The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Been craving to play video games lately after a hiatus, so I fired up the last one I bought many months ago, Hot Wheels Unleashed. I can see why I stopped playing it in the first place, with its rather mundane track design and unpredictable/uncontrollable physics at times.

Still want to find something to satisfy the craving so going back to Mario Kart on Wii U may do the trick! If a racing game doesn't work, I have been meaning to revisit a fighting game like Killer Instinct...

Used to be a big gamer myself, still love playing games just can't find enough time these days. But I have just started Star Wars Jedi Survivor. Massive fan of the first game. Also recently completed a second playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy remastered, some of my favourite games of all time.

Well I'M never playing Ludia games again. I asked to speak to the customer service boss for two weeks because they did a crap job even pretending to resolve my issue. They kept telling me "rest assured we're here to help," but they don't help. After two weeks I got so mad that I even swore at them, gave them an ultimatum they didn't meet, then told them I would never support them again. I have no respect for customer service like that. I know some would say I shouldn't have sworn, but they deserved it. They really did.

You ready? You look ready.
stumbled across this teal gbc with a few games (Oracle of Ages even) and snagged it for a steal.

speaker was busted so i soldered a new one in, and replaced the LCD with a backlit TFT. so you can turn off the backlight and use it in sunlight or turn the brightness full up and use it in the dark. looks just as good as the OEM screen, but it is 10% smaller.

@rauldc14
@ynwtf

kinda sad to see my weekend job end after this week. i was enjoying getting paid to game boy

I was once talking to a friend about this funny feeling I get when playing certain games. There's this very, very specific flutter in my stomach I get when a game world opens into an expanse full of possibility. Leaving the vault in Fallout 3, looking out at the distant mountains for the first time in Skyrim, all that. I realized later the only time I got the same feeling outside of games was when I entertained some kind of idea that I sensed had the potential to branch off. The feeling was possibility itself, manifesting in my gut. There's nothing like it, and I never confuse it with anything else. It is a completely unique sensation that I get any time my brain is flooded with things that might happen.

I told him I got the feeling any time I was cresting a hill and about to find out what was on the other side.

Yes, this is about Starfield.

I'm about nine hours in, and those nine hours have come over maybe 24 hours.

So far, it's not great. It's not bad either. It's incomplete, the grade. It's too early, and I'd say that regardless, but I'm saying it more definitively because I've heard from several others that it takes at least this long to really get going. I had this with the last two Zelda games, too, where it's exciting at first, then frustrating, but then becomes a lot of fun the moment you get just comfortable enough to start making meaningful choices, and just familiar enough with things to exploit your successes. Once you have that feedback loop of effort -> success -> results, you can have a good time, but before that point things can feel clunky.

I strongly suspect, however, that even when I reach that point, some of the little things in the game will feel clunky still. There's way too much clicking between menus to jump through systems, find things in your inventory, etc. Thankfully this kind of thing is easily fixed, particularly with mods (before long, nothing this early though), but the game's doing so much sometimes that I wonder if it ever had the potential to make any of these processes feel smooth.

It feels far less streamlined than Fallout or Skyrim, which I guess makes sense. It's a totally new IP, with some new systems, and it's trying to do a bunch of things at once. There's potential for sequels to be something really special. There's still potential for this to be really special. But in the early going, it does feel like they needed all the time they had just to get the basic experience stood up, without sanding down those edges.

They did, however, seemingly fulfill their promises about bugs. Having very few issues. I think maybe that was a decision: release a game with far fewer bugs than their previous efforts, even if it's at the expense of the various systems interacting in clunky ways. I'm okay with that for a first swing at a new experience.

All that said, it's still starting to scratch that open world itch, albeit slowly. I expect I'll get pretty hooked on it over the next dozen hours or so, as is usually the case, when I hit that sweet spot where the systems and controls have become second nature, and the loop is looping, but I haven't yet exploited it to make anything feel too easy. I'll post again when that happens (or if it doesn't).

Oh, and the music is great, and the story seems like strong so far. Great voice acting, too.

The Adventure Starts Here!
@Yoda ... you know where you got that open-world itch, right? I mean, it's been a "thing" for all three of us since, ohhh, 1995 or so.

I have the same itch and the same feeling going into any sort of new area in an open-world game, but of course I prefer not to have monsters or villains be waiting for me.

A system of cells interlinked
Holding off on Starfield for now, if just because whatever game time I have currently is going to BG3, which continues to thrill and impress at every turn. I have a multiplayer campaign going with a friend, in which I run a cleric, and a single player campaign going, in which I play a bard. The games are playing out very differently, and are extremely fun to play. I am now back at work, which is cutting into my gaming time!

@Yoda How much space does Starfield take up on the computer?

Regardless of whatever they say a game takes, it seems to take up more once I install it

@Yoda How much space does Starfield take up on the computer?

Regardless of whatever they say a game takes, it seems to take up more once I install it
Over 100GB. It's a big boy.

Holding off on Starfield for now, if just because whatever game time I have currently is going to BG3, which continues to thrill and impress at every turn. I have a multiplayer campaign going with a friend, in which I run a cleric, and a single player campaign going, in which I play a bard. The games are playing out very differently, and are extremely fun to play. I am now back at work, which is cutting into my gaming time!
Amusingly, I did the opposite! I saw how fun BG3 looked, realized I would get sucked into it for weeks or months, so decided to just play it after Starfield. Seems like a great game to distract myself with once we get into late fall/winter and all the softball games are done.

@Sedai Is BG3 open world, and how much space does it end up taking on a PC?

I'm waffling between Starfield and Baldurs 3

Also was meaning to ask this, has anyone played Divinity 2 Original Sin? I have it on my PC, and if BG3 is like it then I might just play that. Unless BG3 is noticeably better of course.

Amusingly, I did the opposite! I saw how fun BG3 looked, realized I would get sucked into it for weeks or months, so decided to just play it after Starfield. Seems like a great game to distract myself with once we get into late fall/winter and all the softball games are done.
It's funny...As my friends and I played Grounded, we had decided Starfield would be our next game to play together, and really, I had pretty much ignored BG3 up until that point, as I had fairly recently played through the same studio's Divinity: Original Sin 2, which runs in a similar way, is the same genre etc., so I figured I was ready for some Bethesda sci-fi action.

I think it was either one or two days before BG released that one of the players asked "So Mike, do you have BG3 all ready to go? Starfield doesn't come out for a month, and I will be playing it - we can play together!" I told him I would probably play it down the line, but would probably try to catch up on a game in my backlog until Starfield dropped. He convinced me that if I pre-ordered, I would get extra content for free etc.=, so I might as well get the good deal now, and then play it when I felt like it. Of course, this had me installing it on the day of release and diving right in! And now here we are...

@Sedai Is BG3 open world, and how much space does it end up taking on a PC?

I'm waffling between Starfield and Baldurs 3
BG3 is an old school CRPG combined with the storytelling of say, a Mass Effect or Dragon Age: Origins. It's a huge install, sitting at around 110GB. You also definitely want the game running on an SSD with a good video card.

DOS:2 and BG3 are quite similar, being from the same developer, but BG3 is easily the better game, not because DOS:2 is weak, but because BG3 is just so damned good. Every single interaction in the game is voice acted, and all the actors are top notch. BG3 has like 275 hours of cinematics created for it, although you obviously won't see them all in a single play. It's a true RPG, with player choice radically changing how the story plays out etc. I thought DOS:2 was great, and is also worth playing. Maybe fire it up to see if you like the style - just know it doesn't have all the voice acting and cinematics etc.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I fear that I've already posted this, but gaming time has been limited for the past few months. Work has flipped upside down and personal life has been taking more time as well. Currently, I'm putting maybe 20-30 minutes into Diablo IV (console) twice a week. I did download a free copy of one of the Need for Speed titles but I've yet to touch it. My backlog includes Ghostwire: Tokyo; Deathloop; Scarlet Nexus; Elden Ring; NieR Replicant; and an assortment of older games that I've touched but never made it past 20 minutes or so.

As to Diablo, it's passable. It's a good game but feels little like my Diablo II roots. One feature that seems to be praised is the open world. I'm not sure about this as it takes a away the procedurally generated world of the past Diablo titles. That, to me, was half of the fun, having to explore the environments after completely rearranging upon a new login. Now, what you explore stays visible on the overhead map, like any other game. Dungeons are longer and now provide save states for each lower level you enter, so that if you do log out midway through, the only issue you run into when returning is to find your way from the city you saved in back to the initial dungeon entrance. Once you enter, though, you automatically land on the last tier doorway you discovered. That's cool, I guess, but OMG are these dungeons long!!! The hack-n-slash feels more patterned and predictable in DIV and less overwhelming as it has in the past, so while the porting to the dungeon level is nice, it just all feels so unnecessarily drawn out.

I believe I hit level 28 last night and I've seen maybe three total story cutscenes expanding on the main story. So far, the story feels nonexistent. Add that I can walk anywhere at most any time barring a few staging unlocks, the world just lacks a sense of progression. Diablo II required that you stay and complete a level before progressing forward to new lands. Each, felt unique and provide different environments, equipment loot, companion options and used the transition from level to level for main story scenes. So far, the only companion that I've encountered were specific to a single line of quests . Even with that, the companions would vanish from my group the moment a crossed a zoning line within the game. I miss the constant companion of an archer covering my back. That may still be part of the game, but I've yet to find it.

Loot also feel a bit useless. At least once an hour I can completely upgrade my gear set. There are slots for stones and upgrades, but I feel overpowered enough as it is so why bother until endgame content? There seems to be a lot of hand-holding too. For example, storage space is not really a concern anymore. Used to be, you would have to carry around tomes of town portal and tomes of identify. So far, I've not had to identify one item and portals are now a default skill that does not require consumable materials from your inventory. Odd stuff, to me.

As it is, the game is average. It looks nice enough and, had it not been branded part of the Diablo series, I might be just fine with it. Iderno though. it just feel a little empty.

I am so not editing this post....

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

BG3 is an old school CRPG combined with the storytelling of say, a Mass Effect or Dragon Age: Origins. It's a huge install, sitting at around 110GB. You also definitely want the game running on an SSD with a good video card.

DOS:2 and BG3 are quite similar, being from the same developer, but BG3 is easily the better game, not because DOS:2 is weak, but because BG3 is just so damned good. Every single interaction in the game is voice acted, and all the actors are top notch. BG3 has like 275 hours of cinematics created for it, although you obviously won't see them all in a single play. It's a true RPG, with player choice radically changing how the story plays out etc. I thought DOS:2 was great, and is also worth playing. Maybe fire it up to see if you like the style - just know it doesn't have all the voice acting and cinematics etc.
Thank you, now I have to find out if my gaming laptop can play it. I had bought Last Of Us Pt 1 and it wont run, so I'm not going to assume this rig I bought almost 2 years ago brand new can hang.

I asked the BG3 vs Dos2 question on the BG3 community portal, and BG3 gets the nod, but not by alot. Everyone loves both.

Thank you, now I have to find out if my gaming laptop can play it. I had bought Last Of Us Pt 1 and it wont run, so I'm not going to assume this rig I bought almost 2 years ago brand new can hang.

I asked the BG3 vs Dos2 question on the BG3 community portal, and BG3 gets the nod, but not by alot. Everyone loves both.
BG3 min requirements for video card is a GTX 970, which launched in 2014. The game would be a dog on that card though, I think, so I would think really, you would want at least a GTX 1070 at a minimum, or to really crank it, something like a 2060 Super. This game also needs decent CPU and like I mentioned, you most certainly need to install the game on an SSD for it to run well.

As for BG3 not having much of an edge, that gets a hard disagree from me! I really liked DOS:2, but the writing and storytelling just don't compare. I am sitting her trying to remember who the characters were, and none of them are springing to mind. Playing BG3 is like playing through an epic story like the LotR films, with a group of very memorable characters played by good actors. The gameplay is pretty similar, although the game runs on an entirely different rules engine (D&D 5e rules).

My only complaint with both games, and really any CRPG, is that the inventory management is pretty crazy - both games have loads of items, weapons, scrolls, quest items, potions etc. to manage. Other than that, both are worth playing if you are a fan of the style/genre.

BG3 min requirements for video card is a GTX 970, which launched in 2014. The game would be a dog on that card though, I think, so I would think really, you would want at least a GTX 1070 at a minimum, or to really crank it, something like a 2060 Super. This game also needs decent CPU and like I mentioned, you most certainly need to install the game on an SSD for it to run well.
Sadly this one will have to wait till I get a true PC that I can upgrade. Ive only got 8gb of ram and the game recommends 16, not even talking about the SSD card that Im sure cant be installed into a laptop. So I think Ill be trying Dos2. Just made a dwarven thief and think itll be a nice ride, its easy to learn so far. Have also been wanting to play the FF VII Remake but its an "action" RPG, and my skillz are too rusty for such games. Better to go with a turn based RPG like FF Tactics was.

I was able to hang with the kids until Mortal Kombat III came out. Once the "combos" became a staple then action/reflex games passed me by