1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Pursued

I watched this a couple weeks before the Hall of Fame started, when I randomly picked it off the top 100 westerns list. My feelings toward it haven't changed.

Possible Spoilers Ahead
I like the story, but the way it's told seems a bit odd. I understand what the killer's motivation is, but I don't totally buy into it. Besides trying to murder an innocent kid, Grant isn't much of a villain. It's not as if he's an obvious bad guy who goes around terrorizing people. It just seems strange that he would have this mission. Still, the early scene in which he takes a shot at a young Jeb is a great one, and it sets a sinister tone for the movie. The way that Thor's feelings changed back and forth also struck me as odd. There's other little things as well, but there's also a few great scenes. Robert Mitchum puts forth a pretty interesting performance. He does come off as a little out of it, but I look at him as a haunted man who's all alone in the world with nothing to lose. It may very well be a fine restrained performance, although I'm not sure. My favorite performances came from the mother and the brother. The mother was a good portrait of a strong woman with a secret, while the brother did well to come off as a less than stellar guy, even though he didn't cement his character until his last moments. I thought all of the performances were pretty good, with the exception of the three children. The movie looks good and has a good musical score. I didn't feel that any part of the movie was exceptional or memorable, but it's a good movie that I enjoy watching.

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
solid review, cricket, per usual.

You've got one left, Camo has 2, I feel like a serious slacker -- I got five. Pursued, Rope, Murderers Among Us, The Suspect (gonna rewatch before doing my review) and I'm gonna try to watch Waterloo Bridge this weekend.

I think I'm exactly halfway through. I plan to watch Fantasia and/or Shadow of a Doubt today. I don't have a copy of Waterloo Bridge or How Green Was My Valley yet, but that's because I completely forgot to look for them haha.

I may only have three left but I am five pages behind on tagging. I will get on that today at some point.

Bookmark

All updated again. Tagging is a bit of a pain but it does seem to keep people thinking about where they are and keeps the conversation going. Good job everyone. This is the most active HOF to date I think.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Got eight left, might be nocking off foxes in a bit, though. We've been at this for what, a month? Seems like we're on track for the most part. At this rate you could start now, watch two movies per week and still be done with two weeks to spare. I don't see no reason to be feeling like you're slacking off, Ed

Fantasia
(1940)
Dir. Samuel Armstrong, James Algar, Ben Sharpsteen, et al.
Starring: Leopold Stokowski, Deems Taylor, The Philadelphia Orchestra

As a child, I only really liked the segments that had more of a story to them, but this time through I was able to appreciate the other parts much more. I do think the film might be a little too long though. After the Olympus segment (“The Pastoral Symphony”), I had to turn it off for awhile and take a break. I would've taken one during the Intermission if I knew I wasn't going to be able to make it through the rest of the film in one sitting, but alas, I didn't have the foresight to do that.

Classical music enthusiasts probably adore this film, but I don't imagine that many children today would have the patience for the slower, more abstract and artistic episodes, or that they're care much for the interludes with the orchestra at all. Parts of the film are really beautiful, and overall it has a much more sophisticated feel than many other Disney films, but in the end it's a very uneven film.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantasia.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	28042  

Bookmark

All updated again. Tagging is a bit of a pain but it does seem to keep people thinking about where they are and keeps the conversation going. Good job everyone. This is the most active HOF to date I think.
Yup, it's some work to keep the review tags/links up...but a big for doing it for us!

I think the links are great, I use them to read all the reviews after I've watched a movie and to go back and to reread certain reviews. It's a huge pain looking through a 30 page plus thread for a review from a month ago.

And it does keep a visual track of what the members are doing so it keeps things humming.

If someone in the future host an Hof and needs help with the tags/links I would be happy to help. I see that Camo is doing them for Raul in the Animation Hof which is cool

Sean you missed this from me -The Little Foxes

And you have me marked as 6 even though it should be 7: eight now with The Little Foxes one.
Nuts, I will fix later. That Little Foxes link is somewhere because I remember doing it. Hopefully, I only screwed up that one.

Sean you missed this from me -The Little Foxes

And you have me marked as 6 even though it should be 7: eight now with The Little Foxes one.
Okay, have you at eight. Cricket I have you at 9, is that correct?

Apparently Laura is out guys. Our quest for a pure drama free HOF continues. Mofo should come with sensitivity training.

Okay, have you at eight. Cricket I have you at 9, is that correct?
Yep, I have to watch Shadow of a Doubt, won't rewatch my own, and saw Laura recently as well.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Apparently Laura is out guys. Our quest for a pure drama free HOF continues. Mofo should come with sensitivity training.
Aww, too bad. From what I heard it sounded like most here liked it and thought it to be a good movie. I think I'll watch it anyway, if nothing else I still need possible entries for the 40's top 100. Was that to come after the Sci-fi top 100, or was there something between those?