18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Have you ever gave a film a 0 before?

I normally don't announce my ratings when I do my reviews, because upon further thoughts I might change my opinion by a popcorn or not.

But because I'm running this I think it's important people know where I stand with each film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I didn't join this HoF because I'm still trying to catch up on 2018 releases, and haven't done any rewatches for the Horror Countdown yet. But I have been creeping on the thread, and will probably continue to do so going forward haha.

Out of the three nominations that I've seen, Perfect Blue is definitely my favourite. I rewatched it not too long ago, and liked it a lot more the second time around. Out of Satoshi Kon's work, I'd probably rank Paprika, Millennium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers ahead of it, but it's still a very solid film. I thought that Bubba Ho-Tep was alright, but I haven't seen it in at least 10 years so I have no idea what I'd think of it on a rewatch. I haven't seen Snow White in even longer, but I never really liked it when I was a kid, and don't really have any interest in revisiting it.

I might check out Road to Perdition, since it looks like something I might enjoy, even though I don't really like Tom Hanks. I'd heard of it before, but waved it off since for some reason I thought it was like The Road to Avonlea.
Is it creepy to say creeping is a good thing?? lol

I'd be curious to see what you thought of Perdition. I was a little hesitant the first time I saw it, regarding Hanks in such a role, but, as is his norm, he f@ckin nailed it. And to have Paul Newman and Jude Law along for the ride. . .

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) N
Ouch. Comedy never does well in HOFs, so I wasn't expecting everyone to love this, but still. Hopefully it'll get more positive feedback than that. It's a former top ten film for me.

Ouch. Comedy never does well in HOFs, so I wasn't expecting everyone to love this, but still. Hopefully it'll get more positive feedback than that. It's a former top ten film for me.

We really need to do a comedy Hall of Fame, perhaps by era's

We tried a Comedy HOF once and the result was... not good.
Massive fighting and the whole thing got cancelled.

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)

I must have spent 15 minutes tweaking the photo with Photoshop and another 15 minutes making the color fade title!...Why would I do that? Because I liked the movie! I thought this was a pretty cool movie. Anytime Elvis is on the screen I usually like the movie. Why? I'm not into his music, but Elvis is such an iconic character that he has his own sort of movie afterlife, and makes for an instantly recognizable & likeable movie character.

Bubba Ho-Tep
reminded me of a cross between
Elvis & Nixon (2016) & Barton Fink (1991) both films I really liked. I dug the way Elvis was played and I liked his side kick President Kennedy too. Both actors fit their movie roles nicely and never took it too over the top, which I liked. Oh and the Lone Ranger guy, Kemosabe! I especially got a kick out of him blazing his pistols away at the evil soul sucker, and of course his guns are just toy guns, ha!

If this had been way more gory I would have hated it, but as it was, most of the emphasize was on Elvis and how he felt about his life wasting away in a nursing home. I liked Elvis' backstory and the way he related to the people in the home. The darkly lit corridors of the nursing home and the absences of other stuff going on, made the story of Elvis all the more interesting as the film was primarily focused on him.

I liked the mystery of the soul sucker and how they went about figuring it all out. I'm actually glad that the amount of time the soul sucker was onscreen was limited because I didn't really care about that part of the story as much as the other stuff. The director could even have went with it all being in the heads of Kennedy and Elvis and that would have been just fine with me. I'm sure most horror fans wanted the horror kicked up a couple of notches but not me, and that's another reason I liked this movie.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubba Ho-Tep 2002.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	51292  

So the comedy HoF turned into comedy itself I may need to check the thread someday as I find the concept of HoF becoming a brawl somewhat weird.

I'm up for that. You could host some of the eras, and I would host one too, or two, the others could host yet other eras. I like that idea.

You need to host that I think it would work out this time.

My nomination is also a comedy so it'd be interesting to see how people react to that one too.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I'm up for that. You could host some of the eras, and I would host one too, or two, the others could host yet other eras. I like that idea.

You need to host that I think it would work out this time.

Yeah I think you'd want to go...
Classic 1900-1950 (Chaplin, Marx, Fields)

Satire 1951-1975 (Graduate, Singin the Rain, Dr. Strangelove)

Subversive 1975-2000 (Animal House, Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop)

Modern 2001-Today

So the comedy HoF turned into comedy itself I may need to check the thread someday as I find the concept of HoF becoming a brawl somewhat weird.
The fighting was across multiple threads. It also wasn't the only specialty HOF to devolve into fighting. At one point one of the mods set up a committee of non-HOF people to review and make decisions about disagreements in the HOF. The intent of that was good, but it just made matters worse.

Basically one person tried to get one of the comedy noms removed because it didn't fit their personal definition of comedy (it was a horror comedy) and they didn't want to watch it.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Well, this is a difficult movie to review I think, because of course it covers such a serious topic, one of the defining moments of the 21st century... but I think if one looks into the actual characters, filmmaking, music, etc., then the whole thing isn't that great. It is a story of a boy overcoming his fears and a loss - which is a noble idea, but it is presented in such a sappy, sentimental way that I don't really know how well it works out. The actors are pretty good, and there's some nice symbolism, such as the telephone calls and the swings. But that's nothing too original, and I'm frankly surprised this got nominated for best picture. Then again, it wasn't awful, and I did feel a strange mist in my eyes in some of the more emotional moments. But I think for the topic that it was dealing with, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close could have been so much better... but it turned rather into a sideshow that didn't really actually deal with the event at all. Anyways, I didn't dislike it by any means, but definitely not my favorite so far...

Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon; 1997)

This was a film I wanted to see for some time so I was glad when it was nominated. Overall I liked it a lot. The animation was very good and the film had a pretty unsettling atmosphere. The story was quite well told and I definitely thought that the film did a good job of distorting between reality and fiction. Overall I really enjoyed this and will probably end up being one of my favourite noms.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (William Cottrell, David Hand, et al., 1937)
Imdb

Date Watched: 01/30/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 18th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by ahwell
Rewatch: Yes

There's no denying the artistry of Snow White - that old school hand-drawn animation is absolutely gorgeous (especially on bluray) - and, of course, as Disney's first animated feature film it has historical significance - but damned if I'm just not all that fond of it.

A princess, plus an evil stepmother, plus magic spells, plus prince charming, plus a whole lot of singing equals Miss Vicky being annoyed for 83 minutes. It sure is pretty though.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (William Cottrell, David Hand, et al., 1937)
Imdb

Date Watched: 01/30/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 18th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by ahwell
Rewatch: Yes

There's no denying the artistry of Snow White - that old school hand-drawn animation is absolutely gorgeous (especially on bluray) - and, of course, as Disney's first animated feature film it has historical significance - but damned if I'm just not all that fond of it.

A princess, plus an evil stepmother, plus magic spells, plus prince charming, plus a whole lot of singing equals Miss Vicky being annoyed for 83 minutes. It sure is pretty though.

Sorry it annoyed you... maybe I should have gone with 2001: A Space Odyssey instead.

Sorry it annoyed you.
No need to apologize. I've seen it many times and own it on bluray, so it's not like this was any kind of surprise. I am just happy to see some animation in this HOF. We don't usually get any in the general HOFs.

... maybe I should have gone with 2001: A Space Odyssey instead.
Yeah, no. I hate that movie. It's beautiful, but really boring. I'd much, much rather sit through 83 minutes of annoying but gorgeous animation than 149 minutes of a slow ass Stanley Kubrick Sci-Fi, even if it is impressive visually.