The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Not much to say here. I dislike Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and when my dad saw me watching it he clearly showed his dissapointment in me that i wasn't watching the clearly superior 50s version (still haven't seen it).

Walkabout
was interesting at times but i must admit my mind wandered at times when i was watching it, sorry fans . A rewatch in the future will tell what i really think about it whether good or bad, because it reminds me of my initial reaction to films like Chinatown and Rear Window.

Thanks Mark for taking the time to tell us in detail how you feel about each movie. It's always a pleasure to read whether i agree with you or not .

Seen - 15/34
List - 2/25

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Animal House is one of my dad's favorite movies so i've seen parts of it several times over the years but i'm not sure i've ever seen the whole thing. what i saw was really funny but i doubt it could've made my list.

really wanted to see Suspira but i didn't get a chance to. i saw The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, which i liked, but i imagine Suspira would be better.

i like The Last Picture Show, although i don't quite get what all the fuss is about.

didn't see Rocky II although i hated the first one.

that makes 10 i've seen, and it means the movie i had at #1 got more points than i thought!

I have a full weekend ahead of me, so here are the pair from Saturday and the pair from Sunday.

Yes, another numerical tie, with Suspiria and The Last Picture Show both at 120 points. Argento's Suspiria was on nine ballots with four top tens: a tenth place, a ninth place, and two fourth place votes. Bogdanovich's Last Picture Show had three top ten placers (a second, a fourth, and an eighth), but was on twelve overall lists, putting it at number sixty-four on our countdown.

Rocky II was on eight ballots, and had three top five votes (a second, a third, and a fourth place), so take it up with those folks. National Lampoon's Animal House was on eleven lists and had three top tens: a tenth place, a fourth place, and one first place vote.

So Donald Sutherland is on a good little roll here, appearing in four of the past dozen or so films (MASH, Don’t Look Now, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Animal House). As omnipresent as the elder Sutherland has been since the 1970s, before this list unveiling started I don’t know how many of us would have predicted that Donald Sutherland would be in (at least) four of the top hundred. The first thing I ever saw him in must have been The Dirty Dozen, when I was a kid. From the moment of that impromptu inspection where he pretends to be a general, I have been a fan. And he just keeps going!

the only one I've seen out of these 4 if The Last Picture Show which was excellent, but didn't made my list.

As for the other 3 I don't have any kind of interest in watching them (maybe Suspiria, but no the other 2)

NO

F**KING

WAY

This isn't a joke????!!!!!!

This is real??????!!!!!!

I'm not asleep???????????? This isn't a dream???????? THIS ISN'T A DREAM, RIGHT?! THIS ISN'T A DREAM?! IF IT IS, I DON'T WANNA WAKE UP!!!!!!

OMG. This just might be the best countdown ever all of a sudden.

Rocky II was #4 on my list.

Everyone else who voted for it... consider me your personal slave from now on.

Rocky II is higher than Animal House!!

Rocky II is higher than MASH!!

Rocky II is higher than F for Fake!!

Rocky II
is higher than Saturday Night Fever!!

Rocky II is higher than All The President's Men!!

Why isn't everyone else screaming from the rooftops about this???? People, I know it's Friday night, but Rocky II just made the list!!!!!!!!!

Animal House has been a favorite of mine for over 30 years; I had it at #4. I was not at all confident it would make this list because I just don't hear a lot about it. I thought maybe mojofilter and mikeython could also have it high on their lists, but that's just a guess. John Belushi is a god in Chicago, and that's where I'm originally from. The director, John Landis, is a favorite of mine. For the 80's list, I had 3 of his movies in my top 10: Trading Places at #8, The Blues Brothers at #2, and An American Werewolf in London at #1.

I watched The Last Picture Show for the first time a couple months ago and liked it an awful lot. I feel like it's a movie that will only get better with repeat viewings. I'm surprised it's not higher.

I'm surprised Rocky II made this list, but I'm not disappointed. I love all of the first 4 Rocky movies.

I expected to see Suspiria at some point. I didn't love it, but I thought it was an above average horror film.

My list-
#3 Saturday Night Fever (87)
#4 Animal House (66)
#14 Mean Streets (77)
#19 Marathon Man (73)
#23 Straw Dogs (83)

I don't rate Animal House myself.
I see it the same as 2001 and A Clockwork Orange... I just don't get the love for it. Tried to watch it maybe 4 or 5 times over the years but just can't get into it.

As I said a minute ago about Rocky 2, I didn't even consider it.

Suspiria and The Last Picture Show are decent though.

I know you're really very excited about Rocky II, Rodent, but you're trying to remain composed.

I know you like those Rocky movies. I've read your review thread.

You probably turned off Young Guns and put on Rocky II to celebrate. I don't blame you. I don't blame you at all.

Yeah I like the Rocky films... but for a 70s list I wouldn't have Rocky 2. If I could pick a Top 1000 rather than 25, Rocky 2 might, maybe, make the cut.