Tools    

Most interesting man in the world
Curse of the Fly 1965 7 / 10

"Motorist Martin Delambre attempts to keep evidence of his family's
bizarre experiments in teleportation hidden from his wife, who is
hiding secrets of her own."

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

+
What is the world, where only good person is the girl addicted to drugs and guy, who murdered a lot of people?
Wait! It's our world.
Warning! Nothing optimistic in this movie.

The War Zone (Tim Roth, 1999)

Casualties, every which way you turn

*thanks to crick for bringing this one to my attention, turns out I had actually seen it years ago but well worthy of a rewatch

Mother! (2017, Darren Aronofsky)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

(Guy Ritchie)

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I did not hate this movie. Even more so that it was entertaining. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword suffers from biting off more than it could chew, wanting to establish itself as the first of a planned series of "King Arthur" films. In doing so, the film sacrifices some story elements in favour of 'setting up' future events or characters. For this film to truly work it needed to focus on its own thing.

Arthur watches his family be killed in the sacking of his home. He manages to escape and grows up in the streets as an unknown child. His uncle knows he's alive and is testing every person of age several years later, to try and pull the legendary sword from stone. Arthur does this and ignites a battle between a rebellion wanting a better ruler and their king, wanting more power.

Ritchie throws a modern flashy style to this old-time tale. The result isn't a bad as one would expect. To begin any sort of enjoyment from this movie, I immediately had to disregard it as a serious film. If you do that, you get a lot more out of it. One chase sequence comes to mind as a really well choreographed scene that was suspenseful and entertaining. Yet for every fun sequence like that, we have a rushed and poorly edited one to match. For example, Arthur has to go on this epic quest, which sees him battle against giant bats, wolves, and creatures of the night. This journey is told in a quickly and poorly edited montage. This sequence alone could be an entire movie if it wanted to. King Arthur is so busy wanting to be a fast paced film that it misses key moments in story and character.

The cast doesn't do much to inspire confidence. Jude Law is power hungry, willing to sacrifice his own family for more, but we never truly feel the emotional weight this should carry. Maybe this is due to the little to no screen-time we have with these people, so we don't care enough. Hollywood desperately wants to make Charlie Hunnam a thing. I don't 'not' like him, but he does seem to play the same character in every single movie he does. If anyone can tell me the difference between his Arthur, his Jax Teller and whoever he plays in Pacific Rim, that would be much appreciated.

For all its faults and there are many, I did have a smile on my face while watching this. I looked past the bad CGI character fight sequences that looks like it comes straight out of a video game and enjoyed the inane spectacle this film is. Or maybe my standards of enjoyment have just dropped....could go either way.

Suspect's Reviews

https://tvbookmark.com/
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi 7/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Sorrow and the Pity

I liked hearing French people say how the Germans were actually nice, always giving up their seats, etc., instead of the sensationalist stuff.. I also remember those who said "Those French women who dated Germans were dealt with after the war" and other things, such as making money from the chaos.. I especially liked when a group was interviewed, and to hear differing opinions from people who were with the Resistance.

Death Machine (Stephen Norrington, 1994)
+
Fun enough slice of Roboterminalien

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Entanglement (Jason James): After a failed suicide attempt, Ben decides to create a wall of his life, showing different routes he has taken and could take. When he learns he may have a sister, the result of his parents adopting only to give the baby back after learning his mother was pregnant with him, Ben finds his sister Hanna, who introduces him to a world he never imagined. However, things become very strange when Hanna may not appear as she is and it is up to Ben to find out the truth and to why Hanna is helping him. Great performances by lead actors Thomas Middleditch, Jess Weixler, and Diana Bang (as Ben's bestie who has crush on him Tabby) drive the film that ends with quite a shocking twist that all relates to Einstein's theory of "quantum entanglement".

I interviewed director Jason James about the film and his take on "quantum entanglement"

Final Rating: B+

Craig's Wife (Dorothy Arzner, 1936)
+
Highlights the importance of not making beds that are uncomfortable

The War Zone (Tim Roth, 1999)

Casualties, every which way you turn

*thanks to crick for bringing this one to my attention, turns out I had actually seen it years ago but well worthy of a rewatch
Excellent disturbing film.

Blade Runner 2049

God damn.

Twists, turns, makes you question what is or isn't real. Or is it?
Yes.
No.

Erm.

Ok.

Blade Runner is one of the most iconic movies ever made.

There's a lack of memorable quotes, dialogue, scenes.
But, then again, so was the original.

Apart from that the first film had that scene at the end from Rutger Hauer, where he ad libbed some poetry... whereas this film was lacking that special kinda "oomph" scene.
There was also a Pris thing harking back to the original, where one of the characters looked a bit like her in this film.

Other than that, it's up there with the best sequels of all time.
Aliens, Terminator 2, The Godfather 2, The Empire Strikes Back, The Wrath Of Khan, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, The Dark Knight... and now, Blade Runner 2049.

Give it a go.

Unbroken (Angelina Jolie, 2014)

Far from in good condition

Most interesting man in the world
Six Days Seven Nights 1998 7 / 10

Robin Monroe, a New York magazine editor, and the
gruff pilot Quinn Harris must put aside their mutual dislike
if they are to survive after crash landing on a deserted South Seas island.

-fun movie

Six Days Seven Nights 1998 7 / 10

Robin Monroe, a New York magazine editor, and the
gruff pilot Quinn Harris must put aside their mutual dislike
if they are to survive after crash landing on a deserted South Seas island.

-fun movie
I didn't know that was about a deserted tropical island, cool! I'm going to watch that, thanks for posting about it

Not sure what a fair rating for this is, as it was fun, but it kind of made me want to watch the movies it reminded me of. Not that that's a bad thing.

+