Superman: Man of Steel

Tools    

I don't really want to see a Superman film that looks and plays like 300 and Sucker Punch, and even Watchmen to some extent.
Going by the trailers, it looks like he has obviously toned down compared to those films.

The only way to make a compelling Superman film for a modern audience is to go in a very different direction than most other hero films. He's Superman, so you can't make a film where his primary challenge is preserving his own safety. That won't generate tension. It doesn't generally, anyway, because everybody knows you're not going to kill him, but it's doubly true when the guy's friggin' invincible. And you can only be so creative in the way you introduce kryptonite, anyway. And it always feels kinda goofy to me, even when done well.

So yeah, to create a, modern Superman film, you need a different kind of conflict. An inner conflict. You can get some tension out of his inability to save other people, but ultimately it has to be about his alienation and distance from other people. I don't think you can effectively make people fear for Superman's safety. It's got to be about him struggling with being human's savior.

^ That sort of interpretation would work, but I suspect that it will only invite comparisons with Nolan's take on Batman, which is probably unavoidable anyway. I mean the teaser itself already is very similar in tone and voice over to the teaser for Batman Begins

I do welcoming the idea of exploring alienation though. This is something that's never been explored well in the other films, imo.

In the Beginning...
^^Totally agree.

Originally Posted by Nausicaä
Going by the trailers, it looks like he has obviously toned down compared to those films.
Yeah, I'm really hoping the tone of the trailer equals the tone of the film because I really dig it.

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
There's no way that Nolan won't have much influence on Superman. It will definitely have Nolan elements in there's no way a man of such amazing talent (and yes I did compare him to Jesus) can just stand back and work on a film without putting a little of his own magic in it

I really doubt it. I'm not saying his role as a producer is going to be pointless, but ultimately it's Snyder's vision that's going to be displayed on the screen, not Nolan's. Nolan's name simply adds weight to the film because of what he did with the other DC character.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I saw the trailer before DKR, and so far, looks cool. Tells me NOTHING about the movie at all, except that it has Superman in it. But it does it's job in that I'll be there the day this opens.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm actually more excited for this than I thought I would be, I like how this is not trying to be an update of the Richard Donner films.

...uh the post is up there...

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
I must say I think they have a cast with a lot of potential. Henry Cavill is beautiful and definitely looks the part. I LOVED him in Tristan and Isolde. I think Amy Adams makes a great Louis Lane and seriously, who doesn't like Russel Crowe?

The movie has great potential I hope they do decide to make it stand out in some way

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I really doubt it. I'm not saying his role as a producer is going to be pointless, but ultimately it's Snyder's vision that's going to be displayed on the screen, not Nolan's. Nolan's name simply adds weight to the film because of what he did with the other DC character.
Except the trailer is nothing like Snyder's other films. Producers are in charge of everything, he's not going to attach his name to something if he doesn't have some form of control over it.

Suspect's Reviews

True, the trailer was different for Snyder, and very reminiscent of the teaser for Begins, but that's just the teaser. We've yet to see any significant footage of the film. Perhaps Nolan will have some influence on the production, but it's not like he's going to be the only producer on the film. One of those other producers happens to be Snyder's wife, conveniently enough.

Also, Snyder doesn't produce very many of the films he directs, yet they are still have his DNA all over like like Watchmen, 300, etc

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
His wife I believe has always been his producing partner. We first got a glimpse of his "style" in 300 since Dawn of the dead was shot in a very generic way. His vision and style continued in Watchmen & Sucker Punch They all "look" the same.

The footage (the little we've seen) looks drastically different. I'm just saying, I think Nolan has his reigns on Snyder, but I'm not saying Snyder has no vision in this film. I guess we really have to wait for the first FULL trailer. But I'd place my money on it looking more like a Nolan film than a Snyder film.

But if we see any slow motion parts in the trailer, I'll concede to you.

Well I hope you turn out to be right, because then we at least will get treated to a 4 star film

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The Science of SUPERMAN

wasnt sure where to put this gem i stumbled upon. (Mods feel free to move it elsewhere if deemed appropriate.)

What is it that makes Superman so super? Is there any basis in 'real' science for the world's greatest superhero?

He is known as the Man of Steel -- the Last Son of Krypton. For more than 70 years, Superman has been an American icon and the world's first and most recognizable superhero. From his beginnings as the featured character in his own 10-cent comic book, through multiple incarnations on radio, newspaper syndication, television, and the movies, Superman has emerged as the flagship hero of a publishing empire. In fact, the Man of Steel has become so ubiquitous, it's as if he's real!

But what if he were real? What if the Kryptonian named Kal-El, a humanoid being whose world orbited a far-off red star, was actually raised here on Earth? Would, in fact, such a being be capable of achieving the amazing feats of power commonly associated with Superman? And if so, how could his powers be scientifically explained?

For the first time anywhere, you'll understand the logic and science that underlie Superman's super powers. You'll never look at the Man of Steel the same way again!

&feature=

It's slapped all over the interweb today:

JOHN WILLIAMS' ICONIC SUPERMAN SCORE WILL NOT BE IN SNYDER'S MAN OF STEEL!!!! BLASPHEMY BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm... isn't that, like, the point? Idiots.

I am the Watcher in the Night
You know I was one of those who thought Returns was a good movie that could have become great with the correct sequel, how ever I'm really, really excited by Nolans and Snyders attempt at a Superman flick. This could be great or it could be utter pretentious crap, I sincerely hope it's the former.

Returns was a good nostalgia trip for anyone who remembers the first two movies, but Routh isn't Reeve... he's not bad at pretending to be Reeve, but he's not Reeve and never will be.

It's about time the Supe got a redo... with the team of sheer talent that's behind behind it I reckon it'll be a hit and probably the best of the lot too.

Next summer can't get here quick enough for me. I'm a Superman fan and a Reeve fan but the Supe always takes top spot... so seeing the character back on the big-screen with a fresh start and a ton of cash and talent thrown at him... makes me squeal like a teenaged girl at an Elvis concert.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/21...in-smallville/

News is 13 hour old. Not much to go on but it's the first bit of news in a few weeks. Looks like the Military are definitely playing a rather large part in the new movie.

So quick round up on what I've learned and posted about so far over the past few weeks...
  • A rather sizeable chunk of the film's first act, possibly the entire first act, is set on Krypton and features a war between Zod and Jor-El.
  • When the movie goes to Earth it looks as though a large factor of the film includes the Military, which judging from recent marketing photos, are actually against Superman.
  • With the Military and authorities being against The Supe, it looks like he's at odds on what to do with his powers.
  • There's something rather grand going on in Smallville in terms of Military presence.
And...

WARNING: "Possible Man Of Steel Third Act" spoilers below

This is why I have hidden this in a spoiler box: The Supe will face off against Zod in the last act of the film, so rumours say anyways.