Zach Snyder

Tools    

I've spent a lot of time trash talking Man of Steel in the BvS thread, but I've not really understood what it is people see in Snyder other than the occasional comment about "shutting off my brain to enjoy some action."

So, convince me why he's a decent filmmaker.

I think his films are soulless. The only character moment I've ever really bought in any of his films is the death of Rorschach in Watchmen but that's because it's a powerful moment in the comic. Despite that moment, Watchmen still felt flat. Ozimandias' moment of triumph didn't move me nor did his moment of doubt. I never cared for any of the characters.

This lack of caring about the characters in his films carries in to Man of Steel and 300. He seems far more interested in slow-motion filming and making things look cool than he does in crafting a strong story or characters with which the audience can empathize.

In the nit-picking, fanboy area, I also think he does a terrible job adapting both Watchmen and Superman.

In the original Watchmen comic Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons wanted to completely dissect the superhero genre. One of the ways they did this was by showing the true results of comic book style violence in a way that had hardly been seen prior to the release of Watchmen. When the "heroes" of the story fight villains, bones get broken and blood is spilled and people die. Up to that point in comics, if Batman punched the Joker the results were always unrealistically minimal. No blood, no broken jaw. Watchmen was shockingly realistic and stands even today as a milestone in comic book history.

I assumed prior to the release of the film that Snyder would use this adaptation to similarly deconstruct the superhero film genre. I thought the nipples on Ozymandias' costume was going to be one of the snide remarks toward the genre. Instead I got slow-motion violence that, despite being graphic, was shot in a manner to be "cool." IMO, this betrays the violence of the comics and misses the point of the original story. Watchmen wasn't supposed to be "cool" when it was originally published. The film mimics the story without understanding all the subtext of the source material.

You know what film does a great job of portraying realistic and visceral violence like the original Watchmen? The Dark Knight Rises. The first fight between Batman and Bane is violent without being over stylized. It's brutal and graphic and the results are real.

This is what I said about Man of Steel in the BvS thread:

Superman in the comics, and in the Reeves film, learned his humanity and his heroic nature from Johnathan Kent. In Man of Steel Pa only teaches him to fear and mistrust humans. It's a betrayal of the original mythos that not only hurts the character but doesn't make sense in the context of the film. Why does Superman side with the humans when Zod shows up? Hasn't his father spent the entire film telling him humans are dangerous and not to be trusted?
Snyder not only makes style-over-substance films, but he also distorts or destroys the source material's intent. Superman in Man of Steel is a good guy for reasons not shown in the film. Watchmen is a 3+ hour long music video without any of the biting commentary of the original comics.

Someone explain to me why he is a good filmmaker.

Don't think I've ever said he's a good filmmaker... but he certainly makes entertaining movies.

He kinda like a new Michael Bay. A couple decent movies and the rest are all flash and bang.

Michael Bay though has gone totally crap with Transformers... Snyder has still to reach those heights of crappiness.

Oh, you spellted his name wrong too in the title

LOL! He spells his name wrong.

When I say Snyder makes soulless films what I mean is the draw no emotion from me whatsoever At the end of Man of Steel I should be relieved that he saved the world and I should also sympathize with the fact that he's just had to murder the only Kryptonian alive. Instead I was just glad the whole mess was over.

At the end of 300 I should feel sad that almost everyone died, even if I know that's how the film will end. I should feel stirred and optimistic by the smart one's inspiring war speech, but I simply don't.

There is no heart in his films. There is no catharsis in his films. It's all just noise and pretty images. I'm sorry, but that's just not enough for me.

KhaN, seriously, why does Superman side with the humans at the end of Man of Steel? Even if he knows it's wrong to murder all humans, the entire film has been his father telling him how dangerous they all are. I understand that he has a moral compass, but where did that come from? It certainly didn't come from his father who told him he maybe should have allowed children to die!!!! It's all fine and dandy to see new takes on old characters, but not at the expense of literally everything they ever originally stood for especially when it doesn't even make sense in the context of the film.

This thread can be used for people who like Snyder. I'd love to hear people tell me why they like his films instead of simply telling me my opinions are wrong without actually telling me how they are wrong.

I hesitate to use the word soulless to describe his work. But his films pretty much should be taken at face value. There is no real deep symbolism and it does not need to be read into. That being said I dug the hell out of 300. Great freaking action movie with a testosterone level of 11!

Watchmen I enjoyed.Not as good as the comic, but a pretty damn good adaptation.

That being said he NEVER should have been given the reigns to Superman. I hated Man of Steel, I am not excited about Batman vs Superman, and that shot of the troops with the Superman logo on them remind me of the story Kevin Smith told about the bat sh*t insane ideas producer John Peters. In the 90's after Smith did Chasing Amy, he worked on the script for a new Superman movie and Batman producer John Peters was to produce. The story dealt with stuff like of Superman having soldiers, rassling polar bears, Brainiac with a gay sounding cyborg sidekick, and the mandate that Superman does not fly, wear his signature costume, and he must fight a giant spider in the third act. And when the super dark and serious film is reminding me of kooky Hollywood stories by Kevin Smith, you are doing something wrong.

His remake of Dawn Of The Dead was better than the Romero original, yes I mean that. 300 was the most impactful action movie Id seen since The Terminator. Watchmen was good, and he stayed true to the source material moreso than Peter Jackson did with LOTR.

Then came Sucker Punch. What a impression maker to the bad. Man Of Steel was ok, and its sad he was using the darkish hue to every-single-frame when even Dawn Of The Dead came off as more lively. Metropolis looks like Gotham when Snyders the director. Is he the best? Hell no. Does he have the potential to be the best, like the next James Cameron?

Yes. People forget the awkward moments in T2 and The Abyss whenever Cameron tried to pull the heartstrings, or develop character. Thru diligence he became a better storyteller. Snyder is capable of evolving also, but with his casting choices Im starting to feel hes the next Michael Bay again. Hope Im wrong, but casting Affleck as Batman, and some salad eating girl for Wonder Woman....he has a shallow vision, and yet a slick one all at same time. Aquaman does look tough.

His remake of Dawn Of The Dead was better than the Romero original, yes I mean that.
I'd like to agree with that. I'm not saying I don't agree. I'm just saying it's possible that I do.

His remake of Dawn Of The Dead was better than the Romero original, yes I mean that.

Hope Im wrong, but casting Affleck as Batman, and some salad eating girl for Wonder Woman....he has a shallow vision, and yet a slick one all at same time. Aquaman does look tough.

Even with that tough getup, the name "Aquaman" still just sounds gay

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Even with that tough getup, the name "Aquaman" still just sounds gay
In what way does Aquaman sound "gay?" If you mean it sounds stupid, say that instead of saying it sounds "gay."

That just gets on my nerves is all.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

In what way does Aquaman sound "gay?"
...not sure, in the way that it... just does.

If you mean it sounds stupid, say that instead of saying it sounds "gay."
No I don't think I'll sell my soul to the Church of Political Correctness, thanks

That just gets on my nerves is all.
Dude even liberal icon Bill Maher (4:50) isn't offended by non-literal usage of slang words. If you're gay and it offended you I'm sorry (but I don't think you are since you mentioned dating women anyway).

Slang words like 'idiotic' and 'moronic' also used to be slurs for literal mentally retarded people, should we 'stop using them' too just to avoid offending someone somewhere? Sorry but I'll spare myself the cortisol.

Aw now you done did it Ok yall, please try and convince me how the original George Romero Dawn Of The Dead is superior to Snyders DOTD. Dont anybody dare say the acting.

This wasnt some typical remake fail. Snyders DOTD invented the fast moving zombie. The fast moving zombie helped accelerate the entire zombie phenomena which is prevalent today. Im saying Zack Snyder already has influenced pop culture of today. Sure The Walking Dead has got people reinterested in the slow moving zombies again, but take out all that great acting & story TWD has and youd have to admit, fast moving zombies would scare you alot more.