Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Night Before

I wasn't expecting much when I watched this movie, I do like Joesph Gordon-Levitt and Anthony Mackie so I took the risk. I cannot say that hated it bur at the same time I couldn't say I liked it either. It was a bit of a nothing movie where nothing really happens at all, there were a couple of times a had a chuckle but over all didn't laugh out loud. In actual fact someone that played a good role was Michael Shannon as Mr Green and for some reason I really dont like Mindy Kaling I dont like her comedy and her acting is garbage at best.

So i cannot really rate this because it is sort of a nothing movie that I didn't hate.

Zootopia (2016)

Disney has made one of their best movies with this one. The city of Zootopia is quite an achievement, populated by animals that are filled with unique characteristics and personalities. The design of the city is nothing short of amazing as well, meticulously created to fit the different types of animals that live within it.

The main character, Judy Hopps, is the perfect protagonist, a likable Police Bunny that is trying to solve the mystery of disappearing animals within the city. She eventually teams up with a con-artist fox named Nick Wilde and they make a great team as they go around Zootopia trying to solve the mystery.

The plot on the surface appears to be a basic whodunnit? mystery, but the thing that makes this unique is that it's never been done quite like this—in a family-friendly movie with anthropomorphic animals with all of the Disney charm. The film has its funny bits, especially the DMV Sloth scene. Even though it was spoiled in the trailer, it's still an amazingly hilarious scene. This movie doesn't try to make you laugh the entire time though, as it tackles issues that is also relevant in real life, the biggest one being race and equality. For a family movie it handles these issues very well, making you take notice while not being too heavy-handed in its message.

I also have to say that this has one of my favorite endings to a movie in recent memory. It was hilarious and was such a perfect way to end the movie.

I really do think that this is one of the best Disney movies of the 2000s, and has become one of my favorite animated films in general. It's also convinced me that the Disney resurgence is real, and this may just be the best one yet.

I have to return some videotapes...
The World's End (2013) - Edgar Wright

Five friends who reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from twenty years earlier unwittingly become humanity's only hope for survival. This was such a mistake. I am a huge fan of the first two films of the Cornetto trilogy, but this was really a missed opportunity to end the trilogy off on a high-note. Simon Pegg is good in the film along with most of the cast is pretty good, Nick Frost could have been used a little more and I didn't really feel their friendship as much as I did in the previous films. I don't hate the idea to this movie as much as the execution of how it all is laid out in the end is poor. The script is a mess, aside from the comedy, which is at it's weakest, but still laugh out loud funny at times. The rest of it is pretty bad and the direction of a lot of this misses the mark for me. The scenes don't flow well and it feels to much like we are checking boxes, instead of having more of a flow. The last 15 minutes are garbage and leaves a lot to be desired; it feels like they had no idea how to end it. The characters aren't really interesting at all except for Gary King, but even he is a bit of a stretch since I've seen this character over and over again through numerous other films. Overall, it's so damn disappointing especially coming from a director who before this viewing has made some really good films.

The Last Days of Disco (1998)

I really enjoyed Whit Stillman's Metropolitan, so I hope this is just as good.
IT IS! Stillman has such a cool style.

Deadpool (2016)

I finally got around to seeing Deadpool.

I am suffering superhero fatigue. Don't get me wrong, I like the superhero movies that crack the mould a little, such as Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy or the Nolan/ Burton iterations of Batman. But I dislike the standard fare. I particularly dislike the over-blown, CGI-laden third acts that just bore me to tears; and the absence of any real tension or threat given that the stakes are always too high for their to be any possibility of failure... The world is not going to end, the actor who is signed into a ten movie deal is not going to die.

Deadpool was thankfully restrained, probably due to its limited budget. It is also one of the better comedies I have seen over the last couple of years. Essentially I found it a lot of fun; particularly the more self-referential and fourth-wall breaking elements. However, Mark Kermode as part of a positive review described that there is a certain smugness to it and a corporate sense of anarchy, which I entirely agree with. Overall, it is not quite as subversive as it likes to think it is.

Spectre (2015)

Spectre had lots of classic Bond action, and Daniel Craig was great as always, however the storyline never really hooked me due to a fairly weak script. It's better than Quantum of Solace, though that's not saying much.

Wendy and Lucy (2008)

Michelle Williams plays Wendy, a young woman traveling with her dog, Lucy, from Indiana to Alaska to try and start a new life. She has very limited money, and after breaking down in a dismal Oregon town, she loses Lucy. She spends the rest of the movie looking for her dog and trying to get her car fixed, in order to continue on their journey. At about 80 minutes long, there's not a whole lot to the movie. I thought it was a very good watch, but it seemed to me to be a movie with very limited potential.

Le Cercle Rouge - 9/10

3.5/5 (how do I get that little graphic up?)
[*rating]NUMBER OUT OF 5 HERE[*/rating]

Without the *

So yours would be [*rating]3.5[*/rating]

Take away the asterisks, and...

The VVitch directed by Robert Eggers -

This was probably over hyped for me, almost everything I'd ever read about it was giving it nothing but the utmost praise for being, "the new standard for modern horror films" or "possibly the most atmospheric horror film I've ever experienced". And while I can agree with those points in some small way, I disagree for the most part. The Witch isn't the newest look into the horror genre, and it isn't the most breathtaking and intense movie ever made. Now I know I'm starting to sound really negative, but it's just a really dang good movie, it pretty much every aspect. It has a great air of tension that sits through the whole movie, and I give the director props for not using those moments of silence to throw something scary in our face. The atmosphere does exist, and it does bring a sense of dread, but I don't think it's a groundbreaking as everyone says. The writing, which very accurately capture the lore and speech of the time, and acting, especially from the children, do wonders to help drive forward a somewhat scattered, but undeniably gripping story. It's pretty terrifying, really gross, and very well made film. I think in the end what keeps it from getting what would be a well deserved 4 and 1/2 stars, is towards the end, it kinda jumps the shark. And while the more I think about it, the more it grows on me, it comes out of left field, and I do think it could've been handled in a different manner. I wouldn't recommend this movie to many people, I'm not sure what tastes it would apply to, and even for horror fans it might not click. But for me it did, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Welcome to the human race...
I am F@CKIN DYING to see this one for those exact reasons. From the first detailed reviews I saw of it, here. Wish I could remember which review threads so I can give proper respect. . . .
Here is my review.

I guess I don't "get" that Lobster movie, because I didn't like it but everybody seems to be giving high scores.
You got a write-up somewhere?

Last movie I watched...

Take Shelter -

Predestination (2014) - The Spierig Brothers

- This flick is f*cked-up and it completely blow my mind on so many level... I watch the ending 3 time for finally understand the entire plot and it's awesome. Very intelligent and philosophical movie with a great entertaining plot and nice acting from Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook. Dialogues between the two are highly interesting and they got a great onscreen chemistry. The direction was very good (even though I didn't know them before this flick). Without giving any spoiler let say that last 35min are totally twisted and mind-blowing and it's the reason why the movie is probably going to be a new favorite of mine. Definitely a movie that people that like thinking are going to appreciate.
-

Welcome to the human race...
I thought Predestination, while promising, was ultimately rather middling and (after a time) got a bit too predictable to be fully enjoyable. It was fairly well-made, but it telegraphed its biggest twists way too clearly for my liking.

Two Night Stand

Pretty decent indie flick by a writer with 1 feature credit and a director with 1 feature credit.
Starring miles teller (mr fantastic/whiplash) and a girl Analeigh Tipton.

Apparently tipton guest starred on tv's limitless but she didn't stand out to me.
she was cute and charming in this.

Secretary
a 2002 film with maggie gyll and james spader

Get this.. a BDSM film.. about a dominating boss.. named Mr. GREY
Seriously that can't be a coincidence.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -

Sorry, MV.
Has to be joke.

There's no way in hell there's is not one single little minor redeeming quality about that film. No way in hell.