Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Since you guys are discussing Love & Mercy again, is there any focus on Brian's brothers and their deaths and how they effected Brian? (especially Dennis, who drowned?)
Also, any mention of Manson & his association with Dennis & the Beach Boys?
They do mention his brother dying at the beginning... and you know, they really should have brought it up again somehow.

Not my kind of humor, but okay.
Walk Hard (2007) was a comedy spoof of the many Rock & Roll bio-pics that are out there, and it referenced the lives of many famous singers. I thought a lot of it was funny, but some of the humor was vulgar as well (which I didn't like). I think it could have been a bigger hit if tweaked in the direction of simply lampooning musical bio-pics, and steering away from some of the "harder" humor.

Although I must say John C. Reilly is one talented entertainer - he's excelled in comedy and drama, and he's got a beautiful singing voice.

You're right about that, and I had almost forgot. It's like the director forget to put that into the story.
I just wondered, because Dennis's death was unexpected and tragic (and a bit ironic - someone drowning who sang about the beach & surfing). Carl's death, while no less tragic, was due to lung cancer from cigarette smoking. I've never really heard how his brothers' deaths effected Brian - did they push him further over the edge... or help jolt him back into reality?

I always wondered about the Manson connection because (according to Wiki):
In December 1968, the Beach Boys released the Manson-composed "Never Learn Not to Love" as a single. Manson's involvement was omitted while Dennis was officially credited as the song's sole author.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Director: Peter Weir
Writers: Patrick O'Brian(novels), Peter Weir(screenplay)
Cast: Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, Billy Boyd
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama

In 1805 during the Napoleonic Wars, a legendary British Captain known for his boldness pursues a much more powerful French war ship in the stormy seas around South America.

What a great film! This is based on two novels by Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander and The Far Side of the World, hence the unwieldy title of the film.

Looking at the poster with the ship, raging sea and Russell Crowe one might not guess that this is a film about comradely, friendship and duty...all set aboard a British sailing ship the H.M.S. Surprise. It's the characters and how they interact and show us life abroad ship that makes this film very special. Yes it does have some thrilling moments, many in fact. Yes there's plenty of action and good old ship broadsides with roaring canon blast and shards of ship boards a-flying. But this film has something more, heart and that makes it much better than the average sailing ship movie.

Director Peter Weir went to great lengths to create authenticity and believability in his film. He chose to make a very personal story and the viewer gets a feeling of what it would be like to live, work and fight in the British Navy circa 1805.

The director had his cameramen fly to the replica of Captain James Cook's ship, HMS Endeavour as it was undertaking a historic sailing voyage around the globe. The footage of the stormy seas as the ship sails around the Horn of South America are real.

The first movie to ever film on the Galapagos Islands, where a scene in the movie takes place.

Russell Crowe who's often criticized as an actor, does a splendid job here. He's personable, amicable and genuine and he extrudes the idea of a proper British Naval officer. The onboard ship's naturalistic and surgeon, played by Paul Bettley, gives a sense of wonderment to the film. He is scientifically inquisitive and desperately wants to visit the Galapagos islands to discover new species....this brings the two men at odds and adds a good subplot to the already emotion packed film. The naturalistic gives us a window onto the great British naturalist Charles Darwin. I was reminded of his legendary visit to the Galapagos aboard the HMS Beagle.

Capt.Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and Dr. Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany) on board the HMS Surprise.

The film was Academy nominated for 10 awards including Best Picture and Best Director. It won 2 Academy Awards including Best Cinematography.

Realistic, tou
ching, exciting and very well done!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	weir+master+and+commander+(2).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	66893  

I think I saw this years back but don't remember anything.

I've been meaning to give it a rewatch, but the mixed reactions and such have thrown me off. I definitely will get to it now!

I think the title would have put me off, it just sounds like one of those CG Hollywood flicks, it's not. Peter Weir really did amazing job on this. There's a real professional feel to the film making.

Beautiful review, Rules!
And yes, what makes this film is the professionalism of the film-making: the realism, the visuals, the attention to historic detail, the camera work and the epic feel to it. But I think you captured what truly makes this film great - the heart. It's got heart - you laugh, you cry and you feel for the men as each sacrifices their own goals for the other. I don't mean to make a pun, but this film "flows" nicely as each subplot connects with and leads into the advancement of the story.

This is a really goofy detail, but when I first saw the movie, I swore the guy playing the cook (actor David Threlfall) was Eric Idle (of Monty Python), until he spoke because his voice was completely different. But even watching it the other day I thought again how the cook looked like Eric Idle. But then, another nice thing about the film is it really didn't have any big names (except for Crowe) and, much of the time, hidden gems like this one are not the star-studded spectacles.

Thanks Captain, and a big thanks for telling me about it.

Believe this or not, when I saw the cook I thought he looked familiar too and an old Monty Python skit came to mind. He did look like Eric Idle in costume.

Questions seeing how you watched this 4 times.
WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
At the end we learn that the French surgeon who had handed over the sword of surrender to Capt Aubrey, was an impostor as the Naturalist said the French surgeon had been dead for awhile. But nothing seemed to come from it. Did I miss something? Or was that a open ending for a sequel?

Thanks Captain, and a big thanks for telling me about it.

Believe this or not, when I saw the cook I thought he looked familiar too and an old Monty Python skit came to mind. He did look like Eric Idle in costume.

Questions seeing how you watched this 4 times.
At the end we learn that the French surgeon who had handed over the sword of surrender to Capt Aubrey, was an impostor as the Naturalist said the French surgeon had been dead for awhile. But nothing seemed to come from it. Did I miss something? Or was that a open ending for a sequel?
The ending was most likely meant to leave an opening for a sequel...

The implication was that the French Doctor who surrendered the Captain's sword to Aubrey was actually the Captain of the Acheron (while the dead patient on the table, assumed by Aubrey to be the Captain, could have been any member of the French crew that had been killed in the battle, over which they threw the Captain's coat to stage the scene that the French Captain had died).

When Aubrey figures out that the Captain of the Acheron may still be alive and it was he who was likely posing as the ship's Doctor (since the real Dr. died months ago), Aubrey then realizes that his crew members from the HMS Surprise now manning the Acheron are in danger as there were many French survivors who were now prisoners and that they may still have leadership that can re-take the Acheron if the Captain is still alive. (Plus, if the Captain was posing as a doctor, and medical aid with all the wounded was in need aboard the Acheron, he'd likely have free access throughout the ship and means of freeing his countrymen to form an uprising.)

So Captain Jack decides to turn the Surprise around and go back after the Acheron to make sure his former Ex-O (Pullings) and crew are not subject to a revolt by the French prisoners and a re-taking of the ship by the French Captain. The movie shows Aubrey issuing orders to reverse course to pursue the Acheron (as his Doctor friend displays obvious disappointment) and then Aubrey reassures him that since the Doctor's bird of the Galapagos is flightless, that it's "not going anywhere" (inferring he'll have the rest of his life to go back someday, possibly even on the next return trip).

So the film reached a satisfying conclusion, but then threw in this little promise of more adventure to come (to the poor Doctor's disdain). But, at least they'd have music to sail by!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
excellent review for Commander. Like so many I was hesitant about this one and caught bits and pieces on cable and grew more and more intrigued until finally watching it completely and OH SO happy i did!

And I haven't seen Where Eagles Dare since I was a little kid. Really need to locate and rewatch that one. Thanks for posting about it and strengthening that urge to rewatch

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Master and Commander yesterday, and I didn't love it as much as you did. I thought the first half hour was kind of slow, but it got better as it went along. Overall, this movie was just okay fro me. The movie looks beautiful, but story just didn't hold my attention very well.

However, I thought Russell Crowe sounded a lot like Ewan McGregor.

I watched Master and Commander yesterday, and I didn't love it as much as you did. I thought the first half hour was kind of slow, but it got better as it went along. Overall, this movie was just okay fro me. The movie looks beautiful, but story just didn't hold my attention very well.

However, I thought Russell Crowe sounded a lot like Ewan McGregor.
Sorry, GB. I thought you might like it more because, despite some of the violence and some of the less-comfortable parts, it's quite touching.

I can't picture Ewan McGregor's voice right now, but Russell Crowe did do a good job at dictation. Previously I had refereed to him as Mr Mumbles. I'm now officially a fan of director Peter Weir.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sorry, GB. I thought you might like it more because, despite some of the violence and some of the less-comfortable parts, it's quite touching.

The violence wasn't too bad, but the movie was just was okay for me. I just didn't love it like most people seem to.