Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Noah (2014)

I've watched it by "an accident". It wasn't on my list "to watch" and suprisingly I enyoj it. What can I say? - Aronofsky.

Jeepers Creepers (2001) - Victor Salva

- Instant Childhood classic for me. This is just nostalgia I love and appreciate every bit of this rewatch like I do every single time. The Creeper is one of the coolest and badass creature of horror history. Justin Long and Gina Phillips are superb. Movie is great and I cannot wait for the 3rd one coming in 2017/2018.

“I was cured, all right!”
The Void! A cosmic horror with practical effects? ****ing finally!! I'm sold! NO CGI? Hell YEAH!!

Damn

YEESSS Good film!

Favorite Romero film!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Gift

(Joel Edgerton)

With The Gift, Joel Edgerton delivers a thrilling film that manages to subvert the crazy stalker genre just enough to make it memorable. This film showcases the many talents of Edgerton, who not only stars as the weird and desperate Gordo, but also directs, produces and wrote the film.

Married couple Simon and Robyn move from Chicago back to Simon's hometown area. They recently lost a baby due to stress and want to relieve some of that. While back home, Simon is caught off guard by Gordon, an old classmate who wants to strike up a friendship. Simon doesn't seem to keen on it considering Gordon was considered extremely weird back then and comes off as a little socially awkward now. It doesn't matter though because gifts start showing up on their doorstep. When Simon finally decides to put an end to this one way friendship, Gordon doesn't take it so well and the past comes back to haunt.

The film challenges you to look at things a little bit differently. Going into the film, people have preconceived notions that Gordon is some psycho hellbent on destroying this family. Yet nothing is as it seems in The Gift and Edgerton peels away at the layers of this clever story bit by bit. Revealing what needs to be revealed exactly when it should be. He has complete control over every aspect of this film and showcases a talent that hopefully is explored further down his career.

Edgerton gives himself the Gordon role and plays it extremely fragile. The moment you see the guy you feel sorry for him. He manages to layer the performance with a hint of something sinister, this is mainly due to his eyes. I have to assume he was wearing contacts because the eyes give off a 'deadness' that just doesn't seem natural to me. One scene has him inviting Simon, played by Bateman and Robyn, played by Rebecca Hall, over to his place for dinner. Just as they arrive to his big and gorgeous place, he tells them he needs to leave for a work related emergency and will be back before they know it. Upon his return, the distrust and annoyance from Bateman is clear. Gordon's been caught in a lie, he didn't leave for a work related emergency, but he manages to craft a story in its place. Is he telling the truth? Who knows, but that dead cold stare he gives before he tells it is somewhat unnerving. He could be thinking anything; how do I kill these people? What story do I come up with? Or is it a sense of hurt and shamefulness due to his current life conditions? Edgerton gives a sad and apathetic performance that makes you question whether or not you are on this guy's side.

Bateman is typical in his films. He plays cynicism well and does so here. He has a controlling nature about him and employs it to the relationship with his wife, Hall. You can only be so nice to someone before you have to be mean and Simon wants nothing to do with Gordon, but why? Is he really that harmful? Robyn doesn't think so and this creates conflict between the two of them. Does Simon know who Gordon really is, or is he hiding something? A good dynamic to have in a film like this.

By the end of the film, despite extremely obvious wrongdoings, I knew whose side I was on, even if the film wants it to be a difficult choice. Edgerton has a bright directing career ahead of him if he can keep it up to this level. A smart thriller that doesn't treat the audience members as idiots is rare these days and The Gift is, for an eye rolling ending to this review, a gift to the audience.

Suspect's Reviews

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Meantime (1984)...some movie sites and a Wiki say 1983, but still some others stick with 1984. As it was first aired on British TV, maybe someone could let me know?

Watched my first Mike Leigh movie and while, knowing me, it shouldn't have been my cup o' tea, I really enjoyed it. I was hooked from scene one. All about a East End family living on relief who argue, show their greed (mostly the parents), and reveal their frustration about their life in general. I think that is really what this movie is about: frustration. Over their situation in life and their expectations, which more than often don't work out. I went into this expecting a downer but it's really not. The characters had me riveted. Tim Roth plays the younger son, Colin, who is supposedly slow in mind, but watching him, it's apparent he understands everything going on around him---he just doesn't speak out about it..much. His older brother, Mark (Phil Daniels) is sarcastic and mouthy to everyone, has no job just like his parents, and seemingly is jealous when their aunt offers Colin a job, but Mark thinks she has an ulterior motive. The parents lord it over Colin. Colin has a crazy skinhead friend (Gary Oldman, in one of his first roles). But, despite all this, in the end, it's fairly optimistic. I liked this movie.

I just saw this on TCM.. If others are interested, you can still get it on-demand

Unregistered User

Starry Eyes (2014)

This one totally flew under my radar until fairly recently, I think it may have been Swan who reviewed it. Overall it was better than I was expecting. I kinda knew where it was going and didn't want it to go that way but still, the acting was good and its dark with a fair amount of gore so that had me hooked.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Trouble with Harry (1955)
-

I don't care for comedies much. I didn't laugh, but it kept a smile on my face through many of the scenes. It was interesting, just not really my reason for catching up on Hitchcock films. I prefer serious mysteries or thrillers. I don't regret watching it this once.

The Trouble with Harry (1955)
-

I don't care for comedies much. I didn't laugh, but it kept a smile on my face through many of the scenes. It was interesting, just not really my reason for catching up on Hitchcock films. I prefer serious mysteries or thrillers. I don't regret watching it this once.
That's my least favourite Hitch from the 20 i've seen. I appreciated the change of pace but i also didn't find it very funny and prefer his thrillers. Wasn't bad though.

That's my least favourite Hitch from the 20 i've seen. I appreciated the change of pace but i also didn't find it very funny and prefer his thrillers. Wasn't bad though.
20 Hitch movies!?!? Guess I can stop calling myself a true fan then... I haven't seen even near that amount. Holy hell.

20 Hitch movies!?!? Guess I can stop calling myself a true fan then... I haven't seen even near that amount. Holy hell.
He's probably my favourite director, and i've probably watched 7-8 within the last year. That's not even half of his films, not seen much at all of his british films. How many have you seen?

He's probably my favourite director, and i've probably watched 7-8 within the last year. That's not even half of his films, not seen much at all of his british films. How many have you seen?
Once he was probably my favourite director and sometimes I still think of him that way. But someone like PTA may be at the top for me...

I know it's not even half of his films but it's still a lot of movies watched by one director. I don't think I have even seen that many movies by just one single director... actor, writer, whatever.

Anyways, there is a reason I said I'm not even close to your number. That's because I'm really not. I don't know have many I have seen but it's mostly his big greats... I have talked about doing a directors/actors only binge where I use an entire week or so watching only one person's films. But I never get around to doing it

Army of Darkness - 1992

This movie is the very definition of a cult classic. Plays to a very niche crowd, quotable, unique and it has an extremely loyal fan-base that has always supported the franchise. Ash has become an integral part of our pop culture to the point that he got a series built around him. Directors as unique and visionary as Sam Raimi and actors as iconic as Bruce Campbell are why I love movies.

Full review over at my site!

Once he was probably my favourite director and sometimes I still think of him that way. But someone like PTA may be at the top for me...

I know it's not even half of his films but it's still a lot of movies watched by one director. I don't think I have even seen that many movies by just one single director... actor, writer, whatever.

Anyways, there is a reason I said I'm not even close to your number. That's because I'm really not. I don't know have many I have seen but it's mostly his big greats... I have talked about doing a directors/actors only binge where I use an entire week or so watching only one person's films. But I never get around to doing it
PTA might be my favourite too, dunno i have loads of favourites haha.

I rarely end up going through with director binges even though i want to, always end up getting distracted by something else. Some of his biggest ones: Vertigo, North By Northwest, Psycho and The Birds i first watched around the ages of 7-8 thanks to my mum who is a big fan too, with the former three being favourites. And i always end up watching at least 2 new Hitch's a year, so it doesn't take that long to get to that amount.

I checked and it was 6 new ones over the last year. Was reading a bunch of Hitch essay's randomly and it got me really wanting to see The Wrong Man, so i did and i loved it; that put me in the mood for him and i watched both Rebecca and Frenzy that same month. Shadow of a Doubt and Rope were both in the 40's Hall of Fame and i randomly watched The Man Who Knew Too Much (50s) with my nephew around New Year. Also rewatched Vertigo for the Hitch Club and i'm hoping to see at least two more of his 40's films before sending my list for the Countdown.

PTA might be my favourite too, dunno i have loads of favourites haha.

I rarely end up going through with director binges even though i want to, always end up getting distracted by something else. Some of his biggest ones: Vertigo, North By Northwest, Psycho and The Birds i first watched around the ages of 7-8 thanks to my mum who is a big fan too, with the former three being favourites. And i always end up watching at least 2 new Hitch's a year, so it doesn't take that long to get to that amount.

I checked and it was 6 new ones over the last year. Was reading a bunch of Hitch essay's randomly and it got me really wanting to see The Wrong Man, so i did and i loved it; that put me in the mood for him and i watched both Rebecca and Frenzy that same month. Shadow of a Doubt and Rope were both in the 40's Hall of Fame and i randomly watched The Man Who Knew Too Much (50s) with my nephew around New Year. Also rewatched Vertigo for the Hitch Club and i'm hoping to see at least two more of his 40's films before sending my list for the Countdown.
That's awesome man. Great mum you have there too. anyways, yeah, I got loads of favourites too. The only reason I try and have some specific ones picked is so I can answer the classic questions about favourites when asked. that's also the only reason I got NCFOM as my all time favourite. I rewatched around the time when I joined this forum and loved it more than ever. So I picked it as my profile pic and as my number one film and it has kind of just stuck with me and all this have pretty much made it my genuine favourite because I keep telling myself and everybody it is. So I guess it is then.

But in connection to the Hitch stuff I really doesn't even have any excuses or real reasons not to watch more of him. As I said he might just be my favourite director. I really like or mostly LOVE all I see by him. I have The Masterpiece Collection on Blu-ray and there are many films in there I still haven't seen. I could just pick one and push it in the machine. I even have some of his movies ready to stream directly on my tv. I don't even have to get up and do anything. STILL I haven't seen all that many by the master of suspense. Shame o me.

I guess the 40s countdown is the perfect opportunity for me to see a good handful of Hitch films.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

OMG so glad I've never seen this before, and so glad I'll never see it again. Infact it was so bad I even forgot what it was called because I changed the name to Alba's Butt cam. Lovely butt but c'mon; the shallows pulls this one as well. What is it about killer sharks and women's bums...

There you go, lads - you wont need to see the movie now. Dont say I never did anything for you

The shark high on cocaine was pretty funny, though.