The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Next I predict Stalker and Superman.
Wrong. Stalker will make the top 10.
I was hoping Superman would make the top 10, but the way that most people here are talking about it, I'm not even sure that it will make the list at all.

I was hoping Superman would make the top 10, but the way that most people here are talking about it, I'm not even sure that it will make the list at all.
Hope is the first step towards disappointment.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A pair of heroes in the mid twenties of our list. Bruce Lee lights up the screen in Enter the Dragon, appearing on seven top tens: one second place vote, two fourth, a sixth, a ninth, and two tenth. It was on twenty-one total lists. The comic book fun of Superman was brought to the big screen with a large budget, an all-star supporting cast, and it was on nineteen MoFo lists, including eight top tens: three second place votes, a fourth, a fifth, a seventh, and two tenth.

Mmmmmmmmm. Yummers.

Looks like I was half right with my prediction. Seen both, but only voted for Superman. Was my number 12. Voted for it because it is a childhood favorite.

Seen 62/78

My list: 10

4. Blazing Saddles (33)
5. Eraserhead (26)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
11. Mean Streets (77)
12. Superman (23)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)

I love Enter the Dragon. Another one I've seen so, so many times. I'm a big fan of Bruce Lee, and while his Hong Kong movies show their age, he still radiates from the screen. But while Enter the Dragon may be a product of its time, the movie holds up rather well, and Bruce Lee is amazing as ever. But John Saxon and Jim Kelly are great in it as well, and the evil Han is a worthy opponent. You also get the incredibly ripped Bolo Yeung fighting Bruce and a scene with female martial artist star Angela Mao as Bruce's sister, her death of course giving the hero a personal stake in the mission. The ending with the panels of mirrors is of course iconic now. Yup, I'm a big fan. I had it at #16.

Superman was great for its time, and it certainly wowed me as a kid to see such a treatment of a comic book superhero, but man, is it cheesy. I can't really dig it now at all, and plus Superman has never been a favorite. But it certainly deserves to be somewhere on a 70s list.

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
14. The French Connection (#31)
16. Enter the Dragon (#24)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)
22. Network (#32)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

Enter the Dragon is my least favorite of the 3 Bruce Lee films I've seen.

Not a huge fan of Superman either.

YES!!!!!

YES! YES! YES! YES!

This is the highest placed film on my list so far and the highest one that I wasn't sure would make it. I really did think it'd gone too far now for it to make it. You guys rock. There is nothing else on my list that's going to make me as happy as this appearing on this countdown now unless you guys really have done something strange. My #1 choice being #1 on the countdown won't feel as good as this.

I'm not a fan of martial arts films. I'm not even much of a fan of Bruce Lee films, but this is all those films ever have to be to succeed. Lee as Bond and the set up is the basis of about half of the beat 'em ups that've ever existed. A worldwide phenomenon was born.

No Amarcord.

The Godfather
The Godfather 2
Jaws
Chinatown
Star Wars
A Clockwork Orange
Young Frankenstein
Halloween
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now