The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sidney Lumet’s Dog Day Afternoon only had five top ten votes, but it was on an impressive twenty-five total ballots. Its top tens were a fifth, a sixth, a seventh, a ninth, and a tenth place. Lumet becomes the first director with three films on the countdown: Dog Day Afternoon (#28), Network (#32), and Serpico (#55). Harold & Maude is Hal Ashby’s second film on the list (#98 Being There), which was on nineteen ballots and had nine top tens: a second, a third, two fourth, two fifth, a sixth, a seventh, and a tenth place vote.

Dog Day Afternoon was one of my favorites when I was 17. I haven't seen it since then though, and it wasn't on my list.

Harold and Maude was #5 on my list. My dad showed it to me when I was young, it's one of his favorites too, and it left quite an impact on me.

Almost voted for Dog Day Afternoon. Have not seen Harold and Maude.

Seen 56/74

My list: 8

4. Blazing Saddles (33)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
11. Mean Streets (77)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)

That bloody picture of Bud Cort is just morbid. Has Sci-Fi Slob taken over the '70s Countdown?

MISS VICKY!

IT'S HERE! I told you yesterday Harold & Maude was coming, didn't I? (Or was it the day before... ?)

Harold & Maude was #11 on my list.

ON MY LIST

2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
4. Rocky II
8. Mad Max
11. Harold & Maude
12. Carrie
15. Little Big Man
16. The Deer Hunter
17. The Muppet Movie
19. The Jerk

Patton
isn't coming. I'm pretty sure of that now.

Dog Day Afternoon is a good movie. I didn't put it on my list, though. I'm sure it was on Miss Vicky's list, as was Harold & Maude.

You guys better be absolutely sure that Texas Chain Saw Massacre is still coming. I'm still nervous.

And the last couple days have brought us two more from Deadite's list: he had Annie Hall as his number twenty, and Harold & Maude as his number seven. That makes a posthumous nine.

1. Marathon Man (#73)
3. Dawn of the Dead (#35)
7. Harold & Maude (#27)
8. The Deer Hunter (#38)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
12. Walkabout (#67)
15. Carrie (#36)
18. Straw Dogs (#83)
20. Annie Hall (#30)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deadite harold.png
Views:	816
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	16750  

Harold and Maude was #5 on my list. My dad showed it to me when I was young, it's one of his favorites too, and it left quite an impact on me.
My mother showed it to me when I was young. It's one of her favorites.

And the last couple days have brought us two more from Deadite's list: he had Annie Hall as his number twenty, and Harold & Maude as his number seven. That makes a posthumous nine.
I can't believe we're never gonna hear from Deadite again.

Maybe I should fill in for him. That could be my next alt account -- I could be a Deadite impersonator. Like an Elvis impersonator. I could pretend to be Deadite and make you think he was here with us again. I think he would have liked that.

No, he probably wouldn't have.

Today's one month since we found out he died. Yesterday was a month since he died. 20th/21st of July. I just realized that.

By the by, there's a new documentary out now, titled simply The Dog, that looks at John Wojtowicz, the man who attempted to rob that Brooklyn bank and was played by Al Pacino in Lumet's dramatization of the events.

Official site: drafthousefilms.com/film/the-dog

I liked Harold and Maude quite a bit, but it's only my 4th favorite 70's movie from Hal Ashby behind The Last Detail, Coming Home, and Shampoo. As much as I liked it, I'm surprised it placed this high.

I've seen Dog Day Afternoon many times, and it's been a favorite for many years. However, the last time I watched it, I wasn't crazy about it. I didn't vote for it because I just wasn't sure.

The Last Detail is another Hal Ashby movie? He's stalking me. I've had that movie on DVD, but never watched it.

Dog Day Afternoon could easily have been on my list. It's a really intense movie and one of Pacino's best performances. Harold and Maude was on my list, at #19. It's probably the movie on my list that's been the longest since I've watched it, but man, way back when I had a copy of it off of Cinemax and I used to watch it constantly during my early twenties, so it was based on that fact that I voted for it. The soundtrack definitely helps to elevate the movie, but even so I just loved the characters, flaws and all. I read Yoda's problems with it, and I just wonder what's the difference is between Harold and Maude and any other buddy movie where one of the characters is impulsive or half-crazy, like Midnight Cowboy or Scarecrow or any other of the many dozens that exist.

Anyhow, I voted for both Hal Ashby movies, and I seriously considered Shampoo, just because it has a vibe I really like, but then decided not to overdo it. As a side note, I'm really surprised Harold and Maude placed as high as it did.

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
14. The French Connection (#31)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)
22. Network (#32)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

As a side note, I'm really surprised Harold and Maude placed as high as it did.
I can't believe how many of you can't believe it. Wish I could see your faces when Eraserhead is named #1.

*WHOOPS*

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
My list

11 Grease (59)
14 Deliverance (51)
15 The Warriors (37)
17 Dog Day Afternoon (28)
19 Rocky II (63)
21 Badlands (58)
22 Serpico (55)
23 Solaris (39)
25 The Lords of Flatbush (My One-Pointer)