The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I was reading back through all the posts, and it seems to me it is almost like most animation is made with children in mind instead of adults. Hmmmm

I was reading back through all the posts, and it seems to me it is almost like most animation is made with children in mind instead of adults. Hmmmm
I have no idea what gave you that impression...

6. Finding Nemo - Voting Stats

Total Points: 559
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
37 Votes: Two 1st Place (25 pts. each), Two 2nd Place (24 pts. each), Two 3rd Place (23 pts. each), Four 5th Place (21 pts. each), Four 6th Place (20 pts. each), Three 7th Place (19 pts. each), Two 8th Place (18 pts. each), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), 12th Place (14 pts.), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each), 15th Place (11 pts.), Two 16th Place (10 pts. each), Two 17th Place (9 pts. each), 18th Place (8 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), Two 20th Place (6 pts. each), Two 21st Place (5 pts. each), Two 25th Place (1 pt. each)

Finding Nemo is a great animated flick. A lot of fun, but I only had it at #21.

As I have said before it was so hard to fit in all these great flicks, so yeah it probably got pushed down a bit. But I do love it.

Finding Nemo is quite an achievement visually. I remember seeing it in the theater and being blown away by just how beautiful it was. It's also a very funny movie and I adore many of its characters.

That said, there just seems to be something sort of lacking about it overall (I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly, though) when compared to Pixar's other work and it was never in consideration for my ballot.

Finding Nemo was my number sixteen. I'm not sure now if that's too high or too low, I liked it an awful lot when it came out, and I especially respect the idea about a father trying to rescue his son, the art is fantastic, great use of colours, and the whole thing is a good adventure story with its heart in the right place. I think parts towards the end get a little tedious, and it's been a while since I have watched it, but it's a very good film.

1. Rango
  2. Fantastic Mr. Fox
  3. Waking Life
  4. Monsters, Inc.
  5. My Neighbor Totoro
  6. The Wrong Trousers
  7. Chicken Run
  8. Tale of Tales
  9. Toy Story 2
  10. Tango
  11. ---
  12. ---
  13. Duck Amuck
  14. Fantastic Planet
  15. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
  16. Finding Nemo
  17. Princess Mononoke
  18. The Iron Giant
  19. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  20. Alice in Wonderland
  21. Fantasia
  22. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  23. How to Train Your Dragon
  24. Tarzan
  25. Kung Fu Panda 2

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Finding Nemo was my NUMBER 2. It is my favorite Pixar film of all time and it is also in my top 50 of all time. What I most enjoy about it is the look of the film. A lot of gifted animators put a lot into making the characters and the setting of the film. The ocean life is made to look breathtaking, which is stunning for an animated film. It makes the ocean come to life. It makes me actually want to go to Austrailia to see the reefs. When I went snorkeling in Hawaii I saw a lot of sealife and I even saw a fish that looked just like Nemo! It was awesome.

Andrew Stanton, the films director, is really really talented here. He creates a story that is both heartwarming and humorous. It has the perfect blend of everything that you would want in an animated film. He is ultra talented, and I look forward to the rest of his work. Glad to see that he still has a bother film coming up here shortly.

I love all the characters, and of course Crush the turtle may be the coolest of them all. He's been rocking my avatar for quite sometime now. I think I can connect to the films theme, with the father and son relationship. With my Dad passing away five years ago, it makes it very personal to me the bond that Nemo and Marlin have created. It even saddens me to see Marlin on his journey to find his son Nemo, but when they reconnect, it is such a great feeling.

This was the film that got me into animation as an adult. It proved to me that even as an adult you can still enjoy animation by looking into the story and the themes that are offered. I'm not sure how this whole sequel will pan out, I actually think it should be left alone. It's fine as a standalone story, I think the sequel will be taking it too far.

Overall, it's an ultra memorable film for me and it is one that will be staying up high on my list of favorites. Animation has never appealed to me more.

I only had two Pixar films on my list and Finding Nemo wasn't one of them, but it might be my third favorite Pixar film (it's hard to choose). It's just such an extremely solid film. It's an adventurous spectacle that provides a wonderful visual experience, plenty of laughs, a few heartbreaking bumps along the way (just like every good family picture) and a warm and positive feeling in the end. I don't mind its high placement at all.

Yep.

Votes for Anastasia: 7th Place (19 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each)

Votes for The Triplets of Belleville: 4th Place (22 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), Two 25th Place (1 pt. each)

Blame it on the scoring system.
While you are at it, can you please show the scores for From up on Poppy Hill, Secret of NIMH, The Spongebob Squarepants Movie and the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh?

You sure are one demanding dude.

From Up On Poppy Hill
54 points: 8th Place (18 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.)

The Secret of NIMH
53 points: 4th Place (22 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.)

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
38 points: 14th Place (12 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.), Two 24th Place (2 pts. each)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
16 points: 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (5 pts.), 23rd Place (3 pts.)

You sure are one demanding dude.

From Up On Poppy Hill
54 points: 8th Place (18 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.)

The Secret of NIMH
53 points: 4th Place (22 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.)

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
38 points: 14th Place (12 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.), Two 24th Place (2 pts. each)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
16 points: 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (5 pts.), 23rd Place (3 pts.)
Thank you very much.

Sorry if it was inconvenient for you.

You're welcome.

As you can see from those examples and from the stats I posted for The Triplets of Belleville, the actual placement on individual lists is just as important as the number of votes a film receives. It's Such A Beautiful Day placed at #96 with only three votes, while Spongebob had twice as many votes but failed to even come close to making the cut.

Re: nostalgia. I don't see a lot of evidence for that being the driver of most of these choices. Speaking for myself, most of the films on my list I saw when I was an adult, and I appreciated them on that level.

People don't usually describe these films as "children's films" any more--they usually call them "family films," because they have, for a very long time now, been designed to appeal to all ages. I don't see this as a weakness. If anything, I think it means we have to grade on a curve. Obviously, a film designed to appeal to 5 year olds as well as 50 year olds probably can't be too daring with its narrative or too adult in its themes. But all art operates under constraints, and how it achieves things within those restraints is what makes it impressive. There's a degree of difficulty bonus that ought to be given to a film that manages to move and entertain a wider variety of people.

As for technical...well, maybe we're using that word differently. Whatever complaints someone has about the emphasis on Pixar and Disney films, all of them were cutting edge at the time.

Monsters Inc was my #4. Until a few months ago when i watched a certain upcoming film for this countdown, Monsters Inc was my favourite Pixar.I remember someone saying to me that they don't notice voiceovers and for the most part i'm the same. With the big exception being Monsters, it almost feels liike they got Goodman and Crystal then created characters for them, Sully being the big burly yet loveable one and Billy Crystals odd voice working perfectly for Mike. Then we have possibly the cutest character in all of film in Boo, as a kid i never would've though a Silent character could effect me so emotionally. Overall Monsters is a Delightful, Hilarious, wonderfully Animated film that i still happily watch onced a year or so.

Finding Nemo is another well made fun film, but if i'm being honest out of the 11 Pixars i've watched the only ones i like less are A Bugs Life and Monsters University.

My List - 14/25

1.Princess Mononoke
2.Fantastic Mr.Fox
4.Monsters Inc
6.Waltz With Bashir
7.Persepolis
8.W&G: The Wrong Trousers
11.Duck Amuck
12.The Incredibles
14.South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
16.Allegro Non Troppo - Bolero
19.Howls Moving Castle