definitely a movie you had to see in the Theater.
I would definitely expect a cinema experience to be ideal, yet watching it at home, alone, at 2 AM and trying to imagine the fact that this is some lost footage you found on the internet and now put it on to watch honestly worked really well for me.

Saw (2004)
Runtime: 1 Hr 43 Mins
Production Company: Evolution Entertainment, Twisted Films
Distributed by Lionsgate
Production Budget: $1,200,000
Box Office: $103,090,000
Thirteen Votes
133 Points (20, 14, 14, 13, 12, 12, 11, 9, 8, 8, 7, 3, 2)
High Voter: @Dirk120

Hello Zepp by Charlie Clouser
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saw 32.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	53579  

Dr. Gordon (Cary Elwes) is held captive in an abandoned restroom along with a photographer named Adam. The latest victims of the maniacal Jigsaw killer who likes to book himself front row seats to his own twisted scenario games. Directed by James Wan and shot in just 18 days. Danny Glover's also in the film as Detective David Tapp. Viewed first when it was out in theaters with friends in 2004 when I was in high school, and again a few years back. Some visceral and intriguing horror flicks, thinking I'll get into the sequels this year. The device you're wearing is hooked into your upper and lower jaws. When the timer in the back goes off, your mouth will be permanently ripped open. Think of it, like, a reverse bear trap. Saw (2004), a movie I could have voted for but didn't.

Attachments

Name:	Saw1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	53580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saw2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	53581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saw3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	53582  

Ringu (1998)
Runtime: 1 Hr 35 Mins
Production Company: Ringu/Rasen Production Committee
Distributed by Toho
Box Office: ¥1 billion (Japan)
Eight Votes
134 Points (25, 23, 22, 16, 16, 15, 12, 5)
High Voter: @Dirk120

One curse, one cure, one week to find it.
Attachments

Name:	Ringu 31.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	53583  

Two decent horrors - one that I was once crazy about but now feels dated and less impactful and ingenious than it used to (Saw) and one that was pretty good for what it was but never really did much for me (Ringu).

We are almost in the top 30 and I feel like the list should be stronger than it has been by now. Oh well, here’s hoping for a really solid top 30 or 20...

I didn't care about Saw that much. Calling it bad may be exaggerating but definitely not good either. Ringu on the other hand is excellent and it was my #3. Seen Ringu three times now and it hasn't lost its effectiveness at all. Slow burner with good characters and very suspenseful even on repeated viewings. Also way, way better than the remake.

Seen: 59/70

My list so far...

3. Ringu (1998) - 31st
7. Ginger Snaps (2000) - 91st
12. The Beyond (1981) - 93rd
14. Deep Red (1975) - 66th
16. The Descent (2005) - 40th
21. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
25. Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) - 1 pointer

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I got asked out by an older guy on a date to go and see The Blair Witch Project. I turned him down, partly because I wasn't really sure about him, partly because I was worried about being ID'd and refused entry which would have been embarrassing. I then went to see it with my friend anyway, and spent the time before the film slightly anxious the guy would show up at the cinema.

The film itself I found a little bit boring, a little bit silly, and the constant shots of leaves and jerky camera made me feel slightly nauseous. The end was creepy but didn't quite justify the hype. I never thought it was real and I don't know how anyone could have believed that.

On the way home we had to walk along a path through a lot of trees on either side. The film caught up with us then, as it was a fairly terrifying experience. Every odd sound made the hairs on my neck stand up. At one point we both just ran a good chunk of the way until we were past the trees. So, although it wasn't a film I really enjoyed, it certainly lingered afterwards.

The Omen was OK, didn't love it. Perfect Blue similar - there's good stuff about it but enough things I had problems with to not really feel positively about it. Haven't seen Saw or Ringu.

I read the plot to Saw. It looked like a good plot, but I don't watch anything with excessive blood and gore unless it's played for an obvious comedic effect.

I liked Saw, and had it at #19.

11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
16. Get Out
19. Saw
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

That leaves 17 left, and I think all of them have a good chance of making it, although I'm getting suspicious that my #20 and #23 didn't.

I was never a Saw fan but watched it again for this countdown and thought it was very entertaining. It ended up at least contending for my list. I don't think it's nearly as violent as it's reputation suggests.

I think I slightly prefer The Ring because I saw it first and Naomi Watts is in it, but they are comparable and both very good.

The Blair Witch Project is very high on my I-want-my-ticket-money-back-list along with Fantastic Four, Gigli, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze & Step Up 2.
Whilst I like it, I'll allow the refund on Blair Witch. Those others are your own fault though. WTF were you expecting?

I really liked Blair Witch when it came out. Pretty sure the OMG is it real?!? thing was starting to die by the time I saw it, but c'mon? Anyway, I used to like it a lot and if I'd seen it recently (or more recently than about 8 years ago) it might've occurred to me to try and find a place for it. But I doubt it.

Loved Ringu (though it was just called Ring over here) from the first moment I saw it. The whole thing was an experience. The TV in my bedroom was about 4 feet (if that) from my bed and I started watching it about 2am. It was late summer and a clear night, so windows were open and it was cold, which really created an atmosphere and helped considerably.

However, I've watched it a few times since and I think it still holds up and I prefer it to the remake (though I thought that was OK even though I hate the colouring)

There's a lot of films on this countdown so far which I've not seen. Most of those are C21st film, which I usually don't care for. However, I can't believe that any of them are worse than Possession and, if there's is a film on this countdown worse than Possession you can all go to hell. Absolute ****.

I still remember how the crowd in the theatre lost their collective minds towards the end of Saw when the twist was revealed. People talked about it for a long time afterwards, which made me glad I saw it when I did, otherwise that surprise would have been completely ruined. I kind of wish the film wasn't as popular as it was though, because then we wouldn't have half a dozen sequels that seem to progressively lose the psychological angle in favour of excessive gore.

Ringu was originally in contention for my list. I've always loved J-Horror films, but I rewatched all my favourites in preparation for the Countdown...and every single one of them ended up being disappointing to some degree. I'm not sure if my tastes have changed over the years, or if these films just don't really hold up too well on repeat viewings. I ended up cutting almost all of them from my list, and Ringu was one of those casualties.

I didn't comment on yesterday's films, because I haven't seen either one. I've heard so many people talking about The Blair Witch Project that it feels like I've seen it myself though haha. I may or may not have actually seen The Possession, since those stills look incredibly familiar, but it might have just been covered by a reviewer I follow.

Seen: 55/70
My List: 9

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
11. The Descent (2005) - #40
12. Saw (2004) - #32
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
21. Videodrome (1983) - #42
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I didn't watch Saw because I've heard that it's very graphic, so it didn't sound like a movie that I would want to sit through.

I haven't seen Ringu, but here's a funny story about the American remake The Ring. Just prior to the release of The Ring, I was working at a sci-fi and comic convention, and someone snuck around the room dropping off video tapes with a note that said something like "If you watch this video tape, you will die." on all the dealer tables. The dealers didn't know what they were, but some dealers were concerned about an unknown person just dropping the tapes off without asking or telling anyone about them, and many of the tapes were turned in to the show's security. They turned out to be videos with the trailer of the movie The Ring.