Watchmen

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Well first, Doc Manhatten was way before Silver Surfer. But I do agree that NightOwl does look alot like Batman.

Why do the characters in this look like Silver Surfer and prototype Batman parodies?
It's funny because Watchmen came before Silver Surfer and before the darker Batman.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Darker Batman?

The film NightOwl looks different from the GN counterpart. They were influenced by Batman for this film, IMO.

Suspect's Reviews

Darker Batman?

The film NightOwl looks different from the GN counterpart. They were influenced by Batman for this film, IMO.
Before 1985, Batman was sorta comical, like in the 60's TV series. But in 1985, at least I think it's 1985, Year One came out and that introduced people to a darker Batman. Well actually now I can't remember, either Year One or The Dark Knight Returns came out, and that started a darker Batman trend.

I mean, the film craft looks really good but the story looks incredibly generic.
That's a pretty odd thing to say. You can't discern much of anything about the story from the trailer.

Year One = 87
Watchmen = 86-87
The Dark Knight Returns = 86

So they seem to have come out around the same time to me, not before.
I'm pretty sure Watchmen came out in 85.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i finally saw a preview for The Watchman and i was impressed.. so i will prolly see this once it comes out. now that i know more about it.

In the Beginning...
Well first, Doc Manhatten was way before Silver Surfer. But I do agree that NightOwl does look alot like Batman.
Alan Moore stated years ago that he originally wanted to use some of the old Charlton Comics characters, then owned by DC Comics, but for some reason they were made unavailable to him. So he modeled his own characters from existing Charlton characters, most notably The Question for Rorschach, Blue Beetle for Nite Owl, and Captain Atom for Dr. Manhattan. Others include Peacemaker for The Comedian and Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt for Ozymandias. While the Silk Spectre isn't overtly based on any Charlton reference character, she quite closely resembles Phantom Lady, a Golden Age DC character.

Watchmen was released in single monthly issues between 1986 and 1987.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
P.S. Am I the only one who really liked the art more than Alan Moore's writing.

Silver Surfer came out in 1966. (Fantastic Four #48)

The early 1939 Batman was a killer, dressed in black and with much shorter ears. The original Dark Batman (Detective Comics, #27).

Anyways, here is the new Japanese trailer for the film. It has some new footage as well, we see:
  • JFK in his car before he is assassinated
  • Richard Nixon shaking hands and laughing
  • The alternate ending sequence
Go here to watch the trailer.

I have to say that I am on the fence about Watchmen right now. I was in a more positive mood after the first trailer was released since the production values and cinematography looked spot on. And the music was a simply excellent choice.

Since then, especially after the release of the second trailer, my enthusiasm waned a bit. There were just niggling little details that picked away at what seemed so good up until then. For one Dr. Manhattan's voice sounds all wrong, instead of celestial and cold, it is simply whiny.

I have yet to give it a final 'Previction' on my blog, I want to see at least one more trailer before I bring the verdict down :P

Anyways, here is the new Japanese trailer for the film. It has some new footage as well, we see:
  • JFK in his car before he is assassinated
  • Richard Nixon shaking hands and laughing
  • The alternate ending sequence
Go here to watch the trailer.
WARNING: "Watchmen" spoilers below
We also see Hollis Mason getting killed.

Well I'm almost done with the book, I'm on the 8th chapter.
I thought you read the book before?

I thought you read the book before?
Well my friend told me I did, but I don't remember ever doing it, so I just read it, and came up that he got it confused with another book. But, yeah the book so far is pretty multi-layered and complex, but I already knew some of the stuff that had happened. But I have no idea what happens in the end or anything, so that's good.