#Oscarssowhite

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
It kinda saddens me that someone got banned for saying "jerkoff" while the person who used the word "cishet" is still around.
Because me using slang to quickly sum up actual facts about public figures is so much worse than someone responding to mod warnings with sarcastic epithets.

Because me using slang to quickly sum up actual facts about public figures is so much worse than someone responding to mod warnings with sarcastic epithets.
I'm disturbed at how quickly power hungry Tacitus banned him. We've dealt with JRS for centuries. Various soap opera incarnations played out. 855 billion temp bans. But this MovieFan character was axed in a flash. This place saddens me. Getting ugly around here.

I'm disturbed at how quickly power hungry Tacitus banned him. We've dealt with JRS for centuries. Various soap opera incarnations played out. 855 billion temp bans. But this MovieFan character was axed in a flash. This place saddens me. Getting ugly around here.
Check moviefan555's profile. They originally registered over seven years ago - that should be more than enough time to grasp the house rules involving etiquette and moderators. That being said, how come the mods don't have little mod badges anymore? Like foster said, it's very likely that moviefan thought Tacitus was just a regular member who was trying to act tough. Even so, if your response to someone warning you to stop being rude is to immediately do some ridiculous "ooh I'm so scared, what are you gonna do, ban me?" posturing, then the odds of you being interested in carrying out a civil discussion are...pretty slim.

Check moviefan555's profile. They originally registered over seven years ago - that should be more than enough time to grasp the house rules involving etiquette and moderators.
Oh, give me a break.

Like foster said, it's very likely that moviefan thought Tacitus was just a regular member who was trying to act tough. Even so, if your response to someone warning you to stop being rude is to immediately do some ridiculous "ooh I'm so scared, what are you gonna do, ban me?" posturing, then the odds of you being interested in carrying out a civil discussion are...pretty slim.
You shouldn't judge -- that's very politically incorrect of you. You don't know what depths there might have been to Moviefan555 or whatever he was called. What else he might have said.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I thought you might appreciate the way we tend to give more leeway to people who've been posting here for a long time. You of all people.

Still, you can take it up with me via PM if you have any real concerns,

Well, you won't have to deal with me for much longer anyway since I know how you guys feel. Soon you will all be free.

There's so much drama recently on movie forums I feel like I'm watching an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians... (I've never watch that st*pid show).

There's so much drama recently on movie forums I feel like I'm watching an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians... (I've never watch that st*pid show).
Iroquois is totally Caitlyn.

If you've never watched it, then how do you know that this is what it feels like?

Iroquois is totally Caitlyn.
I saw this post first and thought you meant MoFo Caitlyn.

It certainly seems like the right year. If anything, the fact that there's been an increase in nominations/wins since the beginning of the 21st century only makes the fact that there have now been two consecutive years without any acting nominees of colour even more egregious.
Really? It's more egregious than if it hadn't started happening at all?

Trying to reference just how many black people have won or been nominated in the past isn't enough to off-set matters
Does this mean you believe there should always be X number of minority nominees, and that if there aren't in a given year, that needs to be "off-set" in subsequent years?

It becomes an issue if it looks like there's a pattern emerging, which is the case when there just so happens to be two consecutive lots of all-white nominees. That's why this year's criticism of the nominees has escalated into a more significant boycott - one time could be an anomaly, but twice in a row is a little harder to accept. Things aren't helped by the Academy trying to shrug this off through their host's jokes (such as NPH's "best and whitest" crack at last year's ceremony).
You're kind of talking past me here: the statement I made isn't about this specific instance. It's an explanation as to why people dismiss criticisms like the one you're making right now: because it starts with racism as its null hypothesis. Disparities are taken as prima facie evidence of systemic racism. That's where a lot of people who do think racism is real and serious, like myself, get off the train.

I'm not sure how such a field could be randomised anyway, let alone what effect it would have on the probability of all the nominees being white. Without a definite amount of nominees from which to create a representative sample size, there's no telling how often you'd end up with an all-white array of nominees. For all we know, "occasionally" could end up being a gross underestimation, but without concrete data to build off, examining probabilities like this feels fundamentally pointless.
Pretty sure this is missing the point, but nevermind. Here's some concrete data: African-Americans are a little over 12% of the population and have made up about 10% of the Oscar nominations since 2000. For Oscar winners, it's actually higher than their share of the population.

Why not? What if it's the systemic racism itself that is preventing people of colour from making sufficient headway in that industry in the first place?
Because if being a racial minority is a fundamentally different experience (and it seems reasonable to believe that it is), you can't cordon off the implications of that fact when they're inconvenient. Different life experiences inevitably means different choices, which mean more different life experiences, and so on. Case in point: what do you think the racial demographics of country music and hip-hop are? Do you think those are evidence of racism, of differences in choice, or both? And how do you know?

Go another level down: let's say the initial choices about how many people enter what industry are subtly influenced by racial issues, but that each industry is largely a meritocracy for those already inside it. What then?

If that's what needs to be dismantled in order for people of colour to provide even an approximate reflection of their overall numbers within the general population then people probably shouldn't be so quick to disregard or even defend allegations of misrepresentation.
Nor should they be so quick to make or even defend allegations of racism.

I'd love a version of this discussion where the seriousness of racism was directly reflected in how careful we were about leveling accusations of it. Instead, it gets diluted by the cognitive dissonance of people who think it's very serious indeed, but not in a way that requires they exhibit much caution about who to brand with it.

Yeah, correlation does not equate to causation and all that. If nothing else, the decision to start inducting new members from a wider variety of backgrounds can at least be seen as an experiment to either prove or disprove any inherent biases on the part of the Academy's current members.
It wouldn't really do that. But I'm all for it: it should be overhauled, and it should be more diverse. And I can simultaneously agree with this, while still thinking that assuming racism based on fluctuations in tiny nominee sample sizes is a major leap of logic that's working backwards from a conclusion.

Besides, fixing things from the top-down is arguably the most pragmatic way to resolve such a perpetually steep uphill struggle
I'm not sure how to argue with someone who's just saying something is "arguable." We'll find out if it's arguable by arguing about it. Here, I'll start: no, trying to change culture-wide problems by enforcing quasi-quotas at the highest levels of specific industries is not a good or pragmatic idea.

and who's to say the Academy isn't responsible for doing cultural policing of its own?
Uh...nobody? But then, that isn't mutually exclusive with anything I'm saying.

It kinda saddens me that someone got banned for saying "jerkoff" while the person who used the word "cishet" is still around.
I had to look up the word cishet as I've never heard it before. I found out it's an ugly word on par with the n word.

From the Urban Dictionary.

cishet
An abbreviation of cisgendered (opposite of "transgender") heterosexual: a person that identifies as the sex they were born as and are attracted to the opposite. Mostly used in social justice circles as an ad hominem attack to people who have to audacity to be born identifying with their birth gender and have an opinion different than theirs/zheirs/xirs.

I had to look up the word cishet as I've never heard it before. I found out it's an ugly word on par with the n word.
In a way it might as well be. Even if it's not meant to be offensive, why go around calling a heterosexual non-transgender person a "cishet?" These words are not necessary. They're part of the transgender community's beliefs about gender that they're trying to enforce on everyone else. It might as well be like calling a gay person a "fa**ot." They're giving people not like them names and telling them to accept it under the guise that it's not supposed to be offensive. That might as well be like saying black people are "colored people" or an n word or whatever.

Yup, I figured that out long ago.

Being non-PC for me though isn't about hating on anything that's PC. It's about standing up for my own beliefs and not being pushed around by this systematic oppression that's trying to take away everyones freedom of speech. I know for a fact that I'm not racist or homophobic or misogynistic, but I also feel that I don't need to "prove myself" to the PC crowd by bowing down to anything or everything a black or homosexual person does.

Political Correctness did start out with good intentions, I do believe that. Over the past decade or so though it has been morphed into this weird, twisted campaign of greed and gain that is actually helping to keep racism alive and well. Because if racism was truly gone, there would be no one to blame and point fingers at.