Oscar's Best Director 2016

Tools    

Here are Oscar's choices for Best Director.
6.45%
2 votes
Lenny Abrahamson, ROOM
54.84%
17 votes
Alejandro González Iñárritu, THE REVENANT
9.68%
3 votes
Tom McCarthy, SPOTLIGHT
0%
0 votes
Adam McKay, THE BIG SHORT
29.03%
9 votes
George Miller, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
31 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the five nominees for Best Director. Which would you vote for?

Lenny Abrahamson, Room
Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
Adam McKay, The Big Short
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	direct.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	23697  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Master of My Domain
George Miller might get it. He deserves it the most for not only his work on the film, but his contribution to shaping the modern action film. And I don't think the Academy would want to give Inarritu another oscar.

George Miller was nominated, this is a joke right? What about Michael Bay? What's this world coming to...

Wait, Gatsby and Seanc... You guys think he should get it?

I am so confused right now.

George Miller was nominated, this is a joke right? What about Michael Bay? What's this world coming to...

Wait, Gatsby and Seanc... You guys think he should get it?

I am so confused right now.
I don't think he should but I think he could. It feels like Mad Max's year. I did not love this film like so many do. I do see why people are eating it up however. It's really well done and I don't have a problem with all its noms. Unless it got a screenplay nod, can't remember. I think it is a joke that it has even been mentioned in that category.

Definitely between Miller and Inarritu.
I agree, and it's a tough call. I'd probably give my vote to Miller because of how insanely difficult it must have been to direct Mad Max. Working in the desert and coordinating all the stunts and everything to create such an action-packed atmosphere was quite an impressive feat.

I'm a fan of Mad Max and George Miller but I'm going with Inarritu.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The technical work Miller did for Mad Max was insane.

The drama behind the scenes of The Revenant might hurt the film. As well as Inarritu winning last year.

But it will be one of those two.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I don't think Inarritu wins it two years in a row, so I'm taking him out. I wasn't as impressed by Fury Road, but I realize the impact it made on most. Popcorn films don't seem to win, especially not against this year's field. Sans Miller. Today was the first I had ever heard of the Room, so...

That would leave me with Spotlight and the Big Short, both of which I really enjoyed. I have to go Spotlight. I really miss Michael Keaton and he was so good in this. The entire cast was good and this film just worked so well (except for the end kinda). I don't know enough to say what credit goes to the director as opposed to the actors and yadda ya. The Big Short was really good, but just didn't have the feel of cohesive greatness that Spotlight did.

How dare the Oscars not nominate Villeneuve.
Agreed. I don't really give a stuff about these things but I find it quite strange given his output over the last decade, he's not really been given the recognition he deserves. The man is a freak film-maker.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Villeneuve's direction in Sicario is extremely good. I would have loved to have seen him get a nod. But Mofo's...we can correct this.

Simply nominate him in this year's Mofo Film Awards!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

1. George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Alejandro G. Iñárritu, The Revenant
3. Adam McKay, The Big Short
4. Lenny Abrahamson, Room
5. Tom McCarthy, Spotlight

Inarritu is quite frankly a really boring director. Would give it to Miller, the set pieces in Mad Max were impressive even if the film was mediocre overall.