The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That would be my one pointer...and anyone that watched the show True Detective and wondered what would the 70's version of it look like...
I coincidentally just finished watching all four seasons of True Detective, so maybe I should add this to my watch list.

I'm going to guess Frightened Inmate #2 for Long Day's Journey into Night.
Scarlett Lion was going to be my first guess for that, but they've already said they don't have any 1-pointers.

I'm also realizing that due to the relatively low number of ballots, my ballot is going to have a disproportionately higher impact than what I'm used to on these countdowns.
Now I'm going to feel doubly bad about any obvious choices I forgot when making my ballot (I've already have one big face palm of a miss and we haven't even started yet).

@Thief / @Citizen Rules

Hope some of the hosts is going to schedule his reveals for the early part of the mornings. So that, Europe can receive first dose early in the afternoon and second portion in the evening.
Early part of the morning? On what part of the planet? it is early morning here on the west coast of USA...it's 7:30 am and I just got up!

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Early part of the morning? On what part of the planet? it is early morning here on the west coast of USA...it's 7:30 am and I just got up!
I think it is clear on which part - on the hosts one of course.
Probably Thief to start earlier, it will be well scheduled.

5lists35points
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Director

Peter Yates, 1973

Starring

Robert Mitchum, Peter Boyle, Richard Jordan, Steven Keats

3lists36points
The American Friend
Director

Wim Wenders, 1977

Starring

Dennis Hopper, Bruno Ganz, Lisa Kreuzer, Gérard Blain

TRAILERS

The Friends of Eddie Coyle - After his last crime has him looking at a long prison sentence for repeat offenses, a low level Boston gangster decides to snitch on his friends to avoid jail time.

The American Friend - An American art forger in Hamburg decides to take part in a murder plot for extra cash and involves a picture framer as a hitman, but the scheme quickly goes sour.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle is #24 on my list. Here's a short review I wrote a few years ago:

This is an enjoyably gritty '70s crime flick. The "Friends" in the title might as well be in quotations because Eddie, the kind of cool, cynical and wizened Boston gangster Robert Mitchum was born to play, is finking on them in order to avoid a lengthy jail sentence. This absence of loyalty and assurance in the criminal underworld - as well as in the law's efforts to take it down - pervade this movie in this and other ways, whether it's in the dealings of Eddie's associate Jackie Brown, a cautious to a fault gun runner wonderfully played by Steven Keats, or in the machinations of Dave Foley, an ingenious cop slyly played by Richard Jordan. However, as this movie's bank robbery scenes make clear, the jobs are all about loyalty because even the slightest deviation from the plan can result in complete disaster. Speaking of these scenes, while they were filmed with an economy and a style that is a far cry from similar scenes in movies like Soderbergh's Ocean's Eleven or Affleck's The Town, they're still so tense that I forgot to breathe. These scenes do more showing than telling, but this is still a very talky movie, and while a lot of the dialogue crackles, it often comes across as long-winded. Even so, it's a flaw that only slightly affected my understanding of what was happening and my enjoyment on the whole. Besides, we should be thankful for how this and other flourishes likely influenced the works of directors such as James Gray and Quentin Tarantino.

I haven't seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle yet, but I have been meaning to for a while now. I have seen The American Friend and didn't really care for it.

Seen both, Eddie Coyle I remember enjoying but would most likely enjoy more now that i'm familiar with Mitchum and co. American Friend probably needs a revisit as I don't remember much about it despite Wenders style being one I enjoy.

I like that both films coincidentally have "friend" in the title, though I've seen neither haha. Love the beautifully fitting presentation here as well! Everyone really out did themselves for these two Countdowns!

Seen: 0/2

My List:
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

The dark, rainy atmosphere of The Chaser sets the perfect tone for a gloomy revenge thriller featuring an ex-cop, missing prostitutes, and a flawed system that has let a serial killer run free for years. It's a rather brutal film, and not just in its violence either, and was on my list at #25. It didn't make the Countdown, but at least I got to shine some light on it for a brief moment.

He deserves some credit, he threw some ideas out and made some additional suggestions after the first mockup that definitely improved it.

And yeah I'm really happy with the neon effect! It's fun.

Reply to Topic