Reading Tab

Tools    

Today I read 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell.Loved it.

Caught up on some (for me) essential reading during my holiday:

Nothing world-shocking here, but McInerney continues to show off his astonishing, smooth prose. When one thinks of another as a good, eloquent speaker, one says he has ' a way with words'. Well, Jay Mcinerney is the epitome of just that. Incredible writer.

I like a good wine now and then, but am certainly no grand expert. I read this purely out of interest for McInerney's way of writing. It's brilliant, exceptional writing. If you care a bit about wine, you should read it.

And some others:

A Farewell to Arms (Hemingway)
Beloved Warrior: The Rise and Fall of Alexis Arguello (Giudice)

Will give Jay a try. I highly recommend James Lee Burke, whose prose reads like poetry. He is no doubt the best current American crime fiction writer.

Transition to Advanced Mathematics

Well, there goes (most of) my extracurricular reading funtime...

In between pulling my hair out looking at proofs I'm at least halfway done with this novel that a friend of mine just got published (congrats, Hal!):

So far it's very weird and awesome.

I am also enjoying John Sayles' second novel, Union Dues.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Woo, good stuff. My mates just keep aspiring to write the Wire and failing horribly. (And I just keep laughing at them for it - not sure this is productive )

He gets an almost ideal review online: 'If you take Roald Dahl's James & the Giant Peach, Lewis Carrol's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, and Dan Brown's DaVinci Code and combine them all together into one book, then you'll have an idea of what Immortal Lycanthropes is like to read.'

Why are you inserting maths into your head until your hair falls out by the way? Is it something you wanna do more with? Or just for the challenge and that?

Edit: forgot to mention I'm also reading Little Women - Louisa May Alcott.

Don't mean to overstate the "math is hard" theme. Really just textbooks are evil reading in general. At best they're a necessary evil. I'm studying because: 1) my job benefits pay for 85% of tuition (that's a lot of samolians here in the States). That's a shame not to take advantage of. 2) math is hard, but it's also really interesting and fun when you "get" it. 3) I don't think I'd have the patience/organization to learn this on my own or in some online class; it's not something that comes naturally to me on the whole. Plus nothing can beat having access to lots of brilliant minds to pick in direct conversation. That's always been the best part of the school experience for me.

Why math instead of some other subject that comes more easily to me? Tough question. I think there is a little bit of that "picking hard things to prove something". On the other hand I do know for sure that whatever I choose to study I'll get bored of it after a while and something completely different will start to look more appealing (just look at my reading list here). I'm a dabbler who likes to dabble in cycles.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ah cool. Yeah I get the idea of chasing the other / stuff you're weak at. I always regret that I shied away from the deeper end of maths (on the angsty-teen grounds that I thought it'd chase out the arty creativity from my brain).

Have fun climbing them algorithmic hills

(EDIT: I'm toying with the idea of learning piano as my brain-changer, but I'll probably end up just reading round the edges of things instead - Gödel, Escher, Bach maybe? )

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I've never heard of this book but I want it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
My last few reads: Kafka on the Shore ~Haruki Murakami

The Hotel New Hampshire ~John Irving

Destination Morgue! ~James Ellroy

Rereads: It~Stephen King

The Blind Assassin ~Margaret Atwood

I was reading Moab Is My Washpot - An Autobiography by Stephen Fry.

Gave up on it with only like 40 pages left to go. It basically went nowhere and was full of nothing but musings on his sexuality and tales recounting his boyhood days at boarding school where he played... um, games... with the other boys.

I get that he's gay and and I get that his sexuality is big part of who he is, I'm also certainly not a prude, but I would have preferred reading about his career. Yet there's hardly any mention of it at all. Also there are a few statements that he makes in this book regarding sexuality in general that I can't agree with and that I find a bit disturbing.

He has published other books including novels and at least one other autobiography, but I think I'll stick with watching him in programs like Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Jeeves and Wooster, and Bones.

My last book which I read was "All Quiet On The Western Front".It is sooo praised so I expected something extraordinary but it disappointed me a bit,I preferred Black Obelisk.

but I would have preferred reading about his career. Yet there's hardly any mention of it at all.
Moab is my Washpot takes place during his earlier years, his second autobiography(I've yet to read this) takes place later and goes into his early career. If interested, it's called The Fry Chronicles.

I'll have to read Moab is my Washpot again, I don't remember been disturbed by anything he wrote on sexuality or him going on and on about his sexuality that it got on my nerves.

My last book which I read was "All Quiet On The Western Front".It is sooo praised so I expected something extraordinary but it disappointed me a bit,I preferred Black Obelisk.
Remarque is a great writer. Perhaps you should read his " Heaven Has No Favorites " .