1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I agree with Camo about the acting. A big part that didn't make it great for me. I still appreciate certain aspects though, like the cinematography.

Nope, I hadn't read your review yet on Beauty and the Beast. I do read them all eventually...and so I just did and see you also mentioned the gliding down the corridor scene. Gosh, I know I seen that same thing in a fairly new period piece film and it really caught my attention. It might have been Belle (2013).

I have a question, if the theme was love can turn a beast into a man, and a man into a beast, what was it that her boyfriend did that was so horrible that he should turn into a beast? That scene bugged me some.

Half way thru the Day of Wrath. So far so good

First I thought I'd be watching noms by the list on page 1, but once I learned the second nom (His Girl Friday) is actually a comedy I started to watch noms with no particular order. I'm very skeptic about comedies. They supposed to make me laugh however there's so little that actually make me to do so.

Half way thru the Day of Wrath. So far so good

First I thought I'd be watching noms by the list on page 1, but once I learned the second nom (His Girl Friday) is actually a comedy I started to watch noms with no particular order. I'm very skeptic about comedies. They supposed to make me laugh however there's so little that actually make me to do so.
Most of the comedy in His Girl Friday comes from satirizing greedy corrupt politicians and do anything for a buck newsmen. I rewatched it just a few days ago (and had seen it also at the start of this Hof) I got much more out of it on the second watch.

I will be watching my own nom I Remember Mama tonight so then I can read your review on it.

Most of the comedy in His Girl Friday comes from satirizing greedy corrupt politicians and do anything for a buck newsmen. I rewatched it just a few days ago (and had seen it also at the start of this Hof) I got much more out of it on the second watch.

I will be watching my own nom I Remember Mama tonight so then I can read your review on it.
i wonder what you got to say about your nom. When was it you saw it last time?

I have a question, if the theme was love can turn a beast into a man, and a man into a beast, what was it that her boyfriend did that was so horrible that he should turn into a beast? That scene bugged me some.
Yeah, the ending was a bit messy. And the reasoning why someone is transformed to beast was definitely left unclear.

When La Bete was transformed into Prince Ardent , he said he was transformed into beast because his parents didn't believe in spirits, but Avenant was transformed into one for trespassing in Diana's pavilion. That left me with the impression that La Bete was perhaps lying about his story and had actually broken into pavilion himself as a human ?

I wish Avenant, had been shown to be more of a brute who's full of rage and jealousy...and who mistreated Belle. Then the transformation seen would have worked for me.

I wish Avenant, had been shown to be more of a brute who's full of rage and jealousy...and who mistreated Belle. Then the transformation seen would have worked for me.
But wasn't he though? He tried to forcefully kiss La Belle, he punched his best friend, slapped a woman, stole and ultimately attempted a murder because of jealousy. I think he was definitely supposed to be shown as scoundrel and shallow, basically as a contrast to good-hearted Beast.

For me, the biggest theme at the end of the film was that man and beast are essentially the same, which is supported by Jean Marais playing Avenant, the Beast, and the Prince. Belle has dialogue earlier in the film where she repeatedly tells the Beast that he's not as bad as he thinks, and that there are men out there who are much more beastly than he is. The point is that it is how we behave that determines whether someone is a monster or not.

While I said that love could redeem someone, I mentioned greed specifically as a corrupting influence that would turn an otherwise decent man beastly because that was what Avenant's main crime was. Early in the film it is just Belle that he wants for himself, however when the family finds out about the Beast's treasure, he devices a plan to steal it. Avenant is cocky, and thinks he has everything figured out. He doesn't care about Belle's feelings, and is too tempted by an easy score. Thus his true nature is revealed.

His Girl Friday

My second watch of this film. I think I was able to process a bit more of the laughs this time around. I've always liked Cary Grant. The first time I couldn't get into his character but I could a but this time. The first time I saw this I didn't care for Rosalind Russell. I felt she was pretty good this time though. I like the quick witty banter between the two of them. The story isn't a sensational one, but it's still interesting to see where it all leads. Hawks has a lot of talent and is able to use his talents in a variety of ways. This won't be a film that will probably ever become a favorite, but it is one that I will have respect for. I just seem to like other screwball comedies a tad bit more though.

-

The Ghost and Mrs Muir (1947)

I'm super tired so this might not make much sense...or does it? I've only seen this once before some years ago and had liked it at the time, enough to have it on my list of 77 possible movies for this Hof. It was a big list!

This time around, I enjoyed the film even more. I'm not going all analytical, because like I said, I'm tired.

The two things I didn't like, and these are not a deal breaker are: Right after Gene Tierney meets George Sanders' wife and realizes he's married, this really dramatic music comes up....like we didn't know this was a shock to her. I wish they would have held off on that music for like 3 seconds, so that we could feel the emotion of hurt that Gene was feeling. For me that music washed away the climax of the scene.

The other thing is towards the end of the film when it seems the story is over and she's resting in a chair and looks at the painting of the captain, she says something about it all being like a dream. I wish they had ended the movie right there. But then we get an epilogue that ends in a fantasy scene where she goes off into the afterlife with the ghost of the captain. I wish they hadn't done the epilogue, it felt anti-climatic.

But...I did really enjoy the movie, I just decided to write about a couple things that I wish was different. I thought Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison were really good. I loved the setting on the seaside and the house made a really cool background for a nice story to be told.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	g&mm2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	31475  

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
But then we get an epilogue that ends in a fantasy scene where she goes off into the afterlife with the ghost of the captain. I wish they hadn't done the epilogue, it felt anti-climatic.
OK. Hmmm.....
Now I will have to write something about that scene in my review. I was debating over whether or not I would say something or not, but I suppose I will now. It won't be any big deal, but now I will have to go on about it just because.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) - Joseph L. Mankiewicz

For whatever reason, I always find it much harder to write about the films I really really love, perhaps because I want to say so much but am not articulate enough in English to properly express myself. Therefore I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I simply adore every aspect of this film ! To be perfectly honest, fantasy romance is not at the top of the genres I usually enjoy, but I found this story to be so incredibly captivating and charming.

The heart and soul of this film is Gene Tierney and her portrayal of Lucy Moir, a freshly widowed young woman, who's desperate to finally claim her own independence. Ultimately she ends up starting a new life in a cottage by the sea with her young daughter and a faithful housekeeper, only to discover that the cottage is haunted by the ghost of a seemingly harsh and frightening sea captain Daniel Gregg. The way Mrs. Muir and Captain Gregg, learn to co-exist and how their relationships evolves over the months spent together is a simply joy to watch. And in my opinion, Gene Tierney was masterful in her performance. It's fascinating to me, how with only 27-years of age, she possessed such dose of elegance and maturity to pull of such demanding role. She truly is one of the most underrated actresses of her generation.

Joining Gene as her leading partner was Rex Harrison, who was pretty great himself. I thought that chemistry between him and Gene was amazing. I liked how his character was so reluctant to let Mrs. Muir stay in the cottage, but ultimately decided to do so after he realized how strong-willed and visibly lost Mrs. Muir really is. I guess it was a combination of pity and sympathy that Captain Gregg initially felt towards her, however as the two started to live together he sort of became Mrs. Muir's guardian angel (ghost) who deeply cared and watched out for her. It was like their loneliness blended together and created a love story larger than life. But despite how touching and heartfelt their relationship was their interactions provided some great comedy as well, mainly manifested through contast of Captain Gregg's rough seamen (not sailor, haha) vocabulary and Mrs. Muir's dignified manners. I found it funny how Mrs. Muir was eventually so consumed by Gregg's vocabulary that she started to use some of it herself.

Lastly regarding performances, I'll mention George Sanders, who was effective as a sweet-talking and scoundrel child author and a love interest for Mrs. Muir. Edna Best was also great as Martha. I especially liked how direct her character was with her dislike for Uncle Neddy (child author).

One of the aspects, I hold high in regard with this film is its exquisitely delicate musical score by a famed composer Bernard Herrmann. It really set the mood for this fantasy romance and perfectly captured the enchanting atmosphere of the cottage by the sea. Even Herrmann himself stated, he considers his score for "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" his finest work. Another instrumental segment was the location, which perfectly embodied the sense of isolation and romantic atmosphere, which film was trying to create. Despite being set in England, the film was actually shot in California and along the central Pacific coastline.

Also I need to mention the film's ending. It was so beautifully orchestrated and fitting, even though I didn't expect it the first time I saw it, for some reason. Nonetheless it was still very powerful on a rewatch and I even thought it may have served as an inspiration for the ending of Titanic (1997). If I were to nitpick, I'd say that the only thing I didn't really like was that the last exchange between Mrs. Muir and Martha was unpleasant one. I felt bad for Martha, who was visibly upset because of their altercation.

But still I consider this film to be virtually flawless and one of my definite favourites.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A very wonderful review, @Jeff Costello. Some really great movies in this HoF I am so excited to see. Actually went looking for this one today. We'll see how my luck runs for it.

Damn it. I knew I should have rewatched The Ghost and Mrs. Muir like I intended to, instead of rewatching Prometheus with my room mate. I don't remember enough about it to read the reviews and discussion about it.

The Sea Wolf SPOILERS

The story of a crew and it's ruthless captain, played to a T by Edward Robinson. He is the captain of the ship who picked up two people whom survived a ship collision. I love the atmosphere of the dark story of these characters set at sea. The visuals were pretty good for their time. I thought other than Robinson, the acting was just ok. I really liked Barry Fitzgerald but he plays quite a minor role in the film. How evil is this captain though? He pretty much contributes to someone giving up and risking their life with a blood transfusion and is directly reliable for another getting it's leg bitten off by a shark. He is also responsible for the ending fate of the ship and Van Weydens ending fate. It has a pretty grim ending, but sometimes, it's just great to see how it plays out. He basically takes on the personality of the ship, that the world is in his way and if he goes down they all go down. Had the acting been a tad bit better from a few of the others I would have rated this higher. Films set at sea are always something I have enjoyed.

+

Really great review Jeff, you put into words alot of the stuff i liked about it which i couldn't be bothered to haha.

This is the only part i disagree with:

I liked how his character was so reluctant to let Mrs. Muir stay in the cottage,
Did this actually happen? Did i miss it? I think my biggest problem was that there was next to no reluctance, he had fell for and started telling her she should stay pretty much right away out of nowhere. There was two argument scenes but that was the extent of their interactions before he apparently wanted her there and it didn't feel earned to me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great lil review, @rauldc14. Loved Fitzgerald in this as well.

Comparing the captain's callous indifference to his crew, to the ship was pretty spot on and something I didn't consider when I first saw this.