Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The 13TH Hall of Fame (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=48960)

rauldc14 04-11-17 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1686342)
For me it was just sooo recent. I thought you were going to nominate that or La La Land. I'm sure some of us haven't seen it though.
I usually don't pick recent nominations, but I wanted to change it up. Almost went American Hustle then realized Miss Vicky would kill it.

Miss Vicky 04-11-17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1686341)
Looks like I picked a bad nomination as nobody will be watching it for this :(
I'll be watching it.

Cobpyth 04-11-17 10:09 PM

Re: The 13TH Hall of Fame

I'm not participating in this, but I'm bored, so I'll just post along. Quite a lot of films I haven't seen yet!

NOT SEEN:

Buffalo '66 - Has been on my watchlist for quite some time, but not as a priority (I have more than 5000 films on my watchlist so that puts things in perspective a little bit). I'll definitely look out for people's opinions about it here.

Manchester by the Sea - Might give this one a go some time in the future.

Dances With Wolves - I have this one on DVD, but haven't watched it yet because of its running time. There's a good chance I'll watch it this year for the first time, though.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - Looks really good and has been on my watchlist for a while. Will definitely watch this in the future.

The Marriage of Maria Braun - Probably the film I'd be most excited about if I was participating. I've only seen one Fassbinder film so far (Despair) and I've been wanting to watch more of his work.

The Three Musketeers - Probably a fun adventure. Wouldn't mind watching this.

Captain Fantastic - A good friend of mine really liked this and recommended it to me, but I haven't watched it yet. I Might in the future.

Forbidden Games - Would be very excited to watch this one as well.

The Quiet Earth - I never knew what to expect from this, which makes it intriguing.

Wings of Desire - I love the films I've seen from Wenders so far, so I would be very excited to watch this, as it's one of his most acclaimed films.

SEEN: (from favorite to least favorite in my opinion)

1) Nightmare Alley - As a big fan of magic, cons and great cinema, this is one of my favorite films of the noir genre!

2) The Hunt - Rarely has a film made me so angry, in a good way.

3) The Great Dictator - Not my favorite Chaplin film (although it's been some time since I've last watched it, so I should check again), but still a fantastic and historically important film.

(gap)

4) Dead Poet's Society - Has some good bits and has some bits that I don't like as much. I generally look at the film in a favorable way, though. It becomes an even more emotional trip now that Robin Williams has left us in the way he did.

(gap)

5) The Broken Circle Breakdown - I'm glad a Belgian film got nominated, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. I think this film hammered too much on its main point and wasn't able to handle its heavy topic in an elegantly subtle way. It's all emotions and clashes throughout the whole film and I wasn't satisfied by how everything came together. The lack of moderation is a bit of a trend that's apparent in many modern Belgian films and it tends to bother me. It's however perfectly possible that people from other countries find this refreshing.
I liked the play this was based on a lot better. I'm sure many of you will like/love this film, though, and you wouldn't be wrong! I reacted rather coldly to this whole film, but I'm sure many of you will feel more warmth and genuine emotions when watching this. Perhaps it was my fault.

(gap)

6) Les Intouchables - This didn't work for me at all in any meaningful sense, but I can see why it's such a crowd-pleaser.

Citizen Rules 04-11-17 11:06 PM

Damn! I think this might be the best Hof ever! I'll be watching every single one of these...all 15!

My thoughts, and I ain't got many as I haven't seen a lot of these:p

Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998).....No idea on this one?

Dead Poet's Society (Peter Weir, 1989)....this was on my watch list, OK, my wife's watch list actually.

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)... I tried watching it a month ago and didn't finish it. But I'll give at a try.

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)...Seen this twice, and love it! It's fine film making. I'll watch it again too.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003) I had wanted to see this, so glad it's nominated, as now I will!

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979)...no idea about this, but I liked the poster.

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)...sounds fun! I might have seen it, but what the heck I'll watch it again.

Captain Fantastic (Matt Ross, 2016)...Never heard of it, but looks fun.

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)...I really want to like another of Neiba's noms:p I feel bad about hating on his last two, maybe this one will be it.

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)...Very cool, I've been wanting to see this for a long time.

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix Van Groeningen, 2012)...another that I've never heard of.

Nightmare Alley (Edmund Goulding, 1947) This is my movie. IMDB says it's a noir, but it's not a typical noir so don't expect detectives, and gun play...in fact don't think of it as a noir.

Forbidden Games (Rene Clement, 1952) Interesting!

The Intouchables (Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano, 2012) Never heard of it, but looks promising.

The Quiet Earth (Goeff Murphy, 1985)...I was going to watch this for the Sci Fi countdown but never got around to it.

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987) I've loved all of Cosmic's other noms, so I hope the trend continues.

edarsenal 04-11-17 11:13 PM

Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998)
Nominated by Camo
Haven't seen this since it first came out at the theaters. Curious to see how I feel about it now.

Dead Poet's Society (Peter Weir, 1989)
Nominated By Sarge
A past favorite of mine. Been a while since I saw this one, so, YAY

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
Nominated By Raul
Haven't seen it but curious to see what everyone is talking about

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Great call, Vicky! Been ages since I saw this

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003)
Nominated By Nestorio
Haven not seen this but have been quite curious about it

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979)
Nominated By Cricket
Have not heard of this but since Cricket nominated it, should be QUITE the crazy ride

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)
Nominated By Edarsenal
:):):)

Captain Fantastic (Matt Ross, 2016)
Nominated By PussyGalore
I've been on the fence on this one, time to hop off and see what's what

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)
Nominated By Neiba
Been wanting to see this one, sweet!

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)
Nominated By SilentVamp
Oh fer Eff's SAKE, a CHAPLIN MOVIE!?!?!? SERIOUSLY!!??

just kidding!! LOOOOVE Chaplin!!!! :) EXCELLENT nom, SV!

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix Van Groeningen, 2012)
Nominated By ScarlettLion
Haven't heard of this one

Nightmare Alley (Edmund Goulding, 1947)
Nominated By Citizen Rules
Cannot, for the life of me, remember if I've seen this or not. Either way, looking forward to it

Forbidden Games (Rene Clement, 1952)
Nominated By Jeff Costello
Haven't heard of it but very curious to see it

The Intouchables (Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano, 2012)
Nominated By Nebu
Another I've been wanting to see

The Quiet Earth (Goeff Murphy, 1985)
Nominated By Clazor
Haven't heard of this one but I've enjoyed Clazor's noms, so should be all kinds of fun

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
Nominated By Cosmic
Haven't heard of this one as well, and like Clazor, Cosmic has come up with some great movies, so I may I say: YAY

SilentVamp 04-12-17 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1686341)
Looks like I picked a bad nomination as nobody will be watching it for this :(
You want to know something? I really wasn't too surprised that you nominated that. Considering how you felt about it, I wasn't too shocked to see it here and to see it that soon. Like I said, I've had it on hold at the library for awhile now. So I will be watching it, anyway. And if I am going to be watching it, I might as well be watching it for a HoF. That way I will actually take the time to write how I felt about it.

Pussy Galore 04-12-17 02:58 AM

I've seen most of the nominations and have enjoyed most of them!

CosmicRunaway 04-12-17 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1686365)
Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987) I've loved all of Cosmic's other noms, so I hope the trend continues.
I think you'll like Wings of Desire more than the film I was originally thinking of nominating, which was Nowhere in Africa (2001).

Camo 04-12-17 04:28 AM

The Marriage of Maria Braun

This was my second Fassbinder after Ali: Fear Eats The Soul which i liked alot. Oddly enough i almost watched it two days before Cricket nominated it. This sta rted off slow and not that interesting but it wasn't for long at all, 10-15 minutes until Maria changes. This was actually pretty similar to Ali: Fear Eats The Soul; challenging social norms, even the racial angle at first. Completely agreed with Cricket; Hanna Schygulla is outstanding, i'd go as far to say she is one of the best female characters i've seen. Her transformation is pretty remarkable, even moreso because you don't actually get to know her that well before it. That's the thing; she transforms more than once, after she ends up working at the bar still dependent on men then she transforms into a confident, powerful women. It was all very well handled. The best thing about Maria for me was the despite all the using and manipulating i never disliked her, she had to do this, this was the only way she could get things done and be happy and i don't see why she shouldn't do exactly that. I did feel a little sorry for Karl who was a decent person who was deeply in love with her and was probably better for her than Hermann, but thing is it's her choice. She is rarely pleasant but then why should she be, she is fighting to survive throughout the film even when she gets great wealth. Even after she finds out about Hermann and ends up really bitchy and forceful it's understandable when you consider everything she has been through and this goal she has been working so hard being crushed so abruptly, as her mom says "These Roses! It's like dying once a month." So yeah, i loved her. If she was in even a fairly known English Language film and not a German one i think Maria Braun would be known as an iconic character today. She is to me now anyway.

There were plenty of great scenes, powerful, funny, odd.. bordering on surreal for me at times mostly in peoples reactions. Like Hermann's return scene which was excellent and obviously seriously upped the drama. So crazy, it made me feel like a moron coz i didn't even consider that was him standing in the door, i was just thinking who is that weirdo, thought it might have been some racist relative or something. It was oddly surreal with Maria's reaction being one of happiness as if nothing was wrong; think that really confirmed her fragile mental state that had been a question up to this point. Not to mention Bill sitting there naked staring at him. That was an excellent turning point as i thought she wasn't capable of that, up til then she didn't seem particularly strong willed and it also cemented her main goal throughout the film as she now literally had blood on her hands. And that ending, jesus that ending. I thought at first it would probably end quietly with her sitting contemplating everything then BOOM...literally.

Sorry this is a scattered collection of my random thoughts. I watched this a few hours ago then i fell asleep for a few hours so it was tough to put everything together. I liked this alot, great start to the hall of fame. Nightmare Alley next for me.

ScarletLion 04-12-17 05:46 AM

Great list of nominations. I can't wait to get stuck in. I've seen 6 including my own nom. But I'll be re-watching most of them. I'm a huge fan of Manchester by the Sea and The Hunt.

I'm most looking forward to The Quiet Earth and The Marriage of Maria Braun

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop now. No idea what to start with.

neiba 04-12-17 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686493)
Also apologies to @Titu , i was calling you Nebu both in the first post and the mention until i noticed it earlier :facepalm: It's probably @neiba fault, he's all i can think about :p
Damn Camo, you make me blush... :blush::blush::blush:

:licklips::randy::randy:

MovieMeditation 04-12-17 06:34 AM

I'm not participating but as always I'll just give some quick thoughts on the nominees. :up: I've seen 9 of the movies...

Buffalo '66 - Yeah I know about it. Vincent Gallo's most praised picture I would assume. I'm interested in this and had I participated I would've looked forward to it

Dead Poet's Society - Sentimental and cliché but still good and Robin is a lot of the reason why

Manchester by the Sea - Glad to see this nominated. My favourite film of last year. I loved it. As a critic this is one of only three films I have ever given full house to (on the Danish scale)

Dances With Wolves - Only seen the extended version and while long indeed I was never what you would call bored. Great epic and I'll look forward to seeing the theatrical version some day too

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - I owe this one a revisit some day... but I still liked it just fine the first time around. Maybe it was a little too "predictable" and "cliché" in the way that it played out because of its very structured concept and forced fundament. But a nice movie and interesting experiment.

The Marriage of Maria Braun - Never heard of it but it sounds great!

The Three Musketeers - Never really had any interest in these old adaptions of the story, but it could be interesting.

Captain Fantastic - This was good and Viggo was awesome - probably one of his most personal and honest roles. I liked the idea, I liked the story but the execution was not as good as I hoped. This was merely a good film but I expected it to be either really good or even great.

The Hunt - Local masterpiece. One of the few Danish films that comes through once in a while and is actually amazing. Great and heartbreaking and depressing little film.

The Great Dictator - One of Chaplin's very best. Maybe his best. His transition into talkies was god damn flawless.

The Broken Circle Breakdown - One of those low budget indie flicks that everybody loved upon release but I found it to be meh... I loved the concept but the execution was too obvious and predictable and it annoyed me...

Nightmare Alley - Never heard of it

Forbidden Games - Never heard of it.

The Intouchables - The essential feel good movie. Such a very human and touching story. Great fun and sentimental while keeping it real.

The Quiet Earth - Never heard of it.

Wings of Desire - Really want to see this. Sounds great!

ScarletLion 04-12-17 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686490)
Which 5 other than your nom out of interest?
Dead poets, Manchester, Dances with wolves, The Hunt and Captain Fantastic.

My nom certainly won't be for everyone, but then as long as 1 person enjoys it I will feel ok.

MovieMeditation 04-12-17 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686504)
What are the other two?
Boyhood and Whiplash.

Obviously I've seen plenty of full house features since I started, but if we are only counting those movies I went to press screenings for and reviewed on the Danish website then that's it...

Titu 04-12-17 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686493)
Also apologies to @Titu , i was calling you Nebu both in the first post and the mention until i noticed it earlier :facepalm: It's probably @neiba fault, he's all i can think about :p
:bawling:
https://media.giphy.com/media/d2W7eZ...iqdi/giphy.gif

No just kidding ;). It's no big deal

Sarge 04-12-17 10:33 AM

The instructions seem to have gone.

So I just watch each of these films and review and rate them by August right?

Do I post my reviews on this thread?

Titu 04-12-17 10:40 AM

When sending the ranked list at the end should we include our own nomination or not?

Titu 04-12-17 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686575)
Originally Posted by Titu (Post 1686573)
When sending the ranked list at the end should we include our own nomination or not?
Yep include your own nomination.
:up:

Sarge 04-12-17 10:55 AM

Starting with 'Buffalo 66' right now. 👍

jiraffejustin 04-12-17 11:28 AM

Interesting hof stat:

The last seven numbered winners have been English language films. In the first five numbered hofs we had six hof winners, due to a tie, and three of those were non-English language films. So, we went from 3/6 to 0/7. Big drop off from foreign language winners. That's not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it is kind of weird. Any thoughts on why this happened?

jiraffejustin 04-12-17 12:00 PM

I think my numbers are off, btw. I think it was 4/6 and 1/8. Someone fact check me please. I'm on my phone and I am too lazy.

jiraffejustin 04-12-17 12:08 PM

Thanks Camo :up:

Thursday Next 04-12-17 01:36 PM

Not playing for real, but here are my thoughts on the ones I have seen:

Dead Poets Society

Not really a fan. There just seems something so cliched about the whole 'inspirational teacher who gets through to kids but is kept down by the establishment' thing. Not one of Peter Weir's best in my book.

Wings of Desire

I think this is a fantastic film, but possibly a hard sell for a hall of fame. It took me three attempts to get into it, and even as a fan I will say that there are parts of it that have a soporific effect :D . But it is thought-provoking as well as gorgeous to look at.

Forbidden Games

I love this film! I was disappointed that it didn't make the fifties list. It is directed by Rene Clement, who also directed Plein Soleil (for those of you who were in the fifth hall of fame). It looks great and the story of loss in world war ii is really touching without being schmaltzy.

Dances With Wolves

I don't remember a lot about this, besides it being long and having lots of scenery, but I remember quite liking it.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter....and Spring.

Not a fan of this one at all. Heavy handed and full of animal cruelty. Looking forward to Miss Vicky's review of this one :rotfl:

I would quite like to see The Quiet Earth, Intouchables, The Hunt and the Marriage of Maria Braun, so I'll keep an eye out for those and post here if I get round to them!

Jeff Costello 04-12-17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1686662)
Not playing for real, but here are my thoughts on the ones I have seen:

Dead Poets Society

Not really a fan. There just seems something so cliched about the whole 'inspirational teacher who gets through to kids but is kept down by the establishment' thing. Not one of Peter Weir's best in my book.

Wings of Desire

I think this is a fantastic film, but possibly a hard sell for a hall of fame. It took me three attempts to get into it, and even as a fan I will say that there are parts of it that have a soporific effect :D . But it is thought-provoking as well as gorgeous to look at.

Forbidden Games

I love this film! I was disappointed that it didn't make the fifties list. It is directed by Rene Clement, who also directed Plein Soleil (for those of you who were in the fifth hall of fame). It looks great and the story of loss in world war ii is really touching without being schmaltzy.

Dances With Wolves

I don't remember a lot about this, besides it being long and having lots of scenery, but I remember quite liking it.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter....and Spring.

Not a fan of this one at all. Heavy handed and full of animal cruelty. Looking forward to Miss Vicky's review of this one :rotfl:

I would quite like to see The Quiet Earth, Intouchables, The Hunt and the Marriage of Maria Braun, so I'll keep an eye out for those and post here if I get round to them!
Plein Soleil is an outstanding film, with a top notch cinematography and a chilling performance by Delon.

Glad to hear it was nominated at some point.

Dani8 04-12-17 02:10 PM

Captain Fantastic - This was good and Viggo was awesome - probably one of his most personal and honest roles. I liked the idea, I liked the story but the execution was as good as I hoped. This was merely a good film but I expected it to be either really good or even great.

The Hunt - Local masterpiece. One of the few Danish films that comes through once in a while and is actually amazing. Great and heartbreaking and depressing little film.
I agree to both comments, MM. I really enjoyed Captain Fantastic a lot more than I thought I would. The acting was excellent.

As for The Hunt, I've seen it a few times and each viewing leaves me curled up in the foetl position. Brilliant film but has a kick like a mule. Also superb acting, and the little girl is amzing.

Nestorio_Miklos 04-12-17 02:36 PM

Thanks Camo for taking care of this!

I must say these are all great nominations and I'm very enthusiastic about the HOF

Buffalo '66 - rewatch
Dead Poet's Society - rewatch but I'm actually rewatching it. I watched first half Monday.
Manchester by the Sea - rewatch - saw it just recently
Dances With Wolves - rewatch
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - rewatch
The Marriage of Maria Braun - rewatch
The Three Musketeers - rewatch - I've seen this version like zillion times and the French one from 1961 too, and read the book of course :D
Captain Fantastic - never seen
The Hunt - rewatch
The Great Dictator - rewatch -
The Broken Circle Breakdown - never seen
Nightmare Alley - never seen
Forbidden Games - rewatch
The Intouchables - rewatch
The Quiet Earth - never seen
Wings of Desire - rewatch

Nestorio_Miklos 04-12-17 02:38 PM

This is so good i can't decide what picture to watch first haha👍👍👍

Nestorio_Miklos 04-12-17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686764)
Before your rewatch; did you like it? If not it's cool, you'll break my heart but i'll live haha.
i actually did like it. And i liked Ricci in it too. :D That's probably only Gallo's picture I like, not that he did many:)

Dani8 04-12-17 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686665)
Oh *****. I didn't even think about that. I'm not dumb just sheltered i think but i always assumed or at least hoped that was somehow fake.
Is it actual animl cruelty? I've never heard of that movie.

Miss Vicky 04-12-17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1686770)
It's real and the director has quite a history of torturing animals in the name of "art."

Dani8 04-12-17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1686779)
Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1686770)
It's real and the director has quite a history of torturing animals in the name of "art."
I don't find anything about torture either animal or human artistic but I'm OK with cams explanation.

Miss Vicky 04-12-17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686786)
Is it all real? I know that doesn't make a difference but there's a quite major thing that i read wasn't real and even if he has a name for that i see no reason why he'd make this part real.
I don't know if it is all real. I watched some clips from it on YouTube and what I saw was most definitely real.

Nestorio_Miklos 04-12-17 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686768)
I really hate Gallo as a person as i've said alot already, he's pretty amazing in this though.
WARNING: "buffalo '66" spoilers below
Probably partially because he is an a-hole for the majority of the film.
Hope you still like it/like it more.

You've seen 12/16? Damn, think that may be the most someone has seen going into one of these hall of fames Hope you enjoy and reconnect with a few, appreciate a few more, etc.
you've motivated me and i've just decided to watch your nom first. to honour the host haha :)

Miss Vicky 04-12-17 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686791)
I've made that exact italicized point multiple times now to you and others, c'mon now. i'm not saying it's better that it wasn't more severe, i'm just saying that it wasn't more severe.
Like I said, I'm going to watch it all. But it's not possible for me to go in with an unbiased opinion. I'll be going into it with a feeling of disgust and it'll basically take a miracle for it to change that into anything remotely positive.

Sarge 04-12-17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686792)
:up:

Sarge is off watching it now, bet he hates it haha.
Got 20 mins in and had to stop...

...because we had visitors. :D

Will get back to it in an hour or so.

Nestorio_Miklos 04-12-17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sarge (Post 1686794)
Got 20 mins in and had to stop...

...because we had visitors. :D

Will get back to it in an hour or so.
just tell them to join you watching :D

Sarge 04-12-17 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nestorio_Miklos (Post 1686798)
just tell them to join you watching :D
:D

They are the kind that would talk through it.

:mad:

Miss Vicky 04-12-17 05:12 PM

Anyway, I'm taking a break for lunch, but I've watched most of Captain Fantastic so I should have a write-up for that later today.

Sarge 04-12-17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1686804)
Best 20 mins of a film you've ever seen of course :cool:
I never judge a film by it's first 20 minutes :D

Clazor 04-12-17 05:18 PM

Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998)
Nominated by Camo
Haven't seen it

Dead Poet's Society (Peter Weir, 1989)
Nominated By Sarge
Haven't seen it, but have enjoyed everything else by Williams (including most recently The World According to Garp, which was amazing!)

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
Nominated By Raul
The first HoF nom I'll actually have to go to the cinema to watch, as it hasn't been released here yet. A local arthouse cinema's showing it on monday, so I guess that's my chance.

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Seen and owned, though I've ever only seen it once, several years ago. Remember liking it then, so I guess a rewatch won't hurt.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003)
Nominated By Nestorio
Have seen it on some lists, but never been sufficiently curious to discover what it is. The comment about animal cruelty has brought it down a few pegs for me allready, but I will try to keep an open mind going forward.

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979)
Nominated By Cricket
Recognize the name of the director, but little else. Not even sure if I've seen any of his movies, but it does look interesting.

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)
Nominated By Edarsenal
Aha, bringing out the big guns here I see, Ed. No joke, after we discussed our favourite adaptations of this story, I found both of these movies a few days later in my movie shop. More or less shrugged my shoulders and thought 'what the heck'. Bought them both on the spot and put them in my unseen pile. They still remain there, but now I guess I've got no excuse.

Nominated By PussyGalore
Been wanting to see this since I first heard about it. Mortensen is always a interesting watch, and I liked this setup. Looking forward to this one.

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)
Nominated By Neiba
Haven't seen this, looks interesting. As with Mortensen, Mikkelsen is always an entertaining watch (excluding Valhalla Rising, what in the everloving f***?)

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)
Nominated By SilentVamp
Was supposed to watch this for a film class when I was in high school, but missed it. Was supposed to write a paper on it too, but didn't do that either. Still came away with an A in that class. I guess it's time to make up for being lazy.

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix Van Groeningen, 2012)
Nominated By ScarlettLion
Haven't heard of this one.

Haven't heard of this either, but if you say it contains magic, then it has piqued my interest. Practical or actual magic?

Forbidden Games (Rene Clement, 1952)
Nominated By Jeff Costello
Don't know anything about this one

The Intouchables (Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano, 2012)
Nominated By Nebu
Funny and charming, and totally they way I'd pick a assistant if I were in his shoes. (in his chair?) Highly entertaining and I'm looking forward to the rewatch

The Quiet Earth (Goeff Murphy, 1985)
Nominated By Clazor
I think I've taken the lead in the chategory "least people have heard of" for this HoF. Don't think I've read that anyone has actually seen this, and only one that was aware of it before. I take this to mean that I've stumbled across a hidden gem that everyone will like and will go on to win this HoF! ;)

It was a toss up for me between this and three other noms. In the end, as I said, it came down to a hat and a blind draw. Looking at it now, I'm so glad I pulled this one. I stumbled across this in my pursuit for sci-fi movies to watch for the top 100 countdown, and in the end it made my list. Hopefully some of you will actually find this to be worth your time.

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
Nominated By Cosmic
Heard of this, but haven't seen it. As previously stated by Ed, I've liked what movies Cosmic has nominated before, so I'm sure I'll like this one too.

Citizen Rules 04-12-17 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Clazor (Post 1686806)

Haven't heard of this either, but if you say it contains magic, then it has piqued my interest. Practical or actual magic?
Carnival magic;)

rauldc14 04-12-17 08:06 PM

I'm going to kick this off with Three Musketeers. That will probably happen on Friday.

edarsenal 04-12-17 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1686859)
Carnival magic;)
CARNIVAL magic, ya say. Curiouser and Curiouser!!

Hope ya enjoy Three Musketeers, Raul!

NO IDEA WHICH movie to start on, for me. SO MANY GREAT CHOICES AAAAAH

edarsenal 04-12-17 10:09 PM

second best, after you, my friend! ;)
@Camo Wanted to comment on your reviews but nearly all of them are ones I haven't seen and since you have a great perspective on films It's almost a two edged blade when seeing something I haven't yet. Depending on how much I would like or not want to know when going in. So I do quick glances and comeback later to delve in more deeply to appreciate the insight.

Buffalo, as I stated, I saw only once when it first came out, so, as I was reading I realized I needed to stop and wait.
I'm also one of those that are bias about Dead Poets so I happily enjoyed reading that one and appreciated your views on it.
I'm curious to pick your brain on Hawke's character standing in front of the class and spouting poetry with his eyes closed and how it made you cringe. It always struck me as one of those "moments of improv" that can be quite exciting.
So, I'd love to hear a little more in depth, if you'd wish to share.

edarsenal 04-12-17 10:14 PM

i think I missed something. . .

which part caused the angry face?

Miss Vicky 04-12-17 10:32 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...nfantastic.gif

Imdb

Date Watched: 04/12/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, Pussy Galore's Nomination
Rewatch: No.

I'd never heard of this movie before its nomination in the Hall of Fame and going in I must admit the poster had me kind of worried. The vivid colors and quirky looking people had me concerned this might be a Wes Anderson-esque experience.

Thankfully it wasn't that, but the story it told and its eccentric characters were pretty unlike anything I've seen. However, like a Wes Anderson film, I struggled to connect with the characters - though not because they were stilted like those in Anderson's films. There was definitely a sense of genuine emotion and humanity with them, but I found Viggo Mortensen's patriarch Ben in particular to be pretty damn unlikable for most of the movie. He did eventually redeem himself but by that time I still cared very little for him. I also found the children to be mostly irritating, perhaps with the exception of Rellion, who was the only one to question his father's methods. Ben's in-laws were not especially likable either, but I found myself siding with the father in-law over the film's main conflict.

But, characters aside, the story was good. I did find Ben's viewpoint on life and on the raising of children to be interesting and some aspects of his philosophy definitely had merit. I also liked the way the clash between Ben's idealism and the reality of society was presented, particularly in Bodevan's struggles to interact with regular people. There were also some genuinely heartfelt and funny scenes but ultimately, while still good, Captain Fantastic did not grab me in the way a film like this should.

+

Jeff Costello 04-13-17 05:03 AM

Just finished with my 4th viewing of "The Intouchables" ... I'll post a write-up soon.

ScarletLion 04-13-17 05:51 AM

'The Quiet Earth' (1985)

http://i.imgur.com/SsBa8E0.jpg
I had this film ready to go last week, so was happy when I saw it nominated for the HoF. It's the type of sci-fi film I tend to enjoy these days; cerebral, no monsters / aliens / long action sequences, very ambiguous and with a massive dose of mystery. Zac wakes to find himself alone in the world, and we follow his travails across New Zealand as he searches for answers to why the earth is like it is, what caused it, and what can be done to help.

It felt like a long TV episode that Lost, Last Man on Earth and The Outer Limits were based on. And that's a compliment. The movie is dated and the acting sometimes falls below par - that has to be said, and the "effects" are obviously of the time, but it's easy to look past that because the viewer is concentrating on the mystery element, which never leaves us right from minute 1. We are thrust into this eerie world knowing that there is some sort of other worldly explanation. Whether we finally find that out at the very end is not clear.

WARNING: "The Quiet Earth" spoilers below
I took the meaning of the film to be one of existentialism and the value of human relationships and in particular the patriarchal nature of society. But you could equally see that the film can be dissected as a study of religion. Are they in purgatory? Does Zac enter heaven (or hell) at the very end? It's up to you.

[I also couldn't stop thinking that Api resembled a Maori version of Lionel Ritchie. But whatever.]

It's a very interesting movie and one which I'd recommend despite not having the best cast.

The score by John Charles is also fantastic.

I'd give it 7.5/10

Sarge 04-13-17 07:42 AM

http://www.impawards.com/1998/poster...y_six_ver1.jpg

Buffalo 66

Release date: 2 October 1998
Director: Vincent Gallo
Cinematography: Lance Acord
Screenplay: Vincent Gallo, Alison Bagnall

I had never heard of this film before the nomination to this HoF.
I knew that Vincent Gallo is a controversial figure, but wasn't fully sure why, and chose not to research this until after I had viewed the film, so that I could judge the film on it's own merits.

From the opening scene of this film I loved the cinematography and that continued for the full length of the film.
As I knew so little about this film, I was also really intrigued to see what story would unfold.
The film starts with Billy Brown leaving prison and making his way home. He is also looking for a toilet/bathroom. The search for a toilet leads to Billy seeing an opportunity to make a lie seem true, and sets the story into motion.

http://cineplex.media.baselineresear...76203_full.jpg

What I liked

Cinematography - As I have said, I loved the way the film was shot. It was very classy and somehow gave a greater sense of realism to the film for me.
The colour palette and composition are an outstanding feature of this film. It was Lance Acords feature debut and it was breathtaking.
Acting - As I said, I had never heard of this film before the nomination and had chosen not to read anything about it before viewing. Therefore I didn't realise that Gallo was the lead until after I had watched it. In my opinion he was superb. He portrayed a deeply complex and affected young man superbly. I disliked the character and cared deeply for him in equal measure, and that is a credit to the acting. I didn't realise Ricci was in this until she appeared on screen and was pleasantly surprised, as I am a fan of her work and consider her to be a seriously under rated actress. She was once again excellent.
The quality of acting from the two leads, gave the film a greater authority and sense of realism.
Characters- The two lead characters were multi layered and beautifully complex. That was true of the supporting characters too. They were all so weird and eccentric that it made them feel more real and sincere.
Screenplay - This was a really well written story the character of Billy Brown was initially easy to dislike but a glimpse into his past and to his family gave an understanding of that, which then led my to sympathy and pity.

http://sensanostra.com/wp-content/up...lu-ray_x01.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1b07ff0544.jpg

What could have been better

I am not sure a lot could have been done better. The flashback sequences were a bit weird as they blocked in.
There was little background to Ricci's character, but I would assume that was intentional as the focus was on Billy.
I fluctuated between thinking that the story was really believable and utterly ridiculous and still don't know where I ultimately landed.

Summary

I really enjoyed this film. I wasn't sure that I would and neither was Camo.
Well, I say enjoyed, but I mean I appreciated it's quality throughout and then the last 5 minutes led to it being a film that i 'enjoyed'.
It is a very raw and sincere film that has a sensitivity to it.
Overall, I think it is a great piece of work with a genuine undercurrent of complexity to the characters.

ScarletLion 04-13-17 08:11 AM

'Manchester by the Sea'

This is the review I gave after watching it at the time. My feelings are still the same on re-watch.

http://i.imgur.com/cH5hPdD.jpg

Once in a while, a film will make you shake yourself down, and it will take hours maybe even a couple of days to get your real self back. This is one of them.

From the very first minutes, Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams and the rest of the cast just transport you into their world. So much so that you feel like you're sitting in the corner of the room just watching them go about their daily business.

It's one of those movies that you think you are done with the grit in your eye - then a larger piece of grit appears. Then an even larger one. At the end of the movie I was reduced to a wreck and just felt like curling up in the fetal position for a few hours.

Some may question why one would want to experience this feeling. But the answer is for me at least, it is a cinematic emotion that I so rarely go through, that I know, when I have it - I have just seen something and experienced something that very few other movies have made me experience. This film conjured up memories of watching 'Dear Zachary' (a devastating documentary) and 'Blue Valentine' (another Michelle Williams movie).

What we learn about the characters in this movie is tragic. The first half is a journey into why Casey Affleck's character Lee Chandler is so aloof, distant and angry. When the reveal comes you begin to wonder what the movie has left to tell us. But the manner in which it resolves (or doesn't) the plots and subplots is masterful. Kenneth Lonergan has simply created a masterpiece of drama that is up there with the very best American dramas of the decade. He truly is a master script writer, a wonderful director and even appears in this film himself.

The scene in which Williams and Affleck meet towards the end of the movie just has to be seen to be believed. The dialogue, the mannerisms and the circumstances all meet to create one perfect storm of bubbling, weepy, tearful masterwork that has to go down as one of the most heart-wrenchingly brilliant scenes in recent cinema.

The movie is so achingly brilliant that in the days after watching, not only did I not stop thinking about it for almost every waking moment, but I also had doubts whether I would again ever feel the same way about another movie. I am sure I will, but I would guess not for a long time. This movie will stand the test of time as a masterpiece of modern drama. Was it oscar-bait? Maybe but I got snagged on the hook and I couldn't care less. 10 out of 10.

rauldc14 04-13-17 08:14 AM

I couldn't say it any better, Scarlet. Thanks for that write up.

cricket 04-13-17 09:12 AM

I had said somewhere that I hadn't seen this movie in about 30 years. It was probably more like 35 plus years. I remembered loving it as a kid, but I could only remember sporadic images from the movie. I picked it randomly out of all the nominations to watch last night. If I had put any thought into it, it probably would have been best to watch it somewhere in the middle of the other nominations. It's a lighthearted movie compared to the others, and it would have been a good break from the more serious movies that are leftover. My taste is obviously very different from when I saw this as a kid, and that was a big concern for me as I now prefer darker movies. I'm also not a big fan of costume type flicks.

This movie starts out strong and then is well paced throughout. Even if it's not my normal type of humor, I thought there were consistent laughs, although there were moments that felt silly. There's also plenty of action. I thought Oliver Reed and Michael York were the standouts of a pretty deep cast. Reed is always someone I enjoy watching while I'm less familiar with York. Raquel Welch and Faye Dunaway both looked terrific. The sets and costumes all look good, and the musical score was appropriate and effective. It's not the kind of movie I love anymore, but it's entertaining and well done at the very least. I think it's a movie that's hard not to enjoy to some degree.

rauldc14 04-13-17 12:52 PM

Talking about the best HOFs we had, I would certainly opt for the 4th and 5th. I thought the 11th was perhaps the weakest. From top to bottom, anyways.

Clazor 04-13-17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1687196)
'The Quiet Earth' (1985)
Glad you liked it, Scarlet.

I actually liked the actors throughout the movie, but I get what you're saying. I believe it's a first time acting job for both "Maori Little Richard" and the female co-star, but the guy playing Zac was awesome. He has this subtle shift going as he slowly loses touch with reality and the lonlieness gets to him. A really well done performance.

Jeff Costello 04-13-17 05:06 PM

The Intouchables

I was really happy to see "The Intouchables" nominated for this HoF. Now I've seen it 3 times before, but I still decided it to watch it ,and I ended up really enjoying it once again. I believe that's a true testament to how enjoyable and entertaining this film is, that it holds so well after so many watches. The film tells a simple story about a young unemployed man, with a criminal record named Driss, who ends up being a care giver to a wealthy quadriplegic Phillipe. But the thing is Driss is nothing like people, Phillipe's surrounded with. He's loud, vulgar and hyperactive, however Phillipe enjoys his company, because he's the only one who doesn't pity him and he ultimately proves to be pretty good at caring for Phillipe.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....zNTI@._V1_.jpg

The main assets of this film, which made me return to it so many times are its humour and lightheartedness. Literally every scene with Driss and Phillipe is a comedy gold. I like how their characters are total opposites, with an entirely different upbringings and cultural backrounds. You have Driss on one side, who listens to Earth&Wind&Fire and Phillipe on the other, who enjoys classical pieces. Yet, they mash together so well. Truly one of the most unique and beautiful friendships ever put on screen.

Despite being comical, "The Intouchables" is a very moving and uplifting fim aswell, with a great inspirational message.

In the end , this film may not possess the biggest emotional prowess or the most complex plotline and it can be a bit sentimental and cliche at times, but if there's one thing I'm sure it possesses ; is the ability to put a smile on the viewer's face, with its incredibly human story.

edarsenal 04-13-17 09:56 PM

And we are off and running with a number of reviews!! VERY nice!
@Miss Vicky Got a lot of respect for your straight-forward reviews and glad to hear a little bit about this movie.

@ScarletLion Can't remember if I've ever read any of your reviews so it's kinda cool to do so now. Got a kick out of some of your descriptive writing "It's one of those movies that you think you are done with the grit in your eye - then a larger piece of grit appears." for Manchester.
Also enjoyed The Quiet Earth; I've enjoyed a lot of @Clazor's picks so far. They have a great quirky, off-center feel to them and this looks to be another such movie. Thanks for the insight!

@Sarge good solid pro & con of Buffalo 66. Scarcely remember this one since it came out and with yours and @Camo's review little snippets are beginning to come back to me.

@cricket You do me honor. Considering the movies you enjoy watching, I wasn't sure if this was going to work for you.
"It's not the kind of movie I love anymore, but it's entertaining and well done at the very least. I think it's a movie that's hard not to enjoy to some degree."
And I take that as a compliment, thank you.

@Jeff Costello I've popped in and out of your review thread and very happy to see you reviewing one that that has been on my radar for movies I've been wanting to see. Even more happy to hear that it delivers on the points that got me curious about it in the first place.

Miss Vicky 04-14-17 01:48 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...ringsummer.gif

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom) (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/13/17
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, Nestorio_Miklos's Nomination

Potential Spoilers Ahead

Full disclosure: I did not go into this film with an open mind. Before watching it, I was made aware that it contained actual animal cruelty and I went into it fully expecting to be disgusted by it. Before watching the film, I also did a bit of research and discovered that the actual torture of animals is common in Kim Ki-Duk's films. I also found a video montage of various scenes of cruelty from those films, which included some scenes from Spring, Summer that were not included in the cut of the film that I watched. Here's the link for that video (Contains graphic, potentially disturbing content): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrA4BIGlvqg

The film attempts to convey the concepts of cruelty, lust, guilt, anger, and rebirth. Unfortunately, not all of these concepts are handled with much subtlety and the idea of cruelty and guilt in particular were hammered in ad nauseum. This is especially true of those scenes of animal torture that I was warned about, which are shown in the beginning and then repeated later in the film - intercut with scenes of the central character inflicting similar punishment upon himself, as if we the audience couldn't make the connection on our own and needed the heavy-handed reminder. :rolleyes:

As to the nature of that brutality, let me spell it out: a child is shown torturing a fish, a frog, and a snake by tightly tying them to stones and laughing with delight as they struggle to move. Later the fish and snake are shown dead and the frog is shown still struggling. More sickening still are the scenes that were cut from the American release of the film, which is the version I watched. The American cut shows a second child tormenting a turtle by rolling it around and poking at it, merely hinting at this child's cruel nature. But the version seen elsewhere shows that child wedging rocks into the mouths of a fish, a snake, and a frog while gleefully laughing at their suffering. We see the frog - an air-breathing creature - upside down in the water, its head pulled down from the weight of the stone, kicking in a vain attempt to free itself from the object that will otherwise drown it.

While it is, of course, unclear whether the dead animals were in fact the same as those shown being abused or if they were killed specifically for the film, it is apparent that the director has little regard for the lives and safety of the animals he uses, despite the message of the film he created. And given his history of torturing and killing these kinds of animals in other films, I can only assume that he is responsible for these deaths as well.

That said, the film is not without its strengths. The cinematography is beautiful, the performances are strong, and the concept is admirable (though the execution is not). But frankly I don't give a s*** about what Spring, Summer does right, because what it does wrong is completely unnecessary and unacceptable.

-

rauldc14 04-14-17 02:06 AM

Ratings wise, for the first viewing we weren't far off MV.

CosmicRunaway 04-14-17 06:27 AM

A lot of great write-ups already! I only skimmed through the ones for films I haven't seen yet to avoid spoilers, but I'll go back and read them fully once I have seen the films in question.

I don't know what I'd like to watch first. Possibly Captain Fantastic or The Hunt. I plan to have at least one of those films plus a write-up for either Manchester by the Sea or The Great Dictator posted by the end of the weekend.

ScarletLion 04-14-17 09:15 AM

This is a simple movie done very well. I'd not really heard much about Vincent Gallo other than his appearance in 'Essential Killing' and never heard of this movie before this week, but he sure is one talented guy. Music, direction, script and lead character all in one. At it's heart, this is a character driven chamber piece exploring the mind of a troubled, unloved rogue terrified of women and commitment due to the harsh dysfunctional upbringing experienced. But it's also a very beautiful portrayal of love, performed through some improvised dialogue (presumably?) with a huge pay off in the third act.

2 huge performances from Gallo and Ricci, together with some lovely lighting make it quite a memorable drama. I'd say that a few of the scenes didn't work with the score - at one point there was an almost noir piece of music for the scene in the motel which I thought was misplaced.

But overall it's a gem which I'm delighted to have found. A solid 7.5/10

rauldc14 04-14-17 01:32 PM

The Three Musketeers

http://rarefilm.net/wp-content/uploa...ers-1973-4.jpg

Let it be known that I am not very well versed in the history of the story of the Three Musketeers. Perhaps that is why I had such a hard time with it. I feel that the movie tried to overblend comedy with the action. I actually found a lot of the jokes to be funny. But it really lessened how I felt about the action sequences, which came off as pure cheese. Like when the storage chest flipped over and his hand got stuck in it, I rolled my eyes a bit. Same with when the polar bear ended up saving him. Was this what they were actually going for? Probably, but it's usually something that I have a hard time going for, especially with something that comes off as a fairytale historical piece.

I liked the sets and I did like a majority of the cast. I thought the costumes were well done and they gave the film a nice period piece feel. It's the story that is the big problem for me. I think it is half on me and half on the structure of the film. If I had to guess correctly this is one of those films that nostalgia really is needed to love, could be wrong about that. Either way, it was nice to finally see a Musketeers film even if it didn't really work for me.

SilentVamp 04-14-17 07:30 PM

I will be starting this a lot sooner than I anticipated. Here I said that I would have to wait awhile for Manchester By the Sea, but it came into the library already. I picked it up today. And as there are many requests on it, I won't be able to renew it. So this will be watched within the next few days.

edarsenal 04-14-17 07:39 PM

this is one time when spoilers is helpful in preparation for this movie, thanks, Vicky!

And one more strong review from Scarlet - very nice

and thanks Raul for posting your thoughts; the sets and the costumes are pretty incredible and the mix of comedic and serious action won't be for everyone and like with anything, it'll work for you or it won't. :)

Citizen Rules 04-14-17 07:50 PM

I'm waiting for my movies to come into my library, so no reviews for me until the beginning of next week.

edarsenal 04-14-17 08:05 PM

I'm waiting on Wings of Desire and Intouchables from my library, should be getting them by Monday

rauldc14 04-14-17 08:05 PM

I'm going to get to Nightmare Alley tonight!

edarsenal 04-14-17 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1687888)
I'm going to get to Nightmare Alley tonight!
read up a little on that one, it actually sounds familiar, looking forward to hearing what ya have to say about it

rauldc14 04-14-17 10:30 PM

Nightmare Alley Potential Spoilers

http://www.midnightonly.com/wp-conte...e-alley-12.jpg

A nice little change up from a typical film noir. I hadn't even heard of this film prior to seeing it nominated here, and that's quite surprising giving how solid it was. I liked the setting of the carnival and I liked the set up to how we are introduced to the characters. Zeena is the lead to her show with her sidekick Stanton and an even lesser sidekick Molly. But it all changes once Pete (Zeenas husband) drinks the wrong bottle of moonshine and dies. Eventually Stanton is kicked out as he and Molly have become an item.

Stanton's past haunts him as he regrets what he did to Pete. Stanton is played brilliantly by Tyrone Power, who was also excellent in Witness for the Prosecution. He is surely the acting highlight of the film. But I really, really liked Coleen Gray (who apparently I've seen in other stuff but just didn't think too much of her). Joan Blondell and Helen Walker give great performances as well. It's the performances that make the film flow real well and keep it interesting.

My favorite part was when Molly attempted to ask as a ghost as Grindles wife, but then we see the scene take an unexpected turn. I thought that was really well done and a standout piece for me.

I go back and forth on how I liked the ending. Acting wise it was well done, but story wise I think it could have been done more effectively. Perhaps seeing it again would change my opinion but I was quite impressed overall with the film. I think it does good but not great overall in this HOF. I'm glad it was nominated as it's definitely looking like it's criminally underseen yet it's respected by many online reviewers.

+

Miss Vicky 04-15-17 02:58 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...atdictator.gif

The Great Dictator (Charles Chaplin, 1940)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/14/17
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, Silent Vamp's Nomination

Charlie Chaplin was a man of great skill and - as the film's writer, director, and star - his skills were on full display here. The concept of The Great Dictator is quite brilliant, the film itself looked great, and the timing and physicality of Chaplin's dual performances are very impressive.

That said, I had a tough time with this one. While some of the gags nearly brought a smile to my face, most of them - like those in the other Chaplin films I've seen - simply fell flat for me. This isn't really the fault of the film, though. I can definitely see how someone who appreciates slapstick/physical comedy would enjoy the film, but that type of comedy just doesn't appeal to me. Making matters worse, the repetition of some of these gags made the film's two hour run time feel considerably longer and at times I struggled to engage. However, the situation improved considerably by the film's final scene. And it's mostly for that scene that I give The Great Dictator a favorable rating. The barber's speech was poignant, moving, and still relevant all these many years later.

-

Nestorio_Miklos 04-15-17 05:08 AM

Buffalo '66

Vincent Gallo is to me this unkempt type of guy with danger radiating from his eyes. He looks like a guy who likes to stir problems. Buffalo '66 is also kind of unkempt film but in a good way. I really like the feature and this was my fourth watch. It is very real and unusual at the same time. I mean Billy desperately looking for a washroom finding himself in a dance school. Then calling his parents and Layla just came in handy so he simply kidnaps her to pretend to be his wife. I love the way how Gallo manages to describe his life story, his character, and relationship with his parents, his traumas, pains in 24-hour-story.

http://i.imgur.com/7FIjf4x.png
WARNING: "possible" spoilers below
I love that change from a guy full of anger to this gentle guy who manages to smile and finally be nice.
I like cinematography, camera, flashback sequences, score, plot, acting and Gallo showed an interesting way to meet girls haha. This is one complete piece of cinema and there is nothing to add or remove, it’s perfect as is.
Great nom Camo!

Sarge 04-15-17 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1687926)
Caught up with the reviews, great start guys :up:

@ScarletLion @Sarge So glad you guys liked my nom :up:. Good reviews.

Won't be able to watch anything tonight as it's late here, but i'll be watching Nightmare Alley tomorrow.
And you thought that I would hate it.

First ever HoF viewing and I enjoyed it. Bar set high. Will get round to another one today.

Jeff Costello 04-15-17 05:44 AM

I'm watching Ed's nomination tonight !

rauldc14 04-15-17 12:48 PM

I'm going to aim for CosmicRunway's nomination today. No guarantees though.

Nestorio_Miklos 04-15-17 01:31 PM

Dead Poets Society

I saw it first time back in 90s and I wonder why I’ve never revisited this feature again. Well, I guess because something just wasn’t fitting in the story. I mean it all started very good. New school year begins and there he is Mr Keating, cool new English teacher with his unconventional methods who teaches his students to think for themselves, to think freely. And they are indeed inspired starting Dead Poets Society, searching their true feelings, searching their true talents, becoming more opened, breaking down that shell of conventionality. Up until now everything was great but then all those unreal twists arrived.
http://i.imgur.com/up5eh7P.jpg
WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Like Neil’s father getting all upset about Neil taking part in a play even though he’s got straight A’s. for me this was unreal. All that sternness of his father. It was overdone. Subsequently Neil’s suicide was also unreal for how the movie’s mood was set. Also Richard suddenly ratting out Mr Keating. I mean it was real, he just wanted to save his skin however he was overly convinced about Keating being responsible for Neil's suicide. It was unreal to me. It was like a coat with so many holes and someone would sew all kinds of colourful patches that don’t fit any more. Even that scene Mr Nolan striking, I think Knox, with that cricket bat was unreal to me. I thought he would yell at him or put him to suspension or similar. It just didn’t fit there.

But hey, if the movie didn’t work for me it doesn’t mean it is a bad movie. If only one person from hundred was inspired and it’s changed their life then it works and the movie has its purpose.:):):):up::up::up:

Nestorio_Miklos 04-15-17 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1688159)
Glad you still liked Buffalo '66 Nestorio, great review :up:

WARNING: "buffalo" spoilers below
Your "I love that change from a guy full of anger to this gentle guy who manages to smile and finally be nice." line is exactly it. I adored the ending.
yeah, i was so relieved. i actually laughed when he was saying "easy easy easy" , nothing funny about that i was only glad
WARNING: "buffalo" spoilers below
he was finally happy
:) i think this feature matures well.

Jeff Costello 04-15-17 06:38 PM

The Three Musketeers

As it turned out, this was actually my first time seeing this film and I must admit, it was a great goofy fun. The old Victorian charm and humour were really amplified, and eventough some jokes were funnier than the rest, the film in general was hysterical and I had several laugh out loud moments, throughout its course. The rich and talented cast was fully mobilized and most of them really strived in their comedic roles. My favourite performance was by Jean-Pierre Cassel, who really excelled as a clueless King Louis VII. But not too much behind him was Michael York, with his enthusiastic and energetic performance, as a young, naive and ambitous D'Artagnan.

http://www.davidmullenasc.com/musketeers4.jpg

The costumography was top notch , as well as the nice rustical and authentic settings. Film's fast pace appealed to me greatly, as there was literally not a single boring moment and I was really enjoying it every second. I also liked how the film captured perfect blend of adventure, romance and battle scenes. The same battle scenes were my favourites. They were well choreographed and entertaining. I particularly liked how the sword fights were made, as a delicate and calculated game, with lots of swift and unpredictable movements.

Ultimately this was a fun, fast-paced adventure flick, with a suprisingly good photography, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great nomination Ed !

cricket 04-15-17 06:43 PM

Nice to see that worked for you as intended. Lighthearted movies don't usually do well in the Hall of Fames. I think that movie does what it does well and just needs the right audience.

Citizen Rules 04-15-17 07:03 PM

Agreed...comedies have a hard time in Hofs, though I'm very glad people nominate them. I almost nominated a comedy myself. I don't see a musical ever winning a main Hof.

Comedies, musicals, religious movies, extreme graphic violence, animal torture will almost always be at a disadvantage, over straight dramas in a main Hof.

CosmicRunaway 04-15-17 09:33 PM

I just watched The Hunt. I wanted to get my write-up finished, but I didn't realize how late it was, so it looks like I'm going to be sleeping on it. Hopefully in the morning I'll have something more to say other than "children are awful, adults are worse" which is about all I have right now. :lol:

edarsenal 04-15-17 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Costello (Post 1688231)
The Three Musketeers

As it turned out, this was actually my first time seeing this film and I must admit, it was a great goofy fun. The old Victorian charm and humour were really amplified, and eventough some jokes were funnier than the rest, the film in general was hysterical and I had several laugh out loud moments, throughout its course. The rich and talented cast was fully mobilized and most of them really strived in their comedic roles. My favourite performance was by Jean-Pierre Cassel, who really excelled as a clueless King Louis VII. But not too much behind him was Michael York, with his enthusiastic and energetic performance, as a young, naive and ambitous D'Artagnan.

http://www.davidmullenasc.com/musketeers4.jpg

The costumography was top notch , as well as the nice rustical and authentic settings. Film's fast pace appealed to me greatly, as there was literally not a single boring moment and I was really enjoying it every second. I also liked how the film captured perfect blend of adventure, romance and battle scenes. The same battle scenes were my favourites. They were well choreographed and entertaining. I particularly liked how the sword fights were made, as a delicate and calculated game, with lots of swift and unpredictable movements.

Ultimately this was a fun, fast-paced adventure flick, with a suprisingly good photography, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great nomination Ed !
I had a feeling this MAY be up your alley, very happy to hear that it was. The cast IS rather rich with talent. Cassel's nuances were brilliant. Like so many others in this.
And on a side note, in that photo is Geraldine Chaplin, first daughter to Charlie Chaplin's fourth wife, Oona, who stayed with Charlie for the rest of his days.
For the fights, I actually enjoyed that some aspects were more realistic, not so over the top. Specifically with Oliver Reed's Athos who fought like an ex-soldier would; what ever way works.

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1688233)
Nice to see that worked for you as intended. Lighthearted movies don't usually do well in the Hall of Fames. I think that movie does what it does well and just needs the right audience.
Aptly put.

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1688235)
That's definitely true. Looking at the winners in Seans post i'd say the only film that could maybe be called lighthearted to win a general one is Empire Strikes Back. And that has hand chopping and incest revelations haha. Out of the other Hall of Fames: Beauty & The Beast and Wall-E are the only ones (i've seen) that i think come close to that and that was because they were both in Animated HOFs, and both aren't really "lighthearted". Think what i think of as lighthearted involves a decent amount of humour and that's something that is really difficult to get right for any number of random people. A Comedy HOF that works now that we've stopped arguing about this stuff for the most part would be really interesting, i think it would all be very close as more than anything in film people are divided by comedy i feel.

MoFo likes their heavy dramas is basically what any aspiring hall of fame winner should remember.
LOL I'll have to keep that mind -- at some point, anyway lol

Comedy and light-hearted films ARE a tough sell with HoFs while at the same time to stop nominating them would lessened the really great diversity of these. Which, I know for a fact, no is saying. They're just a hard sell.

It is an interesting observation though.
With just about any other genre; mystery, sci-fi, drama, action, while things may work or not work for any given viewer, they'll simply focus elsewhere. For some odd reason, if a comedy DOESN'T work, I think, the viewer gets more disgruntled. We refuse to find anything, or find ourselves incapable of any attempt to find something else that is enjoyable in it.
In the Musical HoF I had trouble watching Tenacious D and since the comedic aspect didn't work, I had trouble enjoying the music or anything else in it.
Now, speaking of Y Tuma, seeing Camo mention it in a previous post; being over 50, watching horny young men made me roll my eyes. BUT, I still really enjoyed the camera work, the really beautiful landscapes, I got involved in the narration and, I was happily blown away by the final act and the understanding of what the "real message" of the movie was about.
If it was a comedy that I didn't enjoy, would I have appreciated all of that? Maybe, but the probability is marginally less.

Dani8 04-15-17 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 1688300)
I just watched The Hunt. I wanted to get my write-up finished, but I didn't realize how late it was, so it looks like I'm going to be sleeping on it. Hopefully in the morning I'll have something more to say other than "children are awful, adults are worse" which is about all I have right now. :lol:
Looking forward to reading your review cosmic

CosmicRunaway 04-15-17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1688301)
For some odd reason, if a comedy DOESN'T work, I think, the viewer gets more disgruntled. We refuse to find anything, or find ourselves incapable of any attempt to find something else that is enjoyable in it.
In the Musical HoF I had trouble watching Tenacious D and since the comedic aspect didn't work, I had trouble enjoying the music or anything else in it.
I sort of had the opposite experience with The Pick of Destiny. I liked the music so much that I was much more forgiving when some of the comedic elements didn't work for me. But I was familiar with Tenacious D before seeing the film, and also knew exactly what to expect from seeing a few clips previously.

But I agree that if a film centres around its comedic aspects, if that brand of humour doesn't work for the audience, then it's likely going to ruin the experience. It's really hard to sit through an unfunny comedy if there's nothing else to catch your attention, so it's easy to let resentment build up.

rauldc14 04-15-17 09:47 PM

Wings of Desire

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org....?itok=Wwz8CJjc

Previously I had only seen Wim Wenders Paris in Texas, which I was very impressed with. I had been happy to see that this film was nominated as I wanted to get to another one of his films.

First off, the film is gorgeous. The sharp contrast in the black and white images was a real treat, and I enjoyed when it toggled back and forth between color and the black and white scenes. I really liked it especially when it did that to differentiate the point of views.

That being said, I couldn't get into the story until Damiel became human. I almost feel as if either the film was pointless up to that point, or just that the film had no real story until that occurred. I will definitely be keeping this film on my radar as far as the discussion goes in her so I can get a better idea of how to interpret it.

I thought the scene near the end was really beautiful, with Damiel and Marion getting together, that was definitely my favorite scene in the film. Perhaps after I get a better interpretation I will watch it again. It seems like a film that is deep to digest, almost like a Bergman film in a way. After the first viewing though, it was an unfortunate tough sell.

+

CosmicRunaway 04-15-17 09:59 PM

I haven't seen Wings of Desire in ages, so I definitely need to rewatch it before I can discuss it fully, but I totally agree with everything you've said Raul. There is a distinct lack of real plot for a long stretch of the film, which has a tendency to divide audiences. A lot of people have mentioned that it took them two or three viewings to really appreciate the opening parts of the film, so I'm not at all surprised by how you received it.

From what I recall, Berlin itself plays a major role in the opening act or two, with the locations telling a story that's not present in the dialogue or events. The German title of the film, Der Himmel über Berlin can mean both "the sky over Berlin" or "Heaven over Berlin", which is a wholly appropriate title in my opinion, so taking "Berlin" out of the English title really does a disservice to the setting of the film which (again, if I recall correctly) Wenders has said is integral to appreciating those early scenes.

edarsenal 04-15-17 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nestorio_Miklos (Post 1688155)
Dead Poets Society

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Like Neil’s father getting all upset about Neil taking part in a play even though he’s got straight A’s. for me this was unreal. All that sternness of his father. It was overdone. Subsequently Neil’s suicide was also unreal for how the movie’s mood was set. Also Richard suddenly ratting out Mr Keating. I mean it was real, he just wanted to save his skin however he was overly convinced about Keating being responsible for Neil's suicide. It was unreal to me. It was like a coat with so many holes and someone would sew all kinds of colourful patches that don’t fit any more. Even that scene Mr Nolan striking, I think Knox, with that cricket bat was unreal to me. I thought he would yell at him or put him to suspension or similar. It just didn’t fit there.
great lil review; wanted to try to answer a few of your questions in your spoilers
WARNING: "hope this helps" spoilers below
Neil's father grew up poor and worked to get the money to get his son into a school that would get him a far better life. The idea of his son doing something that was going to put him in the poor house JUST WOULD NOT do. Also, he didn't have the "words" to tell him this. He was just terrified for his son making a huge mistake and got enraged/protective.
Also, this wasn't something Neil wanted to do on the side for fun. It was what, he felt, he was born to do. And when he couldn't "be" that... well, nothing else would matter.
Richard did firmly believe if Neil simply "went along" with what he was told to do and the life that was being prepared for him, he'd still be alive. Richard Is a VERY practical and conservative person. He played it safe when he didn't follow along. Which is also why he kept his head down at the very end. The courageous act would never be him and he wasn't happy about that truth and would not change it. Hence, remaining in his chair.
And, finally, the disciplinary action was a pretty common thing during that time, but I can understand how it "didn't fit" for you.

Miss Vicky 04-16-17 02:09 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...gsofdesire.gif

Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin) (Wim Wenders, 1987)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/15/17
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, CosmicRunaway's Nomination

Well, that was... that was something. Something that I didn't like. Something that seemed to drag on endlessly. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily against films that are quietly contemplative. When done well it can be a very moving and emotional experience. But this wasn't that. It wasn't that for me at all.

From a visual standpoint, Wings of Desire is absolutely gorgeous. Whether the scenes were in black and white or in vivid color, the images were breathtaking and evocative. I also really liked the basic concept of the film and felt there was some definite potential in it, but my praise for it really ends there.

The constant repetition of certain phrases ("When the child was a child..."), the near total lack of humor, and the endless droning of people's ridiculously melancholy thoughts combined to nearly eliminate my interest in it. I felt every damn minute of its two hour run time and actually ended up taking a break about 2/3 of the way through. I get that there is beauty in most things, including sadness and despair, but I really didn't buy that the rather narrow view of life that the film presented would be enough to ignite the angel's desire to become human. And, frankly, I found his lady love Marion to be not so much intriguing as irritating, particularly in the final scenes.

Jeff Costello 04-16-17 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 1688300)
Curious to read your observations, Cosmic. I myself will save "The Hunt" for last, as it made me physically angry, the last time I saw it. Still a terrific film though.

Jeff Costello 04-16-17 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1688301)
I had a feeling this MAY be up your alley, very happy to hear that it was. The cast IS rather rich with talent. Cassel's nuances were brilliant. Like so many others in this.
And on a side note, in that photo is Geraldine Chaplin, first daughter to Charlie Chaplin's fourth wife, Oona, who stayed with Charlie for the rest of his days.
For the fights, I actually enjoyed that some aspects were more realistic, not so over the top. Specifically with Oliver Reed's Athos who fought like an ex-soldier would; what ever way works.
Interesting tidbit. I noticed the surname on the cast last, but haven't realized she was related to Charlie.

And definitely agree with the fights aspect. It was cool to see, how everyone had their own style of fighting. Like you mentioned Athos, with his scrappy and buldozing style, while d'Artagnan and Aramis fought more attractively and visually pleasing.

I also wanted to ask you about the sequel and how does it compare to this one? I think I'd like to check it out, at some point.

Jeff Costello 04-16-17 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1688416)
Also @edarsenal could you do me a big favour just for this HOF even and not read peoples spoilers/reviews if you've not seen the film? It's completely up to you obviously mate but i feel if a film relies on some sort of twist you are going to read about it if you are reading everything everyone says before you watch a film and it may not work on the same level for you because of this. Even if there's no twist there's going to be central plot points people want to talk about that you shouldn't read until you've seen it IMO.

You've seen Buffalo '66 already so you know this is nothing to do with my own nomination it's just something i've felt for a while. Im genuinely considering not posting more than a spoilerless paragraph for every film and not taking part in any discussion because i think you'll read whatever i write and spoil the film for yourself.
So far, I avoided the reviews of films I haven't seen, but I plan to read&rep them all accordingly, after I finish.

Also, do we write the reviews of our own noms? Or we just discuss it with people, after they've completed it.

Nestorio_Miklos 04-16-17 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1688334)
great lil review; wanted to try to answer a few of your questions in your spoilers
WARNING: "hope this helps" spoilers below
Neil's father grew up poor and worked to get the money to get his son into a school that would get him a far better life. The idea of his son doing something that was going to put him in the poor house JUST WOULD NOT do. Also, he didn't have the "words" to tell him this. He was just terrified for his son making a huge mistake and got enraged/protective.
Also, this wasn't something Neil wanted to do on the side for fun. It was what, he felt, he was born to do. And when he couldn't "be" that... well, nothing else would matter.
Richard did firmly believe if Neil simply "went along" with what he was told to do and the life that was being prepared for him, he'd still be alive. Richard Is a VERY practical and conservative person. He played it safe when he didn't follow along. Which is also why he kept his head down at the very end. The courageous act would never be him and he wasn't happy about that truth and would not change it. Hence, remaining in his chair.
And, finally, the disciplinary action was a pretty common thing during that time, but I can understand how it "didn't fit" for you.
you might have convinced me there Ed :D. I understand exactly what you saying however sometimes I'm a lazy viewer and I want movie to tell me the whole story. Perhaps it was not explicit enough and the shortcuts director took went too far cutting too many frames. But you told me once too use those imaginary deleted scenes. I'm probably gonna rewatch
WARNING: "possible" spoilers below
those dialogues between Neil and his father to exactly pinpoint the moment where Neil's father understands the acting is not just fun for him (Neil)

Nestorio_Miklos 04-16-17 05:45 AM

I'm going to watch Manchester By The Sea tonight. I've started to watch it last night but was only too tired to finish it. Looks like I'm just gonna watch all noms by order how they are listed on page 1.
[/size]

rauldc14 04-16-17 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1688398)
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...gsofdesire.gif

Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin) (Wim Wenders, 1987)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/15/17
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, CosmicRunaway's Nomination

Well, that was... that was something. Something that I didn't like. Something that seemed to drag on endlessly. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily against films that are quietly contemplative. When done well it can be a very moving and emotional experience. But this wasn't that. It wasn't that for me at all.

From a visual standpoint, Wings of Desire is absolutely gorgeous. Whether the scenes were in black and white or in vivid color, the images were breathtaking and evocative. I also really liked the basic concept of the film and felt there was some definite potential in it, but my praise for it really ends there.

The constant repetition of certain phrases ("When the child was a child..."), the near total lack of humor, and the endless droning of people's ridiculously melancholy thoughts combined to nearly eliminate my interest in it. I felt every damn minute of its two hour run time and actually ended up taking a break about 2/3 of the way through. I get that there is beauty in most things, including sadness and despair, but I really didn't buy that the rather narrow view of life that the film presented would be enough to ignite the angel's desire to become human. And, frankly, I found his lady love Marion to be not so much intriguing as irritating, particularly in the final scenes.

A predictable reaction. So predictable (because I felt the same way) that I was worried it would be one of those goofy likes for you since we are film opposites. But it looks like we agree.

When I look at what was nominated as a whole I don't really see anything that screams Miss Vicky will like this. Maybe Three Musketeers, but I'd be surprised.

CosmicRunaway 04-16-17 06:49 AM

I think the people who didn't really like Murderers are Among Us in the 40s HoF are going to find Wings of Desire difficult to sit through, because they both rely heavily on visuals, but Wings of Desire lacks a discernable plot early on, which Murderers are Among Us did at least have.

I had a lot of difficulty coming up with a nomination, and went with Wings of Desire because of its cinematography, which I think is amazing, but partly because I've seen people mention the film (and/or Win Wenders) around before, so I figured it would be something semi-familiar that may have already been on a few people's watchlists. My hope is that even if people find the film's pace to be mind-numbing, they'll at least have some appreciation of the visuals. I think it's one of those films that critics tend to heap praises on, but most people find a bit boring, and that's the sort of reception I'm expecting.

ScarletLion 04-16-17 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1688453)
If it's anything like Paris, Texas then i'll be happy. Oddly, and i'm not just saying this, Paris, Texas is the film that reminds me of Buffalo '66 the most. Hope someone who has seen both, maybe Nesto? Will kinda know what i mean.
I know what you mean. The pay off at the end gives you a similar feeling. Paris, Texas was brilliant, so I'm looking forward to Wings of Desire.

CosmicRunaway 04-16-17 07:17 AM

I haven't seen Paris, Texas. In fact, the only other one of Wim Wenders' films I've seen is Million Dollar Hotel, which I absolutely hated. I'm pretty sure it was on my Worst Films list for that Countdown Tongo was going to do.

CosmicRunaway 04-16-17 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1688462)
That's crazy, thought you would have seen it. Guess it didn't interest you coz it's American despite being from Wenders?
Actually, I'd never even heard of it until recently. I looked it up a little while ago after seeing it mentioned somewhere, but don't really know what it's about.

I've had no incentive to look up Wenders' other films, because like I said I've only seen Wings of Desire about a decade ago, and Million Dollar Hotel, which I actually tried to rewatch a couple of years ago but ended up turning it off.

CosmicRunaway 04-16-17 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=29889

The Hunt / Jagten (2012)
Dir. Thomas Vinterberg
Starring: Mads Mikkelsen, Annika Wedderkopp, Susse Wold

I've been meaning to watch this film for a number of months now, but could never quite get around to it. Given the subject matter of the film, I was expecting something fairly heavy and difficult to sit through. I'm glad that it was nominated so I had an excuse to finally sit down and try it. While the film plays out how I expected it to, in the end it was nowhere near as uncomfortable as I had anticipated. Mads Mikkelsen gives an amazing performance as Lucas, and the supporting cast are all great as well. You can feel the tension in the air, and everyone's emotions are clearly evident without needing any dialogue to explain it. The film had a few “I think there's something in my eye” moments, and is definitely not something I'll be forgetting any time soon.

Normally I avoid mentioning plot points in my write-ups, and reserve any spoiler talk for other posts, but if you don't already know the basic story of this film, then you may not wish to read the next paragraph.

The film shows us why there is a disproportionate amount of women involved in childcare compared to men. It's so easy to accuse a man of misconduct in situations like that, and the phrase “innocent until proven guilty” seems to be thrown out the window. For a long time in the film, I blamed the girl for the circumstances Lucas found himself in. But children say things without understanding the consequences all of the time, so the fault is really with all the adults in the film who jumped to conclusions and particularly with those who started treating Lucas poorly. The most disgusting part of the whole ordeal is that it's pretty accurate to reality. Just being accused of something awful can have permanently devastating effects, even if all charges are dropped. It's particularly bad in a small town like the one portrayed in The Hunt, because gossip spreads quickly, and there's nowhere to hide because of how closely knit the community is.

The Hunt feels very grounded in reality, whether we want to admit that or not. It's shot in a manner which emphasises the characters' reactions and the emotions of the scene, forgoing fancy camera set-ups or unique visual designs for a more intimate connection between the viewer and the events depicted on screen. I think it works very well, as it easily engaged me and created a lot of sympathy for Lucas and his ordeal. While it's unpleasant to watch at times, it's still very engrossing. It's probably not a movie I'd revisit any time soon, but I'm glad I got the chance to experience it.

cricket 04-16-17 09:02 AM

I didn't read after the second paragraph ^^I'm planning on watching that tonight!

Jeff Costello 04-16-17 09:09 AM

Dead Poet's Society

After somewhat liking it the first time I saw it, I really must admit, it didn't work for me this time. I found the film to be very preachy and aggressive in pointing out its message, which I'm not even sure was suppose to be. It also didn't help, that plenty of scenes were overly cheesy and sentimental. I liked Robin Williams in it, altough I don't think this was his best role. Only other performance that really stood out to me, was by then 19-year old Ethan Hawke, who was great as an introverted young man, who just became to come out of his shell. Sure he had his moments of overracting, like majority of the cast, but I still quite liked him. I must say that I liked the first part of the film much better than the second. By the end the film turns into a heavy melodrama, sort of a completely opposite tone, of the one established in the first part. And there were some fragments in the plot, I felt were used just to achieve dramatic effect.
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-st...7889212-12.jpg
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below

I didn't like how Neil's dad was made as such one-dimensional character. I think they could have added a whole more depth to him, instead of painting him as a classic
authoritarian, with no regard for his son's wishes. Also I might be criticized for it, but I thought the film tried really hard to show us Mr. Keating as a saint, where in reality his methods weren't really that correct and moral. I mean he directly encouraged a group of pliable 15-year olds to actively fight against the authority and live some kind of Dionysian lifestyles. I'm not saying that his heart wasn't in right place, by wanting to teach his students to think independtly and live life to the fullest. But his methods could've been a lot subtler in my opinion.

There was a particular scene I very much liked ,at the end of the film. When a fellow professor
wawed at Mr.Keating, symbolizing how much he influenced him. I also thought the cinematography was pretty good, especially the shots in the cave and the snowy setting.
Sadly Dead Poet's Society didn't resonate with me this time, but at least I enjoyed Williams and Hawke performance.

Jeff Costello 04-16-17 09:40 AM

@CosmicRunaway

Very well written and thoughtful review! Jagten was definitely a fascinating study of a lynch mob mentality and how one innocent little lie can escalate to such great proportions and almost ruin a man's life. I must ask you, what did you think about the final scene? To me it was perhaps the most poignant and intruguing scene in the entire film. While at the same time really ambiguous.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
At first, I thought that the shooter was Klara's brother. Remember how him and Lucas shared a really awkward eye contact, during Lucas's son celebration. I thought it was quite obvious, he felt guilty for introducing Clara to pornography and indirectly being a causer of the entire catastrophe.

Later I kinda adapt the conclusion that the shooter, didn't mean to be anyone in particular. Rather than a symbol of how this whole incident will haunt Lucas, and that he'll forever have to look over his shoulder. Basically his name was already dirted and he'll never be able to escape the jaws of a judgmental society.

Curious to hear what you think...