The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Downloading Doom made me go over my internet data limit. EEEEK.

I don't do unlimited like you folks, Canada is notorious for screwing people over with such things.

So I'm off online playing for a bit. Going to focus on Battlefield 1 Campaign and Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy.
Doom especially is a huge game - I ended up deleting it on PC because every (frequent) update seemed to be 20GB+. I don't have data limits but was fast running out of hard drive space.

AAA games are huge now - TESO is taking up 85GB for me!

Anyway, I bought Hellblade. Asides from having one of the most generic titles ever, Ninja Theory's games are fast becoming essential purchases for me and their approach to Hellblade is interesting - A shorter, mid priced game with full price production values.

I don't do unlimited like you folks, Canada is notorious for screwing people over with such things.
We only just recently switched to an unlimited plan after having a cap for years, and even though we were never close to going over (since we got our package at a great time when they were offering more data), it is infinitely less stressful now.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
We only just recently switched to an unlimited plan after having a cap for years, and even though we were never close to going over (since we got our package at a great time when they were offering more data), it is infinitely less stressful now.

I'm always being offered unlimited, but if I change my package, I lose my discount that I have right now. Which is why I think they keep pushing it on me because this discount is indefinite and they don't do that anymore.

Suspect's Reviews

First month I had unlimited fibre (admittedly twice the speed as my rural fibre is now) I downloaded nearly a terabyte of data. Once the novelty wore off (month two) it decreased by 90%.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
i just played through Mafia 2 and Uncharted 2. currently playing/obsessed with Red Dead Redemption.
These are all favorites of mine. No need to play any other Uncharted after that one.

These are all favorites of mine. No need to play any other Uncharted after that one.
I'm fast realising that. Never played 3 (although I ended up buying the disc cheap a while back) and 4 has been sitting on my PS4 for months now, unplayed.

On a more positive note, before I start Hellblade I'm working my way towards the end of Nier Automata. It's a beautiful game let down slightly by mashy combat.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm fast realising that. Never played 3 (although I ended up buying the disc cheap a while back) and 4 has been sitting on my PS4 for months now, unplayed.

On a more positive note, before I start Hellblade I'm working my way towards the end of Nier Automata. It's a beautiful game let down slightly by mashy combat.
While I do think 2 is the best Uncharted game, all 4 of them are worth playing.

While I do think 2 is the best Uncharted game, all 4 of them are worth playing.
A Mr. Lazarevic is here for a word with you.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
everyone keeps saying that, lol. i guess the others really suck, huh?

Wow, the HD & (optional) VR-ified version of one of the greatest games ever made has been released on Steam.

This one came out of nowhere, as I'd always considered Rez a console game.

Rez is one of the greatest games ever made. Come at me.

everyone keeps saying that, lol. i guess the others really suck, huh?
Compared to other games available, the Uncharted series is better than most. I feel an intense connection to these games for some reason.

Among Thieves just hit it out of the park. For me...

- Lazarevic was the best villain
- the "supernaturalish" story worked
- the interactive set pieces (to avoid too many spoilers...tanks and trains)
- and the best multiplayer (well...for a nub that only played co-op).

The first one at the time was such an eye opening experience, that it was amazing that the 2nd surpassed it as much as it did.

After that, the games seemed to bet the farm on the technical aspect and lost the magic ime.

Rez is one of the greatest games ever made. Come at me.
Can't wait to see where it lands on your list.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Holy crap, Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of driving sims they say? The glove definitely fits! (Alright well, the ground doesn't rise up into some undulating beast you have to defeat, and you don't quite lose all your hair when vanquished, but it's not far off )

Game could definitely do with a different definition of 'easy mode' for sure. I'm getting destroyed by an open field of Minis and other assorted mixed-surface beasts from across the ages, even with assists dialled up and their brains dialled down. ****ing fun, but at some point I'm gonna have to do better than 2nd last

Off to the tutorials I go :/

Holy crap, Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of driving sims they say? The glove definitely fits! (Alright well, the ground doesn't rise up into some undulating beast you have to defeat, and you don't quite lose all your hair when vanquished, but it's not far off )

Game could definitely do with a different definition of 'easy mode' for sure. I'm getting destroyed by an open field of Minis and other assorted mixed-surface beasts from across the ages, even with assists dialled up and their brains dialled down. ****ing fun, but at some point I'm gonna have to do better than 2nd last

Off to the tutorials I go :/
Rally is the first Codemasters driving game I've not played, which is sad because I've wanted them to get back to the more Sim-y Colin McRea style games for years. I just don't think I can be bothered setting up my wheel any more.

The REAL Dark Souls of driving games, of course, is the venerable Richard Burns Rally. That game was utterly fantastic and still has an active modding community - I seriously recommend tracking it down if you dug DiRT Rally. It'll be around a fiver on eBay as I don't know anywhere offering a digital release.

Rally is the first Codemasters driving game I've not played, which is sad because I've wanted them to get back to the more Sim-y Colin McRea style games for years. I just don't think I can be bothered setting up my wheel any more.

The REAL Dark Souls of driving games, of course, is the venerable Richard Burns Rally. That game was utterly fantastic and still has an active modding community - I seriously recommend tracking it down if you dug DiRT Rally. It'll be around a fiver on eBay as I don't know anywhere offering a digital release.
Haha yeah, I've been burnt by the Burns before. (It was a good heat tho, warmed my tires, only left parts of me in a crumpled mess on the track...)

I don't know why I play these sim-y rally ones, as my technical knowledge is woeful and I just fluke my way round by the seat of my pants. There is something endlessly grand about a well timed slide over gravel though, followed by a hard turn onto asphalt. (My metric for success will be just getting to the end of a run with all my wheels on )

Rally cross is gonna be the thing though I think. Pure rally is super immersive, but I do like using my competitors as braking devices

My dad was an amateur Rallycross driver. He took it up in the late 70s when, after a few operations, what was left of his knee cartilage could no longer do motocross racing. He raced (and got soundly beaten by) Jenson Button's dad once.

Woah, You dudes are still here and this thread is alive, too. Unexpected...
Lo

(I'm about to disappear into a thread dedicated to VR though, and only coming out to gurgle incomprehensible things occasionally. So, like, we do change it up a bit )

A system of cells interlinked
Woah, You dudes are still here and this thread is alive, too. Unexpected...

This thread will never die!

I've said for a few years now that the best audio I've heard in a game was Elite Dangerous's.

It's not any more.

Hellblade in surround sound is flabbergasting, but apparently even better with headphones. I'll give my HyperX Clouds their bi-yearly run out later today.

I've played a few hours of the game and it seems to hit what it's shooting for. The puzzles and combat are maybe a bit samey but you come for the story and it's a story extremely well told. 12 people made this. Wow.

Nier Automata status: Finished!

Well, the main ending plus one other completed.

That's one excellent game, albeit a slightly disappointing one. It looks great, has a solid (but not exactly original) story with good voice acting and performs well on PC provided you install the FAR patch and have the game on SSD - Frame drops I was getting disappeared when I moved the game from conventional HD to SSD, which means the textures were loading in faster than the drive (a WD Black, probably the best mechanical gaming HD) could cope with. I was going to say "Oh, Japan! You and your wonky PC ports!" but the PS4 version has exactly the same problem.

If you're in any way serious about PC gaming you'll have an SSD by now, right? What? C'mon, they're pretty cheap these days and you just need one for your Windows install and a few of your more demanding games. 250GB should be fine, and that'll cost about as much as a full price game.

Anyway, the only real gripe I have with Automata is the combat. Platinum Games are well known for their incredibly tight character action titles like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, but Automata never reaches those heights. It's serviceable but you'll probably be relying on Fast, Fast, Strong, Dodge rather a lot. The twin-stick shooter sections are fun, however, and a nice complement to the swordplay.

The game's an action RPG at heart and the levelling system will give rise to a huge variety of different loadouts to suit both short and long range, gung-ho and cautious players. There's even an easy mode (which I didn't try) giving a lot of passive buffs if you're more interested in the story than chopping robot arms off.

Automata is beautiful and touching, and doesn't outstay its welcome. Recommended.