Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger, Warren Oates, Peter Whitney

3lists36points
The Manchurian Candidate
Director

John Frankenheimer, 1962

Starring

Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, Janet Leigh

TRAILERS

In the Heat of the Night - A black Philadelphia police detective, mistakenly suspected of a local murder while passing through a racially hostile Mississippi town, pairs up with the white police chief to investigate the case.

The Manchurian Candidate - An American POW in the Korean War is brainwashed as an unwitting assassin for an international Communist conspiracy.

Been a minute since I have seen either of these, and neither left much of an impression. But hey, I’m 4 for 4. That’s the only thing that matters, right? Getting those check marks.

Two great films. The Manchurian Candidate is my #13. *Somehow, In The Heat of The Night didn’t make my ballot, but probably should have.

Seen: 3/4

I saw In the Heat of the Night fairly recent and I really liked it, but it's been a while since I've seen The Manchurian Candidate. Seen it a couple of times, though, and I'm a fan. Should probably revisit it one of these days.

A system of cells interlinked
Have seen both and both are great films. Looking over my list, I really leaned into the more contemporary neo-noirs, so neither of these made it onto my ballot. Both are totally deserving of a slot, but just missed the cut.

2/4 Seen

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#98-97. Both are well known titles.
In the Heat of the Night been on my watch list for many years still not seen.
The other film somewhat smells too political to me that's why I've never planned to see it.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT

RT – 96%, IMDb – 7.9

The Noir 'net said:

"In The Heat Of The Night is that rarest of films. Equal parts mystery, drama, and character study, it's a powerful crime thriller that succeeds on many levels." (read full review here)
Arun Starkey said:

"One of the most important films ever made. Whilst it might be a neo-noir mystery, it contains much more depth than this tag might suggest. The film remains one of the most damning visual indictments of America’s history with racism, bringing the themes of John Ball's novel into forensic focus." (read full review here)
@Gideon58 said:

"[Director Norman] Jewison creates an unerring tension that permeates the story throughout, creating that drippy, sweaty southern atmosphere that appropriately frames the story ... Grand entertainment that still packs a wallop." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE?

RT – 97%, IMDb – 7.9

Roger Ebert said:

"The Manchurian Candidate is inventive and frisky, takes enormous chances with the audience, and plays not like a 'classic' but as a work as alive and smart as when it was first released." (read full review here)
Jude Seymour wrote:

"The Manchurian Candidate incorporates most of the conventions of film noir. Besides its existentialist hero, it incorporates a femme fatale into its narrative structure ... The movie also employs a non-linear style to its narrative ... The last narrative technique that [it] employs that is similar to noir is that of 'free will versus fate'." (read full review here)
@mark f said:

"First off, let me discuss what 'genre' this film belongs to: political satire, thriller, science fiction, black comedy, film noir, tragedy, mystery, family drama, and that's just a start." (read full review here)

Both of these were on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1960s List. MISTER Tibbs and In the Heat of the Night (1967) were #76 while The Manchurian Candidate (1962) was passing the time with a game of solitaire at #34.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Only saw In the Heat of the Night once. I didn't care for it back then. It should get another shot though someday.

Not seen Manchurian

For a minute I was asking how I could have left Manchurian Candidate off my ballot since I hadn't checked in a few weeks, but alas I had it at #12. Watched it many moons ago but certain aspects stuck with me, would be nice to check it out again. IN the Heat of the Night needs another look.

Both are acknowledged classic films, for good reason. I did not have either on my ballot. The Manchurian Candidate, as brilliant as it is, doesn't fit my personal definition of Neo Noir enough to even warrant consideration. In the Heat of the Night has enough elements that I considered it, though ultimately I didn't even include it on my shortlist.

For those who have never gotten around to watching John Frankenheimer's The Manchurian Candidate or may only be familiar with Jonathan Demme's remake starring Denzel Washington, it really is a must-see. When put in the context of its day, post-McCarthy era and just before the assassination of JFK, it is a striking piece with Angela Lansbury perfectly cast as one of the greatest big screen villains.

As for a master class in editing, please see any of the brainwashing sequences.

Both are acknowledged classic films, for good reason. I did not have either on my ballot. The Manchurian Candidate, as brilliant as it is, doesn't fit my personal definition of Neo Noir enough to even warrant consideration. In the Heat of the Night has enough elements that I considered it, though ultimately I didn't even include it on my shortlist.
This is more or less where I stand with both. They didn't even cross my mind when making my list. But putting my personal point of view aside, I included links to some reviews that do acknowledge those noir-ish traits in both, so everybody, feel free to check them out.

On that topic, this link is a very brief statement from noir expert Eddie Muller on whether he sees The Manchurian Candidate as a film noir or not.

I've seen both The Manchurian Candidate and In The Heat of The Night, but so long ago I can't really remember them....due for rewatches!

AWARDS?

In the Heat of the Night was a critical darling, receiving many awards and even more nominations. Some notable wins:
  • Four (4) Academy Awards, including Best Picture
  • Two (2) BAFTA Awards
  • Three (3) Golden Globe Awards, including Best Drama
  • Rod Steiger won 8 of 9 awards he was nominated, including the Oscar
  • Sidney Poitier was nominated for three acting awards, but won none.
  • Stirling Silliphant won 3 of 4 awards he was nominated for the script, including the Oscar

Reply to Topic