The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

District 9 was just... unexpectedly fun. Makes us look at alien in a new light.

Edge of Tomorrow, I though I had seen it, but I haven't.

The List is getting better now.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
District 9 was my #9 film. When I first saw this flick, I was blown away by how energetic it was. Telling a modern story with relevant issues behind an alien invasion/class segregation surface was refreshing. Blomkamp put himself on the map with this one and we got Sharlto Copley as a result too. Despite Blomkamp not having made a good film since District 9, his first outing still holds up. Excellent character journey, timeless themes and exciting effects that drive the last action filled act really make this film entertaining. It was my #2 of 2009, only to be beaten by the emotional journey Pixar took me on with Up.

Edge of Tomorrow was my #25. I felt like I had to squeeze this one in because it really took me by surprise. I laughed at how ridiculous the thing looked from the previews, but was shocked at how engaged I was from the very beginning. Cruise delivers, as he always does. He dedicates himself to each role he takes on and makes a coward becoming a hero very believable. Blunt works well off him as well, but it's the tone of this film that really sets it apart. Embracing the sci/fi elements and surprisingly, comedy, Edge of Tomorrow was one of the more underrated films of that year. It took home the Biggest Surprise Mofo Film Award in 2014. So I'm not alone on this one. Glad to see it place on the list.

My List:
#9: District 9
#17: Avatar
#21: Donnie Darko
#25: Edge of Tomorrow
Well said, love both Dirstrict 9 and Edge of Tomorrow. District 9 is the first film to show up from my list at number 21. Sadly I completely forgot about Edge of Tomorrow or it would have been in my top 15 probably and made it higher on the list, Blunt is fantastic as Rita Vrataski, and Tom Cruise reminds us all what a fantastic actor he is, switching between intense, hilarious, bleak and exhausted, terrified and all of it totally believable. Ive probably watched EoT more than any other film in the past 4-5 years.

I don't like most Action-CG-Hollywood-Blockbuster movies...but I loved Edge of Tomorrow, so you know it's a good movie! Not on my list because I didn't have the room.
My short review of Edge of Tomorrow

Even if you don't like Tom, watch Edge of Tomorrow for a cool performance by Bill Paxton who plays a colorful tough, southern sergeant in charge of the grunts. Eat them cards![/size]

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Loved Edge of Tomorrow, it was the last movie to get cut from my list before I sent it in. It took me a long time to see District 9 for some reason. When I saw it 3-4 years after its release, I really liked it. Unfortunatley not quite enough to make it onto my list.

Seen 24/36

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
neither, gun? I would have thought you'd have seen EoT, but, you're not much for Cruise, are you? --can't remember.
But EoT is definitely up your alley.

Seen both of these and like quite a few others, Edge of Tomorrow really should have been on my list but just didn't make the final cut. Totally see how it won the Surprise MoF award, I was pretty surprised by it myself. Very good movie, helluva good action and sci-fi flick.

My List: 4/25
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#11 Silent Running (#76)
#18 Time Machine (#69)
#23 Logan's Run (#71)

Watched: 27/36

As much as I dislike Tom Cruise, I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. I had it at number 20 on my list. There was a pretty good Bill Paxton role in it as well.

District 9 was one of those movies that I almost turned off because I hated the beginning (with the shakey cam). But ended up really liking it and tell people to give it a chance beyond the first 20 minutes. Due to its ability to win me over, I put it on my list.

4. War of the Worlds (1953)
7. The Time Machine (1960)
11. Logan's Run
25. District 9

neither, gun? I would have thought you'd have seen EoT, but, you're not much for Cruise, are you? --can't remember.
But EoT is definitely up your alley.

Seen both of these and like quite a few others, Edge of Tomorrow really should have been on my list but just didn't make the final cut. Totally see how it won the Surprise MoF award, I was pretty surprised by it myself. Very good movie, helluva good action and sci-fi flick.

My List: 4/25
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#11 Silent Running (#76)
#18 Time Machine (#69)
#23 Logan's Run (#71)

Watched: 27/36
Cruise is fine, but I am not rushing out to see his movies.

I THOUGHT it was a Cruise thing with you. Well, should you stumble upon it. . .
I avoided it because the advertising just did not appeal to me. But I have heard lots of good things about it. So I will check it out eventually.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
that was how I felt initially too. D@mn shame when the advertisement makes you NOT want to see something. I remember it being played off as a gaming reference: that whole Fight. Die. Repeat. bit really fell short of what the movie ended up being.
I had no wish to see it and then my room mate chose it at the library with a shrug, remarking "Hey, we haven't seen this one. Let's try it."

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yeah they struggled big time with marketing, constant name changes for the film.

They should've just said "look if you like Groundhog Day (which is every ****ing one) then you will love this ****".

...D@mn shame when the advertisement makes you NOT want to see something. I remember it being played off as a gaming reference: that whole Fight. Die. Repeat. bit really fell short of what the movie ended up being.
Me too, I almost didn't watch Edge of Tomorrow for the same reason, I thought it looked like a video-game movie, I hate those. I'm glad I did watch it

I really like Edge of Tomorrow. I had it at #2 on my list.

I know that hate is a really strong word, but I absolutely hated District 9. After that film came out it made me angry whenever anyone asked me about it. I've been thinking that maybe I was a little hard on it, and that I should probably give it another chance, but anytime I mention it, my friends all say "NO!" in unison, because they don't want to hear about it again haha.

Seen: 26/36
My List: 4

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66

09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81

I usually hate remakes but the 2002 Time Machine is an exception, I liked it.
Glad I listened to you and watched it. The remake movie is endearing in a way.