A Personal Journey with The Gunslinger45 through the Movies: A Top 50+

→ in
Tools    

Vice Squad: 1982 (R) NEW
USA / AVCO Embassy Pictures
No Rotten Tomato Score Available

I actually found this movie through one of my all time favorite websites, That Guy with the Glasses.com. One of the major internet personalities of that website is a guy named Brad Jones, aka The Cinema Snob. A guy whose internet persona is a snooty film critic modeled after the late Roger Ebert. He will cream his shorts over a Terrence Malik or Scorsese movie, loves art house films, but loathes horror movies and exploitation flicks. A movie that keeps getting mentioned in his reviews in passing was the movie Vice Squad. It was mentioned so often, and noted to being one of Brad’s favorite movies that I decided to check it out. Not wanting to spend $40 bucks on the DVD, I was lucky enough to find the movie on YouTube in its entirety. Immediately after watching this movie I threw down the 40 bucks for the DVD. It is sleaze perfection!

Based off real life accounts from the files of the LAPD, the movie follows the story of a single mom known only as Princess who is forced to turn tricks at night to pay the bills. Through a series of events she is used in a sting operation to nail a sadistic pimp named Ramrod. And let me tell ya Wings Hauser as Ramrod is fantastic! A man who can jump from charismatic to psychotic in the time it takes for a jump cut. It is urban crime and grit (which I love) with plenty of 80’s sleaze. But a surprising amount of restraint since there is surprisingly little nudity in the film. Plenty of explicit talk and sexually based scenarios, but little T&A. The scenes range from standard exchange of money for straight sex to when Princess gets solicited for a gig at some rich guys place. Needless to say it gets REALLY weird. And to top it off, it has one of my favorite opening themes in Neon Slime sung by Wings Hauser himself!

I have to give it to Brad, the man has excellent taste in sleazy flicks.

on the sleazy scale.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
His PR was that Gran Torino was his last film as an actor though.

Talk about epic! Vice Squad and Hobo with a Shotgun are cut from the same cloth. Similar to Brad Jones, we had a local TV news film critic named Gary Franklin. He was known for his Franklin Scale of 1-10. He loathed Vice Squad so much he saw it twice, or so he said. That way he could say, "On the Franklin scale, I gave it a minus 10 the first time and a minus 10 the second time, so nothing else will do but a minus 20 for Vice Squad!" We had some some interesting TV critics with Franklin, David Sheehen and John Barbour. They were worth some laughs, although Barbour was the only one who earned a living at also being a comedian/satirist. I still fondly remember two of Barbour's on-air film reviews - Exorcist ii: The Heretic and Close Encounters. For the former, he said that Richard Burton was possessed with so much ham he needed an exorcism from Farmer John! For the latter, he said that Close Encounters made Star Wars look like it was a kid's Tinker Toy.

Anyhow, I give Vice Squad and Hobo with a Shotgon
although some here love at least the latter and others here are of a mind with Franklin about them. Keep it going and keep it real!

Interesting character this Gary Franklin must have been. Now where these his actual views on these movies? Because on of the things I always have to keep in mind is that The Cinema Snob is a character, and that Brad the person actually loves sleazy exploitation and z grade movies.

Clerks: 1992 (R) -8
USA / Miramax
88% (CF)

Dogma opened up the world of the View Askewniverse to me, and that of course meant I had to watch the rest of Kevin Smith’s filmography. Clerks was actually the third film of his I saw. Strangely enough it was also the film that took the longest for me to warm up too. By the time I saw my first Kevin Smith movie I had seen Kevin’s work where he had already began to grow as a filmmaker, whereas Clerks was the very bare bones beginning. Odd considering how high this movie is on my list, I actually thought Clerks was just okay the first time I saw it as compared to Dogma and Mallrats. It wasn't the black and white part (the fact that a film is in black and white never bothered me before). But I did have to get used to the fact that this movie had very little of the more cartoonish antics of Jay and Silent Bob from Dogma and especially Mallrats. And at this time I was a big Jay and Bob fan, I had to learn to love these two other guys who took up the most of the movie Dante and Randel; but given the performances of Jeff Anderson and Brian O Halloran that was not hard to do. And also this is a movie that is all dialogue and very little action.

But a rewatch did give me a much greater appreciation for the film, especially for Smith’s dialogue (which I adore) and for a good chunk of time was in the running for funniest film I ever saw with Blazing Saddles. So I have to give Kevin his due, he really helped me appreciate very dialogue heavy films. And not to mention these kinds of movies had a lot to do with shaping my personal sense of humor. I like a lot raw humor, the bluer the better. It is only natural this man’s films have a very high placement on my favorite movies of all time.

The Boondock Saints: 1999 (R) +18
USA / Franchise Pictures
20%

This is another big rental from the Blockbuster Video days. Surprisingly first rented by my father and the family sat down and watched it together. Not only is this a favorite of mine, but a surprisingly popular movie among my family and extended family. I know one of my aunts is a big fan and she is in her 60’s! I think part of that is my family has very strong conservative leanings (for the most part, the Chicago part of the family is full of libs). But the biggest part has to be that my family is also VERY Irish American. So a couple of Irish vigilantes killing wise guys are right up the family’s alley. Throw in lots of un PC humor and cursing and you have a family reunion at my house. Like that one time my uncle did the speech from Blazing Saddles about giving land to the … *ahem* African Americans and the Chinese but not the Irish over a few Black and Tans, kind of puts our family’s pride in our Irish heritage and humor into perspective.

This film is very special to me since it is the film I can literally throw in at anytime, turn it on and watch whenever. I never have to be in a certain mood to watch it. Just pop it in and let it play. I LOVE the characters, dig the humor, enjoy some of the creative choices with the shooting, and it is just SO MUCH FUN! Plenty of action, plenty of humor, and more than a few badass scenes. Hell the “There was a firefight” scene is in my opinion one of the best scenes ever.

Just the tone, music, and Willem DaFoe’s performance just NAILED IT! I don’t care if he was over the top, he was awesome! It was a fantastic ride from beginning to end. Not a deep film… but a double dose of fun!

Love, love The Boondock Saints.

If I had the patience and money, I could've met Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flannery and David Della Rocco (the funny man) at the Sacramento Comic Con last weekend. But there were far too many hoards of Walking Dead fans there and I wasn't going to try to fight through them. Would've been really cool though.

Oh well, Bruce Campbell's much cooler anyway so I can't complain.

Love, love The Boondock Saints.

If I had the patience and money, I could've met Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flannery and David Della Rocco (the funny man) at the Sacramento Comic Con last weekend. But there were far too many hoards of Walking Dead fans there and I wasn't going to try to fight through them. Would've been really cool though.

Oh well, Bruce Campbell's much cooler anyway so I can't complain.
I think you made the right choice.

Stalker: 1979 (NR) NEW
USSR / MosFilm
100%

This one should be familiar to anyone who participated in the 2nd MoFo Hall of Fame Tournament. This selection is due to our very own Guaporense, who I would like to thank him for nominating this movie. Now I have had a very up and down relationship with Andrei Tarkovsky. I first started watching his films after joining this site. I first saw Ivan’s Childhood and I liked it. Then I saw Solaris… which I thought was okay, but felt a rewatch was in need. Then I saw Andrei Rublev… which was an absolute chore to watch. And then The Mirror was very pretty to look at but did nothing for me. So I thought Tarkovsky was just not my thing. Then I watched this movie and got knocked on my ass!

Holy crap was this simply a FANTASTIC piece of art! A film very bleak at first (what with the black and white scenes) but then cut to “The Zone” and BOOM! Not only is it in color but the scenery is beautiful and somehow otherworldly. Plus the camera movement’s look like I felt like I was watching a painting being made as opposed to a film being watched. There was not much to the characters, and while there are arcs, they are minimal. But you are not here for the characters, you are here for the atmosphere!

Tarkovsky also likes to explore metaphysical and religious themes in his movies, and there was more than a few instances of such symbolism like the crown of thorns, or the motivations of the skeptical Professor. It does leave some hope towards the end and after I first saw the film it felt like I got hit in the chest with an emotional sledgehammer. Many of you know I went on record that day that (as of now) it is the best film I have seen from the standpoint of film as a piece of art. Not the best as a story telling medium mind you, but as pure visual power, look no further than Tarkovsky.

Art House Explosion: Expanding my tastes beyond Hollywood studio pictures

So we are about to begin the Top 10. And we end the previous 40 movies with an art film. So why not look at some art house and foreign films I have enjoyed. Which was the final cinematic expansion that happened most recently alongside my taste for 60’s and 70’s exploitation. We will get to how I gained a taste for art house and foreign flicks and how that came about later. This segment will allow me to not only show how far I have come with my film tastes, but also allows me to name drop a few directors and earn points with the art house crowd.

The Passion of Joan of Arc: 1928 (NR)
France / -
97%

If we are going to talk about the best female performances on screen, Maria Falconetti certainly deserves to be in the discussion. This is a silent film based off the transcripts of the trial of Joan of Arc. Very minimalist and often in close up shots, you can feel the emotion as Falconetti weeps and cries in a beautifully heartfelt performance! If you love powerful cinema and do not mind films that are black and white, foreign, or silent movies; check this film out.

M: (1931) (NR) (Ex Top 50)
Germany / Germany/ Vereinigte Star Film
100% (CF)

M was the movie surrounding the search for a child killer that has the town in a panic. The movie is pure atmosphere as you feel the anxiety and paranoia in the opening scenes, as every one of the town’s folk is calling out others as the child killer over even the most innocent of occurrences like telling a child what time it is. Both the law and the outlaws are searching high and low for the killer (played by Peter Lorre). One of my favorite scenes from the movie is when he is confronted by the guild of criminals who give him a mock trial before they try to kill him. Lorre puts on a great performance as he tries to save his own skin. The movie is shot beautifully in black and white; what do you expect from Fritz Lang who is the master of shadows? This movie laid the ground work for a lot of psychological thrillers to come as well as many a film noir.

The Battle of Algiers: 1966 (NR) (Ex Top 50)
Italy & Algeria / Rialto Pictures
99% (CF)

This movie is on my list less in terms of entertainment, but more of what it presents and achieves cinematically. The movie details the guerrilla war between the native Algerians and the French. No party in this film is glorified, and everyone can be condemned for their actions. The purpose of this film is not to celebrate either side, it is a look at urban warfare. The film is shot in a way that tries to make it look like a documentary or footage taken from a news crew. It allows the viewer to feel that they are actually in the Casbah while the movie plays on. They also take a page from Italian neo realism and use non professional actors for most of the roles. In fact only the role of LTC Mathieu is played by a professional actor. The rest were normal people and the extras in this movie numbered in the thousands. Creating a movie that looks like new footage and an excellent film.

2001 A Space Odyssey: 1968 (G) (Ex Top 50)
USA & UK / MGM (Original) Warner Brothers (Currently)
97% (CF)

Even to this day standing as one of the greatest technical achievements in cinema, 2001 A Space Odyssey stands as one of many Kubrick masterpieces. It does not have much in terms of character or dialogue, but dear God does it make up for it in pure visual experience. Combining stunning sci-fi images to classical music makes this a must see for film fans. It used some outstanding effects and cinematic wizardry that created some awesome sequences! The very minimal dialogue in certain scenes combined with the memorizing effects creates one of the best visual experiences I have ever had.

Man Bites Dog: 1992 (NR)
Belgium / Wellspring Media Inc.
75%

If you want pitch black dark humor and a brilliant concept, this little Belgian picture is for you. A mockumentry which follows the day to day life of a serial killer named Benoit. Bringing to life one of my favorite film concepts of all time. The crew starts out as voyeuristic observers, but the eventually become more and more involved in the violence reaped by the blood thirsty (and darkly funny) Ben. Satirical subtext on the tie between media and violence is what you make of it. The film is a VERY dark comedy with lots of instances where you will be laughing at some pretty messed up stuff. Especially the part where Ben kills a security guard at a construction site. A controversial film to say the least.

La Haine: 1995 (NR)
France / Canal +
100%

And we have my favorite French film here. Found this movie while looking through the Criterion movies section of Hulu Plus. I knew this movie had some fans on this site, especially from Donnie Darko who has it in his Top 10. So I decided to check it out. This definitely ranks up there as one of the most powerful films I have ever seen. Not only does it differ a lot from other French films I have seen like Belle De Jour and Contempt, this feels more like Boyz n the Hood or Do the Right Thing than a typical French movie. From the rap soundtrack to the themes of urban violence and racial strife makes this a very intense film. The tale of three friends, all young men and the 19 hours that take place after a riot. We explore the French ghettos, the various ethnicities who live there and the issues they suffer from. The underlying theme of hatred runs deep and each of the three youths brings a different point of view to their surroundings. A powerful film and a must see.

Top notch work so far, Gunslinger. Your honorable mentions are always interesting.
It is the honorable mentions that really make this list special. These films helped shape my growth and taste. It is like giving my cinematic history, and really gives this list some extra spice.

Anyway I will start posting the Top 10 first thing tomorrow.

Let the night air cool you off
Have you seen Ordet? I still haven't seen The Passion of Joan of Arc, but both are by Dreyer. Ordet is an interesting look at religion, if you haven't seen it you should give it a go.

I was going to save my comments until the end because of how far behind I have fallen, but big for La Haine, but you already new I'd say that so here's an for Man Bites Dog too, another for Gran Tarino which would rank similarly in my list, and a for your last three top 50 inclusions.

Oh my I missed it, add another to the chalk board

One of my favorite guilty pleasures

Sounds like a hell of a watching experience too

I still vaguely remember seeing Jaws at the movies. As of now, it won't make my 70's list because I haven't seen it in about 25 years. I'm going to watch it again soon, I feel like by now, it should be a favorite of mine.

I love Dawn of the Dead, Blazing Saddles, and Dirty Harry, they're all on the cusp of my 70's list.

I really like Casablanca, Eraserhead, Clerks, Gran Torino, and Hobo with a Shotgun, but don't quite love them.

Death Wish, Coffy, and Escape From New York are all old favorites.

I always loved The Toxic Avenger; I got fired from a video store back in the late 80's for recommending it to families.

When I used to work at the airport, I would steal the cargo van, go pick up all my friends, get drunk, and go to Harvard Square to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The audience participation was a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I'd like the movie otherwise.

Pink Flamingos is pretty messed up.

I haven't seen The Producers, Vice Squad, Stalker or Rashomon yet.

Love The Boondock Saints and Man Bites Dog.

Let the night air cool you off
I always loved The Toxic Avenger; I got fired from a video store back in the late 80's for recommending it to families.

When I used to work at the airport, I would steal the cargo van, go pick up all my friends, get drunk, and go to Harvard Square to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The audience participation was a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I'd like the movie otherwise.
+rep for being a terrible employee

Stalker: 1979 (NR) NEW
USSR / MosFilm
100%

This one should be familiar to anyone who participated in the 2nd MoFo Hall of Fame Tournament. This selection is due to our very own Guaporense, who I would like to thank him for nominating this movie. Now I have had a very up and down relationship with Andrei Tarkovsky. I first started watching his films after joining this site. I first saw Ivan’s Childhood and I liked it. Then I saw Solaris… which I thought was okay, but felt a rewatch was in need. Then I saw Andrei Rublev… which was an absolute chore to watch. And then The Mirror was very pretty to look at but did nothing for me. So I thought Tarkovsky was just not my thing. Then I watched this movie and got knocked on my ass!

Holy crap was this simply a FANTASTIC piece of art! A film very bleak at first (what with the black and white scenes) but then cut to “The Zone” and BOOM! Not only is it in color but the scenery is beautiful and somehow otherworldly. Plus the camera movement’s look like I felt like I was watching a painting being made as opposed to a film being watched. There was not much to the characters, and while there are arcs, they are minimal. But you are not here for the characters, you are here for the atmosphere!

Tarkovsky also likes to explore metaphysical and religious themes in his movies, and there was more than a few instances of such symbolism like the crown of thorns, or the motivations of the skeptical Professor. It does leave some hope towards the end and after I first saw the film it felt like I got hit in the chest with an emotional sledgehammer. Many of you know I went on record that day that (as of now) it is the best film I have seen from the standpoint of film as a piece of art. Not the best as a story telling medium mind you, but as pure visual power, look no further than Tarkovsky.
I felt so good that other people watched it because of me and it also entered into their favorites lists. Too bad Nausicaa failed to do the same in the 1st Hall of Fame.