The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Fail-Safe was my #12. It was recommended by someone during a personal hall and I was really impressed with it. From my review:

The film is really dramatic and intense, with edge of your seat suspense and high stakes. The viewer doesn't know how things will go down until they do. The screenplay is pretty much flawless and the performances are all excellent. This is a really intelligent film with something worthwhile to say about the systems of politics and war and ultimately taking responsibility for our own actions. Fail safe is thrilling and chilling and very compelling. I was invested in the characters and the events that were happening. I don't throw around the m word very often, but I'm going to call this a masterpiece and add it to my list of favourite films. This is an essential film.

I haven't seen any of the War and Peace films.

Seen: 15/26

On my ballot: 5/26

Fail-Safe was my #12. It was recommended by someone during a personal hall and I was really impressed with it...
That was me! Fail Safe is a great film and one I considered for my ballot. I've seen a number of films about SAC which was America's Strategic Air Command early warning system and quick nuclear response to an attack from the Soviet Union.

Only watched Fail Safe once way back in the hall it was nominated for. I remember being unimpressed enough that I was truly baffled by others responses. It’s Lumet though, it will get a second chance at some point.

War and Peace rocks. I will say that two more times and then reveal where I had my part as a stand in for, you know, the actual whole movie.

You know if all 4 parts of War and Peace make it, that will be 3 movies that won't be making the countdown. Too late now, but I wish we had all 4 parts of War and Peace counting as one film.

I'm with @seanc and I never got the hype around Fail-Safe. I don't think it even came up on my radar as a war film. I didn't have 1812 because I haven't seen any of Bonarchuk'ss War and Peace.

Haven't seen these two.

Seen: 11/26

My ballot:  

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
You know if all 4 parts of War and Peace make it, that will be 3 movies that won't be making the countdown. Too late now, but I wish we had all 4 parts of War and Peace counting as one film.
Isn't this the same situation as LOTR and the 2000's countdown?

Haven't seen Fail-Safe. As mentioned upthread, I've seen all of War and Peace, though neither of the four films made my ballot. I expected part 3 to make it a decent bit higher, but now that it was listed, it looks like parts 1 and 2 won't make the countdown.

Here's what I wrote on War and Peace upthread:

Since War and Peace, Part IV made the list, I'm sure part 3 and maybe part 1 will make this list as well. I didn't vote for any of them, but given how untouchable and impressive it was with creating such an epic scope, it deserves to be heralded as one of the greatest achievements in cinema. It's the most "they don't make them like they used to" action/war film I can think of. Though cgi tends to be the go-to choice for depicting large scale action/fight scenes, I don't actually think it suits them that well. Don't get me wrong - cgi isn't inherently bad by any means. There's just a certain kind of thrill and awe to seeing something physically real on a large scale which cgi can't replicate. It feels manufactured, regardless of how polished it may look by today's standards. Of course, all the effort put into the battle scenes of War and Peace would've been moot if the arrangement of them had been sloppy, but Bondarchuk is able to frame all of them in a highly pleasing way as the various set pieces and geometric patterns of the hundreds of extras onscreen throughout them are all intricately designed and crafted.

With that being said, I felt the film dragged at times during the talk-heavy/slower bits. And this isn't to say the rest of the film is bad or anything. It just pales in comparison to the battle scenes and, if you were to remove the war scenes, I doubt the film would've made much of an impact at all. Some scenes throughout the dialogue-heavy bits are still high quality (I love the drunk scene at the start of part 1, in particular), but a great deal more of them don't mean much to me. The film may fare better with a rewatch though. Who knows.

Anyways, I like part 3 and part 4 about as much as each other (I sometimes jump back and forth over which one I prefer). Part 1 is a bit behind both of them. Part 2 is my least favorite.

The weird part to me is that it's on another countdown we did not too long ago as 1 movie.

Who thinks Attack (1956) will show up? Is it too late in the game for it? I know some MoFos though highly of it as they recommended it to me in my Citizen Goes To War thread...I only just seen the movie last night...pretty impressive.

Who thinks Attack (1956) will show up? Is it too late in the game for it? I know some MoFos though highly of it as they recommended it to me in my Citizen Goes To War thread...I only just seen the movie last night...pretty impressive.
My guess would be no chance, but there's been other movies that I didn't realize had a following.

My guess would be no chance, but there's been other movies that I didn't realize had a following.
I don't know if I would've had room on my ballot for it if I had watched it before the countdown...but damn it was striking in it's acting, story and cinematography. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. As noted earlier, I do think War and Peace as a whole is good but not enough that I voted for multiple installments - there was a part of me that wondered if there might be at least one installment that didn't make the list, but I guess we'll see about that. Haven't seen Fail-Safe.