Films you turned off before it ended, but later loved?

Tools    

I didn't get far with The Wrestler on my first viewing, but now it's a favorite. It took me many years to get past the wedding scene in The Godfather. No Country for Old Men is one I shut off early, then loved years later on my 2nd viewing. I don't quite love Fight Club but I like it a good amount now, after turning it off the first time. I don't shut anything off anymore since joining this forum.

The Godfather films are hard to follow on a first watch and therefore were pretty boring - after several re-watches (and with the help of cliff notes) they become a lot more interesting

Clockwork Orange. A long, long time ago. I didn't turn it off with the intent of not finishing it, but it took me a couple weeks and one or two more pauses in the viewing to get through it. I've seen it many times since, including in the theatre, and it remains one of my very favorite movies.

Saving Private Ryan contender The Thin Red Line.

I actually left the cinema before it finished, about an hour in tbh, but have found it since to be close to SPR in terms of achievement and atmosphere.
Good movie.

While I'm not it, I pretty much never turn off a film in the middle - even if it's awful I like to watch them all the way though.

Welcome to the human race...
Raging Bull and Grave of the Fireflies are two examples that come to mind.

Master of My Domain
Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Didn't make it to the end during the first view, then realized how hilarious the lines are.

Since then it has been in a high ranking in my personal favorites, and whenever I need a laugh it's there for me.

Other than that one I can't really think of another one, since I almost never watch films that I think will shut off in the middle.

Prince and the pauper (2000). Watched it partly when i was young, didn't really liked it. Now looked for it for ages found it thanks to this forum), saw it sunday, liked it a lot.

Most films that I have turned off out of boredom or confusion I have never really learned to love because I probably haven't watched the entire movie. There are movies that grew on me, like Eyes Wide Shut and Donnie Darko, though that one still confuses me. Movies that I have turned off without watching the whole film include In Bruges, Slumdog Millionaire and Drive. I feel bad about Drive because there's a lot of love on these boards for that one and I may give it another try.

Films you turned off before it ended, but later loved?

All About Eve.

That was almost 15 years ago. Back then I thought any old black & white movie was just a dusty crusty bore.

A year latter and I started to get into films and classic movies. Since then I've watched All About Eve several times. It's one of my favorites.

None that I can remember.

I can remember watching a film through once and not liking it but really enjoying it the second time around, but no films where I've stopped watching it and gone back to it.

wanabe movie critique
None that I can remember. Those that I turned off before it ended got deleted the second I walked out-

There are times I do shut off movies before the end. I found that if I dislike the movie within the first 20 minutes, I usually won't like the rest of it either.

Last night I watched 45 minutes of The Leopard (1963) and then shut it off. I won't be rewatching it again.

Time is too short and there are way too many movies to watch for me to spend my time on something I don't like.

I didn't get far with The Wrestler on my first viewing, but now it's a favorite. It took me many years to get past the wedding scene in The Godfather. No Country for Old Men is one I shut off early, then loved years later on my 2nd viewing. I don't quite love Fight Club but I like it a good amount now, after turning it off the first time. I don't shut anything off anymore since joining this forum.
I can relate to being unable to get past the wedding in The Godfather...that scene goes on FOREVER!!!!!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I also love "All About Eve" - it was one of my favorites very quickly. It was a suspenseful film even though it's considered a drama.

There's a movie I turned off, and then got into a conversation, and forgot... Going by recent memory, I remember almost turning off "La Dolce Vita" - I loved it the second time, and then liked it the third time.

Speaking of "Fight Club" I was given that movie, and upon first watching it I barely got enough sleep that day of school, and fell asleep until the last 2 minutes of the movie, which kinda ruined it, but it was still ok after watching it the second time.

Gosh, so many memories with just one girl, but I watched "Magnolia" incorrectly. It was on a double-box, and I assumed the person before me put it in the right spot, because I watched TAPE 2, then when that was over, I knew... It's a top 5 films in the last 20 years I think, so it wasn't ruined luckily.

I was thinking of watching "The Cheetah" (1963?) - or at least was going to burn it, but I like your tastes, so I might hold off.

I will remember and come back to this....

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
3 months ago, I did turn off Antonioni's "Blow-Up" but I haven't turned it on yet. Absolutely nothing happens in the beginning, barely any dialogue, and couldn't take it anymore. I can't believe I watched 30 minutes.. Must have been Pauline Kael in my ear.. But, if a lot of people on here recommend it, it might put it on the Top 50 queue.

"Absolutely nothing happens in the beginning, barely any dialogue, and couldn't take it anymore."

That's exactly how I felt with The Leopard. I should watch it just so I can give it a review...

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Gone with the Wind (1939) took me like 3 nights to complete, where i reguarly watch 1-2 films per day. However, I did end up sort of enjoying the film, maybe even liking it?

Another film (although it's almost a year ago) is It's a Wonderful Life (1946). I remember watching the first half and thought, this is super lame. The next day I watched the other half and loved it, and I actually shed a couple of tears at the end, which I rarely do watching films (I'm a cold person). Can't wait to watch that film again this Christmas, maybe even persuade my family to join in.