The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Blithe Spirit was my #4, truly charming and witty feel. Only other I've seen since my last post is To be or Not to Be and that was ages ago.

My List:
4. Blithe Spirit (1945)
5.Education for Death: The Making of the Nazi (1943)
7. King Size Canary (1947)
23. Detour (1945)
25. You Gotta Stay Happy (1948) (1 pointer)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~82~

Director: Tay Garnett
Producer: Carey Wilson
Distributor: MGM

50 Points - 4 Lists
(6th; 11th; 14th; 23rd)

~81~

Director: Henry Hathaway
Producer: Fred Kohlmar
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

51 Points - 3 Lists
(3rd; 7th; 17th)

Seen neither again. Not sure if i've heard of Kiss of Death. I have read The Postman Always Rings Twice and i watched the 40's film Ossessione which is based on it, not that version however.

Seen - 6/20
My List - 0/25

Seen neither again. Not sure if i've heard of Kiss of Death. I have read The Postman Always Rings Twice and i watched the 40's film Ossessione which is based on it, not that version however.

Seen - 6/20
My List - 0/25
I think Richard Widmark is the most memorable thing about Kiss of Death. It is good, but Widmark is the standout. I want to ask you if you know THE scene from the film, but I am afraid I will spoil it for you if you have never seen it - and you plan to. It is a very well-known scene. My mother always said how scared she was of Widmark (despite the fact that she also strangely thought he reminded of her uncle - they looked nothing alike!) when she was a kid because of that scene. She hated it. But then again, why were my grandparents taking their kids to see movie like that, anyway?

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) : Not a big fan. Ossessione is a much superior film in my book. Here's a short write-up where I compared the two...

Ossessione (1943) - Luchino Visconti / The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) - Tay Garnett

I watched them back to back, considering they're both adaptions of the same novel by James M. Cain. While Visconti's version was definitely more challenging watch, I also found it to be more rewarding and compelling. The main aspect that separated the two was chemistry between the lead actors. Clara Calamai & Massimo Girotti really eclipsed John Garfield & Lana Turner in that area. It is also worth noticing that American version significantly worsened as the film progressed, whereas Visconti's version kept getting more and more interesting. Even though Garnett was more faithful to the book, I actually prefered Visconti's alteration in the second half, because it didn't focus so much on the trial. Ultimately TPART is a more accessible film, but Ossessione has it beat in direction, script, acting and cinematography in my opinion.
Kiss of Death (1947) : Pretty average noir, highlighted primarily by Richard Widmark's famed debut and an iconic "wheelchair scene" .

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
been a few years since I've seen Kiss of Death but, yeah, Widmark is what I always remember about that movie
Never seen The Postman Rings Twice and I've always been on the fence about seeing it. Not really sure why.

Seen: 9/20

My List:
#18 Waterloo Bridge
#25 Arch of Time 1 Pointer

The Postman Always Rings Twice completely loses its track in the second half IMO. The story becomes ridiculously unbelieavable and dependant on cheap plot devices. I mean the " court scenes " where bunch of nonexistential law happens were straight up ludicrous. Obviously the film was tightly based on a novel, but the story was so convoluted and implausible, I couldn't really walk past it. Visconti's version was altered from the novel in some segments, but the story was much more grounded in reality which is one of the reasons I consider it a better film.

Kiss of Death, A fun noir with a really good- crazy/bad guy performance by Richard Widmark. A person doesn't watch noirs for ultra realism, so just enjoy the ride down the stairs....Bwahahaha

I read that Tommy Udo fan clubs started popping up all over America after this movie came out.

The Postman Always Rings Twice
, I've seen it once, but don't remember much, funny thing is I just picked it up at the library a couple of days ago. Maybe I'll watch it tonight. Oh, not a big fan of Lana Turner.

Oh, not a big fan of Lana Turner.
And if I were to have a second girl crush (behind Ava, of course!), it would be Lana Turner. I like her. She sometimes can be a little melodramatic, but I am OK with that. She looks good doing it.

The Postman Always Rings Twice
, I've seen it once, but don't remember much, funny thing is I just picked it up at the library a couple of days ago. Maybe I'll watch it tonight. Oh, not a big fan of Lana Turner.
And you don't like John Garfield either so it'd be tough for you to like the movie. My wife remarked this weekend how pretty Veronica Lake was, and I told her she doesn't compare to Lana Turner.

And you don't like John Garfield either so it'd be tough for you to like the movie. My wife remarked this weekend how pretty Veronica Lake was, and I told her she doesn't compare to Lana Turner.
Listen to the wife

Veronica Lake wouldn't be near my tops, but she's kinda cool with that peekaboo hairdo.

SWEET! Two films I have seen, a double dose of Noir, but I only voted for one. Kiss of Death was my number 17. Widmark was a delight and Victor Mature was really good too.

I almost voted for the Postman Always Rings Twice, but I had to make room for other movies and better Noir.

17. Kiss of Death (1947)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Postman Always Rings Twice for this countdown, and I liked the movie, but there were parts that just weren't believable, so it didn't make my list.

I don't think I've seen Kiss of Death.

Actually I just finished watching The Postman Always Rings Twice and loved it. I might have included it on my list had I rewatched it for the countdown. I remembered next to nothing about, so it was a real treat watching it.

It had one of the most nuanced scripts I've seen for a noir and was very polished as one would expect from a big budget MGM production. So many wonderful little details and a great supporting cast.

Loved the way the movie introduced Garfield to the Two Oaks Diner with the Man Wanted sign, and hitching a ride from the DA of all people.

And the way they introduced Lana Turner with her lipstick rolling across the floor, as the camera pans to her and up her legs, then back to Garfield's stunned expression. Then her expecting Garfield to bring the lipstick across the floor to her, but Garfield being too cool to do that. That scene really established the love hate relationship between the two. Oh the hamburger burning on the grill because of Garfield's distraction at seeing her, really laid it out...she would be his doom. Like I said lots of nuanced details.

John Garfield was excellent in this as his personality of the roguish but self destructive rebel worked perfect for the film.

I liked Lana Turner better than I would have expected. She sure looked great in the all white ensembles that she wore, and her looks is probably her biggest appeal.

I'd rate The Postman Always Rings Twice

Two I'd have needed to rewatch for the countdown but didn't - obviously neither made my list

Faildictions:
80. The Murderers Are Among Us
79. The Strange Woman

Let the night air cool you off
My list

8. Blithe Spirit (#90)
10. King-Size Canary (#97)
11. Education for Death (#95)
24. The Magnificent Ambersons (#85)

Shoutout to @donniedarko for having the same list as me