The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Do you guys think Eyes Without a Face will make the cut?
You'd think if it was going to show, it would have already, wouldn't you? But maybe it's more popular than anyone realizes.

I haven't seen Onibaba, but it's been on my watchlist for a long time, because it certainly has some ardent fans. Repulsion is a great psychological horror film.

Still nothing from my list has shown up yet..

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Onibaba is ok. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. I'm glad it made it though because Cricket was getting worried.

We are 40 in, and I've seen 14/40. I would think going forward I would be seeing more than 50% of these.

I'm hoping Bloody Mary Poppins shows up soon. I know it will, and I don't want it to make it far.

I watched Onibaba at Cricket's urging and really enjoyed it. It's a really interesting story told with gorgeous cinematography and really very striking visuals. I had it at #8.

My List
2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#101)
8. Onibaba (#62)
10. Through A Glass Darkly (#81)
18. In Cold Blood (#78)
21.The Jungle Book (#88)
23. The Virgin Spring (#67)
25. Something That Didn't Make the One Pointers List

Cool pair of films.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

My list so far:

3. The Swimmer (1968) (#68)
5. Red Desert (1964) (#82)
7. L'avventura (1960) (#63)
10. Contempt (1963) (#65)
17. Onibaba (1964) (#62)
25. I Even Met Happy Gypsies (1967) (one pointer)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I'm going to have some movies from my list miss the cut, but Onibaba showing up makes me feel like my part of it was a success. I like how Daniel described the movie as horrorish as it's one I thought of nominating for the horror HoF, but I feel there's more to the movie than that. It's got a great story, haunting images and music, and a vicious core. It's the 2nd of 4 movies to show that I considered for my #1 slot. I had it at #2.

Repulsion is a good movie, although I didn't vote for it. Many people seem to have a different favorite Polanski 60's film. I fully expect the one I voted for to miss the cut.

My list-

#2 Onibaba
#3 Contempt
#6 Hud
#11 Inherit the Wind
#22 The Battle of Algiers
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Wait until The Samoan Lawyer sees this set

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
2 from my list now.

13. Contempt
25. Onibaba

Repulsion was cool, didn't quite make my list though.

3 of us that voted for both Contempt and Onibaba. That seems unlikely to me given the total votes they received and the differences in style.

Repulsion could have made my list, it's a great horror film and Deneuve is absolutely beautiul, I've not seen Onibaba.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Onibaba is a wacko film which got my attention the first time I saw it. It was so strange and unique but such a visceral experience that I didn't care if I couldn't always tell what was going on and why. It was so super-freaky that it must have been one of Rick James' favorites. I've warmed up to Repulsion over the years. At first, it seemed like it was too drawn-out for what it accomplished, and although it had some cool, disturbing scenes near the end, it just seemed too padded, meandering and unexplained. Now, I can accept the drabness as a contributing factor to the film's unique tone, and there are a few more frissons than I originally felt.

I certainly expected Repulsion to be on here, but I'm surprised overall and have to tell you the truth. I'm starting to think that not everyone has seen the movies they vote for, and even if they have, their viewing habits may be influenced by what Holden implied earlier is the "Criterion Effect". Don't take this as a personal accusation - I know many of you tried to watch a broad spectrum of '60s flicks. I'm still sitting here with 0/40. I know some of my films are going to show, but many of my best have no chance (sound familiar?)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Onibaba is a wonderful film. It didn't make my list, though. I give it

Repulsion is perhaps my favourite Polański. I give it
. I believe it almost made it into my list, but lost to some films like Contempt, Pasażerka and Inherit the Wind among others.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Repulsion narrowly missed out on a place on my list. Onibaba is an excellent film, but not one I considered for my own list.

Only two from my own list have made it thus far: My Night at Maud's and Seconds.

Do you guys think Eyes Without a Face will make the cut?
I'm hoping Teshigahara makes it onto this list in one way or another. Eyes Without a Face would be great, the film of his that I voted for even better. But I suspect the former would have a better chance.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm hoping Teshigahara makes it onto this list in one way or another. Eyes Without a Face would be great, the film of his that I voted for even better. But I suspect the former would have a better chance.
Eyes Without a Face is a French film from 1960. The movie you're refering to is The Face of Another. I wish it makes it, but chances are low right now.

I'm starting to think that not everyone has seen the movies they vote for, and even if they have, their viewing habits may be influenced by what Holden implied earlier is the "Criterion Effect". Don't take this as a personal accusation - I know many of you tried to watch a broad spectrum of '60s flicks.
Speaking only for myself, I definitely did watch everything I voted for. However, I may have sort of inadvertently fallen prey to the Criterion Effect, not because I seek out Criterions or care what is in their collection, but because Criterion films seem to be popular HOF choices. My participation in HOFs had definitely had some influence on what I watched.

Why would you say that about Repulsion particularly mark? I find it to be one of the most uniqueand well done horror movie I've seen.

I think it would be more accurate for L'avventura, but it's just my taste haha

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I certainly expected Repulsion to be on here, but I'm surprised overall and have to tell you the truth. I'm starting to think that not everyone has seen the movies they vote for, and even if they have, their viewing habits may be influenced by what Holden implied earlier is the "Criterion Effect". Don't take this as a personal accusation - I know many of you tried to watch a broad spectrum of '60s flicks. I'm still sitting here with 0/40. I know some of my films are going to show, but many of my best have no chance (sound familiar?)
Because I've been more directed and focused on specific things in the past year or so, I think a quarter or more the films on my list suffer a bit of the old "Criterion Effect."