Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 2022 MoFo Film Awards (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=67854)

CosmicRunaway 03-23-23 07:01 AM

The 2022 MoFo Film Awards

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=92082

The nominations are in, and it's time to vote for the winners!
The deadline to submit your ballots is April 28th.

Isn't there already a thread for this?
That was just a preliminary thread to gather the nominations. You'll find the finalists here, and once everyone's votes are in, the reveal will happen in this thread as well.

I didn't nominate any films, can I still vote?
Yes, of course! The more the merrier!

How do I submit a ballot?
You need to select one option from each category and PM those choices to me. Please do not post them in the thread - though you are welcome to discuss your opinions on the nominations. There will be a text-only version of all the finalists in Post 7 for reference. Feel free to copy it over, and just delete the things you don't want to vote for.

Do I need to have seen every film in a category to vote in it?
No, but we recommend making an effort to see as many of the nominations as possible before voting -- with the exception of the Worst Film category, of course. This isn't a Hall of Fame, so you don't need to sit through any film you don't like.

Do I need to vote in every category?
Please do, even if you don't like any of the available choices. If you literally haven't seen a single film in that category, then feel free to skip it.

Is it possible to alter my ballot after I've already sent it in?
Yes, as long as it is received before the deadline.

My question wasn't covered here, what do I do?
You can ask in the thread, or PM me if you're not comfortable posting your question publicly.

Table of Contents:
Click to View  

Re: The 2022 MoFo Film Awards

6 Attachment(s)
Best Visual Effects
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Everything Everywhere All At Once
  • Nope
  • Top Gun: Maverick

Best Sound
  • Elvis
  • Nope
  • Tár

Best Score
  • Babylon
  • The Banshees of Inisherin
  • The Fabelmans
  • Tár

Best Breakout Performance
  • Amber Midthunder, Prey
  • Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie
  • Austin Butler, Elvis
  • Frankie Corio, Aftersun
  • Gabriel LaBelle, The Fabelmans
  • Paul Mescal, Aftersun

Best Cinematography
  • Decision to Leave
  • Nope
  • The Northman

Best Ensemble Cast
  • The Fabelmans
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
  • Women Talking

5 Attachment(s)
  • Babylon
  • Bullet Train
  • Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
  • White Noise

• Barbarian – Justin Long measures the basement
  • Bullet Train – Channing Tatum cameo
  • Everything Everywhere All At Once– Butt plug fight scene
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery – Benoit immediately solves the mystery
  • Tár – Apartment for Sale

• Everything Everywhere All At Once – The rocks
  • Men – The birthing scene
  • The Menu – Cheeseburger
  • Nope – The audience is swallowed by the alien
  • Nope – Gordy's Home
  • RRR – Naatu Naatu dance battle
  • Triangle of Sadness – Vomiting scene

• Aftersun
  • Babylon
  • Boiling Point
  • The Outfit
  • Sissy
  • Three Thousand Years of Longing

• The Batman
  • Women Talking

5 Attachment(s)
  • Babylon
  • The Batman
  • The Bubble
  • The Gray Man
  • Halloween Ends
  • Women Talking
  • Elvis
  • The Menu
  • Prey
  • RRR

• Broker
  • Decision to Leave
  • The Quiet Girl
  • RRR

• All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
  • Fire of Love
  • Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song
  • Jackass 4.5
  • Moonage Daydream
  • Apollo 10˝: A Space Age Childhood
  • Beavis and Butt-head Do the Universe
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
  • Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
  • Turning Red

CosmicRunaway 03-23-23 07:02 AM

6 Attachment(s)
  • Aftersun
  • The Fabelmans
  • Tár

• Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Frankie Corio, Aftersun
  • Hong Chau, The Whale
  • Janelle Monáe, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
  • Keke Palmer, Nope
  • Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All At Once

• Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once
  • Paul Dano, The Fabelmans
  • Steven Yeun, Nope

Best Actress
  • Ana de Armas, Blonde
  • Cate Blanchett, Tár
  • Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
  • Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
  • Rebecca Hall, Resurrection

• Austin Butler, Elvis
  • Brendan Fraser, The Whale
  • Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Paul Mescal, Aftersun
  • Ralph Fiennes, The Menu

• Charlotte Wells, Aftersun
  • Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All At Once
  • Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
  • Todd Field, Tár

2 Attachment(s)
  • Firestarter
  • The Gray Man
  • Morbius
  • Thor: Love and Thunder

• Aftersun
  • The Fabelmans
  • To Leslie
  • The Menu
  • Nope
  • The Quiet Girl
  • RRR

All Nominations:

Text Only  

If you want to see how they differ from the Academy's picks, check out this post.

Received Ballots:
Allaby
ApexPredator
beelzebubble
CosmicRunaway
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Harry Lime
Hey Fredrick
Holden Pike
Iroquois
John-Connor
LAMb EELYAK
mrblond
PHOENIX74
rauldc14
sawduck
ScarletLion
seanc
Siddon
TheUsualSuspect
Thursday Next
Torgo

Winners Reveal
To see the start, click here
To see just the winners, click here

Previous Awards Threads:
2022 Film Awards - Nominations
2019 Film Awards - Nominations
2019 Film Awards
2018 Film Awards - Nominations
2018 Film Awards
2017 Film Awards - Nominations
2017 Film Awards
2016 Film Awards - Nominations
2016 Film Awards

ShirleySemon 03-23-23 08:17 AM

Thanks for sharing.

John-Connor 03-23-23 08:23 AM

Ballot sent.. :)

https://media.tenor.com/JI0hvWYznAMA...ack-burton.gif

CosmicRunaway 03-23-23 09:03 AM

There are definitely a number of films I want to try and watch before the deadline. The biggest one is The Fabelmans, which earned a number of nominations across various categories.

I tried to watch Decision to Leave a few times last week, but something always came up, and I never made it past the first few minutes. I'll definitely get to it before the deadline though. I would still like to watch Boiling Point as well, even though it's only in one category. It actually just missed out on a Best Film nomination (both it and Tár were tied for 11th).

I haven't seen any of the documentaries or animated films.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Rebecca Hall barely make it into the Best Actress category. I had nominated her ~8 minute long monologue in Resurrection as one of the most memorable scenes of the year, but no one else agreed with me it seems haha.

Everything Everywhere All At Once garnering some backlash wasn't a surprise though. I think every year whichever films do the best at the Oscars end up being downvoted here haha.

ScarletLion 03-23-23 10:11 AM

Wow.

This is 1000% better than the recent Oscars nonsense. Far better list of nominations. Great stuff.

CosmicRunaway 03-23-23 10:24 AM

For reference, I've highlighted all of the nominations that are different from what we saw at the Oscars - for the relevant categories of course. The Academy isn't bold enough to vote on a Worst Picture or Most Overrated Film lol.

Green means it's different  

Iroquois 03-23-23 11:13 AM

Wow, guess I missed the part where I could nominate 10 films for Best Picture (wonder how many other people did as well).

Fascinated by how EEAAO managed to be nominated for Best and Worst Picture, that has to be a first.

Kind of surprised anyone had high enough expectations for The Bubble and The Gray Man to be disappointed by them.

CosmicRunaway 03-23-23 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2379384)
Wow, guess I missed the part where I could nominate 10 films for Best Picture (wonder how many other people did as well).
It was still only 5 nominations each, but there were 10 slots available for the films with the most points in that one category. That's how we did it the last three times the awards were held, and I didn't think to question it haha.

If you guys want to change that going forward, just let me know.

Kind of surprised anyone had high enough expectations for The Bubble and The Gray Man to be disappointed by them.
I was optimistic about The Bubble. Though I may have just been on a Pedro Pascal high at the time since I had just finished watching Narcos.

Holden Pike 03-23-23 11:42 AM

A few of the titles I championed on my nominations ballot in various categories that didn't make the cut anywhere here were Vengeance, Emily the Criminal, The Pale Blue Eye, and See How They Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GT1jFsNnPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzf1YCEkLDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbL9jvg77w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q00qh7Ab6Mk

Oh, well.

Iroquois 03-23-23 11:51 AM

Some of the titles I championed include Crimes of the Future, Happening, Ambulance, Paris 13th District, Stars At Noon, Orphan: First Kill, and Jackass Forever (also how did Jackass 4.5 make the cut and not Forever).

Torgo 03-23-23 11:55 AM

Very excited to see the results. Especially happy to see the love for Prey in the breakout performance and surprise categories as well as for how funny Justin Long is in Barbarian.

Oh, and I had high hopes for Grey Man. A heck of a cast and the Russos at the helm are all it took for me.

CosmicRunaway 03-23-23 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2379395)
Crimes of the Future
That nearly earned a nomination for Best Special Effects.

seanc 03-23-23 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2379378)
Wow.

This is 1000% better than the recent Oscars nonsense. Far better list of nominations. Great stuff.
Must be at least two or three differences in the major categories. Oscars can’t get anything right. Damn consensus.

kgaard 03-23-23 02:27 PM

I don't know if I'll get it together to watch enough movies to be able to vote with assurance (still need to at least see: Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, Tár, Nope, RRR, and The Fabelmans), but I do like the cut of these nominees' jib.

Siddon 03-23-23 03:08 PM

Fascinated by how EEAAO managed to be nominated for Best and Worst Picture, that has to be a first.

Best/Worst/Mixed Bag/Disappointment/Overrated- five categories is pretty crazy

Yoda 03-23-23 03:13 PM

I think it really speaks to the degree people, consciously or otherwise, react in ways that aren't being formed in a vacuum, but are instead designed to "counterweight" what they see as overenthusiasm. In other words, instead of just rating a film like they want to rate it, they see what the overall rating is and then rate it whatever gets the average closer to where they would put it.

Siddon 03-23-23 03:49 PM

Jurassic Park:Dominion managing to avoid all the negative categories is a pretty big shock especially with Thor Love and Thunder making the worst of list.

LAMb EELYAK 03-23-23 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2379455)
Jurassic Park:Dominion managing to avoid all the negative categories is a pretty big shock especially with Thor Love and Thunder making the worst of list.

: + D = :D

:lol:

rauldc14 03-23-23 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2379455)
I do agree with this.

LAMb EELYAK 03-23-23 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2379446)
Best/Worst/Mixed Bag/Disappointment/Overrated- five categories is pretty crazy
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2379447)
I think it really speaks to the degree people, consciously or otherwise, react in ways that aren't being formed in a vacuum, but are instead designed to "counterweight" what they see as overenthusiasm. In other words, instead of just rating a film like they want to rate it, they see what the overall rating is and then rate it whatever gets the average closer to where they would put it.

To be fair, some of these categories have a kind of direct influence on each other.

Speaking for myself, I was massively disappointed with EEAAO long before Oscar season because my own expectations/hopes were so high from the moment I heard about it, and they were raised when the trailer released. I'm not a jealous person generally, but I am jealous of all the people who were able to love this movie.

That said, I do think calling it Worst Picture material is a bit silly, but I guess some people feel that way.

LAMb EELYAK 03-23-23 09:33 PM

I've only seen one of the documentaries and two of the foreign language nominees, but I've seen most of the movies in every other category. Only seven of the ten best picture noms, though.

I submitted at least one of the eventual nominees in every category except cinematography. The most aligned my submissions were with any category was Most Overrated :lol:. I submitted four of those.

I wasted a ton of slots on Fantastic Beasts, which was genuinely my favorite movie of the year. Other than that, the movie I pushed most to no avail was The Wonder. I also had Thirteen Lives in a few of the major categories including Best Film.

The film I'm glad to see represented here that was ignored by the academy is The Menu. I haven't seen The Whale, but I submitted a nom for Hong Chau here alongside Fiennes and Hoult.

I'm a bit disappointed in Babylon's showing, although I think the forums biggest fan of that one, KeyserCorleone, didn't submit a list.

Also scratching my head at Tár placing for director, screenplay, and actress, but missing out on each of the ten Best Film slots.

LAMb EELYAK 03-23-23 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2379393)
A few of the titles I championed on my nominations ballot in various categories that didn't make the cut anywhere here were Vengeance, Emily the Criminal, The Pale Blue Eye, and See How They Run.

Oh, well.

I submitted See How They Run... in the Biggest Disappointment category...

The Pale Blue Eye may be eligible next year with it's wide release on Netflix in January.

LAMb EELYAK 03-23-23 09:37 PM

I think I contributed a point to Everything Everywhere All At Once's buttplug nomination, even though I was specifically voting for the part of the scene in which nobody is using one.

LAMb EELYAK 03-23-23 09:42 PM

The other thing that surprises me is To Leslie making best film with Riseborough left out of Best Actress.

PHOENIX74 03-23-23 11:11 PM

Great job everyone! (Aside for one or two instances which had me having a fit.) I feel validated when my nominees make the cut, and strangely alone and isolated in my opinions when they don't. None of my Worst Picture nominees made it, but maybe that's because it's stacked with horror films, and a lesser proportion of people watch those. I've seen almost everything, and as such don't have too much homework to do if I intend seeing 100% of the nominees.

I think our list of nominations is much better than what the Oscars rolled out - what a great bunch of movie-watching people.

ApexPredator 03-24-23 12:34 AM

The two films I wanted to squeeze in before the deadline were Everything Everywhere All at Once and The Banshees of Inisherin.

Also at work, I started watching All Quiet on the Western Front. Tried to squeeze in a few noms for that.

Pleased to see RRR make best film. Would have liked to see a nomination for Breakout or Best Actor/Director, but oh well.

You can thank/blame me for Janelle Monae making the cut for Best Supporting Actress. Tried to squeeze a nom for Funniest/Memorable Scene for the destruction of Miles's mansion but it didn't happen.

I tried to make Rescued by Ruby and 20th Century Girl happen. It didn't.

Pleasantly surprised by the lack of Navalny in Documentary. Less so for Puss in Boots missing out in Animation.

Not sure how much more damage I can do in a month, but I plan on getting through Everything and Banshees at bare minimum. Will make runs at some of the others (The Menu, Elvis, Top Gun: Maverick, The Fabelmans, Nope) as well. Hoping to find Aftersun and To Leslie before the deadline...

CosmicRunaway 03-24-23 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2379526)
Also scratching my head at Tár placing for director, screenplay, and actress, but missing out on each of the ten Best Film slots.
It was tied for 11th place with Boiling Point, so it only just missed the cut.

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2379534)
None of my Worst Picture nominees made it, but maybe that's because it's stacked with horror films, and a lesser proportion of people watch those.
You're probably not alone in that, since votes were spread fairly thin for that category. 54 different films were nominated for Worst Picture. :eek:

CosmicRunaway 03-24-23 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2379528)
I think I contributed a point to Everything Everywhere All At Once's buttplug nomination, even though I was specifically voting for the part of the scene in which nobody is using one.
Looking back at the spreadsheet, I actually didn't count that as the same thing when tallying the scores.

Holden Pike 03-24-23 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2379527)
I submitted See How They Run... in the Biggest Disappointment category...
In a year that had the likes of Babylon and Amsterdam and Armageddon Time, all messy, embarrassing failures from established filmmakers, I found See How They Run to be a huge relief and full of laughs. But to each their own.

The Pale Blue Eye may be eligible next year with it's wide release on Netflix in January.
The Pale Blue Eye was released first theatrically in December to qualify for the Academy Awards. Thus it is eligible as a 2022 flick. But go ahead and vote for it next year.

LAMb EELYAK 03-24-23 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2379593)
In a year that had the likes of Babylon and Amsterdam and Armageddon Time, all messy, embarrassing failures from established filmmakers, I found See How They Run to be a huge relief and full of laughs. But to each their own.

I quite enjoyed Babylon. Amsterdam was a bit of a letdown, but Russell has always been hit-and-miss for me. Didn't see Armageddon Time.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2379593)
The Pale Blue Eye was released first theatrically in December to qualify for the Academy Awards. Thus it is eligible as a 2022 flick. But go ahead and vote for it next year.

I'm aware, but it seems eligibility "rules" are a bit different here.

LAMb EELYAK 03-24-23 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2379564)
It was tied for 11th place with Boiling Point, so it only just missed the cut.

How many points away were they?

CosmicRunaway 03-24-23 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2379610)
How many points away were they?
1 single point. That's how close some of these categories were.

TheUsualSuspect 03-24-23 12:50 PM

Great job @CosmicRunaway

Initial thoughts: EEAAO spread out among best and worst categories...seems to happen to at least one film every year.

Happy to see some love thrown to Midthunder for Prey.

A lot of my noms made it and a lot didn't, so I feel overall that I am happy with what is here. I still need to watch a few before I officially submit a list.

ApexPredator 03-24-23 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2379529)
The other thing that surprises me is To Leslie making best film with Riseborough left out of Best Actress.
She did make the cut at Best Breakthrough, however.

LAMb EELYAK 03-24-23 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ApexPredator (Post 2379755)
She did make the cut at Best Breakthrough, however.

Which is also funny to me as she was already better known than anyone else in that category and To Leslie isn't likely to catapult her to stardom. I suppose people could just be saying she finally tapped into her potential.

LAMb EELYAK 03-24-23 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2379619)
1 single point. That's how close some of these categories were.

Thanks!

Maybe I should have taken a leaf out of Dumbledore's book and sacrificed Fantastic Beasts at the altar of pragmatism.

CosmicRunaway 03-27-23 04:27 PM

I think Decision to Leave is cursed. Every time I try to watch it, something kind of major comes up that I have to deal with lol.

PHOENIX74 03-28-23 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2380160)
I think Decision to Leave is cursed. Every time I try to watch it, something kind of major comes up that I have to deal with lol.
I'm going to try to get to Decision to Leave tonight - if anything interrupts it I'm going to be talking about the curse. Actually, I'm hoping something does so I can come back tomorrow and confirm that the curse is real.

ScarletLion 03-28-23 06:31 AM

For those that watch 'Decision to Leave' - all I am saying is, pay close attention to the camera's depth of focus in the police interrogation scene.

Then marvel at how this film wasn't nominated for best cinematography.

seanc 03-28-23 03:12 PM

Went ahead and voted. The only notable movie from the noms I haven't seen yet is The Quiet Girl, but it looks like it will be a minute before I get the chance.

I guess I could have watched Morbius to confirm it is the worst film of the year, but I don't have it in me, so Thor got my vote.

CosmicRunaway 03-28-23 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2380333)
I guess I could have watched Morbius to confirm it is the worst film of the year, but I don't have it in me
Skipping Morbius is definitely the correct decision haha.

I do not recommend watching all of the Worst Film nominations just to ensure that you're confident in your vote. Maybe I should add that to the first post as well.

PHOENIX74 03-29-23 12:09 AM

Decision to Leave was really good, and I'm glad these MoFo film awards got me going as far as watching it is concerned. I really have to watch The Handmaiden as well - another great Park Chan-wook film that has eluded me.

CosmicRunaway 03-29-23 05:37 AM

Glad the film's not cursed, just me! lol

PHOENIX74 03-30-23 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2380475)
Glad the film's not cursed, just me! lol
There was a surprising lack of interruptions! There were a couple of cats over the fence either having a fight or making love, but that wasn't "stop the movie"-worthy. I thought maybe a car would crash into my house or something.

Anyway, I got through The Gray Man last night - nominee for disappointment, and worst film. Hardly encouraging, having those nominations. Tonight, for me, it's Bullet Train (Mixed bag and funniest scene) which is a little better.

CosmicRunaway 04-01-23 01:18 PM

I finally made it through Decision to Leave, so hopefully the curse is lifted now.

mrblond 04-05-23 02:08 PM

I just tried to create my ballot and was immediately stopped, unable to solve a huge dilemma.
How to proceed?
You know, for the best film category, I can distinguish three titles for sure. The problem is that I know one of them is popular among the users and it is the obvious practical choice but I mostly tend to the other two which probably aren't going to get more than two votes each.

So, how to proceed? If I follow my heart and vote for some of the obscure ones and the popular one lose the award, I'll feel guilty.

CosmicRunaway 04-06-23 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2381555)
So, how to proceed? If I follow my heart and vote for some of the obscure ones and the popular one lose the award, I'll feel guilty.
Always vote with your heart! <3

The most important thing is to be happy with whatever you choose. Don't feel compelled to vote for something you don't like as much, just because you think it's the more popular choice. If it really is that popular, it'll do fine on its own. If it doesn't... maybe it wasn't that popular after all?

LAMb EELYAK 04-06-23 11:14 PM

Anyone want to share some of the memorable/funny scenes they submitted that didn't make the cut?

I submitted one in each category that wound up being nominated. I don't feel very strongly about the funny scenes this year, but I thought there were a lot of good choices available for the other category.

Secrets of Dumbledore ending scene(s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPnPkhyVuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXCJnfog-JY

Tár one-take lecture/debate/argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTAXQYic9uU

Babylon - Nellie's magnetic "born a star" dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIcB8NN2Pc

The Wonder haven't-even-built-the-fourth-wall-yet opening:

https://www.facebook.com/NetflixUK/v...2117456820619/

PHOENIX74 04-06-23 11:37 PM

Having watched All the Bloodshed and the Beauty last night, I have now seen every single film nominated in some capacity here. It was fun catching up with the best (and the worst) 2022 had to offer, and the likes of Resurrection and Decision to Leave, which were really good ones that weren't on my radar yet.

LAMb EELYAK 04-06-23 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2381771)
Having watched All the Bloodshed and the Beauty last night, I have now seen every single film nominated in some capacity here. It was fun catching up with the best (and the worst) 2022 had to offer, and the likes of Resurrection and Decision to Leave, which were really good ones that weren't on my radar yet.

Impressive! I don't think I'm going to pull that off.

PHOENIX74 04-06-23 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2381769)
Anyone want to share some of the memorable/funny scenes they submitted that didn't make the cut?
Good idea. Three of my memorable scene nominations made the cut, but these two were left out :

TANKS!! - All Quiet on the Western Front
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNC83oXZ5KM

Laura's death scene in Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qZf_5jlijs
That last one probably won't play imbedded. None of my funniest scene nominations made it, and I kind of feel like I dropped the ball there, so I'm too embarrassed to share those with everyone.

Iroquois 04-07-23 03:55 AM

For "most memorable":

The final montage, Babylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI6TR5Wd28A

The final battle, Avatar: The Way of Water (no good videos of it yet and besides it's a long sequence)

For "funniest":

Pizza Poppa, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwdrOwLA-I

"The Silence of the Lambs", Jackass Forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILlvmfDBFrc

"Sailing", Ambulance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS4FWJ7a6BQ

And for both:

"The greatest filmmaker of all time", The Fabelmans (no good uploads of this either)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5aLoCO4VCg

CosmicRunaway 04-07-23 10:28 AM

I wanted to provide clips for each of the scene nominations, but they weren't all available online and it didn't seem fair to provide them for some but not others. I considered cutting and uploading them myself, but that would've been a lot of extra work. Maybe next year?

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2381776)
Laura's death scene in Smile
I also voted for this one. <3

The only memorable scene I nominated that made it was the "Naatu Naatu" dance battle. Other than that death in Smile, I also voted for Rebecca Hall's long monologue in Resurrection (but I can't find a full clip for that), Hugh Grant's cameo in Glass Onion, and I also went with Justin Long's first appearance in Barbarian because at the time, that tonal shift was great.

CosmicRunaway 04-07-23 07:10 PM

Just a quick reminder since I just noticed the date:

There are only 3 weeks left to get your ballots in!

The nominations round had some very close calls. Don't forget to vote for your favourites before it's too late!

PHOENIX74 04-07-23 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2381815)
I also voted for Rebecca Hall's long monologue in Resurrection (but I can't find a full clip for that).
That was great! Unfortunately I didn't see Resurrection until after the nominations came out.

John-Connor 04-08-23 05:36 AM

Top Gun Maverick • Intro Opening Scene IMAX 8K - Anthem & Danger Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbszzvPWCTY

Drunk Pádraic - The Banshees of Inisherin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0RBIOxpco8

CosmicRunaway 04-12-23 04:32 PM

Just finished watching The Fabelmans. I didn't really have any interest in watching it before, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Glad it was nominated in quite a few categories, since I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

CosmicRunaway 04-14-23 02:43 PM

There are only 2 weeks left to get your ballots in!

Much like the deadline for the nominations round, you'll have the entire day to get your list in. I'll be checking my inbox Saturday morning, but as before, I won't be particular about the exact timestamps on any last-minute submissions.

ApexPredator 04-17-23 07:43 PM

That's a cool idea!

Mild Spoilers Warning:

Memorable Scene Votes:

Naatu Naatu, RRR (Made It)

Rescuing Malli/Revelation, RRR. The scene outside of the mansion where Bheem tries to rescue Malli only to learn that his friend Rama is an undercover cop features all sort of fireworks both directly and indirectly as friends become enemies and animals get loosed from their cages.

Bheem's Flogging, RRR. Here, Bheem is being punished for his actions against the British crown and Rama is being asked to flog him with a whip. But Bheem refuses to kneel even as he's bleeding...defiantly singing a song the whole time. Even when the whip is switched for a more brutal one involving nails from the governor's wife, he keeps singing and refusing to kneel.

Destroying Miles's Mansion, Glass Onion: After watching the napkin go up in smoke, a drunk Helen decides to get revenge towards Miles by destroying his collection of glass sculptures. There's something cathartic about watching all of the glass get destroyed especially when the others start joining in. Birdie's delight in breaking a sculpture is one where we share. There's a bit more after that, but I'll leave it to y'all to watch.

Pinocchio performs for Mussolini, GDT's Pinocchio. With the encouragement of Spazzatura, Pinocchio decides to switch up the routine when Mussolini decides to visit the show. The performance leads to delighted kids and an enraged fascist leader.

Funniest Scene Votes:

Destroying Miles's Mansion, Glass Onion (Already Covered)

Benoit Solves Miles's Murder, Glass Onion (Made It)

Revealing the Clues to the Box, Glass Onion. Before they can head to Miles's mansion in Greece, they first have to solve a puzzle box with clues leading to the next riddle. Gotta love how everyone does things differently. Lionel and Claire work together while the daft Birdie tries desperately to keep up (even with assistance from Yo-Yo Ma!). Much to Duke's frustration, his Ma seems much more adept at solving the clues. And in the first sign that Helen is built different than the others, she just breaks the box apart with a hammer.

Revealing the Audience in the Philippines, Tar. After things take a big turn for the worse in Germany, Lydia takes a job working in the Philippines. But in one shot, we see how far things have fallen for Ms. Tar as the camera pans to the people listening to the orchestra.

CosmicRunaway 04-21-23 02:57 PM

There is only 1 week left to get your ballots in!

Just a reminder: everyone is able to vote in the finals! You do not need to have participated in the nominations round. You also do not need to have seen every film to submit a ballot.

@ApexPredator @Frightened Inmate No. 2; @Iroquois @LAMb EELYAK @rauldc14 @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Tugg

Hope you guys don't mind the mention, but I figured I'd remind you guys of the deadline, since you all participated in the nominations round, but haven't submitted a ballot yet.

CosmicRunaway 04-21-23 02:59 PM

Mention tags don't like Inmate's user name it seems lol. Hopefully he sees this anyway.

ApexPredator 04-21-23 05:11 PM

It'll probably come down to the wire as I wanna squeeze some more titles in between now and next Friday.

rauldc14 04-21-23 06:24 PM

I just voted. Thanks for the reminder.

deedstoke 04-25-23 06:30 AM

I was optimistic about The Bubble. Though I may have just been on a Pedro Pascal high at the time since I had just finished watching Narcos.

John-Connor 04-28-23 05:04 AM

Hurry up and submit if you haven't yet..deadline to submit your ballots is today!

https://media4.giphy.com/media/ME3X9...hPVZ/giphy.gif

CosmicRunaway 04-28-23 03:57 PM

As John-Connor has already said,

Today is the last day to submit a ballot!

The official deadline is up in about 12 hours, but since I don't work tomorrow I'll still be in bed at that point, so there is a little bit of leeway if you're late submitting your list haha.

Most of the people who participated in the nominations round have sent in a ballot, which is great to see! <3 But again, just a reminder for anyone who is late to the party: you do not need to have sent in a ballot for that round in order to vote in this one!

LAMb EELYAK 04-28-23 09:19 PM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2...MxlS/giphy.gif

CosmicRunaway 04-29-23 06:13 AM

Submissions are now closed.

I should be able to do the reveal sometime tomorrow. Unfortunately for those of you on the west coast of the US, it would have to be quite early because I work Monday morning and it would have to be finished up before 5pm Eastern.

If anyone has any time preferences, let me know and I'll see what I can do. However the only day I can do the reveal later than that would be Tuesday.

rauldc14 04-29-23 10:45 AM

In approximately 1 hour :)

CosmicRunaway 04-29-23 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2384794)
In approximately 1 hour :)
Bit busy right now unfortunately. Would around this time work tomorrow though?

rauldc14 04-29-23 12:01 PM

For me, yes!

mrblond 04-30-23 08:16 AM

:babbling:

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 11:11 AM

Since no one else mentioned any other preferred times, I can start the reveal in about an hour. If absolutely no one is around I might wait a little longer though. Hopefully at least raul will be here haha.

seanc 04-30-23 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Me deciding whether to skip church for the Mofo award reveals

rauldc14 04-30-23 11:58 AM

I'm here

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:09 PM

It's time to reveal the winners of the 2022 MoFo Film Awards!

This was the first year back from hiatus, and I'm glad to see the positive reception it's received! There were a number of very close races, and a handful of runaway victors this time around. Before we kick off though, I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who nominated and/or voted for the finalists!

@Allaby @ApexPredator @beelzebubble @Harry Lime @Hey Fredrick @Holden Pike
@Iroquois @John-Connor @LAMb EELYAK @mrblond @PHOENIX74 @rauldc14
@sawduck @ScarletLion @seanc @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Thursday Next @Torgo
@Tugg ...and of course Frightened Inmate No. 2, who I can never tag properly!

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:17 PM

Best Visual Effects

Our first award is for the best visual effects of the year, and it's also our first tight race!
Only a single point separated first and second place.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Eight people voted for Avatar, but Top Gun: Maverick was just behind it with 7.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:20 PM

Best Sound

Our second award was also a close call, once again with a single point separating first and second place.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

It may have missed out on Best Visuals, but it took first place here with 6 points.
Nope was a close second with 5 points.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:24 PM

Best Score

Our third category is Best Score, and... you guessed it, it's also the third category where only a single point separated first and second place.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

The Banshees of Inisherin

Seven voters gave Banshees its first award of the year.
Will it also be its last, or just the first of many to come?

Close behind was Babylon with 6 points.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:31 PM

Best Breakout Performance

Our next category is the first one where there were 2 points between first and second place.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

6 votes got Paul Mescal first place.
Austin Butler received second with 4.

The rest of the votes were spread out fairly evenly between the other finalists.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:35 PM

Best Cinematography

And now we're back to another category where only a single point separated first and second place!
This was a close race, since third place was also only 1 point behind second.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Six voters gave Banshees its second award of the season.
The Northman, which was only nominated in this category, just narrowed missed out with 5 points.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:39 PM

Best Ensemble Cast

Best Ensemble Cast was surprisingly our first runaway victor.
One film received a majority of the votes, with all others earning 2 points each.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Banshees is now 3 for 3! Will it sweep our rewards, or will the Oscars' darling Everything Everywhere All At Once receive the most accolades here as well?

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 12:46 PM

Personally, I was really hoping that The Northman would get Best Cinematography. It certainly got my vote.

So far, the only category where I had voted for the winner was Best Score haha. I was rooting for Amber Midthunder, and Nope got my votes for Best Sound and Best Visuals. I went with Glass Onion for Best Cast.

I'm going to take a quick break now, but I'll be back very shortly!

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 01:03 PM

And with the "Mixed Bag" Award, we are back to another category where only a single point determined the victor.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

With 6 points, Glass Onion wins this ambiguous category.
Babylon was a close second with 5 points.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 01:07 PM

This category was almost another runaway. While not as unanimous as Best Ensemble Cast, it does have one of the highest point differences of any category this year.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=92562
Barbarian – Justin Long measures the basement

This was the only category Barbarian was nominated in, and it earned an easy victory with eight people voting for it, twice the total of the category's runner-up, Benoit immediately solving the murder mystery in Glass Onion.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-23 01:11 PM

While the Funniest Scene was a sweep, Most Memorable Scene brings us back to a single point separating the top two nominees.

And the winner is...