The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

AWARDS?

The Manchurian Candidate gathered several wins and nominations. Some notable ones:
  • Two (2) Golden Globe Award nominations, including a win for Best Supporting Actress (Angela Lansbury)
  • Two (2) Academy Award nominations, including Best Supporting Actress (Lansbury)
  • Three (3) Laurel Award nominations, including Top Action Performance (Frank Sinatra)
  • One (1) BAFTA Award nomination for Best Film
  • One (1) National Board of Review Award for Best Supporting Actress (Lansbury)

Love Frankenheimer! Seven Days in May, The Train, Ronin, Birdman of Alcatraz and even Reindeer Games , to name a few. Nevertheless The Manchurian Candidate did not make my ballot.

Powerful performances from Poitier and Steiger, skillful directing showing both lead character's view points. Excellent title sequence song by Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Ray Charles.
In the Heat of the Night was my #22.

SEEN 3/4
BALLOT 2/25
25. Mirage (1965) - DNP 1-pointer
22. In the Heat of the Night (1967)

I finally watched The Friends of Eddie Coyle today. I thought it was good, but not great. I have now seen all 4 of the films on the list so far.

I have seen In the Heat of the Night. It has its strong moments. There are other films I prefer more. It does have its cultural significance for the time it was made though.

For whatever reason, I still have never seen The Manchurian Candidate. I would blindly guess, going into, it would read more like a political-thriller to me and wouldn't have guessed a connection to neo-noir. Don't know how much of that is misconception or just funginess of the genre (movement?). In terms of Frankenheimer, I still need to Seconds as well. That's probably higher up on my to watch list.
Oh, with Reindeer Games, I guess that makes it one entry and one one-pointer for him so far.

For whatever reason, I still have never seen The Manchurian Candidate. I would blindly guess, going into, it would read more like a political-thriller to me and wouldn't have guessed a connection to neo-noir. Don't know how much of that is misconception or just funginess of the genre (movement?). In terms of Frankenheimer, I still need to Seconds as well. That's probably higher up on my to watch list.
Like I said before, I really didn't think of it when making the list but I think there are some strong arguments in favor of it being considered noir in some of the articles I linked.

As for Frankenheimer, Seconds is indeed very good. Not sure if I would put it above Manchurian, but probably neck and neck. My favorite Frankenheimer is still The Train, though.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
This is the list of one-pointers that have been picked up already.
  • The Chaser (2008) - CosmicRunaway
SERIOUS points for this one being yours, my dear! I was hard put NOT to make room for this one. When my roommate and I got into South Korean films, this was one of those first ones that blew us away.

And LOVIN the Awards/Reviews/And Layout!!! BRA-The F@CK-VO!!!

This One-Pointer is mine:

[*] Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)

Jimmy 'The Saint' Tosnia: You gave me your word!
The Man With The Plan: I'm a criminal; my word don't mean dick!

After Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs came out in '92, there was a deluge of clever dialogue, sh#t going sideways by colorful characters, and this one remained endeared for me. Andy Garcia plays the epitome of cool and style as a guy in debt with the nickname "The Saint". A gangster known as "The Man With The Plan (Christopher Walken) takes up the marker and insists on a "favor" to wipe it out. Enter the inevitable colossal screw-up, and sh#t just gets worse and worse by his crew: Franchise (William Forsyte), Critical Bill (Treat Williams), and Pieces (Christopher Lloyd). Topping the ensemble for Colorful Characters screwing up and making things worse.

I am finally on the board for films seen with In The Heat of the Night. A legitimate placement in this Countdown, though I found it more of a Police Thriller, which is the ONLY reason it did not make my list. Great, GREAT film.

Seen 1 out of 4 (25%)
List

25. Things to do in Denver When You're Dead (1995) One-Pointer

In the Heat of the Night is a good film. The Manchurian Candidate a great one. A neo noir though? Hm like others it didn't even cross my mind to include it. But if Mark F says it be, then so be it a noir!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Both In the Heat of the Night and The Manchurian Candidate are really good, with the latter film being my favorite of the two. It might've had a shot of making my ballot had I rewatched it.

I forgot the opening line.
Well, it would have been remiss of me to not have seen these two reveals :

98. In the Heat of the Night - Got this on Criterion and watched it again not too long back (about a year or so) - I wonder if anyone else wants to punch the air with delight when Police chief Bill Gillespie (Rod Steiger) and his deputies discover that the man they've accused of murder, racially profiled and insulted, Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier) is a big-shot top homicide detective from Philadelphia. Talk about egg on your face! One of my favourite moments in movie history - but just because Tibbs is who he is doesn't mean he'll have an easy time of it in a town where racism is as natural as breakfast, lunch and dinner. He's ordered by his superior to help investigate the murder, and tries to do his job while constantly under threat from just about everyone. Poitier and Steiger are phenomenal - the friction and heat creating sparks that could blow a powder keg. 1970 sequel They Call Me Mister Tibbs! feels more like a TV pilot than feature film, and has been rightly forgotten (I think there was another one as well.) The first Best Picture winner on the Countdown (I wonder how many there will be.) No votes from me.

97. The Manchurian Candidate - I saw this quite a long time ago, so it isn't fresh in my memory. A tense, sweaty thriller that plays on the Cold War paranoia which was at it's absolute height at the time. Fear of Commies exerting mind control was running rampant, and this film gave literal voice to those concerns. Needs a rewatch for sure - I'll count it as seen, but when I watch it again it'll almost be like I'm seeing it for the first time.

Seen : 2/4
Heard of : 3/4

Thief - you are one extraordinarily hard working countdown host

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Haven't seen Eddie Coyle or American Friend. I have seen Manchurian Candidate and In the Heat of the Night. Probably due for a re-watch on both...neither made the list.

Kill Me Again was my #25. The chemistry between Val Kilmer and then wife Joanne Whalley was off the charts. The twisty storyline which involves a game of who's crossing who between Jack (Kilmer), Fay (Whalley) and Vince (Michael Madsen) was another highlight.

My List:

25. Kill Me Again (1989)

I have a lot of stuff going on today, so I will probably post my reveals very "early" (as in the next 20 minutes) or very "late" (as in the late afternoon). Stay tuned!

2lists37points
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Director

Anthony Minghella, 1999

Starring

Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett

3lists38points
Shallow Grave
Director

Danny Boyle, 1994

Starring

Kerry Fox, Christopher Eccleston, Ewan McGregor, Ken Stott

TRAILERS

The Talented Mr. Ripley - In late 1950s New York, a young con artist named Tom Ripley is sent to Italy to convince spoiled millionaire playboy Dickie Greenleaf to return home. But when the errand fails, Ripley takes extreme measures.

Shallow Grave - Three flatmates in Edinburgh set off a chain of events after finding out their mysterious new flatmate dead in his room, with a bag full of money.

I remember liking The Talented Mr. Ripley, but the truth is I haven't seen it since it came out. Should probably revisit it. Shallow Grave I saw for the Neo-noir Hall of Fame and I really liked it (read my review here). Didn't include it in my ballot, though.

I think Ripley started my love for PSH. I have seen it quite a few times but it had been a while now. Great Damon performance and the movie looks fantastic. I really love it but didn’t even think about it for my list. Which is weird actually, because I already voted for a Ripley tale that showed which I saw on tons of lists around the interwebs.

Shallow Grave is my first blind spot to show. I like Boyle fine, but just have never been in a hurry for it. Maybe this will give me a little push.

Well this is just annoyiing. I looked at both of yesterdays entries and couldn't see Neo Noir on either of them. I didn't have a complete list so I'd have definitely put both on. Especially The Manchurian Candidate as it might still be top 100 for me.

Not seen either of #100 or #99. Neither really look like I'd like them. Sometimes I think about The American Friend, but never actually watch it.

Shallow Grave is OK, but i was very underwhelmed by it. Maybe I was expecting too much? It was Boyle's breakthough here and quite popular. Mr Ripley I just never got around to and now Law and Paltrow put me off. I did record it about a month ago but deleted it a few days later as I just knew I wasn't going to get round to it.

I blind bought The Talented Mr. Ripley on VHS ages ago, but I don't think I ever actually watched it.

I watched Shallow Grave for the 15th MoFo Hall of Fame and - according to my write up - I liked it, but I don't remember it at all and didn't vote for it.

Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle, 1994)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/15/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching:15th Hall of Fame, nominated by @edarsenal
Rewatch: No.

Well that was a good bit of morbid, violent fun.

I went into this movie knowing absolutely nothing about it. I think the only other Danny Boyle films I’ve see were 28 Days Later, which I barely remember at all having seen it only once many years ago, and The Beach, which I have mixed feelings about. But right away I was drawn in. The film’s main trio of characters are a**holes – and we learn this from the very start. They take pleasure in tormenting others for their own amusement and we never really see a redeeming side to any of them nor do we ever learn much about them as people.

And yet, their journey from a relatively carefree existence, to one of paranoia, fear, deceit and violence is a really fascinating watch. As they began to turn on each other I found myself a bit conflicted as to which a**hole – if any – I wanted to see walk away with the prize and ultimately I was happy with the outcome.

But, aside from an entertaining story, there’s not a whole lot to say about this one as I really didn’t notice anything else. I suppose the cinematography and score worked well enough; I have no complaints about either. The performances were fine, but I don’t feel like these were roles that really demanded much of the people playing them.

All in all a good way to spend 90 minutes, but not anything I would consider particularly memorable.

+

Interesting we already have two of the Tom Ripley movies in the bottom ten. Can Purple Noon be far behind (or is it ahead)?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Reply to Topic