The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

AWARDS?

Le Cercle Rouge didn't win any awards or nominations, but Dark City received a couple. These are some of the most notable:
  • Nine (9) OFTA Film Award nominations, including a win for Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror Picture
  • Seven (7) Saturn Award nominations, including a win for Best Science Fiction Film
  • Five (5) Fangoria Chainsaw Award nominations, including a win for Best Screenplay
  • One (1) National Board of Review Special Recognition for excellence in filmmaking

Anyone wanna guess?

Anyway, some list facts:
  • This is Jean-Pierre Melville's first entry in the countdown, but he already had one come up in the Film Noir Countdown: Bob Le Flambeur at #63.
  • He's one of only three directors to crossover between countdowns so far. Some of the crossovers have already come up, others haven't come up yet. Can you find out who else has crossed over?

I forgot the opening line.
Oh, what a disaster for my ballot this specific countdown has been!

24. Dark City - I remember seeing this at the movies, and I had a pretty good time. I was excited to see Jennifer Connelly's career continuing strong with her getting good roles. Just a few years later she'd snag one in Requiem for a Dream, which was a huge step forward, and then it was Oscar time for her the year after when she was in A Beautiful Mind. I was also psyched to be watching Richard O'Brien on the big screen - a real rarity. The movie itself is a cool freaky sci-fi take on the whole noir formula. I bow down to the fact that this is actually a very clear neo noir film and as such belongs here more than some of my ballot choices and other dubious choices we've all made together.

23. Le Cercle Rouge - This is a great film. I'm not sure why I didn't include it on my ballot, but first and foremost in my mind was probably the fact that I'd only just seen it before putting my ballot together and I felt I'd need more time and another viewing to be sure of where it would fit in. Jean-Pierre Melville is great, and I also love Alain Delon. At the time of seeing it I said "...it's a moody, great looking film which pulls you into the world it's characters seem destined to inhabit without question, just as they seem destined to meet each other and share their ultimate fate." A very slow paced, deliberate film which lingers on every detail. The ending is red hot. Very much deserves a place on this list.

Seen : 53/78

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Oh, what a disaster for my ballot this specific countdown has been!

24. Dark City - I remember seeing this at the movies, and I had a pretty good time. I was excited to see Jennifer Connelly's career continuing strong with her getting good roles. Just a few years later she'd snag one in Requiem for a Dream, which was a huge step forward, and then it was Oscar time for her the year after when she was in A Beautiful Mind. I was also psyched to be watching Richard O'Brien on the big screen - a real rarity. The movie itself is a cool freaky sci-fi take on the whole noir formula. I bow down to the fact that this is actually a very clear neo noir film and as such belongs here more than some of my ballot choices and other dubious choices we've all made together.

23. Le Cercle Rouge - This is a great film. I'm not sure why I didn't include it on my ballot, but first and foremost in my mind was probably the fact that I'd only just seen it before putting my ballot together and I felt I'd need more time and another viewing to be sure of where it would fit in. Jean-Pierre Melville is great, and I also love Alain Delon. At the time of seeing it I said "...it's a moody, great looking film which pulls you into the world it's characters seem destined to inhabit without question, just as they seem destined to meet each other and share their ultimate fate." A very slow paced, deliberate film which lingers on every detail. The ending is red hot. Very much deserves a place on this list.

Seen : 53/78

If you're a person of a certain age, where you saw Labyrinth when you were young, and are attracted to women, then your life has been one long continuous crush on Jennifer Connelly.

I forgot the opening line.
If you're a person of a certain age, where you saw Labyrinth when you were young, and are attracted to women, then your life has been one long continuous crush on Jennifer Connelly.

I think both Connelly and Bowie left impressions on a lot of people's minds when they saw the film.

I think both Connelly and Bowie left impressions on a lot of people's minds when they saw the film.

Hundred percent.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
[*] He's one of only three directors to crossover between countdowns so far. Some of the crossovers have already come up, others haven't come up yet. Can you find out who else has crossed over?

Robert Rossen is one.

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. dark city is a good film but i haven't seen it in ages. le cercle rouge i've seen more recently and also think it's very good.

One of the first things I think about when I think about Dark City is Ebert's famous glowing review of the film. I thought this review was an immense credit to the film for awhile...until I read his similarly glowing review of Knowing (another Proyas) film, an interesting effort that was asking some pretty pedestrian philosophical questions, which nevertheless amazed Ebert. So I decided for all his many strengths as a reviewer, he was just really lacking in that department and therefore easily impressed by such things.

I still think Dark City is very good, though. It was 20th on my ballot.

12lists152points
Body Heat
Director

Lawrence Kasdan, 1981

Starring

William Hurt, Kathleen Turner, Richard Crenna, Ted Danson

14lists155points
Nightcrawler
Director

Dan Gilroy, 2014

Starring

Jake Gyllenhaal, Riz Ahmed, Rene Russo, Bill Paxton

TRAILERS

Body Heat - During an extreme heatwave, an inept lawyer begins a passionate affair with a beautiful Florida woman. When they hatch a plan to murder her rich husband, things don't go as planned.

Nightcrawler - A Los Angeles con man desperate for work becomes obsessed with the world of crime journalism and tries to make a career of it at any cost.

I have a whole lot of respect for Nightcrawler. It's a really well made film and one I couldn't look away from, even though I kind of really wanted to. Its story and its characters are intriguing but repulsive - enough so that I'll probably never watch it again. And that repulsion is what kept it off my 2010s ballot and relegated it to only #22 on my ballot here.

Here's what I wrote about it when I watched it in preparation for the 2010s Countdown:

Nightcrawler (Dan Gilroy, 2014)
(Recommended by @cricket)

In attempting to review this, I have a bit of a dilemma: Do I rate it highly, because it's incredibly well-crafted, or do I give it a more neutral rating because I don't think I ever want to watch it again?

Nightcrawler is incredibly well-crafted - and also aptly titled. It's crawling with soulless, slimy people in settings that are equally disgusting. Jake Gyllenhaal's Louis Bloom is equal parts intriguing and revolting as a freelance crime journalist who views his work more like a movie production and will go to terrible extremes to create the perfect shot.

And with all this spectacle of greed, carnage, and misery, I couldn't look away but I also felt somehow unclean for having watched it. It's an amazing film, but also one that is just, well, kind of icky and my lack of desire to see it again means it's unlikely to make my ballot.

I haven't seen Body Heat.

My Ballot:
1. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (#35)
2. You Were Never Really Here (#50)
3. The Man From Nowhere (#87)
4. The Departed (#53)
5. The Big Lebowski (#38)
7. True Romance (#60)
8. Zodiac (#30)
12. Shutter Island (#86)
13. The Nice Guys (#39)
14. Inherent Vice (#41)
15. Gone Girl (#34)
16. Pulp Fiction (#37)
17. Killer Joe (#66)
21. Dark City (#24)
22. Nightcrawler (#21)

Both are good films. I don't for either but they certainly earn their spots here on this list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Victim of The Night
I am with CitizenRules on Angel Heart. Though I might be more extreme.
I saw this movie when I was a teenager, when I was a huge Mickey Rourke fan, and I was from New Orleans. And I still just thought this movie was a dud. A stupid dud.
When DeNirois introduced at "Louis Cyphre", I think I actually spit out my Coca-Cola laughing. I was like, "Oh come on! That guy's name is Angel and this guy's name is Lou Cyphre?! I'm fifteen years old and I can write better than this!" I still can only look straight ahead these days because I rolled my eyes so hard I tore all the tendons. And DeNiro was just so out-of-place and ridiculous in this.
So I guess nodding to CR is ultimately just about how much I think it tanks in the second half. Obviously if you don't know how the plot's gonna go by at most the halfway point, you just haven't been watching the movie so then you gotta drag yourself through the second half which just doesn't really deliver.
Ugh.
Sorry to be a downer I've just always kinda hated that movie. I re-watched it maybe a decade ago thinking maybe my teenage and then college-age self had been too hard on it but I hated it exactly the same amount.

1 for 2 and neither made my list.

Haven't seen Body Heat. Never felt the urge to do so and still don't.

I liked Nightcrawler well enough. I do think it requires a re-watch at some point though. It's certainly not a feel good flick but Gyllenhaal's performance is so freaking nuanced and intricate. There's no way you get the full gist of it in a single viewing.

53 of 80 seen so far. I'm up to 10 of my picks accounted for with 20 reveals to go.

1. The French Connection (#58)
2. You Were Never Really Here (#50)
3. Get Carter (#49)
4. In the Heat of the Night (#98)
5. Blast of Silence (#48)
9. Thief (#29)
17. Dark City (#24)
18. One False Move (#73)
24. Point Blank (#72)
25. Collateral (#33)

Reply to Topic