Rodent's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
While it doesn't appear that I've got much support (except from Cap) I've got to say that I really rather liked Godzilla. As a human drama it was definitely found wanting, but as a monster movie I thought it was pretty good.

Review #242, Movie #313

Year Of Release

Director/s
Jared Hess

Producer/s
Jeremy Coon, Chris Wyatt, Sean C Covel, Jory Weitz

Writer/s
Jared Hess, Jerusha Hess

Cast
Jon Heder, Jon Gries, Efren Ramirez, Aaron Ruell and Tina Majorino

Notes And Trivia
The name Napoleon Dynamite apparently came to writer Hess by coincidence when he met a homeless man who was using the name.
It was only two days before filming was due to finish, that a young extra on the movie mentioned to Hess that the name was made up by Elvis Costello in an album in 1986.
Hess has admitted he feels a little embarrassed by the situation, and that he had no idea it was Costello’s property. Costello however hasn’t taken any sort of legal action for the use of his property.

The movie is set in the 2003-2004 school year in Idaho, but many people have taken note of a number of things that appear to be of 1980s and 1990s styles, for instance the usage of VHS and Walkman tape players, particular songs heard throughout, certain vehicles, dial-up internet and certain fashions like hair in sideways ponytails and Napoleon’s Moon Boots.

The shooting of the cow scene with the school bus full of kids watching, happened in real life to director Jared Hess when he was a child.

Jon Heder, who plays Napoleon and Efren Ramirez who plays Pedro, both have identical twins.

Many people claim Jon Gries is vegetarian, and the scenes where he eats steak and spits it out made people believe it even more. The real reason he was spitting it out is that it hadn’t been cooked properly and tasted horrible. Gries isn’t vegetarian.

The now famous dance scene at the end was choreographed by Tina Majorino. She used dance moves from Michael Jackson to Soul Train.

Napoleon Dynamite is also a remake of sorts. The original short was made by Jared Hess and Jon Heder back in 2002… almost everything that featured in the short made it into this movie too.

If you watch closely, none of the main characters wear footwear with laces.

Synopsis:
Napoleon Dynamite is a loser. Not even a loveable one either. He’s also a nerd, who isn’t very clever.
He’s bullied by everyone, has no friends, has a very large chip on his shoulder and is always trying to prove a point or put down those who actually take an interest in him.

Enter Pablo, the new kid.
Pablo is pretty similar to Napoleon, but seems a little more numb when it comes to a personality… and Pablo decides to run for Class President…

… with Napoleon in his corner.

Review:
Simply, I love this movie. It’s another one that missed out on my recent Top 100, but that’ll be rectified next year when I redo it.

When I was at school, I knew a guy who was exactly like Napoleon who we called “Veador”, and I actually looked it up to see if the movie was made by anyone I knew back then. It’s that close.

What we have is an extremely clever and realistic script that evolves round one of the most realistic and well-rounded lead characters I’ve seen in a long, long time.
The whole movie simply revolves around Napoleon and his daily hijinks, whether it be dragging a plastic toy behind the bus using fishing-wire, or playing Swing Ball by himself.
What I mean is, the movie has no real direction exactly… there’s no, well, destination. It’s simply a series of connected skits with Heder, and occasionally Pablo, at the centre of it all.
It’s only in the third act when Pablo and Napoleon decide to go for Class President that there’s any real destination for the lead characters, including Majorino’s character Deb.

Each scene however, if you do get the humour, has a number of laughs and little nods to real life that are not just recognisable to most, but almost bring about a feeling of nostalgia.
The whole humour side of it is also majorly downplayed throughout. There’s no whacky zany comedy going on, it’s all held back and comes across like a sort of situational comedy.

This movie is a bit like The Big Lebowski… you either get it, or you don’t.

This movie really revolves around characters and acting.
We have Jon Heder as Napoleon, our annoying nerd, dweeb loser. Heder nails this role and rightly so got an award for best breakthrough role.
Efren Ramirez plays Pablo, our almost emotionless counterpart for Heder. Efren also nails his role, though not seen as much as Heder.
Tina Majorino plays Deb, who at one point becomes a kind of love triangle between our two main guys. I haven’t seen anything from Majorino since Waterworld, but here she’s pretty likeable.

Jon Gries backs them up as Uncle Rico, the total loser ex-Footballer who thinks he’s God’s Gift to everything. Gries is fantastic, and has a number of little quirks to the way he plays what could have been just a generic ass of a character.

Aaron Ruell plays Kip, Napoleon’s Brother. Ruell is also at his best as a kind of emotionless loser.

Backup comes from Haylie Duff, Emily Kennard… and Diedrich Bader makes a brilliant show as Rex.

All in all, I can’t say much more about this movie apart from, well, it exists.
You have to sit and watch it though, and if you “get” it, you’ll see exactly why I love its humour and real life take on real life subjects.
A Cult Classic in the true sense of the phrase.

My Rating: 92%

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've only seen Napoleon Dynamite the one time, not long after its release. So that's at least 10 years since I've seen it. I remember pretty much nothing about it except for one thing; I hated it! All I remember is that it really p*ssed me off. I wanted the film to have a face just so I could punch it!

I remember it coming out at pretty much the exact same time as Garden State with reviews and film mags packaging them together as this pair of great indie comedy-dramas. Having loved Garden State I then couldn't have been anymore disappointed with Mr Dynamite.

It's a film that I should, and likely will revisit someday to give it another chance though

Been a few years since watching Dynamite. I have seen it two or three times though and I think it is hilarious. From the obvious things like the dance, Liger, and Wolverine hunting to the more subtle like Uncle Rico's football poses and the ramp jump. I think the movie is gold.

Comedies like Napoleon Dynamite are the main reason why I think your objective system is inapplicable to some types of movies. Everything that makes you like it made me hate it. It feels like a bad SNL episode. It's a series of vaguely related skits with no real purpose or payoff. If the jokes aren't funny to you, it's a waste of time.

Comedies like Napoleon Dynamite are the main reason why I think your objective system is inapplicable to some types of movies. Everything that makes you like it made me hate it. It feels like a bad SNL episode. It's a series of vaguely related skits with no real purpose or payoff. If the jokes aren't funny to you, it's a waste of time.

But the same can be said about any movie and movie critic.

You could rate Film X at
because you thought it was funny, or touching, or emotional, or whatever, based on whatever criteria you personally use... but I may not find it any of those things, which means the
you gave it is totally pointless.

Another example is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Revered by many, and will more than likely top the MoFo 1960s list.

I think it's overrated... if anything, on a personal level, I think 2001 is total garbage and would rate it
Does that mean it really is crap? Of course not, so, just like all my other ratings, although I try to keep as neutral as I can, my ratings are my ratings, and don't exactly represent a general vote.

This topic is interesting

I love Napoleon Dynamite! It was one of those "it" movies for awhile that rarely gets mentioned anymore. I still think it's hilarious. I used to quote the movie all the time. Like you basically said in your review, either the humor clicks for you or it doesn't, making it a very love it or hate it type of film. I tried watching the short-lived animated series that aired awhile back but the magic didn't translate to that format. Since Heder and Hess's careers seem to be on fumes nowadays, I'd love to see them make a sequel. I'm sure it would be terrible, but it'd be fun to revisit these characters.

Review #243, Movie #314

Year Of Release

Director/s
Gavin O’Connor

Producer/s
Gavin O’Connor, Greg O’Connor

Writer/s
Gavin O’Connor, Anthony Tambakis, Cliff Dorfman
Music
Mark Isham

Cast
Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy, Jennifer Morrison, Kevin Dunn, Franks Grillo, Erik Apple, Kurt Angle
With Nick Nolte

Synopsis:
Two Brothers Brendan and Tommy, were raised by a sick Mother, and an alcoholic, abusive Father.
After their Mother died, Tommy joined the Marines and bottled up years of rage and torturously painful memories… and Brendan became a Physics Teacher and raised a family of his own, vowing never to allow his own family to come to ruin in the way his own Father allowed years ago.

Both Boys have another former life though… their Father also trained them to wrestle, box and fight.
He trained them so well in fact, that both of them could have been contenders…

… and a big tournament is around the corner… with Brendan’s motives toward saving his family from eviction and bankruptcy, and Tommy’s motives are, well, Tommy’s motives, and Tommy’s recent past, are yet to be revealed.

Review:

What… a… movie…

This is by far one of the strongest films of the 2010s… even one of the strongest since the Millennium. Thinking about it… of the past 20 years.

It’s odd this, but a movie based on what it is, fighting and MMA, shouldn’t be this good.

The filmmakers have delicately balanced a story and a genuinely touching and realistic backdrop into what could have been a generic Octagon Battler between two Brothers, and then twisted the whole thing into an inspirational, brutal, touching, even heart-wrenching journey of two (sometimes three) men with an incredibly troubled past, all trying to either forget or make amends for what they have all been through over the years.

I said brutal a moment ago. It’s not just the fighting side of things, and we do see some incredible fight scenes, but there’s a huge chunk of brutality that comes from the heartfelt and, well, heavy hitting story and emotions seen throughout.

It’s a very well crafted story containing everything from drama to action that never fails to impress with every turn it takes.

The acting is also bang on.
I’ll start with Tom Hardy… Hardy isn’t the main role here… he’s more a joint lead that kinda takes a slight backseat to Edgerton. Hardy though… wow.
He goes from a genuinely damaged individual, constantly brooding, to a snarling lump of muscle with bloodshot eyes and foam spitting from his mouth from scene to scene.
Hardy holds the quieter scenes fantastically with his natural ability to portray internal pain… and when the going gets rough in the fights, he then smashes audience expectations and becomes a genuinely scary psychopath, but a psychopath with a purpose.

Joel Edgerton is our main guy as Brendan. Another wow.
I have never seen an actor go from Mr Nice Guy to a genuinely thinking and mentally deep fighter as intensely as Edgerton. This isn’t just Joel’s best role to date, it’s one of the most touching and emotionally involved roles I’ve ever seen from him.
Edgerton has proven he has the chops to be a leading man with this film, and his acting while in the Octagon, covered in blood and bruises, actually had me in tears more than once.

The rest of the cast are just really backup roles. Kevin Dunn is brilliant though, especially when he’s leaping around his living room while watching the fights on TV.

However… Nolte… massively charismatic. It’s not often I’ve seen Nolte actually act. He’s normally the tough grizzly guy.
Here though, Nolte also had me in tears. He is immensely powerful in his supporting role of the ex-alcoholic Born-Again-Christian, who is trying his best to make up with his damaged Sons.
Nolte rocks this movie. He’s perfect.

It’s the third act that the fight side of things really comes together. There are a few skirmishes with Edgerton in the second act though too.

The third act of this movie had my heart pounding and my hands shaking from start to end.
At one point I actually shouted “yes!” when certain things happen in the Octagon.
The choreography of this movie is held in reality so tightly, and the awesome, awesome writing and acting leading up to it, makes the finale/s of this genuine story incredibly exciting.

The other good thing with the third act, is once it starts, it doesn’t ever let up or go quiet half way through.

There’s also a brilliantly underplayed score and soundtrack throughout that gets the heart going when certain incidents are occurring, or are about to occur.

All in all, I cried, I screamed, I felt.
This movie, being based on what it is, is an absolute gem. Fine acting, and I really mean fine, great story, realistic backdrop and character research from the writers.
This film is inspirational.
My Rating: The magical 101%

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Warrior is a fantastic movie. I wen the cinema twice to see it and i also own the movie on dvd. It made my top 100 favourites aswell so i agree with everything you said.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

That's a great review, Rodent. I can feel your thoughts and feelings coming through my screen here... Brillant writing.

And not only that, you are so right. This film is just great. I agree with everything you say. A powerful and touching film that really shouldn't be as good as it is. But thankfully it exceeded every one of my expectations.

Once again, a well-written and well-done review!

Rodent, you probably remember Masterman; Warrior was his favorite movie and that's why I watched it. I could not believe how much I loved it. It's full of cliches but it doesn't matter. It's one of the most emotional movies I've ever seen, and I was thoroughly involved for its duration. Whenever we get to a 2010's countdown, it'll be a contender for my top spot.

Great review, have you seen it before?

I saw it on TV a couple times and had it recorded on the DVR, but I got hold of a DVD today and got to see the whole thing without adverts and bits cut out.

Glad my review works though, I was worried people would say I was harping about it too much.
It's really hard to find any fault with it, which is why it gets the 101%.