The Avengers Assemble

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Came across this article on the film which I really liked. Perfectly summed up why I loved the film in many ways.

The Avengers and the Restoration of Wonder

I'm totally with you on Loki. I mean, "like" is tough, because he's deliciously terrible. But yeah, in terms of performance Hiddleston really nailed it. I've heard a lot of reviewers single him out, too, which is nice.
Spot on! I actually feel bad for not mentioning him in my own personal review. He really does make for one of those great, villains you love to hate. I'd love him to stick around and be involved with the next Thor or Avengers film, though I'm not sure how many times we can see him defeated before he becomes a joke and a character with no real menace.

Really good review by the way Yoda. Though as is obvious from my gushing review I liked it more than you. Speaking of which I think I'll take the chance to again plug my own review for anyone who hasn't already seen it.

JayDee's Avengers Geek-out!

I didn't mean how you inferred. I referred to the film Sin City's visual style.
Ah. Yes, I misinterpreted.

I'm referring to capturing the comic book feel in a cinematic way, not just having comic characters in a decent movie.
I was, too. Those all give me a similar experience to reading comics. In fact, I may argue that the whole "Avengers Cycle" is possibly the closest a cinematic adaptation can come to recreating the comic book experience - the interconnected mythology, the cameos, the big crossover. Those are all cornerstones of the Marvel and DC super hero universes, and these six films captured that pretty well, IMO.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Came across this article on the film which I really liked. Perfectly summed up why I loved the film in many ways.

The Avengers and the Restoration of Wonder
Wonderful article! He's right, it was the sense of wonder that makes this movie so much fun. He compared it to LOTR; I agree that these films invoke a sense of wonder. Thanks for posting that.

nice review, Yoda.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I'm not knocking the movie, well I am kind of, objectively as a film it was fine and I dig the notions and ideology it presents. Just thought if you were a kid watching it, not knowing the history, it would be easy to think WW2 was American v Germany, with no mention of England being involved. Obviously, the film is called Captain AMERICA but still, i'll put it down to our national perspectives and move on. It was more observation than an attack of the film, i'm not disagreeing with any of what you said, if it's seems to the contrary. And my point was levelled at Captain America and the presentation of the conflict, not The Avengers or his role in it
I dont think its possible for a kid old enough to see this flick in the theatres to not know the combatants involved in ww2.

I mean its covered in grade 6 history class for cryen out loud.

I dont think its possible for a kid old enough to see this flick in the theatres to not know the combatants involved in ww2.

I mean its covered in grade 6 history class for cryen out loud.
You'd be utterly astounded how little is covered in history classes

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A lot of people didn't realize that the Titanic was a real ship until all the specials came on the television with it being the 100th Anniversary.

Suspect's Reviews

We've gone on holiday by mistake
A lot of people didn't realize that the Titanic was a real ship until all the specials came on the television with it being the 100th Anniversary.
I find it really worrying that too many young people today don't know anything about great people who were around 20,30,40,50 years ago. They have no idea who Malcolm X is, Muhammed Ali, JFK, RFK, John Lennon. Also great events that happened in recent history like The Berlin Wall coming down, Vietnam, Civil Rights Struggle, Chernoble etc. I even had an ex girlfriend who had forgotten that 9/11 happened.

I worked for someone who didn't know who the PM was. I'm accustomed to not being shocked at people's astounding ignorance these days.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I worked for someone who didn't know who the PM was. I'm accustomed to not being shocked at people's astounding ignorance these days.
Yep, so many young folk are 24/7 plugged into Facebook or Twitter, on their iphone etc, they don't watch the news and are completely unaware of MAJOR news stories going on in the World.

Who is the best paid Avenger?

Not all the Avengers are equal, according to their pay packets anyway.

Sources have revealed to trade mag The Hollywood Reporter that Robert Downey Jr. was the top paid star in ‘Avengers Assemble’... but it’s a shock by just how much. The ‘Iron Man’ star picked up $50m (£31m) once bonuses and his share of the profits are totted up - and this will rise as the film makes more cash.

The rest of the cast picked up just a fraction of this though.

Reportedly Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Chris Evans (Captain America) and Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk) will earn between $2m and $3m (£1.25m - £1.9m); while Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) and Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow) fare slightly better with a reported $4m - $6m (£2.5m - £3.8m).

So what's the reason for this disparity?

According to THR, after the success of 'Iron Man' Downey Jr.'s canny reps negotiated a deal that will see him take a percentage of Marvel's profits from any film in which he plays the metal-suited hero. The exact figure is debated, and neither Marvel nor the star's reps have commented, but when a film rakes in over $1bn in a few weeks any percentage is a cause for celebration.

The report will do nothing to dispel Marvel’s reputation for being cheap with star salaries.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/who-is-th...-avenger-.html

Can't really blame 'em. Most of the actors were making good--but not great--money before. Roles like this are as much a boon to the actors who get them as they are to the studios, and they'll see inevitable pay bumps going forward, anyway. Plus, it's probably pretty hard to get the stars of four different franchises together (plus a few secondary characters cast by big names) without destroying the budget if they don't start at a few million.

Kudos to Downey, though. If anyone involved deserved it, it was him.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I find it really worrying that too many young people today don't know anything about great people who were around 20,30,40,50 years ago. They have no idea who Malcolm X is, Muhammed Ali, JFK, RFK, John Lennon. Also great events that happened in recent history like The Berlin Wall coming down, Vietnam, Civil Rights Struggle, Chernoble etc. I even had an ex girlfriend who had forgotten that 9/11 happened.
not sure your source for this claim, but im callen shenanigans.

I have kids ages 6-18. I'm appalled at the amount of history they don't learn in school. The oldest only learned who Hitler was in his senior year and has no clue what the holocaust was. Future generations are going to be doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past because no one is yelling them what they were.

It's not the kid's fault. It's the parent's. No kid can just think of him Hitler..people need to know about him first just Vincent Price or Roy Orbison. People today don't know who they are but most parents knew or even met Price or Orbison.

It's not the kid's fault. It's the parent's. No kid can just think of him Hitler..people need to know about him first just Vincent Price or Roy Orbison. People today don't know who they are but most parents knew or even met Price or Orbison.
I kind of see your point, but Hitler's rule and World War II are major points of human history that are barely being touched on in history classes. With very few exceptions, I wouldn't expect schools to talk about entertainers. The deaths of millions of people caused by the crazed views of one man is a little more significant than who originally sang "Oh, Pretty Woman."

not sure your source for this claim, but im callen shenanigans.
It's seems to be true, Dex. Kids don't know **** about history. Ten years ago I was talking to kids who'd just left school (16/17) and wondered just what the hell they did know, so I can only imagine how bad it is now.

I know it's not every child, and I don't know which children didn't know the answer to which question, but here's a few of articles that might give you an idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011..._n_997700.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-howlers.html
http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/u...insurance-dog/

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't get how it's the parents fault the kids don't know history. Parents are suppose to raise their kids, schools are suppose to teach them history. It's not like I'm going to sit my kid down with a book about Hitler and talk about how bad he was.

I have no idea about the first time I learned about Hitler, whether it was school or television.

Only on Mofo can a thread about a a comic book film and turn it into a history lesson about Hitler.

Okay, maybe Captain America has something to do with it.