Apologies to the forum's members

Tools    

Guap, I have a feeling you'll vehemently deny it, but you do know that modern Japanese animation (since you hate the term anime so much) was heavily influence by: you guessed it, Disney, an American company.

Osamu Tezuka, referred to as the "God of Manga", and whose art style had by-far the most influence on Japanese animation today, admitted several times that Disney was a huge inspiration for him, and that he allegedly watched Bambi 80 times. So maybe that's one reason not to hate America so much?

Guap, I have a feeling you'll vehemently deny it, but you do know that modern Japanese animation (since you hate the term anime so much) was heavily influence by: you guessed it, Disney, an American company.

Osamu Tezuka, referred to as the "God of Manga", and whose art style had by-far the most influence on Japanese animation today, admitted several times that Disney was a huge inspiration for him, and that he allegedly watched Bambi 80 times. So maybe that's one reason not to hate America so much?
Another solid point he will absolutely ignore. Why? Because he honestly does not care what he's talking about. He uses this topic as a crutch to troll.

If Im against something and someone is stating otherwise, then its on. Me and that person trade points, facts, perspectives......I wont absolutely ignore their points because I honestly believe what Im saying. I wont ignore those points to keep the "topic" going, just for the sake of keeping the topic going, like Guap does. He uses this topic as a crutch to troll, and he freely is the one insulting us.

I was a DJ in the rave scene in the late 90s / early 2000s. I spun mostly trance and psytrance. My friends and I would get into dance circles and battle at the parties - lots of fun! I don't dance that much these days, sadly. I am sure Guap will be familiar with some Psytrance, as Brazil has one of the most active and vibrant Psy scenes on the planet.

Really, I love many, many styles of music, but metal is one of my favorites. I also play guitar almost every day and I tend to focus my playing on metal, for the most part.
I love me some good trance. I think the best I listened to were Sasha & Digweeds: Communicate Disc 2, and for dance DJ Baby Anne: Bass Queen In The Mix 2

A system of cells interlinked
Check out some Psytrance...

U-Reken - The Optimist

Astrix & Alien Project - We've Got Ice Crystal

Flip Flop - Floppy Drive

I am curious if when presented with examples that disprove your claims, you will consistently label them as anecdotal.

I was born and raised in the US, and exactly NONE of my favorite metal bands are from the US.

Dark Tranquillity - Sweden
Insomnium - Finland
Moonsorrow - Finland
Be'Lakor - Australia
Amon Amarth - Sweden
Novembre - Italy
Ghost B.C. - Sweden

Say, that reminds me...didn't Ghost B.C. win a Grammy Award here in the US for best metal performance just this past year? Supported with massive popularity and album sales in the US. That band is from Sweden.

You can take this an anecdotal, or perhaps as an example that there is a portion of the American population that doesn't fit your claims. The last metal show I went to just a month or so ago was packed full, and every band on the bill was from Sweden and Finland. I also saw Amon Amarth earlier in the year in one of the largest concert venues in Boston, and that show was sold out months before.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this, please.
Well, you are obviously not the average American in terms of musical consumption. Metal is not remotely mainstream in the US and the average American idea of metal is grunge mixed with rap like Korn.

I am not saying that the US is closed in the sense that its like Iran was in the 80's, I am saying that it's regarded as normal for Americans to only consume Anglo-American culture. Heck, my work mate said I was a weird person for having Crunchyroll.

I also went to metal concerts in the US of European bands and stuff. Well the same can be said that we have 100,000 people in an anime convention in Los Angeles. While I teach classes with half of the class of foreign students and there are student clubs for many types of foreign culture in the university I work for and there are all kinds of people in the US.

But that doesn't change my claim in the slightest. Even being aware of all of that I still have the same impression of American culture as I said here because even if 10% are not xenophobes then you can have everything I mention in the paragraph above.

While I teach classes with half of the class of foreign students and there are student clubs for many types of foreign culture in the university I work fof.
I do not believe, a word of this. Nope, not even a little

Just stating that the US is a inward looking, arrogant and xenophobic culture does not mean I hate the US. Its just that it's imperfect like every other culture. These defects are manifested everywhere you look.

I don't think Disney's influence on Tekuza's work was higher than on other Japanese comic artists. But of course smart people are not affected by xenophobia: Stanley Kubrick wanted to hire Tezuka for 2001's sci fi designs and while 99% of Americans never touched a manga many American movies and TV shows are made by artists with heavy inspiration from manga.

Anyway I don't hate the US. I still have the impression its more like a bubble than other countries its just that it allows its citizens to be free doing what they want to do so if 10% are not xenophobic idiots then we already have subcultures built by them.

Wouldn't say it's a little bit of a logical leap to go from: ''Often times american make the mistake of considering that manga is a genre whilst it's a medium'' to ''american culture is xenophobic''?

....Anyway I don't hate the US. I still have the impression its more like a bubble than other countries its just that it allows its citizens to be free doing what they want to do so if 10% are not xenophobic idiots then we already have subcultures built by them.
Stop the f***** name calling already! I'm sick of it!
We shouldn't have to be trolled by the likes of you. You clearly hate everything around you. You hate MoFo and you made up a whopping lie about Yoda claiming he implied that "K-On! is for pedophiles."

What's that got to do with anything? Either it shares an aesthetic, or not, and that doesn't have anything to do with how much of it is made. This is a non-sequitur.
No because if region A makes the vast majority of comics and animation made in the world would tend to imply that the vast majority of styles in existence in the world would be also from A.

I think it's quite arrogant for Anglophones to say that all this enormous culture has the same style while their far less diverse and sophisticated comics and animation is not a "style". Or should I say every Jewish-Christian animation and comic follows the Jewish-Christian comic style? Their diversity of styles is smaller than East Asian comics and animation.

Also, the last time we discussed this, you posted examples of different anime "styles," and I pointed out (to no response, which is why I'm repeating this) that nearly all of them would still be easily recognizable as Asian even by people who didn't watch much anime. That wouldn't be possible if there were no common style.
Being recognized as asian would only mean that the western comic authors havent used the same set of styles. So it's a large and broad set of distinct styles that are commonly used in East Asian comics and not commonly used in Western comics.

Anyway there is plenty of Japanese influence on the graphic style of even modern Disney movies and much more on TV shows like Totally Spies.

It's only "very insulting" if you have an unhealthy emotional attachment to it.
I see so now I have an "unhealthy emotional attachment". And the personal insults keep coming it. I never insulted you why you need to insult me?

To me it sounds like it's obviously insulting to say that the bulk of the world's comics have the same style just because they are made in the same country. Its like saying that all American movies have the same American directing style. Even though it's true American movies have some degree of shared directing style the differences between the directors are much more pronounced.

Your habit of misremembering/misrepresenting what people have said is a big problem, and a big red flag.
You did far worse than that. I will not waste my time on examples though I am tired of this.

As is the fact that, when it's pointed out, you rarely acknowledge the error, let alone apologize for it. For example, when Vicky quoted what I actually said, you simply started talking about K-On!. Why? The actual nature of K-On! has absolutely nothing to do with the topic
You are judging something you don't know in a state of complete arrogance: you said that K-On! popularity is derived from sex appeal of its character's who are minors (implying its popularity was "pedophilia" in that broad sense of being attracted to minors). That is not true: the show is regarded as prudish in Japan and it even aired on the family TV channels like Disney while Western fans also don't see it as sexualized.

I will not answer to further arguments from you (too much time wasted).

Wouldn't say it's a little bit of a logical leap to go from: ''Often times american make the mistake of considering that manga is a genre whilst it's a medium'' to ''american culture is xenophobic''?
No because I never made that jump.

American culture is xenophobic because it's regarded as abnormal for Americans to be heavily interested in the rest of the world. For instance, Bluedeed once made the claim that he was not "intimidated" by "foreign movies", as if being intimidated by movies made in other countries is normal for an American movies buff.

Its regarded as normal here for you to only watch American movies and have top favorites with only American stuff and they get angry when I point out that they are "fans of American movies". Even though there is not actual inherent difference between American and non-American movies they act as if there were. They judge movies based on nationality.

Of course thinking that all manga is the same is a clear symptom of that xenophobia: its stereotyping of stuff you don't know because it's foreign.

Now I am not saying the US is the only country to do that: The western world in general is xenophobic regarding the rest. Its a big problem in general and not restricted to the US, although I think the US is more problematic than Brazil in that respect. Although actually Brazilian culture has many severe problems of its own (extreme machismo and homophobia and is more repressive of individual deviants).

Stop the f***** name calling already! I'm sick of it!
We shouldn't have to be trolled by the likes of you. You clearly hate everything around you.
No. I like you. Although you don't like me.

You hate MoFo
MoFo doesn't exist as such: its a diverse group of people. I like some people here and dislike others just like every single social environment.

and you made up a whopping lie about Yoda claiming he implied that "K-On! is for pedophiles."
Well, he did since he claimed sexuality (of its underage characters) was a part of the shows appeal. Anyway, Miss Vicky said "pedophiles" explicitly. I didn't like that, I think it's extremely arrogant and xenophobic to judge the product of a foreign culture you don't know, specially in such negative way. Although I know plenty of examples of stuff for pedophiles in manga.

K-On is not one of them nor are the other cute girls doing cute things stuff which are all mostly prudish.

Life is to short for this. I will not post in this thread anymore. If you don't like what I say you can just ignore me.

There is no point in arguing over this further. Obviously people are offended when I claim the US is an inward looking, arrogant and xenophobic culture. It is but obviously nobody here will admit that their beloved country is not perfect.

Americans like to think they are individualist but they get insulted on a personal level if I criticize an aspect of the country they live in.

Well, he did since he claimed sexuality (of its underage characters) was a part of the shows appeal.
Just because sexuality isn't intended to be part of K-On's appeal doesn't mean that it isn't actually part of it.

And as to your claims that the show is "prudish," you said yourself that the show's fans view the girls as lesbians. If it was actually prudish, there'd be no consideration of the sexuality of a bunch of young girls.

Anyway, Miss Vicky said "pedophiles" explicitly. I didn't like that, I think it's extremely arrogant and xenophobic to judge the product of a foreign culture you don't know, specially in such negative way. Although I know plenty of examples of stuff for pedophiles in manga.
Frankly, I don't give a damn what you like or don't like. I still fail to see what appeal that movie would have for anyone who isn't either a teenaged schoolgirl or someone who fetishizes teen schoolgirls. In any case, judging "the product of a foreign culture" is not the same as judging the culture itself. Moreover, by nominating K-On! The Movie for the Hall of Fame you were asking me to judge it.

Americans like to think they are individualist but they get insulted on a personal level if I criticize an aspect of the country they live in.
Sounds like a Brazilian I know who gets insulted on a personal level if someone criticizes an aspect of a type of animated film from a certain Asian country.

Life is to short for this. I will not post in this thread anymore. If you don't like what I say you can just ignore me.

There is no point in arguing over this further. Obviously people are offended when I claim the US is an inward looking, arrogant and xenophobic culture. It is but obviously nobody here will admit that their beloved country is not perfect.

You mean there are no Liberals on this board?

I'm behind you, Guap. BLM (Brazilian Lives Matter).

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2 things:

1.Merry Christmas guys
2.I'm taking bets on the next time this happens with Guap; he's told us for the fortieth time that he won't post about it, i have 4 reps on February 2017.

Guap is the biggest joke the forum has ever had.

And that is not because of his failed attempts at trolling the forum. It is his ignorant and persistent way to keep going on about the same bullsh*t every time and usually bringing it up himself by saying something utterly stupid towards anything that is American or if his precious anime gets criticized...

But all in all, the main problem always seem to be the same: you never ever ever ever seem to be able to understand or comprehend anything that is not spoken from your side of a discussion. And the funny thing is, you usually talk a lot about how we are not on the same level as you or are able to understand the things you do. But no, the problem really is that you have created your own bubble of beautiful amazingness and invites no one in there except yourself... but oh how you talk about how amazing and not the least correct it is in there...

We are wrong and you are right. That's how it always is and will always be. We have a counterpoint to your discussion, you won't even try to understand it. Not a single bit. And as Camo mentioned all the way back, the icing of the cake is how you critize us for not understanding anime and expanding our mind and taste, but you are one of the most single and simpleminded people I know - mostly discussion-wise but clearly also movietaste-wise.

Get real, or get out. Simple. Your bullsh*t is old, worn out. We've been there, done that. YOU need to change, Guap, that's all that needs to happen for everything to work out.

I think it's quite arrogant for Anglophones to say that all this enormous culture has the same style while their far less diverse and sophisticated comics and animation is not a "style".
First, I don't recall anyone saying American culture didn't have a style. Sounds like another straw man. And second, while it does have broad stylistic tendencies, it stands to reason that a less homogeneous culture--particularly one that has a tendency to import talent from the rest of the world--would have a less discernible style.

Being recognized as asian would only mean that the western comic authors havent used the same set of styles.
...which was the entire thing being argued about. Remember, you dismissed the idea that they have different styles, because you had to rule that out to leave bigotry as the only remaining explanation. Yet here, you admit they do use a different "set of styles." QED.

I see so now I have an "unhealthy emotional attachment".
You told me criticizing your favorite shows was like criticizing someone's religion. You're saying you think that's healthy?

To me it sounds like it's obviously insulting to say that the bulk of the world's comics have the same style just because they are made in the same country.
See, look what just happened: "just because they are made in the same country." You added that part. Saying something generally has a similar/noticeable style is not the same thing as saying it had to have that style simply because of where it was made.

Every argument I've had with you has gone this same way: an extreme opening statement, followed by questioning that reveals it isn't warranted, followed by you exaggerating or misrepresenting what was said to make that initial statement look more reasonable. The only explanation I can come up with is that you don't respond to what people actually say (let alone mean), you just respond to how it makes you feel. So if someone dismisses some animated film you love, it doesn't matter if they gave you zero reason to suspect their dismissal was based on bigotry: it makes you feel bad, therefore they must have meant it in some horribly malicious way. As I've said many times, this can all be traced back to a simple failure of empathy: placing an outsized importance on your own feelings and interests relative to those of others.

You are judging something you don't know in a state of complete arrogance: you said that K-On! popularity is derived from sex appeal of its character's who are minors (implying its popularity was "pedophilia" in that broad sense of being attracted to minors).
False. Read the post again:

I don't see any basis for your (fairly provocative) claim that you have to think all men are pedophiles to find some of these images sexual. Nor is suggesting that the sexual aspect is part of the appeal the same thing as saying everyone who likes it is a pedophile.
This is me explicitly saying that having sexuality play some role does not mean it's just for pedophiles, or that liking it makes you one. So, hilariously, this was you exaggerating someone's claim again, me explaining that the claim was much more nuanced...and then you misremembering it later as lacking nuance! That's an incredible commitment to rationalization that I have to think is borderline willful.

I will not answer to further arguments from you (too much time wasted).
You're not answering them now, so this won't be much of a change.