The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

First, thanks to CR, ed, and Camo for their comments and recommendations. And thanks for the link, Camo. I really am looking forward to that movie. And CR, I agree about Audrey Totter---it was the first thing I'd ever seen her in and boy did she have a wicked glare! But I thought it was sexy at the same time.

For the two new entries, I've never heard of Le Corbeau but it sounds really interesting. Jeff, thanks for the description...it makes me want to see it even more. I'm going to start a list of films that I haven't seen and try to find them.

Blithe Spirit, I have heard of but not in the way of description. I had no idea that Lean directed it. I'm curious to see it now. The good thing about movies I haven't seen or heard of is when someone speaks up and talks about it, I get interested, which is a good thing.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love Blithe Spirit, but it didn't make my list. It was in my last round of cuts, and it was cut mainly because of the same issue that a couple of other people have mentioned, the color of the spirits. If you can get past that visual issue, it's a great movie.

I haven't heard of the other movie.

Seen neither. Have liked everything from Lean so far so i'll probably like Blithe Spirit. I actually made a post about wanting to see Le Corbeau way back in the first 40's HoF, at the time i wasn't going to join so i mentioned that would have been my blind nom but i decided to join and since i had already mentioned that i picked something else. Never got round to it.

It's been an awful long time since I've seen Blithe Spirit so my memory is far too distant to comment really, I bought a copy of Le Corbeau in prep for this countdown but not got round to watching it yet. Neither entry made my list

Faildictions:
88. I Know Where I'm Going
87. Spring In A Small Town [Xiao cheng zhi chun]

Two film I'd have had on my list, had I had one. For me, Waterloo Bridge and Blithe Spirit are two of the best of this decade.

I'm very pleased, but at the same time genuinely suprised that 'Le Corbeau' made the list. I had it placed at NO.8.

If anyone is interested in watching it, the story is about a french village doctor who becomes a target of poisonous anonymous letters accusing him of affairs and practicing abortion. Pierre Fresnay , an actor best known for his roles in La Grande Illusion and Murderer Lives at Number 21 (another neat flick by Cluzot) plays the lead. The screenplay was loosely based on a true story and the film itself was pretty controversial at the time, due to fact that it was produced by the German company named Continental Films. Majority of the crew, including Cluzot were actually suspended from working in film industry after France was liberated from Germany because the film was allegedly labeled as an anti-french propaganda.

Anyway 'Le Corbeau' is a masterwork of dark suspense and also possesses a beautiful shadowy cinematography. It is also quite underseen and therefore I strongly encourage everyone to give this gem a shot.
25. The Spiral Staircase
03. Le Corbeau

I had it at #3, which was enough to get it ranked. It's likely one of the better mysteries of the mystery era, which is why it managed to crack the top ten on two peoples lists.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~88~

Director: Charles Walters
Producer: Arthur Freed
Distributor: MGM

41 Points - 2 Lists
(2nd; 9th)

~87~

Director: Allan Dwan
Producer: Herbert Yates
Distributor: Republic Pictures

43 Points - 3 Lists
(2nd; 10th; 23rd)

Two film I'd have had on my list, had I had one.
Speaking of which, why didn't you send one? I was thinking that yours would be a list that I should expect to receive. I very disappointed.

I've never actually kept track of how many films I've seen in any of the countdowns. Looking back at the list, I have seen (for sure) 6 of the one point films (I honestly don't know if I have ever seen Angel and the Badman - it seems familiar, but I don't know). Out of the 14 films that have made the list so far, I have seen all but one of them. The one that I have not seen is Detour. I've heard of it, but I have never seen it.

Been way too long since I've seen Easter Parade to comment properly, Sands Of Iwo Jima is ok but I'm not really a big JW fan. Given that, perhaps unsurprisingly neither made my list

Faildictions:
86. 13 Rue Madeleine
85. The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers

When i guessed Easter Parade earlier that absolutely wasn't from experience, i checked Letterboxd for top Musicals of the 40's and that was high, had never heard of it before. I really loved a 40's Musical with Judy Garland because of a Judy Garland scene partially so i should probably try that one too at some point; 30's Musicals soon one of which was chosen by our illustrious host .

Not seen Sands of Iwo Jima either. I may or may not have mixed a film with Iwo Jima in its title up with 3:10 To Yuma, that may or may not be true

Easter Parade was my #9

Such a wonderful musical with two of my favorite performers, a singer and a hoofer: Judy Garland and Fred Astaire. Plus a ton of really great Irving Berlin songs. Though my favorite song/number was cut from the movie.

Here it is, and it's only 3 minutes...love Judy in this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VnDIqlOfI

Yahoo! encore...encore!

@Camo - 3:10 To Iwo Jima is a fantastic watch .... I'll never forget the scene of the horses charging up the beach

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A couple more watchable flicks, but neither were on my list. Both movies have an Easter connection - watch these clips to see what it is.

30's Musicals soon one of which was chosen by our illustrious host .
Oh, yeah! I almost forgot about that. I wonder how you will like it. Musicals from that era are sometimes quite a bit different than the 40's. I always think that the first time a movie musical became what we think it is today was with The Wizard of Oz. Much more colorful, of course, and the songs being more connected to the story.

Easter Parade was my #9

Such a wonderful musical with two of my favorite performers, a singer and a hoofer: Judy Garland and Fred Astaire. Plus a ton of really great Irving Berlin songs. Though my favorite song/number was cut from the movie.

Here it is, and it's only 3 minutes...love Judy in this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VnDIqlOfI

Yahoo! encore...encore!
Easter Parade is a pretty good film. My favorite number is definitely this one:

Followed by this one (I have always been so jealous of Ann Miller's ability to tap like that):

Okay, okay...

I haven't seen either one per say... or at all really... but at least I know about both of them!

Okay I don't. BUT I do know one of them at least. I mean, just one single little one for one f*cking time.

OKAY. SCREW IT. Another two I haven't seen or heard of...

Dammit there's two I haven't seen including one I don't want to see. I think I'll finish off another list and wait for another time to worry about this one

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
have not seen either of these though they are ones I would like to see at some point.
Thanks Mark for the connection to the two

Seen: 7/14

My List:
#18 Waterloo Bridge
#25 Arch of Time 1 Pointer