The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Loved Gilda though it has been a few years since I last saw it, but there was no way I was gonna NOT have it on my list. It was #24. Like so many others, one of my favorite Rita Hayworth roles.
Have not seen Suspicion but need to.

Seen: 18/30

My List:
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Time (1 Pointer)

I have only seen 10 so far. I would be shocked if I haven't seen the Looney Tunes but I won't check them off unless I rewatch.

I have only seen 10 so far. I would be shocked if I haven't seen the Looney Tunes but I won't check them off unless I rewatch.
There's actually no Looney Tunes so far. Education for Death is Disney and King-Size Canary is MGM, The Cat Concerto that made the one pointers is also MGM.

Hopefully at least one Looney Tunes is still to come

There's actually no Looney Tunes so far. Education for Death is Disney and King-Size Canary is MGM, The Cat Concerto that made the one pointers is also MGM.

Hopefully at least one Looney Tunes is still to come
King Size Canary looks really familiar. Cat Concerto too, I was thinking that was part of the list.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~70~

Director: Robert Siodmak
Producer: Islin Auster
Distributor: Universal Pictures

63 Points - 5 Lists
(9th; 10th; 13th; 17th; 18th)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~69~

Director: Maya Deren & Alexander Hammid
Producer: Maya Deren

63 Points - 5 Lists
(7th-2x; 8th; 22nd; 23rd)

I liked The Suspect but a few things stopped it from being a favourite. This is what i posted about it:

The Suspect

Sorry for how short this is, it has nothing to do with the quality of the film it just happens to be one that i don't have much to say about.

I quite liked it, don't think it will become a new favourite but there's alot to like and i can see why Sean liked it so much. Loved Laughton, the first time the film got my attention was his "It might frighten you." line, it was delivered equal parts sinister and campy: awesome. He was naturally likable and charming here and i thought his character was very well handled with the major turn in events. That part was particularly well written it wasn't easy to keep Laughton likable with what happens but it worked. Something i didn't like was how they skipped over Phillip and Marys relationship; it was here's them at dinner, now a circus, look they are laughing and having a good time. I think it is a cheap way of avoiding having to put the effort into actually developing a relationship between them. I mean three minutes after they've met they are according to Mary best friends. It really spoiled any chance of me caring much about them, like the attempted emotional scene of Phillip telling her he can't see her anymore didn't work for me at all. Also Ella Raines acting during those clips was horrible especially when she had to look shocked at the circus. Actually in all honesty i don't really think Raines was very good in this overall.

One thing that unintentionally cracked me up was Mary being told "We don't sell cigarettes to ladies". I mean was that a real thing? That is hilarious to me and i'm not sure why. I know that is a really random thing to bring up but it just stuck with me for some reason haha. Overall i quite liked it; Laughton was great and i liked the story paricularly the mystery which i never really felt i had figured out, but i didn't really like any of the other performances.

That ended up longer than i expected haha. Solid nomination Ed. Just How Green Was My Valley left for me, should get to it before the new year.
Not seen Meshes of the Afternoon, i know it's what Tokeza's av is from at least though haha.

Seen: 12/32

The Suspect was my most pleasant surprise and I definitely wouldn't have discovered it without the HOF. I believe it was Edarsenal's nom. Thought I had it at 8 so I must have been the 9.

I have only heard of " The Suspect ". Rather strange that such an obscure noir ended up so high on the list. I'll make an effort to check it out.

Meshes of the Afternoon is a highly influential film in Surrealist cinema, but not something I was particularly impressed with.

Ha, I was just going to say those famous words, "I haven't seen neither"...well actually I was going to type them, when I realized I had seen The Suspect, and I liked it too. My short review if anyone is interested.

The other one, never even heard of it, until just now of course

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Damn, those 40s HOFs had a monster impact on this countdown. If only one of my 40s nominees (not Pink Horse, but another one) would make it I'd be a happy camper.

The Suspect was pretty solid but it wasn't all that close to making my 25.

Damn, those 40s HOFs had a monster impact on this countdown. If only one of my 40s nominees (not Pink Horse, but another one) would make it I'd be a happy camper.

Don't think either of mine will make it now. Oh well i wasn't crazy about one of them myself anyway.

@seanc is correct, The Suspect was my nom from the 40's HoF Part I which was my first HoF and it was a blind grab and was very happy to have found it. Here's what I had to say:
"Laughton had always been one of those powerhouse performers since I was a child; specifically Hunchback of Notre Dame (becoming THE rendition and all others falling to the wayside) and Mutiny on the Bounty, with his famous, cascading roar "Mister ChrisTIAN!" forever ringing in my head to this day - in a very good way.
Along with movies such as Captain Kidd and Rembrandt, in later years, that powerhouse image was cemented. Knowing that he had quite the versatility as an actor I rarely found the opportunity to actual watch the other ranges of his ability.
The Suspect is one of those movies.
His character is quieter, calmer, more tranquil in his bearing. Braving the turbulent seas of a loveless marriage with the dulled acceptance of a man grown more than simply accustomed to it. The fire of previous roles are shadows within his eyes and Laughton does a superb job of playing the cuckold husband who keeps his cool after finally going through with what was dreamed of, for so many years.
Along with him he is accompanied by several actors that bring enjoyment to this story telling. Which is the very basis of this movie. A story telling. This is not a cinematic endeavor, or rather, the composition is secondary and the story comes first. One we are continually placed very intimately in without ever feeling claustrophobic.

This is not an epic movie. A must see or in any form or fashion; grandiose.
What it is: is a very pleasant little gem of a movie that is quite enjoyable to see."

I had it at #17.
And @Jeff Costello I do believe you'd enjoy this one, there a couple of copies on youtube, which is where I originally found it. A full length and one that was in parts, both are very good.

Have not heard of Meshes, sadly.

Seen: 19/32

My List:
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Time (1 Pointer)

Okay, CR, I'll use those famous words, "I haven't seen neither".

I've heard of The Suspect but have never had the opportunity to see it. It's a Robert Siodmak film, so I need to as one of his movies from the 50's is a favorite.

Meshes of the Afternoon---I've never heard of it, so no-go for either, sadly.

I ended up with about 9 from the two HoFs though the two highest ones were old favorites and already guaranteed spots.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Suspect is a good suspenser, and Meshes of the Afternoon is a particularly intriguing short which although often bewildering seems to make a meaningful whole. I didn't vote for either.